Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,783 members, 7,810,044 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:15 PM

Nigeria Absent At UN Fundraising For Boko Haram Displaced People - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Absent At UN Fundraising For Boko Haram Displaced People (17081 Views)

Buhari Absent At The FEC Meeting Again As Osinbajo Presides In His Absence.PICS / Governors Loyal To Tinubu, Atiku Absent At Meeting With APC NWC / Ortom Donates Items To Agatu Displaced People (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Absent At UN Fundraising For Boko Haram Displaced People by OboloMAN: 3:11pm On Sep 26, 2015
The United Nations, Chad, Niger and Cameroon appealed on Friday for help for millions of people in the Lake Chad Basin region forced to flee the violence of Boko Haram and hit with repeated droughts and floods that have brought malnutrition and disease.

But while the radical Islamist militants operate out of Nigeria and U.N. aid chief Stephen O'Brien said that is where most people have been displaced by their attacks, Nigeria did not send anyone to the United Nations event.

U.S. and European Union diplomats said they were disappointed that Nigeria did not attend the event chaired by O'Brien on the sidelines of the U.N. General Assembly.

The Nigerian U.N. mission was not immediately available to comment on its absence.

A regional offensive by Nigeria, Niger, Chad and Cameroon earlier this year drove Boko Haram from much of the territory it held in northern Nigeria. But the militants have since struck back with a renewed wave of deadly raids and suicide bombings.

"These (displaced) families are being used as ammunition because it is the children that are used as bombers in markets and in train stations," said Chad's Foreign Minister Moussa Faki Mahamat. "Trade is virtually wiped out in this area."

Several U.N. diplomats at the event warned that the aid emergency in Lake Chad Basin risked being forgotten amid other humanitarian crises in Syria, Yemen and South Sudan.

Niger Prime Minister Brigi Rafini said the region was in the midst of a "genuine disaster."

"We need massive assistance from the international community," he said. "It is the population that has shared with these refugees and displaced people the little they have while they themselves are living in extremely vulnerable situations."

The United Nations said some 2.3 million people have been forced from their homes since May 2013, and a quarter of a million of them have fled from Nigeria into Cameroon, Chad and Niger, many walking hundreds of miles.

"Droughts and floods hit the region repeatedly. Malnutrition and disease outbreaks hover at emergency levels. Some 5.5 million people do not have enough to eat," O'Brien said. "The emergence of Boko Haram has pushed them over the edge."

O'Brien said U.N. appeals for 2015 to help those displaced people and refugees in Nigeria, Cameroon, Chad and Niger were all less than half-funded.

The United States on Friday announced $6.8 million (£4.48 million) in funding for regional aid efforts.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/09/25/uk-un-assembly-boko-haram-aid-idUKKCN0RP2IN20150925
Re: Nigeria Absent At UN Fundraising For Boko Haram Displaced People by ojun50(m): 3:15pm On Sep 26, 2015
Op don't worry the money is safe
Re: Nigeria Absent At UN Fundraising For Boko Haram Displaced People by OboloMAN: 3:30pm On Sep 26, 2015
ojun50:
Op don't worry the money is safe

If Chad , Cameroun , Niger will send delegates to this UN fundraising , Why won't Nigeria send delegates as a country worst hit by Boko haram?

Negligence on the part of this current government.

68 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigeria Absent At UN Fundraising For Boko Haram Displaced People by DaBullIT(m): 3:35pm On Sep 26, 2015
Yeah

I forsee that Some people will blame Buhari

Oh wait , one goat already did grin grin grin grin grin grin

You can't expect Buhari to be in two places at the same time

It's possible whoever was supposed to be at that fund raiser missed it

so stop quoting me and please for God's sake , I am not Buhari , i can not answer your questions , and I am in Nigeria grin grin Like all of you are and i also read the news like you do , I no be delegate o abeg so i no sabi wetin happen or why , but i sure say if na one person fault, that person go see PMB red eye

15 Likes

Re: Nigeria Absent At UN Fundraising For Boko Haram Displaced People by tafrica(m): 3:39pm On Sep 26, 2015
DaBullIT:
Yeah

You are the sycophantic goat. Tell me what the man said that was out of the line. He said Nigeria should have sent delegates if Chad, Niger and Cameroon could do that. Has he said much or even mentioned your god "buhari"? even if he did, is he not the leader of the delegates, were they sleeping when this session was held or busy taking pictures?

111 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Nigeria Absent At UN Fundraising For Boko Haram Displaced People by Flets: 3:40pm On Sep 26, 2015
DaBullIT:
Yeah

Now who should be blamed? Or you want to take the blame for him?

Buhari failed to send a delegation to a course that should be spearheaded by him. Rather he prefers to discuss AIDS and its effect on the main forum.

From every indication, Buhari's fight against terror is only in words. His actions and results has not shown a man interested in eradicating bokoharam.

76 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Nigeria Absent At UN Fundraising For Boko Haram Displaced People by OboloMAN: 4:08pm On Sep 26, 2015
DaBullIT:
Yeah

Lame comment, We should blame GEJ I guess?

53 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Nigeria Absent At UN Fundraising For Boko Haram Displaced People by DaBullIT(m): 4:15pm On Sep 26, 2015
In your mind now , Buhari should do every little thing that shows up, don't we have other people who could have gone ? So lame ish
tafrica:

You are the sycophantic goat. Tell me what the man said that was out of the line. He said Nigeria should have sent delegates if Chad, Niger and Cameroon could do that. Has he said much or even mentioned your god "buhari"? even if he did, is he not the leader of the delegates, were they sleeping when this session was held or busy taking pictures?
Re: Nigeria Absent At UN Fundraising For Boko Haram Displaced People by DaBullIT(m): 4:16pm On Sep 26, 2015
Whatevs , I can't shout, but a reasonable fella knows there are / should be people , offices and government agents whose duty is stuffs like this , Buhari's travels is not for tourism, a man can't be in two places, there's why you have VPs and assistants
Flets:

Now who should be blamed? Or you want to take the blame for him?

Buhari failed to send a delegation to a course that should be spearheaded by him. Rather he prefers to discuss AIDS and its effect on the main forum.

From every indication, Buhari's fight against terror is only in words. His actions and results has not shown a man interested in eradicating bokoharam.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Absent At UN Fundraising For Boko Haram Displaced People by DaBullIT(m): 4:18pm On Sep 26, 2015
So in your mind now , you must blame someone ?
OboloMAN:

Lame comment, We should blame GEJ I guess?
Re: Nigeria Absent At UN Fundraising For Boko Haram Displaced People by FreeGlobe(f): 4:19pm On Sep 26, 2015
Buhari went to US for sight seeing. Where is the Daura President going next?

52 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria Absent At UN Fundraising For Boko Haram Displaced People by chedet: 4:19pm On Sep 26, 2015
Maybe, just like GEJ, GMB was also drunk the night before!!!! grin grin grin grin

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Absent At UN Fundraising For Boko Haram Displaced People by 175(m): 4:20pm On Sep 26, 2015
I blame GEJ the fall guy for APC. . .

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria Absent At UN Fundraising For Boko Haram Displaced People by chedet: 4:25pm On Sep 26, 2015
DaBullIT:
Whatevs , I can't shout, but a reasonable fella knows there are / should be people , offices and government agents whose duty is stuffs like this , Buhari's travels is not for tourism, a man can't be in two places, there's why you have VPs and assistants

I thought GMB only appoint "competent" people, so who among those "competent" people forgot about the meeting? Should we expect heads to roll?

65 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria Absent At UN Fundraising For Boko Haram Displaced People by Nobody: 4:32pm On Sep 26, 2015
Cc: lasticlala FP material.. let's hear from others

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Absent At UN Fundraising For Boko Haram Displaced People by OboloMAN: 4:37pm On Sep 26, 2015
DaBullIT:
So in your mind now , you must blame someone ?

Of course yes, Someone must accept responsibility.

Nigeria did not send anyone to the United Nations event.

U.S. and European Union diplomats said they
were disappointed that Nigeria did not attend the
event chaired by O'Brien on the sidelines of the
U.N. General Assembly.

Abeg Ishilove, lalasticlala Who Should we blame for this negligence.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Absent At UN Fundraising For Boko Haram Displaced People by OboloMAN: 4:55pm On Sep 26, 2015
DaBullIT:

How can u miss a meeting on Boko Haram and How to end it?

The issue of displaced people was at the forefront and Nigeria does not attend?

What is more important to Nigeria ? Ending Boko haram or HIV AIDS?

To what effect was Buhari's Journey to the UN if he Missed the most important issue affecting Nigeria.

44 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Nigeria Absent At UN Fundraising For Boko Haram Displaced People by tafrica(m): 5:14pm On Sep 26, 2015
DaBullIT:
In your mind now , Buhari should do every little thing that shows up, don't we have other people who could have gone ? So lame ish

Did u intentionally leave out "delegates"? Nobody is saying Buhari should be there himself. As a leader of Nigerian delegates, he should have gone with serious people that know their onions and would know they should have been in that session. How do you paint it that Nigeria was missing at one of UN's sessions for IDPs when Baba and other Nigerian delegates went for the UN meeting, also knowing BH is, if not, one of our major problems,? It shows the delegates and their leader aren't serious and only went for sightseeing and photo session as usual.
So tell me who should be held responsible if not Buhari, the delegates leaders? Should you or I be blamed? Once the delegates failed in one of their missions to UN, Buhari and the whole delegates should be blamed. Who takes the glory if they achieve major highlights there? You?

33 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigeria Absent At UN Fundraising For Boko Haram Displaced People by DaBullIT(m): 5:23pm On Sep 26, 2015
Ask around
chedet:

I thought GMB only appoint "competent" people, so who among those "competent" people forgot about the meeting? Should we expect heads to roll?
Re: Nigeria Absent At UN Fundraising For Boko Haram Displaced People by DaBullIT(m): 5:24pm On Sep 26, 2015
Do you now realize your ranting on PMB was wrong??
OboloMAN:

Of course yes, Someone must accept responsibility.

Abeg Ishilove, lalasticlala Who Should we blame for this negligence.

Anger channeled to the wrong direction
Re: Nigeria Absent At UN Fundraising For Boko Haram Displaced People by kenny987(f): 5:31pm On Sep 26, 2015
DaBullIT:

Seriously! A man that practically based his govt on security and restoring the North East is too busy to be here? Are u not aware that d VP is away addressing d coup issue at Burkina Faso? Is Buhari not responsible for choosing his entourage? From the names of d ppl he chose, he couldn't get professionals or technocrats on hs team! All he had were former governors, sitting governors and his personal staff so who's fault is it?

He can't be everywhere yet he will not appoint knowledgeable ppl to work with him and u sit wherever u are encouraging this disgraceful one-man show? I understand u support n love everything he does but u need to draw a line! There is nk excuse for Nigeria which is d worst hit in the Boko haram issue not to have been properly represented! There is no way the Nigerian delegation was not informed of this event as part of their itinerary! That we were not represented is 100% Buhari's fault n ineptitude!

Leadership is not doing it all urself but effective delegation! He fails in that, then he fails totally and d buck stops with him as President!

40 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigeria Absent At UN Fundraising For Boko Haram Displaced People by kennyman2000(m): 5:33pm On Sep 26, 2015
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Re: Nigeria Absent At UN Fundraising For Boko Haram Displaced People by butanepro(m): 5:34pm On Sep 26, 2015
Who is going to rescue the poor from all these ?
Re: Nigeria Absent At UN Fundraising For Boko Haram Displaced People by Pavore9: 5:34pm On Sep 26, 2015
Waiting for an explanation.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Absent At UN Fundraising For Boko Haram Displaced People by omusiliyu(m): 5:35pm On Sep 26, 2015
This is serious.

Buhari must be blamed for this. Its the duty of Minister to assign representative for such event.

9 Likes

Re: Nigeria Absent At UN Fundraising For Boko Haram Displaced People by tym92(m): 5:35pm On Sep 26, 2015
K
Re: Nigeria Absent At UN Fundraising For Boko Haram Displaced People by Sunnycliff(m): 5:35pm On Sep 26, 2015
I don't no what just to say
Re: Nigeria Absent At UN Fundraising For Boko Haram Displaced People by CSTR2: 5:35pm On Sep 26, 2015
Who cares?
Re: Nigeria Absent At UN Fundraising For Boko Haram Displaced People by Richie0974: 5:36pm On Sep 26, 2015
Ooops.... So what was Buhari thinking, did he forget and not reminded? Does he even care about this displaced persons, does he have any plan to put an end to the insurgency? Am not an anti-buhari but the negligence on the part of this administration is becoming too much.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Absent At UN Fundraising For Boko Haram Displaced People by NgreportsBlog(m): 5:36pm On Sep 26, 2015
Naija Sex Story: How I Had Sweet Sex With My Crush
http://ngreports.com/naija-sex-story-how-i-had-sweet-sex-with-my-crush/
Re: Nigeria Absent At UN Fundraising For Boko Haram Displaced People by damton(m): 5:36pm On Sep 26, 2015
I'm sure there would be an explanation for this. don't want to jump into conclusion.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ambode Visits Rauf Aregbesola (Photos) / Niger-Delta Avengers Denies Meeting With Kachikwu Yesterday / Osinbajo Receives 2017 Budget From National Assembly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.