Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,396 members, 7,815,859 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:34 PM

There May Be Little Or No Oil In Sokoto - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / There May Be Little Or No Oil In Sokoto (1262 Views)

Why There Should Be Little Sympathy For Olisa Metuh / Bomb Scare At Buhari's Campaign Rally Venue In Sokoto / Photos From PDP Presidential Campaign Rally in Sokoto, As Jonathan Visits Sultan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

There May Be Little Or No Oil In Sokoto by auwal87(m): 5:44am On Aug 25, 2012
Everyone know the current political issue being discussed is the State Police, since most of the Governors in the North are opposing this motion, this is then brought up to deviate the attention of the Southern Governors from creating State Police. grin

Reasons
1. Before oil is discovered, an OPL is first given (Oil Prospecting License), after which the prospect will announce the availability of oil, quantity, density, etc.
2. There would have been news headline for the award of OPL in Sokoto state before the sudden news of "Oil Discovery".
3. Nobody can determine any of the above 2 and even make it official without federal government's permission, that is by obtaining the OPL. Case study is Lake Chad in Borno State (Maiduguri) where OPL was given to NNDC (OPL722 and OPL733). NNDC is the Northern Nigeria Development Company.
4. The Oil Mining License (OML) is the final thing that the company will obtain before extracting the oil for sale.

I will definitely love my region (North) to have oil wealth, but I cannot quickly agree to this and start jubilation without getting the real facts and figures, I am just not that kind. I also hope that when oil is discovered, the separation of the country will be accelerated, since we don't need to negotiate on the coastal areas again.

All I am seeing now is politics at play wink

PS: Personal Opinion

1 Like

Re: There May Be Little Or No Oil In Sokoto by Agiliti(m): 5:55am On Aug 25, 2012
Re: There May Be Little Or No Oil In Sokoto by ULSHERLAN(m): 7:44am On Aug 25, 2012
Yea so many type of oil...
Re: There May Be Little Or No Oil In Sokoto by md4real(m): 8:07am On Aug 25, 2012
Just don't know why people must just hate. God's natural resources are abundant. If you like, when the oil exploration starts, you shouLd hang yourself
Re: There May Be Little Or No Oil In Sokoto by lacasa: 10:54am On Aug 25, 2012
^^ Gbam
Re: There May Be Little Or No Oil In Sokoto by hardywaltz(m): 11:07am On Aug 25, 2012
Northerners are nothing but pest....
Re: There May Be Little Or No Oil In Sokoto by Dainfamous: 11:11am On Aug 25, 2012
their is no oil in sokoto u and me knows that,even if their is oil there,it might not be enough to export..

northern selfish way of thinking you want oil in ijaw man backyard but little news about oil in sokoto they want out from the union that will never happen southerners must take back what northerners have been stealing from us for the past 40 years....
Re: There May Be Little Or No Oil In Sokoto by homerac7: 11:29am On Aug 25, 2012
I also hope that when oil is discovered, the separation of the country will be accelerated, since we don't need to negotiate on the coastal areas again.

wtf does ds nonsense mean? undecided undecided undecided
Re: There May Be Little Or No Oil In Sokoto by excondido(m): 12:24pm On Aug 25, 2012
oil these oil that ....cant we make headway without oil in these country?
Re: There May Be Little Or No Oil In Sokoto by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 1:10pm On Aug 25, 2012
The Discovery of Oil in other regions other than the South is a welcomed development-- nonetheless, the most critical aspect is the institution and infrastructure. Nigeria has demonstrated consistently that it lacks proper institutions with the right people empowered to deliver the right results (it is either political appointees or settlement). Nigeria has also zealously demonstrated her complete lack of infrastructure maintenance and sustainability frameworks, what more evidence than the present odd-ball Petroleum imports which we now engage in, leaving our refineries to cater or less than 20% of local supply. WTF!!
Re: There May Be Little Or No Oil In Sokoto by PapaBrowne(m): 3:21pm On Aug 25, 2012
@Auwal

You are right. Its all politics. But its a politicking that screams "Northern Governors don't understand their southern counterparts". If Sokoto has oil, the south would be the happiest. To think that claiming you have oil would make southerners have a rethink on their commitment to true federalism is absurd.

Southerners are seeking true federalism not because of oil, but because of their desire to unclog the wheels that have prevented progress over the last 50 years.Infact, most southern states don't have oil. Just 4 states benefit considerably from oil incomes and they are Rivers, Bayelsa Delta and Akwa Ibom.
Add that to the new argument they are bringing up on onshore/offshore dichotomy. I'm sure you are not aware that there are only two states in the whole country that benefit considerably for this- Akwa Ibom and Rivers.
So the big question the Northern Governors should ask themselves is this: Why is the whole of the south fighting for true federalism when majority of them don't benefit from oil revenues?? The answer is clear! Southerners are desirious of progress- simple. Its not about oil.

I personally don't think oil has been good for the country. Left to me, oil revenues should be used solely for infrastructure in these 3 area- Power, Tranport(Rail, Road, Sea) and Oil & Gas.
Re: There May Be Little Or No Oil In Sokoto by auwal87(m): 6:38am On Aug 30, 2012
@PapaBrowne

I can tell you that the Southern Governors are doing this just to impose their own political will in their states. State Police means some separate State Laws. An offence in Enugu may not be an offence in Lagos, we will not be so sure until it is implemented and the Governors did not impose or allow some outrageous acts to happen in the states. In the long run, it might led to the separation of the country. grin
Re: There May Be Little Or No Oil In Sokoto by PapaBrowne(m): 9:22am On Aug 30, 2012
auwal87: @PapaBrowne

I can tell you that the Southern Governors are doing this just to impose their own political will in their states. State Police means some separate State Laws. An offence in Enugu may not be an offence in Lagos, we will not be so sure until it is implemented and the Governors did not impose or allow some outrageous acts to happen in the states. In the long run, it might led to the separation of the country. grin

But the Northern Governors used Sharia and that also means the law in Kano is different from the law in Ogun or Taraba state. So if Sharia law is OK, then whats wrong with state police. Kano state already runs the Hisbah. The whole idea of state police is to ensure that security is localized. Why should Abuja supply the budgets that would determine security is states when the challenges arr localized? Simple things like armed robbery and enforcing law and order should be left to the state police while the more complex factors like Boko Haram and Niger Delta militancy should be left to the federal police system.

(1) (Reply)

SUREP, Public Misinformation Or Politicians Deceits? / Federal Government Committee To Investigate $500000 Paid To Kim Kardashian / MASSOB Overthrows Chime, Obi, Okorochas Et Al.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.