Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,048 members, 7,818,152 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:02 AM

How Does An Atheist Repent? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Does An Atheist Repent? (3226 Views)

How Can You Prove To An Atheist That God Exists? / Seun Kuti Is Happy, He Is An Atheist / What Does An Atheist Believe Happens After Death? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Does An Atheist Repent? by mkmyers45(m): 11:49am On Aug 24, 2012
Do you as an Atheist ever consider yourself as having committed a sin/sins?

From an Atheist perspective, what is a sin. If you have committed a sin, how do you repent, what do you do after it?

Is there a need to repent? If you do something to someone, I can understand the feeling to feel sorry for what you have done, but what about when you do something which is wrong but doesn't affect anyone but you?

Is there a concept of sin and repentance in Atheism?
Re: How Does An Atheist Repent? by plaetton: 1:00pm On Aug 24, 2012
mkmyers45: Do you as an Atheist ever consider yourself as having committed a sin/sins?

From an Atheist perspective, what is a sin. If you have committed a sin, how do you repent, what do you do after it?

Is there a need to repent? If you do something to someone, I can understand the feeling to feel sorry for what you have done, but what about when you do something which is wrong but doesn't affect anyone but you?

Is there a concept of sin and repentance in Atheism?

Athieism is not philosophical proposition. Atheists are not a homogeneous group that share certain certain creeds or code of conduct. No.
aside from not believing in supernatural deities, an atheist is just like any other human being, having the normal idiosyncraciess that come with being human.

Atheists have never claimed to be possessors of superior moral codes.
Being a prisoner of no religious creed, an atheist is more likely to take responsibility for his actions. An atheist, just like everyone else , may never be able to rise above the moral and ethical thresholds of his environment. For example, a corrupt nation will most likely have corrupt christians, moslems and atheists.

Therefore, an atheist is also subject to the same feelings of guilt, remorse,contrition,pretence, hypocrisy and rationalisation when confronting his own sins and weaknesses.

The only difference between an atheist and a theist in this case is that the atheist does not blame the devil for his weaknesses and does not Award himself a get-out-of-jail card in the form of prayer and forgiveness.

4 Likes

Re: How Does An Atheist Repent? by mkmyers45(m): 1:47pm On Aug 24, 2012
plaetton:

Athieism is not philosophical proposition. Atheists are not a homogeneous group that share certain certain creeds or code of conduct. No.
aside from not believing in supernatural deities, an atheist is just like any other human being, having the normal idiosyncraciess that come with being human.

Being a prisoner of no religious creed, an atheist is more likely to take responsibility for his actions. An atheist, just like everyone else , may never be able to rise above the moral and ethical thresholds of his environment. For example, a corrupt nation will most likely have corrupt christians, muslims and atheists.

Therefore, an atheist is also subject to the same feelings of guilt, remorse,contrition,pretence, hypocrisy and rationalisation when confronting his own sins and weaknesses.

The only difference between an atheist and a theist in this case is that the atheist does not blame the devil for his weaknesses and does not Award himself a get-out-of-jail card in the form of prayer and forgiveness.

@First-Bolded: Many will strongly disagree with you as many atheist try to ascribe higher levels of morality to atheists...

@Second-Bolded: How do you confront your own sins? How do you even define what is sin to yourself?
Re: How Does An Atheist Repent? by truthislight: 2:03pm On Aug 24, 2012
mkmyers45:

@First-Bolded: Many will strongly disagree with you as many atheist try to ascribe higher levels of morality to atheists...

@Second-Bolded: How do you confront your own sins? How do you even define what is sin to yourself?

from what you have shown him it shows that to some atheism is just a convenient way of living the life that suit them/convenient to them so as not to have to answer to anyone. Eg, a deity.
Re: How Does An Atheist Repent? by plaetton: 2:22pm On Aug 24, 2012
mkmyers45:

Firstly, atheists aspire to higher levels of ethics and morality, independent of any devine perogatives. That is very different from saying that we [b]possess [/b]it.
It would be arrogance for any atheists to claim so.

Secondly,Sin is a religious term. Good and bad are universally defined in todays global village.
Like someone posted yesterday, only evil people would need a wrathful deity in order to discern good and bad.
We think that humans have matured and transcended that level.
Re: How Does An Atheist Repent? by mkmyers45(m): 2:25pm On Aug 24, 2012
truthislight:

from what you have shown him it shows that to some atheism is just a convenient way of living the life that suit them/convenient to them so as not to have to answer to anyone. Eg, a deity.

He was trying to make a point about asking forgiveness....anyway taking up your point i can say that its possible many make the choice of theism/atheism because they feel they should or should not answer to someone.
Re: How Does An Atheist Repent? by plaetton: 2:30pm On Aug 24, 2012
truthislight:

An atheist is part and parcel of the society and is therefore subject to the laws, customs and traditions of his society.
Therefore, an atheist submits himself to and is answerable to the laws, ethics and morals of his society.

unlike religious people, an atheist takes immediate responsibility for his actions and does not have the luxury of blaming the devil or relying on prayer and forgiveness as a get-out-of-jail card to free him from taking personal responsibility.

So, you, it seems, are the one who does not want to answer to anyone.
Re: How Does An Atheist Repent? by jayriginal: 2:35pm On Aug 24, 2012
Sin, I think, is a religious concept. Now if it is, how can a person without religion "sin" ?
Re: How Does An Atheist Repent? by mkmyers45(m): 2:36pm On Aug 24, 2012
plaetton:

Firstly, atheists aspire to higher levels of ethics and morality, independent of any divine prerogatives. That is very different from saying that we possess it.
It would be arrogance for any atheists to claim so.

Secondly,Sin is a religious term. Good and bad are universally defined in todays global village.
Like someone posted yesterday, only evil people would need a wrathful deity in order to discern good and bad.
We think that humans have matured and transcended that level.

You know that something 'bad' cannot be universally defined as truly bad as it may pass for acceptable elsewhere? Discerning good and bad to you as an atheist was achieved by what means?
Re: How Does An Atheist Repent? by mkmyers45(m): 2:37pm On Aug 24, 2012
jayriginal: Sin, I think, is a religious concept. Now if it is, how can a person without religion "sin" ?

Lemme re-phrase how do you as an atheist repent of bad deeds?
Re: How Does An Atheist Repent? by plaetton: 2:42pm On Aug 24, 2012
mkmyers45:

Show contrition, make amends. Simple
Re: How Does An Atheist Repent? by plaetton: 2:46pm On Aug 24, 2012
mkmyers45:

You know that something 'bad' cannot be universally defined as truly bad as it may pass for acceptable elsewhere? Discerning good and bad to you as an atheist was achieved by what means?

Like I said before, atheist do not live on a deserted island by themselves. An atheist cannot fashion his own set of laws or moral codes within his society. So whatever is considered good or bad in a society also applies to atheists.
Most of society's laws and norms are not religious based. It is an error to assume so.
The only thing that an atheist divorces himself from are religious dogmas.
Re: How Does An Atheist Repent? by jayriginal: 3:10pm On Aug 24, 2012
mkmyers45:

Even the term "repent" seems to be a religious concept.

Do atheists do things they regret ? Of course.

I'm not even sure how to address this cos the word "repent" is interfering with my thoughts.

I'll just say along with plaetton
plaetton:

Show contrition, make amends, and take steps to see it doesnt repeat itself. Simple

Re: How Does An Atheist Repent? by mkmyers45(m): 3:14pm On Aug 24, 2012
jayriginal:

I'm not even sure how to address this cos the word "repent" is interfering with my thoughts.

Obviously there must be a word lol
Re: How Does An Atheist Repent? by mkmyers45(m): 3:17pm On Aug 24, 2012
plaetton:

Like I said before, atheist do not live on a deserted island by themselves. An atheist cannot fashion his own set of laws or moral codes within his society. So whatever is considered good or bad in a society also applies to atheists.
Most of society's laws and norms are not religious based. It is an error to assume so.
The only thing that an atheist divorces himself from are religious dogmas.

What about restitution?
Re: How Does An Atheist Repent? by plaetton: 3:21pm On Aug 24, 2012
mkmyers45:

What about restitution?
That is a logical part of showing contrition.
Re: How Does An Atheist Repent? by mkmyers45(m): 3:32pm On Aug 24, 2012
plaetton:
That is a logical part of showing contrition.

Do you feel sorry for committing selfish deeds even though they may not affect others negatively?

An example to go with the above question is not giving money to a beggar. A beggar comes to you asking for some money and you just lie and tell them that you don't have any money on you or some other excuse.

Maybe that's not the best example but it's close to what I mean.
Re: How Does An Atheist Repent? by plaetton: 3:49pm On Aug 24, 2012
mkmyers45:

Do you feel sorry for committing selfish deeds even though they may not affect others negatively?

An example to go with the above question is not giving money to a beggar. A beggar comes to you asking for some money and you just lie and tell them that you don't have any money on you or some other excuse.

Maybe that's not the best example but it's close to what I mean.

Yes ofcourse.
Just like everyone else,sometimes I deny and rationalise my misdeeds, sometimes I feel guilty and sorry for them, most times I do my best to make amends and atone for my misdeeds.

The boy scout creed of doing at least one good deed everyday seems to be more important to me than most religious creeds.

The Rotary club's 4-way test is for me, a very good moral and ethical guide upon which to build and sustain a positive life, and by extension,a positive society.

The Rotary club's 4-way test;

1. Is is the truth?
2. Is it fair to all concerned?
3. Will it build goodwill and better friendship?
4. Will it be beneficial to all concerned?
Re: How Does An Atheist Repent? by mkmyers45(m): 5:31pm On Aug 24, 2012
plaetton:

Yes ofcourse.
Just like everyone else,sometimes I deny and rationalise my misdeeds, sometimes I feel guilty and sorry for them, most times I do my best to make amends and atone for my misdeeds.

The boy scout creed of doing at least one good deed everyday seems to be more important to me than most religious creeds.

The Rotary club's 4-way test is for me, a very good moral and ethical guide upon which to build and sustain a positive life, and by extension,a positive society.

1. Is is the truth?

Can you make an example with the 4-way test?
Re: How Does An Atheist Repent? by plaetton: 6:00pm On Aug 24, 2012
mkmyers45:

Can you make an example with the 4-way test?

No specific example comes to mind.But each of these principles can stand on its own.

Commitment to truth, commitment to fairness, commitment to ideals and deeds that build goodwill and friendship,and finally, a commitment to ideals and deeds that benefit all concerned in large or small measures.

It might not be possible or pragmatic to achieve all in any given situation, but they are sufficient as guiding principles.
Re: How Does An Atheist Repent? by Callotti: 6:22pm On Aug 24, 2012
Over to the atheists! Repentance is STRICTLY a Christian concept. cheesy
I have absolutely nothing to repent for. cool
Exercising free will does not call for repentance.
If I do wrong, I apologize. If you like forgive/forget. Your gaddem bizz. kiss
I have long moved on from your hurt and pain. So take your weakling of a spiritual sorry-arzz and move da hell on. cool
Repent? Lai lai. kiss
Re: How Does An Atheist Repent? by truthislight: 6:25pm On Aug 24, 2012
D P
Re: How Does An Atheist Repent? by truthislight: 6:25pm On Aug 24, 2012
plaetton:

An atheist is part and parcel of the society and is therefore subject to the laws, customs and traditions of his society.
Therefore, an atheist submits himself to and is answerable to the laws, ethics and morals of his society.

unlike religious people, an atheist takes immediate responsibility for his actions and does not have the luxury of blaming the devil or relying on prayer and forgiveness as a get-out-of-jail card to free him from taking personal responsibility.

So, you, it seems, are the one who does not want to answer to anyone.

if you know what i mean,

some people do what they do cus they imaging that they will not get cought.

Though some get cought some of the time any way and the law takes its turn.

This is different from accepting/knowing that there is a deity that sees all your turns and curves,
In the room, road,sleeping,awake.day/night.

Meaning that plaeton cant hide with de illuminaty for any reason and the deity wont see them

So, not all guys/gal loves this, so the obvious thing to some not all is to deny the existance of such a deity.

I know of some randy men that loves hagging out with some school girls in the company club house and they cant find any thing good with christianity and their deity that judges them bad for cheating on their wives.

If they will ever praise a deity it is allah since he blesses multiple wives.

That is how pervated the human mind can be if it is not train/controlled for the positive/dangers of not flirting/flirting/polygamy.

but once this guys can stop the crolling you see them going to church.

So, atheism is and can be out of convenience for some.
Re: How Does An Atheist Repent? by truthislight: 6:58pm On Aug 24, 2012
jayriginal:

repentance means to regret of doing things that are bad to one self/others/God and to stop doing them deliberately in the future.

Complete turn around from ones former course of conduct.
Re: How Does An Atheist Repent? by jayriginal: 7:02pm On Aug 24, 2012
truthislight:

repent means to regret of doing things that are bad to one self/others/God and to stop doing them deliberately in the future.

Complete turn around from ones former course of conduct.

I know what it means but I associate it with religion and in some cases ritual. Shaved heads, sackcloth, ashes etc come to my mind.
Re: How Does An Atheist Repent? by truthislight: 7:15pm On Aug 24, 2012
mkmyers45:

What about restitution?

restitution does not gurrantees that the person will not repeat it in the future.

Consider an individual that money is no object that goes on a pedophilia.

If and when cought he makes restitution and off he goes.

But when the opportunity presents itself in the future he is more then willing to repeat the same acts cus he has the money to make restitution.

So, you see the vices cant stop it simply goes on.

But repentance is an inward thing that comes from the root of the action the "heart"

once the repentance comes from the mind of the person the hatred for such action is then develop and sustain and is difficult for the INDIVIDUAL to cotinually do such things deliberately all the time cus it will be troubling the persons mind.
Re: How Does An Atheist Repent? by truthislight: 7:42pm On Aug 24, 2012
plaetton:

Yes ofcourse.

1. Is is the truth?

the above is fine and good.

But the fact that humans are limited as to the possible tangents that certain course of actions of theirs and the lack of hindsight can couse prevent it to be an absolute statement.
"Is it fair to all concerned?"

so meaning that without an absolute guide/moral code that takes into cognisant all possible tangent in a couse of action you are still bound to make mistakes that will not be fair to all concern at the long run.

so when that happens how do you make amends?

If after even having a way of making amends you will still find yourself in a vicious circle.

Take for instance Yahweh's laws on sex and blood, it took care of HIV/AIDS and other vd and certain kinds of diseases that human never imagine will show up in the world some 2000 years ago?

So, recognition of certain source of authority may not be irrational.
Re: How Does An Atheist Repent? by truthislight: 7:57pm On Aug 24, 2012
jayriginal:

I know what it means but I associate it with religion and in some cases ritual. Shaved heads, sackcloth, ashes etc come to my mind.

this is with regards to forgiveness when there is an obvious/eminent recompense.

But when it is a deliberate step to that end the extras is unnecessary.
Re: How Does An Atheist Repent? by truthislight: 10:42am On Aug 25, 2012
Callotti: Over to the atheists! Repentance is STRICTLY a Christian concept. cheesy
I have absolutely nothing to repent for. cool
Exercising free will dies not call for repentance.
If I do wrong, I apologize. If you like forgive/forget. Your gaddem bizz. kiss
I have long moved on from your hurt and pain. So take your weakling of a spiritual sorry-arzz and move da hell on. cool
Repent? Lai lai. kiss

is this really the" human nature" or what?

What is the beauty/attraction in this?

I see how you will make the "better world" also.

completely off the decent human society.
Re: How Does An Atheist Repent? by Callotti: 10:57am On Aug 25, 2012
truthislight:

is this really the" human nature" or what?

What is the beauty/attraction in this?

I see how you will make the "better world" also.

completely of the decent human society.

Lemme guess? You must either be a Christian or a Muslim? Once upon a time, I would have 'stooped to conquer'! In either case, engaging YOU would be a gross disservice to either God or Allah. Please, endeavour to emancipate YASELF from mental and SPIRITUAL slavery! Condolences, from the depth of apologies too! kiss
Re: How Does An Atheist Repent? by MacDaddy01: 11:10am On Aug 25, 2012
plaetton:

Being a prisoner of no religious creed, an atheist is more likely to take responsibility for his actions. An atheist, just like everyone else , may never be able to rise above the moral and ethical thresholds of his environment. For example, a corrupt nation will most likely have corrupt christians, moslems and atheists.

Epic comment sir!

You have said it all!
Re: How Does An Atheist Repent? by tobechi20(m): 12:45pm On Aug 25, 2012
I must admit atheist are gvin sensible answers.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Proof That Catholic Popes Are Not Chosen By God: Endorsement Of Gay Sex. / Theists, What Exactly Makes Your God "Holy"? / Where Is Garden Of Eden?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.