Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,910 members, 7,821,173 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:16 AM

Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? (25017 Views)

Reno Omokri: Senate Should Learn From Jonathan's Tolerance To Freedom Of Speech / Debunking The Over-rated Religious Tolerance Claim of SWners / Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Lordave: 10:02am On Aug 25, 2012
seedord247: We all know that Nigeria belongs to we YORUBA. for the past 12 years now, we've not heard of goons developing themselves to attack the nation. But other tribes that claimed to be naija have done more than worst. lipsrsealed

The Igbo's have been kidnapping and doing drugs local and international. cool

The hausa's (boko Haram) were killing pple for unknown fact. sad

The South South (Ijaw and co) developed mend to extorts money. angry

But we the Yoruba's have been praying severely for this country to get better bcus we know it belong to us. wink

God bless Yoruba's. cheesy
I'm sorry, but this is UTTER stupidity. You are of age aren't you? It baffles me frequently on how some people freely flaunt their foolish.ness ostentatiously here on Nairaland without really thinking of what the repercussion could be. .RESPECT.
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by seedord247(m): 10:10am On Aug 25, 2012
Lordave: I'm sorry, but this is UTTER stupidity. You are of age aren't you? It baffles me frequently on how some people freely flaunt their foolish.ness ostentatiously here on Nairaland without really thinking of what the repercussion could be. .RESPECT.

Well, As they say, we're tolerant not abusive. If my comment affect any part of your body, kindly remove it and donate it to herbalist Doctor. angry grin
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by samkoro: 10:14am On Aug 25, 2012
[quote author=ishmael][/quote]
That's the mistake both Christians and moslems make.The Jehovah of the bible is not the same as the Allah of God.Although in housa,malay and indonesian languages,Allah has come to be generic term used to refer to God.Spiritualy,Allah of Koran is not the same as God.Let's go to the koran

Allah did not rebuke prophet mohamed in coveting Zaynab the wife of his adopted son Zaid Ibn after seeing her naked.Mohamed found a way to justify his actions

King David of Isreal fell into an almost similar situation.He never justified his actions and Jehovah never condoned it.

The revelation of Allah gives approval to a kind of prostitution called MUT'AH.surah 5:87

Jehovah never condones adultery and fornication in any manner or under any guise

Allah will never be seen by moslems after death

Jehovah ; bible says blessed are the pure in heart for they shall see God

Allah supports wife beating in Surah 4:34

Jehovah never supports that at all eph 5:25-33,coll 3:19 and more

Allah intensionaly misleads to hell Surahs 16:93,13:27b, 25:8-9,42:44.etc Surah 4:88c says no one should lead a person who has been lead astray by Allah to the way of salvation

Jehovah never misleads,he gave man option of free will

Allah willed the black race to hellfire .Mishkat vol-iii,page 117

Allah --all true moslems will go to hell first before salvation,and not all will even make it to salvation except those that died while fighting jihad
Jehovah-promised direct entry to heaven to those who believe and live jesus christ.Because jesus has made the sacrifice with his costly blood.No more condemnation from the sins of Adam.

Allah compels his followers to hate jews and christian.Then if Allah is the same as Jehovah will compel people to hate and fight people that follow the lifestyle of christ?

1 Like

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Lordave: 10:28am On Aug 25, 2012
seedord247:

Well, As they say, we're tolerant not abusive. If my comment affect any part of your body, kindly remove it and donate it to herbalist Doctor. angry grin
yea it's pelucid that Yorubas are tolerant. Now tell me of what relevance is your previous post to this thread? Highlighting and picking to pieces crimes committed in other regions just to daint their images and spare your tribe the disgrace by tagging yourselves saint. Oh I see, saints are exclusively synonymous to Yorubas. RESPECT.
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by ib0221: 10:30am On Aug 25, 2012
reason 1:
historically, yorubas were tradtionalist from beginning den came islam. at d peak, some areas were fully muslims or predominantly like kwara n lagos while some were mainly like oyo, osun, n strongly like ogun n ondo while ekiti was minority. den came christianity datsaw to d conversion of mostly traditionalists and some muslims mostly because of western education. since den dere's still continous flux. 1 thing is certain dey believe dat you can change ur religion but not easily ur blood
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Simplesoul(f): 10:31am On Aug 25, 2012
Kindly find a 5.5KW output Generator for Sale. I bought it for my home early this year but I presently do not need itcos i have alternative.

I have not even used it at all since it was bought, no oil, no fuel, the accessories are still unfixed (more pics can be sent)

it is a big gen, bought for 110K but I am willing to give away at 90K (negotiable for serious buyers)

Contact me on 08069102484. I am in Ikeja

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by seedord247(m): 10:35am On Aug 25, 2012
Lordave: yea it's pelucid that Yorubas are tolerant. Now tell me of what relevance is your previous post to this thread? Highlighting and picking to pieces crimes committed in other regions just to daint their images and spare your tribe the disgrace by tagging yourselves saint. Oh I see, saints are exclusively synonymous to Yorubas. RESPECT.

So, most of what i mentioned mentioned there is false??

I'm not ignominy any tribe... I'm talking based on the fact of what's currently happening to my beloved country. embarassed
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by ib0221: 10:42am On Aug 25, 2012
at present it will be save to estimate that muslims are still very predomenant in kwara and lagos let say 90p, oyo and osun around 70(the only places where christians are many in osun are ilesha and ife groups infact a place like ede is almost 100p muslims); ogun should be around 45:45 while ondo should 75:20 in favour of christianity ekiti should have nothing less than 90 p christians. moreover, most are transitive in religion. perceived reasons for that follow.
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by prettyboi1(m): 10:51am On Aug 25, 2012
I'm not even yoruba but in all sincerity, the yoruba people are DEFINITELY one of the most religiously tolerant people in our beloved Nigeria. I've been to a lot of places in Nigeria & stayed in several regions in Nigeria. I even grew up in Ibadan. I say this AUTHORITATIVELY & ABSOLUTELY CONFINDENTLY. It's a good thing & I urge fellow Nigerians to emulate this character & also I ask our yoruba brothers & sisters to KEEP IT UP. GOD BLESS UNA JOH. GOD BLESS NIGERIA FOREVER. AMEN.
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by ib0221: 10:52am On Aug 25, 2012
reason 2,
yorubas have only one thing that is common, cherished above all things and deify n that is the language. once u can speak the language you are one and once u dont remind them that u are not one of them by name, distinct characterand culture. that is why you have what u called yorubanised groups. this reminds why i laugh when some insinuate that yorubas have derogative names of callin other persons or so. even yoruba make jest and abuse one another in positive ways.

2 Likes

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by abysirius(m): 10:58am On Aug 25, 2012
Desola:

Rebut my claim, then.

Are you Yoruba?
It's simple Adesola. Yoruba has 6 states (pls leave Kwara out of this) all listed as follow: Oyo, Ekiti, Ondo, Lagos, Osun & Ogun. Now we can do a general sampling comparing the major cities/towns with major population in each of these states mentioned above to see if the ratio of christians : muslims are equal or vary. But from my own view, I think they have an equal proportion. Osun and Ogun has more muslims. Oyo is balanced even though I can authoritatively say that Ogbomoso in Oyo is a christian town the muslims amidst them are more of outsiders. Ibadan...? I don't know really. Ekiti and Ondo I think are majorly christians dominated. Lagos I think is another balanced state. 'Osun' earlier mentioned will still be reviewed becos d Ijeshas cover about 0.5% of d entire Osun land and are mostly christians.
But generally speaking, I think d yoruba community is a balance 1 with regards to d population of d christians to the muslims.
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Lordave: 11:02am On Aug 25, 2012
@seedord It can be ascertained that most of what you listed are true, but it's also not complete because you deliberately excluded crimes ubiquitous in Western region from the post; courtesy of your biased mind. I'm pretty sure that most Yorubas who can reason perfectly well without a biased mind know what you were up to by posting such comment. I don't want to fall a victim to this, I'm out.
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Ninilowo(m): 11:06am On Aug 25, 2012
kunlekunle: in my home town,
there was a church situated on a street, 20 meters away from it, there was this mosque and almost opposite the church a shrine and by the shrine a joint.
there was never a clash.
Clash ke? In this kind case who will clash with who?
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by prettyboi1(m): 11:12am On Aug 25, 2012
seedord247: We all know that Nigeria belongs to we YORUBA. for the past 12 years now, we've not heard of goons developing themselves to attack the nation. But other tribes that claimed to be naija have done more than worst. lipsrsealed

But we the Yoruba's have been praying severely for this country to get better bcus we know it belong to us. wink

Why do people like you always have to come promote sentiments & derail good threads?
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by ib0221: 11:19am On Aug 25, 2012
reason 3,
yorubas are generally tolerant and religion can never be an exception.
reason 4, they are civilized and i think most affected by the polity called nigeria because amalgamation many yoruba cities were par with western world in terms of development.
reasons 5, they love life and merry making is their culture.
just give it to yorubas when it comes to tolerance.
@abysirius, visit that ogbomosho and go round do you know that soun is a muslim. your estimate is not very good .
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by ziccoit: 11:20am On Aug 25, 2012

cool cool
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by GudDoc(m): 11:26am On Aug 25, 2012
The truth is that, Yorubas are connected by an ideology not necessarily genes. The ideology is about respect for other humans, elders, do good, condemn evil etc. This forms a culture that most religion already preach, hence not disturbing our fine united front.

For non Yorubas living in Lagos and other south western states, they'll testify to the fact that they are never discriminated against. I have a friend who is from Benue, when she visited Lagos, she had an encounter with a bus conductor, she said she was amazed how other Yorubas rose up to her support (beating the conductor up) even though she couldn't speak the language.

The Yoruba mentality is about morality as opposed to religion or ethnicity. I served in Benue (love Benue to bits i must add). And it was surprising to me that a TIV man would rather support his brother whether he's right or wrong against a non-indigene, as long as he's also a tiv person then they are cool with him.

In sharp contrast (how yorubas are typically raised) if there is an ish, we want to know who is right or wrong, we would rather condemn our own by judging them on higher moral grounds. Lagos was a formal capital, but it's sustained relevance has to do with this same tolerance we are talking about.

In closing, I have an uncle that paid my way through university, he's a Muslim and he never for once gave me a pre-condition for the help (i.e convert to a Muslim). I also live with another Muslim uncle. My current boss is a spirit filled devoted christian, his best friend (of over 40yrs) is an Alhaji. They do business together, eat together, it's like they can almost not survive without seeing each other in a day.

All in all, as long as you are well behaved, the Yoruba people have no problems with you, be you Igbo, Hausa, Tiv, Christian or Muslim.

***Im surprised when Igbos say Yorubas hate them, i know the ones living in the south west will never say such a thing because we make them feel at home, except for the wayward ones. - ask don jazzy, ask p square, ask ruggedman (we luv them and they luv us too)

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by ziccoit: 11:28am On Aug 25, 2012
Yes because Yoruba allocates utmost respect to the family stability. When you can't trace your genealogy what do you expect?

1 Like

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Tropilo(m): 11:35am On Aug 25, 2012
kunlekunle: in my home town,
there was a church situated on a street, 20 meters away from it, there was this mosque and almost opposite the church a shrine and by the shrine a joint.
there was never a clash.

A very good number of Yoruba's go to church but still keep their juju under their beds. Somehow, Desola summed it all up in a subtle manner.
As for the muslems, i think its a more general practise to consult both juju and allah even though both are the same.

1 Like

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by sammyjay441: 11:36am On Aug 25, 2012
yes u are absolute right
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by basher(m): 11:45am On Aug 25, 2012
Sisi_Kill: I can't believe this is even up for discussion. I mean isn't it a given that the Yorubas are more tolerant and not just in religion. They have a healthy respect for other people's culture too.

The Yorubas have a live and let live attitude about life and it is because they are so secure in who they are, there is no fear about the other person. . .culture, religion, tribe trying to ride over them. Unfortunately this is also their undoing because it makes them come off as wishy washy and "cultureless" to those who believe strongly that anything outside their tribe is subpar.

I didn't observe that "live and let live" attitude in this thread - https://www.nairaland.com/1023852/answers-common-questions-igbo-people/19#11893717
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by sconsults: 12:00pm On Aug 25, 2012
Most nigerian people are tolerant of other religions as far as they speak the same languages.the problem arises when you are of differnt tribe and religion.

1 Like

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Sweetnecta: 12:11pm On Aug 25, 2012
@Ileke idi:
by *Ileke-IdI: 2:28am

My Ekiti sister, how you dey? kiss

Weren't you trying to turn me towards Islam a while ago? Now it's Desola's turn? grin grin
more like yoruba broda. This yank is no gal. You, 'Desola, Dayokanu [both with Islamic blood]', afam4eve and everyone on the planet are being invited to success; the way of God, the path of guidance which each messenger and prophet [as] brought from their Lord.

while Islam is not by force because the heart is not something that one person can make another change in sincerity using force. In spite of the tolerance of the yorubas when it comes to religion, it is a duty on believers to invite with wisdom and good words and manners. No one wishes to attain spiritual success alone but always along with all people. God is Merciful and His Mercy extends upon all creation. I ask people like you who were never muslims to invite me to what they believe. People like Dayo to invite to their religion if they are sure. People like Desola to invite me to their new religion. People like Afam4eva to invite to their religion.

I have not seen any who has taken me on and able to handle the questions i asked. I do invite people to Islam. This is the right course of guidance, in spite of the likes of the ignorance that permeates and seem to be synonymous with Islam because of the falsehood preached by the likes of Nigerian Boko Haram, The Al Qaidah, Taliban and others.

I have investigated almost all major world religions and I found Islam to e truly the only sound and natural religion that the normal heart of man can accept. Quran calls man to examine it and reflect on its contents and is there a way other than it?
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by idnole4(m): 12:12pm On Aug 25, 2012
Hegemony and Culture: Politics and Religious Change among the Yoruba. By David D. Laitin. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1986. Pp. xiii + 252.

In the constitutional debates that preceded the 1979 presidential constitution in Nigeria, “the issue that generated the most heat, however, both in the press and in the Constituent Assembly, concerned the role of the Federal Sharia Court of Appeal (FSCA) in the Second Republic”. Many of Nigeria’s Muslim saw the sharia court as a symbol of political freedom. “Yet these same courts were seen by many Nigerian Christian as the symbol of potential Muslim domination in Nigeria.”

With this sensitive divisive issue that has sent many nations to religious wars with great consequences, Nigeria leaders through the constituent assembly was able to preserve the hope of Nigerian democracy by settling the issue amicably, with compromise.

However, the religion divide is not the deepest cleavage throughout Nigerian society, “at the time of independence, each of Nigeria’s three regions was led by a major tribal group: in the north, the Hausas-Fulanis; in the east, the Igbos; and in the west, the Yorubas. Each of the regions had different interests, and national politics involve bargaining among the three majority tribes.” Nigeria division along the major tribal and religious lines after all do not do justice to the socio-cultural realities of the nation as many minor ethnic groups see this persisting dominance…

Political Analysis of the Sharia issue

...the Yoruba were moderate on the issue, “they were the least extreme on this issue”. p.9 “Moderates included both pro-FSCA members who acknowledged the difficulties involved yet supported the FSCA as the best companies and anti-FSCA members who emphasized the technical problems involved in the proposal but did not rule out some accommodation.” p.9 “Extremists took heavily ideological positions, sometimes threatening the oppositions”.

“…the Yoruba delegates created the ideological underpinning that permitted the Second Republic to become established without bipolar religious conflict.”

“…the Christian-Muslim divide in Yorubaland, far from fanning the flames of religious conflict in Nigeria, actually built the foundation for compromise. From the outside, this looks to be a case of unnatural toleration.”
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by maigaskiya1: 12:30pm On Aug 25, 2012
Desola:

That you've lived all your life in Yorubaland and travelled extensively within it does not make you know didly squat! You might know a bit through research but you didn't live it as a Yoruba. There are some core values which are invested in us as Yorubas that you, no matter how much you rub shoulders with us or even marry into our tradition that can never be prof-erred upon you. Aside that, there is travelling and there is living it. You, have only lived your life as an ibo man in the west but not as a Yoruba man. The different is stark.
i thank god that wit ds quote u kan se hw tolerable a yoruba man is.just an argument u hav beng rembrd ur root dat is 2say no matr ur contributn or ur duratn in a yoruba land a yoruba dude dnt considr u 2be a mere afiliate 2belev u hav a gud idea of dia cultrue.i belev ds quote shuld be directd 2d eye servicd yoruba man dat cals hmsf an ibo man.sekng a cheap atentin.4ur info ogbeni dm no dy gve award 4 nl o.anu mpam

2 Likes

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by maigaskiya1: 12:34pm On Aug 25, 2012
Aderostock: Please, please and please! Afam4eva and Desola shld not bring rifts between my yoruba people cos it won't work. We are the most tolerants. Shikena
no dy decev ur slf.wat makes u more tolerable dan an ijaw man or calabar even an idoma nt 2tok of an ibo man.any go nd pay d he goat dat wrote ds thread hs balance
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by AlhajiPastor: 1:08pm On Aug 25, 2012
WE JUST HAVE TO GIVE IT TO THEM (YORUBA) I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANY TRIBE THAT IS AS ACCOMODATING AS THE YORUBA, THESE ARE GROUP OF PEOPLE THAT ARE SO CONTENTED WITH WHAT THEY HAVE, RELIGIOUS WISE; THEY ARE SO ACCOMODATING; I HAVE SEEN A FAMILY WHERE THE HUSBAND IS A MUSLIM AND THE WIFE IS A CHRISTIAN. I HAVE SEEN A FAMILY OF FOUR WHERE TWO ARE MUSLIM AND TWO ARE CHRISTIANS; AND THEY CO-EXIST PEACEFULLY. I BELIEVE IT REALLY HAS TO DO WITH THEIR CULTURAL VALUE. SOME OTHER TRIBES MAY TERM THEM AS BEING COWARD; BUT I TEND TO DISAGREE WITH THEM, YORUBAS ARE VERY BRAVE AND INTELLIGENT. AN AVERAGE YORUBA MAN WOULD ALLOW YOU TO POUR ABUSIVE WORD ON HIM AND LATER APOLOGIZE FOR THE SAKE OF PEACE. I MYSELF AM NOT A YORUBA MAN; BUT I'VE LIVED WITH THEM AND ALSO TASTED OTHER TRIBES IN NIGERIA, I GIVE IT TO THEM AND ANY DAY ANYTIME THEY EARN MY RESPECT.

1 Like

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by flexdee(m): 1:51pm On Aug 25, 2012
mai gaskiya: Wit ds tread i must comend ibo guy dat wrote it showng dat an ibo man is nt tribalistic.bt u kan neva se a yoruba man cm out nd admit a positive remark on d ibos.bt 2d topic i disagre a bit becos d ibos nd yorubas hav d same level of tolerance via religon.if u doubt me y is it dat d yoruba muslims in kwara refusd d buildng of a chuch rite oposite dia central mosque dy even went as far as atakng wokers at site.bt d man writng ds thread is telng u wer ibos alow d sitng of a mosrue sid by sid wit a chuch.abeg mak una no dy alow ds yaraba pepl head dy swel.unecesery credit

Kai Mallam, ya kana a ka? Kana I mogana bansa! If u don't like YORUBA people just be bold enough to say it instead of this flimsy excuse. We need to learn, understand and appreciate where our strength lies irrespective of where you are from I.e Yoruba, Igbo & Hausa. This is not about ethnicity ok?
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by AlhajiPastor: 2:09pm On Aug 25, 2012
WE JUST HAVE TO GIVE IT TO THEM (YORUBA) I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANY TRIBE THAT IS AS ACCOMODATING AS THE YORUBA, THESE ARE GROUP OF PEOPLE THAT ARE SO CONTENTED WITH WHAT THEY HAVE, RELIGIOUS WISE; THEY ARE SO ACCOMODATING; I HAVE SEEN A FAMILY WHERE THE HUSBAND IS A MUSLIM AND THE WIFE IS A CHRISTIAN. I HAVE SEEN A FAMILY OF FOUR WHERE TWO ARE MUSLIM AND TWO ARE CHRISTIANS; AND THEY CO-EXIST PEACEFULLY. I BELIEVE IT REALLY HAS TO DO WITH THEIR CULTURAL VALUE. SOME OTHER TRIBES MAY TERM THEM AS BEING COWARD; BUT I TEND TO DISAGREE WITH THEM, YORUBAS ARE VERY BRAVE AND INTELLIGENT. AN AVERAGE YORUBA MAN WOULD ALLOW YOU TO POUR ABUSIVE WORD ON HIM AND LATER APOLOGIZE FOR THE SAKE OF PEACE. I MYSELF AM NOT A YORUBA MAN; BUT I'VE LIVED WITH THEM AND ALSO TASTED OTHER TRIBES IN NIGERIA, I GIVE IT TO THEM AND ANY DAY ANYTIME THEY EARN MY RESPECT.
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by musty1987(m): 2:35pm On Aug 25, 2012
Naval sadiq(m): 8:33am
WE ARE ALL AWARE OF THE FACT
THAT THE YORUBA'S ARE
HYPOCRITES IN NATURE.BUT
WHEN IT COMES TO THE ISSUE OF
RELIGIOUS TOLERANCE WE MUST
GIVE THEM THE CREDIT.

oh boy ur madness no b here

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Obiano, Tinubu, Amosun, Kalu And Akande At SUN Award: Caption The Photo / God Helped Me To Defeat Amaechi - Jang / Prince Dayo Adeyeye Dumps PDP, Says He’s Being Wooed By Five Parties

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.