Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,750 members, 7,809,867 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:22 PM

The Truth Behind Skype For The Blackberry - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / The Truth Behind Skype For The Blackberry (1837 Views)

See What Happens To The Blackberry Priv After It Was Turned Over Fire / How Much Do Nigerians Love The Blackberry / The Blackberry Thread: Apps, Faqs, Tips, Problems. .etc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Truth Behind Skype For The Blackberry by MurphyT1: 12:14pm On Aug 22, 2012
The truth behind Skype for the BlackBerry

Do you want to make FREE calls on your BlackBerry?

There are a number of Skype compatible applications which you can load onto your BlackBerry in an effort to contact others in a new and innovative way.

Are these applications worthy of your hard earned dollars, or even a free trial download?

Can our BlackBerry devices even handle the types of calls we are going to try and make?

Lets find out!

The Big Deal about Skype on the BlackBerry
So there is a big deal being made about having the ability to access Skype functionality on your BlackBerry. I myself have only used it as a curiosity on my PC at home, in an attempt to keep in touch with friends in South America. Due to a long series of technical glitches, my friends and I decided to abandon that particular method of communication at the time.

When I was asked to write this article, I thought to myself, “It would be great to be able to make free calls on my BlackBerry”. I then thought back to my troubling experience with Skype the first time around. Perhaps they have grown and will be more stable. Perhaps this will be an easy process this time around and Skype will actually enhance my life as so many other people have claimed it has enhanced theirs.

To tell you the truth folks, I am not really holding my breath on this one.

The Players
IM+ for Skype

Call Skype users on their pcs
See who is online and chat with Skype users
Call any destination for less
Skype SMS
Network Independence
One Time fee – Future updates are FREE
iSkoot

Stay connected to your Skype network while on the go
Enjoy Skype calling and chat functionality anywhere
Track your online status and those of your Skype friends
One click to call any Skype contact
iSkoot for Skype is FREE
WebMessenger Mobile

Sign in with your existing Skype account
Real time update of of your Skype contact list
High quality audio transmissions
Text Chat
Use SkypeOut to make calls to cellular and land lines
The Real Deal on Skype for your BlackBerry
The processor which is used in the most recent BlackBerry devices (Xscale) is only 312Mhz. This is nowhere near the 400 Mhz which Skype requires as a minimum for operation. Clearly these applications are jumping through a few hoops to bring you a pseudo Skype experience.

Additionally, all of these applications claim to allow you to make Skype calls from your BlackBerry. These statements, while technically true are very misleading. Your calls are not free in any sense of the word. You will be charged in two separate locations for your calling activities.

The first hit you will take is on your phone plan. The Skype client does not work the way it is implied. Instead of limiting access to just data functionality while placing a Skype call on your BlackBerry, the various software solutions will actually place a call to your BlackBerry, which then call out to complete the connection.

Does this not contradict the entire purpose of loading the software onto your BlackBerry in the first place?

The second place you will notice a hit is in your SkypOut credits. It sounds like such a sweet deal, sign up for an unlimited Skype account (Just under $30), ditch your phone plan and just keep the data. You will be be making calls left right and center and all your friends will be jealous of your low cellphone bills.

The reality is that each call you make is deducted from your SkypeOut credits. If you have no credits left — no call for you!

My Conclusions
In conclusion, I have to say that I will be staying far, far away from any of the current Skype applications for the BlackBerry. Do I make international calls on my BlackBerry? I sure do, but it is much more convenient (and economic) for me to just buy a calling card with kick ass rates whenever I know I’ll be communicating overseas.

It just makes no sense to me that I should pay for a Skype account and everything that entails, just so I can make calls at a slightly cheaper rate than normal. All this while still burning the minutes alloted to me by my provider.

I am sure that there are certain instances where the use of these applications would in fact come in handy. For people who find themselves wanting and needing Skype access from their BlackBerry on a regular basis, by all means, Skype away!

For everyone else, stick to Skyping on your desktop.

http://www.bbgeeks.com/blackberry-applications/the-truth-behind-skype-for-the-blackberry-88198/
Re: The Truth Behind Skype For The Blackberry by Camilia247: 12:59pm On Aug 22, 2012
I actually skype with my bb torch , it's fun
Re: The Truth Behind Skype For The Blackberry by amahtrendy(f): 1:59pm On Jul 03, 2015
Camilia247:
I actually skype with my bb torch , it's fun
How did u download it pls?
Re: The Truth Behind Skype For The Blackberry by Nobody: 2:08pm On Jul 03, 2015
alternatively try whatsapp or bbm voice call. it's crystal clear and consumes less data. I called my friend in USA for 12mins for just 5mb.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Truth Behind Skype For The Blackberry by kingsken29: 11:04pm On Nov 21, 2015
www.skype.com is the official website,available for login and signup for new account.you can absolutely download skype messenger even if you have not created an account,believe me that creating skype account is as simple as every other social network registration
[url]=http://www.nigeriangist.com.ng/download-skype-for-androidblackberypc-www-skype-com/[/url]

(1) (Reply)

IOS6.X Untethered Jailbreak - Jailbreak Your Apple Device / My Top 4 Mobile Networks In Nigeria / Physical Or On-screen Buttons: Which Is Better?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.