Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,210 members, 7,829,342 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 03:22 AM

FG Boosts Gas Supply Topower Plants - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Boosts Gas Supply Topower Plants (824 Views)

Nigeria To Cut Gas Supply To Ghana Over Indebtedness / TSA Boosts Revenue Collections, As FAAC Shares N511bn In July – AGF / Nigeria’s Economy Largest In Africa As Rebasing Boosts GDP To $405bn (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Boosts Gas Supply Topower Plants by JustME7(m): 1:14am On Aug 16, 2012
IN an effort to ensure steady supply of electricity nationwide, fourmonths after the declaration of a Gas SupplyEmergency Plan, the Federal Government, yesterday, set a 12-month time-line to address seeming misalignment in the nation’s gas-to-power aspirations.
This comes as the nation’s power generation capacityreached an all time high of4.2GW. Addressing journalists in Abuja, Mrs. Diezani Alison-Madueke, Minister of Petroleum Resources, said the improvement in gas supply, which precipitated the noticeable increase in volume of power generation, was the result of aggressive infrastructure expansion and gas supply development initiatives.
She said: “Since the roll out of the plan, we have achieved major milestonesin the expansion of the Escravos-Pipeline System— the major gas supply artery to the power plants.
“This is part of the most extensive expansion ever undertaken on this pipeline network since it was built 30 years ago.”
She listed the items completed in the critical pipeline segments to include the 27kmX24inch permanent gas supply pipeline from Itoki to Olorunshogo via Ewekoro, all in Ogun State; the 56kmX24inch Escravos-Warri gas pipeline, doubling the pipeline capacity and enhancing gas evacuation from Escravos, and the 30kmX36inch Oben to Geregu pipeline.
She added: “The net impact of all these is the addition of 120 million cubic feet of gas per day (mmcf/d) to the grid and the permanent elimination of the challenges of low gas pressure that has plagued the Olorunshogo PHCN and NIPP power plants.

“We are also now well positioned to supply gas to the existing Geregu Power Plant and all anticipated future expansions in that axis.
“Specifically, with these interventions, we are now able to supply gas to the full requirements of Egbin,Sapele PHCN, Delta IV, Olorunshogo, both PHCN and NIPP plants, and Omotosho PHCN power plants.
“In addition, we are able to meet the requirements of two out of three turbines in Geregu and one out of two turbines in Sapele NIPP.”
Alison-Madueke said despite the obvious marked improvement in power generation as a result of the Gas Supply Emergency Plan, work continued on the implementation of the plan with further targeted additions.
She said: “In essence, between now and December, Nigerians can expect continued growth over the current all-time peak recorded by the Power Ministry.
“Going forward, this trend will continue as we finally address the underpinning challenges of the supply system.”
“I am convinced that we have effectively come out of the deep with the Nigerian power situation and would expect a steadyupward climb from here.”She added that major works on the Utorogu and Ughelli gas plants have reached completion stage.”

Some of the projected additions include: a further 65mmcf/d, within the next three to four weeks, to come from ongoing work at Oredo field, which will effectivelybridge outstanding gap in supply, enabling supply to all power plants on the Western axis.
It is also envisaged that the gross short term additions by September will be 245mmcf/d as opposed to the promised 180mmcf/d in the short term.

Earlier in the year, both plants recorded an all-time low combined output of 300mmcf/d as a result of some maintenance challenges. With the repairs, the combined capacity is now 360mmcf/d, which is a netaddition of 60mmcf/d.

SOURCE: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/08/fg-boosts-gas-supply-to-power-plants/
Re: FG Boosts Gas Supply Topower Plants by JustME7(m): 1:19am On Aug 16, 2012
We're moving. Up GEJ
Re: FG Boosts Gas Supply Topower Plants by dedeike: 2:04am On Aug 16, 2012
Reforms. Reforms. Reforms. That is what transformation agenda is all about. When I listed as part of GEJ's achievements last month the ongoing refurbishment of power plants and the strategic gas link up induced by upward review of electricity tariffs, so many wanted to chunk my head off.

But gradually it is manifesting. We are witnessing improved power generation owing to the aggressive infrastructure expansion and gas supply plans.
It is not yet Uhuru. This is just a tip of the iceberg. When SPDC completes the building of its gas plants in IMO state and other oil companies follow suit, there will be so much adequacy of gas for our NIPP thermal stations to generate power.

Under Jonathan, the nation has attained an all time high of 4500 megawatts and still counting. We have also revived the NIPP. it gladdens my heart that gas can now be supplied to GEREGU.
I have resolved not to make much noise again till the power reforms fully materialize.

1 Like

Re: FG Boosts Gas Supply Topower Plants by PhysicsQED(m): 10:04am On Aug 16, 2012
Good news. Up GEJ.
Re: FG Boosts Gas Supply Topower Plants by AmandaaaP(f): 10:14am On Aug 16, 2012
GEJ's Re-election is looking more likely by the day
Re: FG Boosts Gas Supply Topower Plants by JustME7(m): 10:25am On Aug 16, 2012
Amandaaa P: GEJ's Re-election is looking more likely by the day

GEJ is wise. He knows the problem of nigerians. As for me, come 2015, I will vote him. To hell with haters and the likes of them.
Re: FG Boosts Gas Supply Topower Plants by JustME7(m): 10:30am On Aug 16, 2012
dedeike: Reforms. Reforms. Reforms. That is what transformation agenda is all about. When I listed as part of GEJ's achievements last month the ongoing refurbishment of power plants and the strategic gas link up induced by upward review of electricity tariffs, so many wanted to chunk my head off.

But gradually it is manifesting. We are witnessing improved power generation owing to the aggressive infrastructure expansion and gas supply plans.
It is not yet Uhuru. This is just a tip of the iceberg. When SPDC completes the building of its gas plants in IMO state and other oil companies follow suit, there will be so much adequacy of gas for our NIPP thermal stations to generate power.

Under Jonathan, the nation has attained an all time high of 4500 megawatts and still counting. We have also revived the NIPP. it gladdens my heart that gas can now be supplied to GEREGU.
I have resolved not to make much noise again till the power reforms fully materialize.

At first, when GEJ started this transformation stuff, I didn't think he was going to be different from past leaders. He has finally known how to solve our power problem. We're really moving.

(1) (Reply)

Adenuga Conoil And The Cabal Behind Subsidy Scam / Another "Bomb" Fron Hon. Patrick Obahiagbon / Read If You Are Under The Age Of 40.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.