Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,743 members, 7,820,556 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:08 PM

HEAR African Nairalanders! YOU Can Help Save Our Cultures! - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / HEAR African Nairalanders! YOU Can Help Save Our Cultures! (1583 Views)

10 Most Expensive Cultures To Marry From In Nigeria / Yoruba Cultures - What You Want To Know! And What You Do Know! / Evil Or Dirty Nigerian Cultures That Should Be Abolished (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

HEAR African Nairalanders! YOU Can Help Save Our Cultures! by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:21pm On Aug 19, 2012
i got this inspirational idea from anonymous6's thread, "America Returns 11 Cultural Artifacts To Nigeria". Instead of depending on those white-fellows to act charitable and return it, or on customs department raids, or on the Nigerian Government (or any other African Government) from buying back these artefacts, it is time WE Africans buy back these artefacts ourselves, especially so it is your duty if the artefact belongs to your tribal/ethnic group. i a not telling you to buy everything. even buying one ora couple of ancient artefacts ensures they be brought back to our homeland. ofcourse the ones in the foreign museums is the responsibility of the African Governments. but i have noticed many antique African artefacts going on sale online for relatively cheaper prices. usually due to following economies, falling demand on antiques, house auctions from old homes, colonial esates, etc, selling off private collections to make a quick buck, etc.

Therefore i will hereby start posting such genuine rare antiquities yet relatively cheaper artefacts of our history.anyone interested (only African tribals), let me know and ill give you the online link. if the item belongs to your tribe,, and if it is of religious nature (idols,etc), you could build a small shrine for it (say in your home), or donate it or sell it to masqueraders (masks), or if it is not you could give/sell it to the local museum. It is however advisable not to keep them as mere decorations but to give them their due respect and make use of them.

my search is on. here goes the first one:
Re: HEAR African Nairalanders! YOU Can Help Save Our Cultures! by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:36pm On Aug 19, 2012
African Hemba Tribe Bearded Man w. Fur & Cloth Carved Singiti Statue

This is a carved wood Singiti Male Ancestor Figure/Statue from the Hemba Tribe in Africa.
It depicts a bearded man, slit eyes, open mouth with sharp short teeth, a fur hat and arm band, a cloth wrap and a rope bandelier.
Hands wrapped over swollen belly. Museum marks on the bottom.

Height: aprox. 20 1/2" (52 cm). Price: $ 300

Re: HEAR African Nairalanders! YOU Can Help Save Our Cultures! by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:46pm On Aug 19, 2012

Re: HEAR African Nairalanders! YOU Can Help Save Our Cultures! by Ptolomeus(m): 1:12am On Aug 20, 2012
Anonymous6?
Well ...
You (as often) has hit the mark.
$ 300 seems to be the price of history, culture and traditions ...
The colonialists banned robbed and traditions, and identity ....
Possibly the most painful are those intangible things that they stole ...
But I'm totalmnte agree with you ... this is also part of history and African identity.
Brother ... it is true that the reality is that many Africans have lost their identity, and face west with admiration, thanks to the ignorance imposed on them.
But it is also true that there are (we are) few, who are aware of these felonies that occur even in the XXI century ...
I fully support your proposal. We have to denounce, to publish Ambio in national and international outrage such cultural.
We look at what happened with pain since the eighteenth century, but today, four centuries later, the exploiters and the exploited are the same!
My respects to you!.

1 Like

Re: HEAR African Nairalanders! YOU Can Help Save Our Cultures! by Fulaman198(m): 5:22am On Aug 20, 2012
What I really want is Africans to stop degrading their own culture in favour of Western culture

1 Like

Re: HEAR African Nairalanders! YOU Can Help Save Our Cultures! by anonymous6(f): 5:43pm On Aug 22, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:
i got this inspirational idea from anonymous6's thread, "America Returns 11 Cultural Artifacts To Nigeria". Instead of depending on those white-fellows to act charitable and return it, or on customs department raids, or on the Nigerian Government (or any other African Government) from buying back these artefacts, it is time WE Africans buy back these artefacts ourselves, especially so it is your duty if the artefact belongs to your tribal/ethnic group. i a not telling you to buy everything. even buying one ora couple of ancient artefacts ensures they be brought back to our homeland. ofcourse the ones in the foreign museums is the responsibility of the African Governments. but i have noticed many antique African artefacts going on sale online for relatively cheaper prices. usually due to following economies, falling demand on antiques, house auctions from old homes, colonial esates, etc, selling off private collections to make a quick buck, etc.

Therefore i will hereby start posting such genuine rare antiquities yet relatively cheaper artefacts of our history.anyone interested (only African tribals), let me know and ill give you the online link. if the item belongs to your tribe,, and if it is of religious nature (idols,etc), you could build a small shrine for it (say in your home), or donate it or sell it to masqueraders (masks), or if it is not you could give/sell it to the local museum. It is however advisable not to keep them as mere decorations but to give them their due respect and make use of them.

my search is on. here goes the first one:

That is a good idea, many people from other cultures particularly Asians are doing this
Re: HEAR African Nairalanders! YOU Can Help Save Our Cultures! by kengis: 3:54pm On Aug 23, 2012
Good idea but many africans are busy working hard to get the last cell phone or jacket
Many take their own culture for granted
You can go to any european or american museum ,you'll find african artifacts even the sacred ones
westerners are hypocrite :they saw us as primitive but at the same time they're fascinated ...
L'art est africain

2 Likes

Re: HEAR African Nairalanders! YOU Can Help Save Our Cultures! by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:10pm On Aug 23, 2012
kengis: Good idea but[b] many africans are busy working hard to get the last cell phone or jacket[/b]
Many take their own culture for granted
You can go to any european or american museum ,you'll find african artifacts even the sacred ones
westerners are hypocrite :they saw us as primitive but at the same time they're fascinated ...
L'art est africain

grin im worried about that part. personal family problems and other commitments and all that. . that is why i didnt post much yet. .
Re: HEAR African Nairalanders! YOU Can Help Save Our Cultures! by kengis: 11:39pm On Aug 23, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

grin im worried about that part. personal family problems and other commitments and all that. . that is why i didnt post much yet. .

I was just being sarcastic lol
I was trying to say this is a good idea but I'm a bit sceptical since many africans(not all) don't value artifacts that much ,many would rather spend their money on a cellphone
But I do agree we have to deal with domestic commitments and all that ,you're correct
I was not making any generalization
Re: HEAR African Nairalanders! YOU Can Help Save Our Cultures! by anonymous6(f): 11:46pm On Aug 23, 2012
kengis:

I was just being sarcastic lol
I was trying to say this is a good idea but I'm a bit sceptical since many africans(not all) don't value artifacts that much ,many would rather spend their money on a cellphone
But I do agree we have to deal with domestic commitments and all that ,you're correct
I was not making any generalization

exactly, that is the reality of it, to me there needs to done by government organizations where their sole purpose is to find artifacts and etc of their people.
Re: HEAR African Nairalanders! YOU Can Help Save Our Cultures! by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:52pm On Aug 23, 2012
anonymous6:

exactly, that is the reality of it, to me there needs to done by government organizations where their sole purpose is to find artifacts and etc of their people.

never ever depend on the government. it is just a binding institution. always do things independently and dont wait or depend on others.
Re: HEAR African Nairalanders! YOU Can Help Save Our Cultures! by kengis: 12:16am On Aug 24, 2012
anonymous6:

Unfortunately ,gov organizations are M-A-I (missing in action) ...
Re: HEAR African Nairalanders! YOU Can Help Save Our Cultures! by anonymous6(f): 12:57am On Aug 24, 2012
kengis:
Unfortunately ,gov organizations are M-A-I (missing in action) ...

sad but true sometimes
Re: HEAR African Nairalanders! YOU Can Help Save Our Cultures! by kengis: 2:12am On Aug 24, 2012
I think non gov organizations should educate people about the importance of all these artifacts like national treasures
people should know how precious our culture is

1 Like

Re: HEAR African Nairalanders! YOU Can Help Save Our Cultures! by Fulaman198(m): 2:59am On Aug 24, 2012
My culture is here to stay, that I know for sure, although in Nigeria, it's presence isn't as strong as say in Mali or Niger for example.

1 Like

Re: HEAR African Nairalanders! YOU Can Help Save Our Cultures! by Fulaman198(m): 2:59am On Aug 24, 2012
I want to help many Africans maintain and keep their culture, but they just want to be Coconuts
Re: HEAR African Nairalanders! YOU Can Help Save Our Cultures! by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:12pm On Aug 24, 2012
Fulaman198: My culture is here to stay, that I know for sure, although in Nigeria, it's presence isn't as strong as say in Mali or Niger for example.

I agree with that. However it must be noted that West Africans are more culturally aware and work to preserve it when compared to Easterners and especially the Southerners.
Re: HEAR African Nairalanders! YOU Can Help Save Our Cultures! by Fulaman198(m): 5:20pm On Aug 24, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

I agree with that. However it must be noted that West Africans are more culturally aware and work to preserve it when compared to Easterners and especially the Southerners.

Some people may get confused by this statement because Easterners and Southerners are West Africans too. Although to me, they behave more European than African with their lust for money and always wanting to go abroad to Oyibo mans country. Someone taught me the term "coconut" recently, and I laughed so hard (it was a Yoruba man). That is what these people are.
Re: HEAR African Nairalanders! YOU Can Help Save Our Cultures! by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:38am On Aug 25, 2012
Fulaman198:

Some people may get confused by this statement because Easterners and Southerners are West Africans too. Although to me, they behave more European than African with their lust for money and always wanting to go abroad to Oyibo mans country. Someone taught me the term "coconut" recently, and I laughed so hard (it was a Yoruba man). That is what these people are.

no im not referring to 9ja Easterners and SOutherner . i was talking about EAst and South Africa.
Re: HEAR African Nairalanders! YOU Can Help Save Our Cultures! by Fulaman198(m): 5:11am On Aug 25, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

no im not referring to 9ja Easterners and SOutherner . i was talking about EAst and South Africa.

Ohhh ok, well Southern Africa has really suffered oo

Eastern Africa well depends on the country I think.

I think some parts of Kenya are not Westernized, same with Uganda (you see how strict they are against homosexuality), homosexuals can do w/e they want as long as it does not involve me, none should really judge them. Ethiopians are not really Westernized either I would say neither are those from Djibouti and I guess that fool Ayanle's country (Somalia). I don't know much about Eastern Africa, but from what I gathered, they aren't all that Westernized or Arabized. The Maasai for example in Kenya/Tanzania have managed to keep their age old culture.

Southern Africa on the other hand is a different story.
Re: HEAR African Nairalanders! YOU Can Help Save Our Cultures! by anonymous6(f): 2:09pm On Aug 25, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

Well I agree with this statement with eastern and southern Africa but Eastern and southern Nigeria is debatable though not clear cut.

(1) (Reply)

Top Best Drawing Sketch Portrait Painting Artist In Nigeria / My Argument Against Feminism / Iam An Igala, But So Much Adore This Tribe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.