Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,823 members, 7,956,107 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 02:14 AM

Portuguese Flee To Mozambique To escape Eurozone Crisis, Why Not Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Portuguese Flee To Mozambique To escape Eurozone Crisis, Why Not Nigeria? (1648 Views)

Its Not Only Nigeria - Mozambique-to-limit-credit-cards-use-abroad / Top ISIS Member Arrested While Attempting To Flee To Nigeria / 480 Nigerian Soldiers Flee To Cameroon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Portuguese Flee To Mozambique To escape Eurozone Crisis, Why Not Nigeria? by Rilikoko(m): 7:14pm On Aug 15, 2012
No one would ever think that members of
the so called developed countries would
want to seek greener pastures in Africa, the
way Portuguese citizens are now moving to
Mozambique in search of greener pastures.
Mozambique had gained its independence
from Portugal in 1975, retaining
Portuguese as its national language. But
until recently, many Mozambicans see the
former colonial power as a land of
opportunity.
According to Consul General Graca Pereira
of the Portuguese consulate in Maputo,
there is a rise in experienced, university-
educated Portuguese migrating to
Mozambique looking for a brighter future.
In her words: “In the last two or three
years, people began to come increasingly…
Lots of people for small investments, some
others working with the companies, some
others working contract by other people. So
a variety of people.”
It is important to note that according to the
latest Global Peace Index, Mozambique was
rated as the third most peaceful country on
the African continent, coming after
Mauritius and Botswana. Also, In 2011,
Mozambique’s real gross domestic product
grew by 7.2%, boosted by the country’s
first overseas export of coal, as well as
strong performances by the transport,
communications, construction and financial
services sectors. The country’s economy is
also forecast to grow by 7.5% and 7.9% in
2012 and 2013 respectively.
Yes, Nigeria’s official Language is not
Portuguese. One cannot help but imagine if
this could possibly happen between Nigeria
and their former colonial masters. In the
same Global Peace Index referred to above,
Nigeria made it to the top five least
peaceful countries in the continent. One
only need to listen to the news in order to
be able to tell where Nigeria stands in
terms of economic advancements; the
country’s leaders are running helter-skelter
all over the world in order to “woo”
investors – at least that is what they claim
to be doing whenever they go on most of
their foreign trips. Kudos to the
Mozambique Government.
Source: CNN
And yet in dis part of d world called naija our leaders gallivant around d globe desperately looking fr foreign investors,when insecurity n corruption is d order of d day...*sigh*.d investors are nt daft nah!
Re: Portuguese Flee To Mozambique To escape Eurozone Crisis, Why Not Nigeria? by Rilikoko(m): 7:19pm On Aug 15, 2012
Re: Portuguese Flee To Mozambique To escape Eurozone Crisis, Why Not Nigeria? by dasparrow: 7:35pm On Aug 15, 2012
@Post

I don't see how portuguese citizens running to Mozambique will make any difference in the life of the average black African Mozambique citizen. The article said that the portuguese are running away from their economically broke portugal/eurozone in search of greener pastures and not to go and invest their money in Mozambique. When they (the portuguese) get to Mozambique, they will racially isolate themselves from the locals anyway.

Is that not what the white race does anyway? They isolate themselves from the black populace both in their home countries and when they live abroad in another man's country. We Africans need to stop being so gullible and ignorant. Having oyibos in one's country does not benefit the average black person. Just ask the black south africans and the american blacks ok?

Oyibos will make those places where they live amongst themselves in racial isolation beautiful and leave the rest of the country where blacks inhabit a mess. I don't know about you but I will not like to see oyibos/whitey fleeing to Nigeria because the average white person does not give a darn about the black race. They have more regards for their dogs and cats. And the sooner gullible black Africans get this fact into their thick skulls, they better for all of us. It is not a coincidence that they chose to enslave Africans for several decades so stop wishing for them to come to your country. Inferiority complex is a disease! Set yourself free!
Re: Portuguese Flee To Mozambique To escape Eurozone Crisis, Why Not Nigeria? by sbeezy8: 7:39pm On Aug 15, 2012
dumb portuguese live in EVERY portuguese speaking country, they have always been travelers,
Re: Portuguese Flee To Mozambique To escape Eurozone Crisis, Why Not Nigeria? by Rilikoko(m): 7:56pm On Aug 15, 2012
@dasparrow..if u go tru d post again u wil see d part where it is said dat "lots of d portugeese came fr small investment",nd u wil agree wit me dat SMEs contribute greatly to d economy of a nation.Even though I agree wit u dat we should nt wait fr foreigners to develop our country fr us,but it seems our govt thinks odawise wit a lot of our resource spent by d ministers n co to travell round d world to woo investors.
All am saying is with a stable n conducisive environment d govt doesn't need junketing around fr investors.
Re: Portuguese Flee To Mozambique To escape Eurozone Crisis, Why Not Nigeria? by Kenyaphilia: 8:02pm On Aug 15, 2012
dasparrow: @Post

I don't see how portuguese citizens running to Mozambique will make any difference in the life of the average black African Mozambique citizen. The article said that the portuguese are running away from their economically broke portugal/eurozone in search of greener pastures and not to go and invest their money in Mozambique. When they (the portuguese) get to Mozambique, they will racially isolate themselves from the locals anyway.

Is that not what the white race does anyway? They isolate themselves from the black populace both in their home countries and when they live abroad in another man's country. We Africans need to stop being so gullible and ignorant. Having oyibos in one's country does not benefit the average black person. Just ask the black south africans and the american blacks ok?

Oyibos will make those places where they live amongst themselves in racial isolation beautiful and leave the rest of the country where blacks inhabit a mess. I don't know about you but I will not like to see oyibos/whitey fleeing to Nigeria because the average white person does not give a darn about the black race. They have more regards for their dogs and cats. And the sooner gullible black Africans get this fact into their thick skulls, they better for all of us. It is not a coincidence that they chose to enslave Africans for several decades so stop wishing for them to come to your country. Inferiority complex is a disease! Set yourself free!

You are on point, just goes on to show you how simpleminded Africans can be. These simpletons are treated like trash in those countries yet celebrate when these people come to take away their jobs and use them as doormats.
Re: Portuguese Flee To Mozambique To escape Eurozone Crisis, Why Not Nigeria? by kutchs: 8:09pm On Aug 15, 2012
Is this not an attempt at ridicule? Stop being dumb. Why must it be Nigeria and not Mozambique, Angola or even SA? Is there any treaty or convention that demands that Europeans fleeing Euro crisis must come to Nigeria?
Re: Portuguese Flee To Mozambique To escape Eurozone Crisis, Why Not Nigeria? by Rilikoko(m): 8:53pm On Aug 15, 2012
kutchs: Is this not an attempt at ridicule? Stop being dumb. Why must it be Nigeria and not Mozambique, Angola or even SA? Is there any treaty or convention that demands that Europeans fleeing Euro crisis must come to Nigeria?
Ogbeni! why d naming calling.No, there is no treaty nd yes, fleeing Europeans are welcome in Nigeria as long as they wil contribute positively to d economy.Just like we Africans flee abroad fr greener pastures..
I created d thread just to point out the aspect of d relative peace enjoyed by Mozambique hence,d flooding of their country by d europeans....they did not beg them to come unlike our govt
Re: Portuguese Flee To Mozambique To escape Eurozone Crisis, Why Not Nigeria? by DisGuy: 9:50pm On Aug 15, 2012
dasparrow: @Post

Nah wa o. so when they start making their places beautiful, what will the blacks be doing, ogling? or waiting for Oyinbo to come and beautify their own backyards too? someone running away to make his daily bread will also be expected to make some bread for his neighbour?
Re: Portuguese Flee To Mozambique To escape Eurozone Crisis, Why Not Nigeria? by tpia5: 10:24pm On Aug 15, 2012
because their ancestors probably left mozambique for portugal/europe?
Re: Portuguese Flee To Mozambique To escape Eurozone Crisis, Why Not Nigeria? by af4952: 5:55pm On Aug 26, 2012
Hi all, Amanda here, I just joined.

For me, this is a fascinating topic as I'm considering relocating.

I just read this article and wondered how you guys might feel about it...

http://www.prycewarner.com/news-easier-tax-breaks-for-expats-in-portugal-260.html

Thanks, reply when you can, okay?!

AF cool
Re: Portuguese Flee To Mozambique To escape Eurozone Crisis, Why Not Nigeria? by FSU: 9:47pm On Aug 26, 2012
They are mostly looking for survival. Same way they are trooping to Angola, the other Portuguese speaking-country in Southern Africa

It sucks to be Portuguese or Greek now, but surprisingly Nigerians still troop out there looking for the left-overs.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/dec/21/europe-migrants-crisis-irish-portuguese
Re: Portuguese Flee To Mozambique To escape Eurozone Crisis, Why Not Nigeria? by asha80(m): 9:54pm On Aug 26, 2012
if i am not mistaken angola sometime ago bailed out the portuguese government.
Re: Portuguese Flee To Mozambique To escape Eurozone Crisis, Why Not Nigeria? by FSU: 9:54pm On Aug 26, 2012
Rilikoko:
Ogbeni! why d naming calling.No, there is no treaty nd yes, fleeing Europeans are welcome in Nigeria as long as they wil contribute positively to d economy.Just like we Africans flee abroad fr greener pastures..
I created d thread just to point out the aspect of d relative peace enjoyed by Mozambique hence,d flooding of their country by d europeans....they did not beg them to come unlike our govt

The key moment in this southerly migration may have come last month, when the Portuguese prime minister, Pedro Passos Coelho, made a humbling visit to Angola, begging for inbound investment. Just 36 years after the end of Portuguese colonial rule in Angola, its president was ready to show mercy. "We're aware of the difficulties the Portuguese people have faced recently," said José Eduardo dos Santos. "Angola is open and available to help Portugal face this crisis."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/dec/21/europe-migrants-crisis-irish-portuguese

The stuff in bold means that the Portuguese are begging Angola to come invest in Portugal.

(1) (Reply)

Is The Collection Of Tenement Rate By Local Governments In Lagos Legal? / Can Some On Confirm This Fact:- Cross Rivers Governor Is Dead / Why We Should Not Allow Bill Gate's Polio Vaccination In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.