Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,415 members, 7,843,233 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 09:17 PM

N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official (14373 Views)

Reversal Of N5,000 Stipend.. Prominent Nigerians React / BREAKING News:Central Bank Governor Reverts Cashless Policy / BREAKING NEWS: Central Bank Governor Reverts Cashless Policy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official by ismokeweed1(f): 1:30pm On Aug 26, 2012
centje: i feel you aren't a female grin

reasons?
Re: N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official by Nobody: 1:30pm On Aug 26, 2012
berem: and what of entering a public bus and you wanna pay the conductor 50naira.you bring out 5,000 naira note.I swear that conductor will give me a dirty slap!
There will still be 50 Naira in circulation. You can always ask your bank to give you lower denominations.
Re: N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official by kodred(m): 1:32pm On Aug 26, 2012
Paul John:

If we watch and let them do as they wish, it'll be too late to correct the action. We better criticize it now and try our best in not making it come through.
Most countries that have strong economy has lesser denomination, and majority of the countries with poor economy have very high denomination, which is the part we're towing right now.
What else do we need see before we know this action will cause catastrophe to our economy?

dr.laykay:

U must have said dis wen N1000 was freshly introduced which later led to inflation.I know u wil say the same tin after this has resulted in inflation nd d government starts planning to introduce N10,000 note.
Y not let's find a way to stop this mess instead of trusting this government that doesn't think abt u.

one tin pple dnt realy know is dat the govt dosnt tink abt d masses. they do wat they want when they want. im sure they have already produced the 5000 naira notes. true it wil cause certain difficulties in the economy bt it also hs its advantages yea. so me no fit shout dey protest wetin don dey system already....if they like sef dey shud mk 10000 naira notes sef na dem sabi......its not the intro of the 5000 naira notes that will cause inflation nd d rest bt our corrupt power holders
Re: N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official by 401kk: 1:34pm On Aug 26, 2012
Billyonaire: CBN spends more than 10 Naira to mint a single 10 Naira note.
CBN spends more than 20 Naira to mint a single 20 Naira note.

So by introducing N5000 there will be massive savings for Nigeria. I am totally in support of introduction of N5000 but against conversion of lower denominations to coins.

Blacksmiths convert our coins to fashion items and sell at exorbitant prices. 1 Naira coin could be smelted into 2,000 Naira ear-ring. This makes coins endangered.

I'm trying to understand the logic behind your statement. OK let me see if I can break it down:

The CBN spends 10 naira to mint a 10 naira note and twenty to minty naira note (I guess they also spend fifty naira to mint a fifty naira note too) notwithstanding that the polymer notes(5, 10, 20 and 50) all come in the same shape and sizes.
So, why would the cost of printing a 10 naira note be 10 naira(or more than), but the cost of printing the same note (in 20 naira) is more expensive?

And how is the CBN saving more money by printing 5000 naira note?
Re: N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official by Clemzy16(m): 1:34pm On Aug 26, 2012
This is a prophecy.. I'm not T.B joshua, but i forsee that the lowest denomination of currency in Nigeria will be N50. Remember this was the same thing that happened to K5 and N1 when the one thousand Naira Note was introduced. Just imagine buying a biscuite formally sold for N10 now N50. And and a Bread formally sold for N50 now about N100 or N120. "poor man don suffer"..
Re: N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official by Nobody: 1:35pm On Aug 26, 2012
CBN spends more than 10 Naira to mint a single 10 Naira note.
CBN spends more than 20 Naira to mint a single 20 Naira note.

So by introducing N5000 there will be massive savings for Nigeria. I am totally in support of introduction of N5000.

Introduction of N5000 will buffer the near-Cashless Policy. The introduction of the near-cashless policy was to enable us reduce the number of notes in circulation and that is the same thing that the introduction of N5000 will do. Instead of 5 pieces of N1000 notes, instead of 10 pieces of 500 Notes etc, you simply carry a piece of note. That is a wonderful policy if viewed pro-economy analytical mindset.

I am however against conversion of any note to coin, it ends with the blacksmiths, and Nigerians hate coins. Its suicide to those denominations.
Re: N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official by Nobody: 1:36pm On Aug 26, 2012
Billyonaire: So you support conversion of the lower notes to coins I guess
No, but you support the 5000 naira note just because the government said it cost more to produce those polymer note, which is a big lie. They are polymers, and it's very cheap, I can say it because I am a polymer chemist. In fact, the coins are more expensive than the polymer notes
Re: N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official by iykc2012(m): 1:36pm On Aug 26, 2012
I remember when i was in Tanzania i changed $100.00 US current and i was given 147,000.00 Tanzania shillings, o boy i rejoiced thinking i could bougth a car. Immediately i went out 2buy Banana of N200 and i waz told 2,000.00 Tanzania shillings i left there 2recharge my phone of 1,500 and i waz told 10,500.00 then i realized it waz bcus of there 10,000.00 Shillings NOTE and 5,000.00 NOTE of Tanzania. Friends the whole 147,000 Shillings given to me waz collected back just like that. Fellow Nigerians pls let's stand and say no to this Policy bcus is going 2 rubbish our Currency.
Re: N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official by Nobody: 1:38pm On Aug 26, 2012
dorothy111:
No, but you support the 5000 naira note just because the government said it cost more to produce those polymer note, which is a big lie. They are polymers, and it's very cheap, I can say it because I am a polymer chemist. In fact, the coins are more expensive than the polymer notes
Stay with me. So are you saying it does not cost more than 50 Naira to mint a 50 Naira Note ?
Re: N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official by Nobody: 1:40pm On Aug 26, 2012
i-smoke-weed:

reasons?
ur choice of words and reasoning. They appear masculine.
Re: N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official by Nobody: 1:41pm On Aug 26, 2012
iykc2012: I remember when i was in Tanzania i changed $100.00 US current and i was given 147,000.00 Tanzania shillings, o boy i rejoiced thinking i could bougth a car. Immediately i went out 2buy Banana of N200 and i waz told 2,000.00 Tanzania shillings i left there 2recharge my phone of 1,500 and i waz told 10,500.00 then i realized it waz bcus of there 10,000.00 Shillings NOTE and 5,000.00 NOTE of Tanzania. Friends the whole 147,000 Shillings given to me waz collected back just like that. Fellow Nigerians pls let's stand and say no to this Policy bcus is going 2 rubbish our Currency.
That was so fvcked up. You probably thought the $100 could buy a car. Thats classic.
Re: N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official by PresGEJ(m): 1:41pm On Aug 26, 2012

Fellow Nigerians,

The introduction of N5,000 should be applauded and supported by every well-meaning and intelligent Nigerian. To my chagrin, I see only a few reasonable and smart people on this thread so far.

This reminds me of my days as a lecturer. Let us start with a definition of term: "Cashless" means LESS CASH - It is pity that people who can sign-on to discussion forums cannot interpret a word as simple as Cashless.

Now, for application of the term: If I wish to pay out N10 Million (to further government work of course), I will need 100 bundles of N1,000.

With this brilliant CASHLESS policy of N5,000 notes, I will need only 20 bundles. 100 versus 20!!! Isn't this progress obvious enough?!!

Nay sayers will say that the 20 bundles will fit into agabadas and caps more easily, but that is beside the point.

My government and I should be applauded for making CASHLESS a reality.

Long Live Nigeria.

Your Presido
Re: N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official by Nobody: 1:44pm On Aug 26, 2012
gboss4sure: Chai. if the pic above is the pic of this 5k then is trash
lol. Daz modified 50naira grin
Re: N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official by Nobody: 1:44pm On Aug 26, 2012
Billyonaire: Stay with me. So are you saying it does not cost more than 50 Naira to mint a 50 Naira Note ?
Do you know the big nylon you bought for 10N, it is also made of polymer. The naira note is made to withstand heat and pressure, so they add calcium carbonate obtain from snail shell. Stop saying what you do not understand
Re: N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official by Clemzy16(m): 1:45pm On Aug 26, 2012
Just imagine a person using a fake N5000 Note to eat a food worth N500 from a Restaurant, the shop owner later give the person a change of N4500 and later the person(shop owner) discoveres that the money was fake. WHAT A GREAT LOSS!!
Re: N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official by 401kk: 1:47pm On Aug 26, 2012
I'm yet to see reasons why Sanusi was made the CBN governor till today.

How many naira notes are we going to have?
5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 200, 500, 1000 and now 5000! That is 9 denominations of the naira!
Re: N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official by Nobody: 1:47pm On Aug 26, 2012
PresGEJ:

Fellow Nigerians,

The introduction of N5,000 should be applauded and supported by every well-meaning and intelligent Nigerian. To my chagrin, I see only a few reasonable and smart people on this thread so far.

This reminds me of my days as a lecturer. Let us start with a definition of term: "Cashless" means LESS CASH - It is pity that people who can sign-on to discussion forums cannot interpret a word as simple as Cashless.

Now, for application of the term: If I wish to pay out N10 Million (to further government work of course), I will need 100 bundles of N1,000.

With this brilliant CASHLESS policy of N5,000 notes, I will need only 20 bundles. 100 versus 20!!! Isn't this progress obvious enough?!!

Nay sayers will say that the 20 bundles will fit into agabadas and caps more easily, but that is beside the point.

My government and I should be applauded for making CASHLESS a reality.

Long Live Nigeria.

Your Presido
what about inflation and rejection of coins?
Re: N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official by sureboykris(m): 1:48pm On Aug 26, 2012
kodred:

one tin pple dnt realy know is dat the govt dosnt tink abt d masses. they do wat they want when they want. im sure they have already produced the 5000 naira notes. true it wil cause certain difficulties in the economy bt it also hs its advantages yea. so me no fit shout dey protest wetin don dey system already....if they like sef dey shud mk 10000 naira notes sef na dem sabi......its not the intro of the 5000 naira notes that will cause inflation nd d rest bt our corrupt power holders
. Its this Ūя̲̅ kind of nonchalant attitude that is killing 9ja today. There is A̶̲̥̅ lot we can do if we come together n protest this new policy
Re: N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official by Nobody: 1:49pm On Aug 26, 2012
dorothy111:
Do you know the big nylon you bought for 10N, it is also made of polymer. The naira note is made to withstand heat and pressure, so they add calcium carbonate obtain from snail shell. Stop saying what you do not understand
They nylon is made of polythene or poly-ethylene and does not in anyway require the use of the catalytic enzymes used in the minting process. Its called polymer note for commoners to understand, it is not 100% polymer, Polymer is just a component in the minting process to enable it stay waterproof. So my humble question again is, Are you saying it does not cost more than 50 Naira to mint a 50 Naira Note ?
Re: N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official by 401kk: 1:59pm On Aug 26, 2012
iykc2012: I remember when i was in Tanzania i changed $100.00 US current and i was given 147,000.00 Tanzania shillings, o boy i rejoiced thinking i could bougth a car. Immediately i went out 2buy Banana of N200 and i waz told 2,000.00 Tanzania shillings i left there 2recharge my phone of 1,500 and i waz told 10,500.00 then i realized it waz bcus of there 10,000.00 Shillings NOTE and 5,000.00 NOTE of Tanzania. Friends the whole 147,000 Shillings given to me waz collected back just like that. Fellow Nigerians pls let's stand and say no to this Policy bcus is going 2 rubbish our Currency.

This will definitely happen if the 5000naira is introduced. The perception of the masses/business and the economy in total will change in no time to reflect the new reality. No wonder you can hardly buy anything for five naira these days.
Re: N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official by onatisi(m): 2:00pm On Aug 26, 2012
401kk:

I'm trying to understand the logic behind your statement. OK let me see if I can break it down:

The CBN spends 10 naira to mint a 10 naira note and twenty to minty naira note (I guess they also spend fifty naira to mint a fifty naira note too) notwithstanding that the polymer notes(5, 10, 20 and 50) all come in the same shape and sizes.
So, why would the cost of printing a 10 naira note be 10 naira(or more than), but the cost of printing the same note (in 20 naira) is more expensive?

And how is the CBN saving more money by printing 5000 naira note?
very good ,which means they are spending 5000 naira to produce a single 5000 naira note,hahahahahahahah up up up goodluck sanusi iwella economics theory.
i think we have the beeeessst fool as a president
Re: N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official by kodred(m): 2:01pm On Aug 26, 2012
sureboykris: . Its this Ūя̲̅ kind of nonchalant attitude that is killing 9ja today. There is A̶̲̥̅ lot we can do if we come together n protest this new policy

and ur chalant attitude has helped improve the country ryt undecided

what the country needs is a change of power. if u like protest frm nw til u die, if its stil d same corrupt poo-faced idiots that are dere, den itz jst a waste. The Nigerian govt always have deir way in the end. lemme refer u back to the subsidy saga, did they not finaly achieve deir aim by makin it N97 even after al d protest and death of sum pple? Let power change hands for good nd the country will boom irrespective of weda there is 5000 naira note, 10000 naira note

1 Like

Re: N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official by abiamahart: 2:02pm On Aug 26, 2012
Naija tire me no be small.
So no picture of the woman without dark glasses eh?

Katafo full this our country no be small

SLS now wants to use Soludo method to cut out his.

God help us all and Bless Nigeria
Re: N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official by 401kk: 2:03pm On Aug 26, 2012
Billyonaire: Are you saying it does not cost more than 50 Naira to mint a 50 Naira Note ?

What is the difference between a ten naira note and fifty naira that would make the fifty naira more expensive to print than the 10 naira?
They come in the same sizes, the same weight, the same materials are used for minting them, or is there something special in the fifty naira note?
Re: N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official by PresGEJ(m): 2:04pm On Aug 26, 2012
centje: what about inflation and rejection of coins?

Thanks for that thoughtful question - At least, you are thinking, unlike most posters here.

According to the renowned Journal of Public Economy (Published by Chicago Journals), the need for larger denominations in a well-functioning economy "arises every 5 or 10 years".

How long ago was the N1,000 introduced? 7 years ago! Can you see the calculated brilliance of my government? We are running the government by the book (or journal)...literally!

The Journal went on to say that big denominations are often (mis)interpreted by the unlearned public as "overissue of currencies, and the mere expectation of inflation may drive the price level up even though the total stock of money is held constant."

Did Sanusi say he is increasing money supply? No.

So, my dear centje, no cause for control - everything is under alarm (I hope I said that right)

Long Live Nigeria.

Your Presido

Re: N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official by Nobody: 2:09pm On Aug 26, 2012
Billyonaire: They nylon is made of polythene or poly-ethylene and does not in anyway require the use of the catalytic enzymes used in the minting process. Its called polymer note for commoners to understand, it is not 100% polymer, Polymer is just a component in the minting process to enable it stay waterproof. So my humble question again is, Are you saying it does not cost more than 50 Naira to mint a 50 Naira Note ?
Thanks for bringing up the polyethylene, but you should know that the nylon is the type of linkage present, and polymer is a general name. Just like polyvylin chloride, PVC, poly styrene, they are all refer to as polymer, because they are form as a result of polymerization. It will cost the same in minting most of the currency, as far as the polymer note is concerned, the main difference will be the colorant (addictive) added.
Re: N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official by PresGEJ(m): 2:10pm On Aug 26, 2012
401kk: I'm yet to see reasons why Sanusi was made the CBN governor till today.

How many naira notes are we going to have?
5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 200, 500, 1000 and now 5000! That is 9 denominations of the naira!

The US has 7 paper notes, Nigeria has 9. What is the big deal?!

Is it a sin to lead the US in at least one area?

Young man, have you passed WAEC yet? You don't sound smart.

Long Live Nigeria.

Your Presido
Re: N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official by Nobody: 2:13pm On Aug 26, 2012
401kk:
What is the difference between a ten naira note and fifty naira that would make the fifty naira more expensive to print than the 10 naira?
They come in the same sizes, the same weight, the same materials are used for minting them, or is there something special in the fifty naira note?
Apart from the inks and the mould there is no much difference, and the cost is not much different. But it saves CBN a lot of money if higher denominations are produced. DOnt get me wrong, I do not support conversion of low denomination to coins, but I say introduction of 5000 note will reduce the quantity of notes in the system because as soon as 5000 Note is introduced, equivalent amount of total notes introduced will be mopped out of the system by removing the lower denominations, and reduction of cash notes in the system is pro-cashless policy.
Re: N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official by onatisi(m): 2:14pm On Aug 26, 2012
PresGEJ:

Long Live Nigeria.

Your Presido
Re: N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official by onatisi(m): 2:15pm On Aug 26, 2012
PresGEJ:

Long Live Nigeria.

Your Presido
please talk with common sense and if you are a comedian go to the joke section and stop disrupting meaninful dialoge here.please this isnt a circus play or nollywood rehersal
Re: N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official by Nobody: 2:17pm On Aug 26, 2012
[quote author=PresGEJ]

[b][color=#006600]

Long Live Nigeria.

Your Presido

I feel otherwise, 1$, 5$, 10$, 20$, 50$, and 100$... Correct me if I am wrong, but it is 6

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

APC Mocks Atiku, Says He’s Suffering From Post-election Depression / Pius Angbo: Women Are Not Rehabilitation For Badly Raised Men — Betty Akeredolu / Why South-South Should Produce Next Senate President – Wike (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.