Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,815 members, 7,844,644 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 03:50 AM

N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official (14377 Views)

Reversal Of N5,000 Stipend.. Prominent Nigerians React / BREAKING News:Central Bank Governor Reverts Cashless Policy / BREAKING NEWS: Central Bank Governor Reverts Cashless Policy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official by Nobody: 2:17pm On Aug 26, 2012
onatisi:
please talk with common sense and if you are a comedian go to the joke section and stop disrupting meaninful dialoge here.please this isnt a circus play or nollywood rehersal
Thank you for noticing that nuisance
Re: N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official by onatisi(m): 2:19pm On Aug 26, 2012
all these theories about cost of printing money is nonsense,are ppl telling me that nigeria cant afford to print her currencies?even the cbn and govt are not complaining and that is none of the reasons which they have given,the govt is having no problems with the cost of money printing so pls lets stick with the topic.the reason given which sounds totally ridiculous is that they need to change currencies every 5years ,does that mean that by 2018 we will be having 10000 naira note?
Re: N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official by 401kk: 2:22pm On Aug 26, 2012
PresGEJ:

The US has 7 paper notes, Nigeria has 9. What is the big deal?!

Is it a sin to lead the US in at least one area?

Young man, have you passed WAEC yet? You don't sound smart.

Long Live Nigeria.

Your Presido

Monkey, so if the world's leading economys currency note has six denominations, then a poor country like Nigeria should have more?
Re: N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official by Kayman3(m): 2:24pm On Aug 26, 2012
They were not worry abt N5,N10,N20,N50 being out of circulation, simply because they dont follow u to spend those currency.. Do u think SLS will stil b buying N50 bread, or hav to take Danfo talkless of requesting for N10 balance. Or NOI will hav to buy N20 maggi for cooking...
So hw do u think their brain will perform optimaly to know that this policy will affect majority.
I hope d clueless NASS will not fall for this, and if they...
The only language they will understand is PROTEST and STRIKE ACTION.
Re: N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official by Nobody: 2:24pm On Aug 26, 2012
Billyonaire: Apart from the inks and the mould there is no much difference, and the cost is not much different. But it saves CBN a lot of money if higher denominations are produced. DOnt get me wrong, I do not support conversion of low denomination to coins, but I say introduction of 5000 note will reduce the quantity of notes in the system because as soon as 5000 Note is introduced, equivalent amount of total notes introduced will be mopped out of the system by removing the lower denominations, and reduction of cash notes in the system is pro-cashless policy.
The fact is, printing currency isn't expensive. The process is cheap, but keeping the printing process a secret is the only expensive part. Don't believe what the government says, they are lying cowshit
Re: N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official by 401kk: 2:25pm On Aug 26, 2012
[quote author=dorothy111][/quote]
Actually, its seven. There are 2 dollars notes but they are rarely printed or used.
Re: N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official by PresGEJ(m): 2:27pm On Aug 26, 2012
onatisi:
please talk with common sense and if you are a comedian go to the joke section and stop disrupting meaninful dialoge here.please this isnt a circus play or nollywood rehersal

Your posts should be in the Recycle Bin Section. NL should create one for a nincompoop like you!
Re: N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official by onatisi(m): 2:28pm On Aug 26, 2012
here in ghana we have 50,20,10,5,1 ghana cedis note.to get the naira equivalent just multiply by 100.on the coins we have 50,20,10,5 peswas pls take note of something here the 50 peswa is equa to 50 naira and 20 is equa to 20 naira,they dont have 100ghc,so why do our own govt want to print higher denomination that will diminish the purchasing power of the ordinary nigerian man
Re: N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official by Nobody: 2:31pm On Aug 26, 2012
onatisi: all these theories about cost of printing money is nonsense,are ppl telling me that nigeria cant afford to print her currencies?even the cbn and govt are not complaining and that is none of the reasons which they have given,the govt is having no problems with the cost of money printing so pls lets stick with the topic.the reason given which sounds totally ridiculous is that they need to change currencies every 5years ,does that mean that by 2018 we will be having 10000 naira note?
The fact that you can afford something does not make it wise to spend hard earned income on avoidable legal tender. If it costs 6 naira for instance to mint 10 Naira note ; and also cost 60 naira to mint 5000 naira note. What will a smart economist do ? I understand that many people can not be successful businessmen, but to expect the rest of us to inherit and execute their faulty business acumen is death of intelligence. This is a fact. Minting 5000 notes will not in anyway cause inflation, because equivalent amount of money introduced into the system in 5000 Notes will be mopped out by destroying the other denominations. But introduction of coin is not welcomed.
Re: N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official by manny4life(m): 2:32pm On Aug 26, 2012
While I have waited for CORE SLS supporters to argue with facts on how this policy s in the interest of Nigerians, I just don't see it. In addition, the article DOES NOT tell nor explain to us how it "STRENGTHENS THE ECONOMY". A lot of folks have stressed about inflation, some have talked about increased pricing, most worry about currency depreciation, all of these with respect to prices of goods and services, traded/exchanged in the economy.

All of these concerns are in line with the common scheme of things, the introduction of a large currency any further does nothing but aid the current price increase in the market. Our currency as it stands, is gradually on the decline, it's depreciating, depreciating any further and claiming it's strengthening the economy is a pure lie.
Re: N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official by onatisi(m): 2:33pm On Aug 26, 2012
ok billyonaire ,i disagree with u on the minting cost point but agree on the coin aspect
Re: N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official by PresGEJ(m): 2:34pm On Aug 26, 2012
dorothy111: I feel otherwise, 1$, 5$, 10$, 20$, 50$, and 100$... Correct me if I am wrong, but it is 6

You're missing the $2 note
Re: N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official by Nobody: 2:36pm On Aug 26, 2012
dorothy111:
The fact is, printing currency isn't expensive. The process is cheap, but keeping the printing process a secret is the only expensive part. Don't believe what the government says, they are lying cowshit
I do not agree with you on that. Actually, minting is expensive, its kept expensive because no Government in the world, will love to use cheap components that criminals can easily lay their hands on, to mint notes. Again, it is not wrong that its almost the cost of making 10 naira note that is used in making 100 Naira note. so in essence, its more profitable for Government to mint more 100 notes than 10 notes, and by extension 5000 notes.
Re: N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official by PresGEJ(m): 2:39pm On Aug 26, 2012
onatisi: here in ghana we have 50,20,10,5,1 ghana cedis note.to get the naira equivalent just multiply by 100.on the coins we have 50,20,10,5 peswas pls take note of something here the 50 peswa is equa to 50 naira and 20 is equa to 20 naira,they dont have 100ghc,so why do our own govt want to print higher denomination that will diminish the purchasing power of the ordinary nigerian man

When did Ghana become an economic standard in Africa?

The fact that you ran from Nigeria to eke out a living in Ghana is your loss. We are making progress in Nigeria without you.

Ghana?! I can't stop laughing.

Re: N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official by Nobody: 2:39pm On Aug 26, 2012
[color=#006600][/color]
Naw for this country oooo! Bringing new not into d economy is not d problem here. Nigerian problem is too much domestic goods importation which we can possibly produce localy. If our local inductry for domestic goods can be improved upon then more economic doom ahead!
Re: N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official by onatisi(m): 2:40pm On Aug 26, 2012
Billyonaire: I do not agree with you on that. Actually, minting is expensive, its kept expensive because no Government in the world, will love to use cheap components that criminals can easily lay their hands on, to mint notes. Again, it is not wrong that its almost the cost of making 10 naira note that is used in making 100 Naira note. so in essence, its more profitable for Government to mint more 100 notes than 10 notes, and by extension 5000 notes.
this arguement doesnt make logical sense i must confess.if the cost of printing it was high why did they go for the more costly one of polymer.i dont believe that the cost is high we all heard about the contract scanda that broke out when soludo went to autralia .the point is the cost is low .lets not argue about it and pls stop believing everything the govt tells u.they are a bunch of liars
Re: N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official by 401kk: 2:43pm On Aug 26, 2012
Billyonaire: Apart from the inks and the mould there is no much difference, and the cost is not much different. But it saves CBN a lot of money if higher denominations are produced. DOnt get me wrong, I do not support conversion of low denomination to coins, but I say introduction of 5000 note will reduce the quantity of notes in the system because as soon as 5000 Note is introduced, equivalent amount of total notes introduced will be mopped out of the system by removing the lower denominations, and reduction of cash notes in the system is pro-cashless policy.

You're just mixing up everything.
1. It costs the same amout of money to print all the polymer naira notes that is N5, 10, 20 and 50
2. To say that it saves the CBN money if the 5000 note is introduced is more ridiculous. Why?
All other lower denominations will continue to be printed because they have a higher demand. There is no demand for this 5000 naira note, if there is any demand, it is very negligable.
So, given that the lower notes will continue to be printed (even at a higher rate) and the 5000 will rarely be used by majority of Nigerians, I don't see how they are saving money.

1 Like

Re: N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official by Nobody: 2:44pm On Aug 26, 2012
Billyonaire: I do not agree with you on that. Actually, minting is expensive, its kept expensive because no Government in the world, will love to use cheap components that criminals can easily lay their hands on, to mint notes. Again, it is not wrong that its almost the cost of making 10 naira note that is used in making 100 Naira note. so in essence, its more profitable for Government to mint more 100 notes than 10 notes, and by extension 5000 notes.
Those currency are produced in bulk, right? Which makes the process cheap, and there is no purity check, because it is not meant for consumption, which makes it even cheaper. Let's assume they are using wood or rubber as a source of raw materials, which is also cheap at least the paper will come from something. The most expensive raw material is diamond, which is absent, gold is also absent. believe it or not, keeping the process a secret is the expensive part.
Take for example, our coin is made from alloy of copper and nickel, cheap metals...
Re: N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official by Dsomething(m): 2:44pm On Aug 26, 2012
But criously....kidnapping will soon boom again
Re: N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official by manny4life(m): 2:45pm On Aug 26, 2012

So Mr Billynaire, under a sample cost benefit model, if you printed a N20 for N6, and the same cost applied to N5,000. Here's a scenario

There N1,000,000 of that amount in circulation, of that amount 20% of that amount is N20 bills, that's N200,000 AND 10,000 bills in circulation, with respect to with current prices and current inflation rate. Assuming you pull out that N20 and introduce N5,000 notes, that's 40bills @ same N200,000. Yes you save 10,000bills (N20) - 40bills (N5,000) which is about 9,960 x N6 is N59,760. You save that amount, but when you look at how that N5,000 will affect the prices of commodity, how the market will adjust their prices due to a larger denominator entering, do you believe, the prices increase ON ALL commodities wouldn't be 20x greater that N59,760?

1 Like

Re: N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official by rash47(m): 2:46pm On Aug 26, 2012
@ mrs i-smoke weed

First time u reason well,kip it up nd restrain ursef from going back to ur habitual ways
Re: N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official by Nobody: 2:50pm On Aug 26, 2012
401kk:

You're just mixing up everything.
1. It costs the same amout of money to print all the polymer naira notes that is N5, 10, 20 and 50
2. To say that it saves the CBN money if the 5000 note is introduced is more ridiculous. Why?
All other lower denominations will continue to be printed because they have a higher demand. There is no demand for this 5000 naira note, if there is any demand, it is very negligable.
So, given that the lower notes will continue to be printed (even at a higher rate) and the 5000 will rarely be used by majority of Nigerians, I don't see how they are saving money.
You have tactfully ignored that the reduction of low denominations from the system once 5000 notes are introduced will reduce cash in circulation and this is pro-cashless policy. You have also tactfully avoided to accept that it will enormous savings to produce more of 5000 notes than lower notes like 50,10,20. What do we chose to gain by losing money to maintain the status quo?
Re: N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official by Nobody: 2:52pm On Aug 26, 2012
manny4life:

So Mr Billynaire, under a sample cost benefit model, if you printed a N20 for N6, and the same cost applied to N5,000. Here's a scenario

There N1,000,000 of that amount in circulation, of that amount 20% of that amount is N20 bills, that's N200,000 AND 10,000 bills in circulation, with respect to with current prices and current inflation rate. Assuming you pull out that N20 and introduce N5,000 notes, that's 40bills @ same N200,000. Yes you save 10,000bills (N20) - 40bills (N5,000) which is about 9,960 x N6 is N59,760. You save that amount, but when you look at how that N5,000 will affect the prices of commodity, how the market will adjust their prices due to a larger denominator entering, do you believe, the prices increase ON ALL commodities wouldn't be 20x greater that N59,760?
Yes, it will not affect the prices of commodity by a kobo, as far as the lower denominations are not converted to coins. But it will save us a lot of money at the long run. Thank you for your analysis.
Re: N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official by Nobody: 2:54pm On Aug 26, 2012
PresGEJ:

Thanks for that thoughtful question - At least, you are thinking, unlike most posters here.

According to the renowned Journal of Public Economy (Published by Chicago Journals), the need for larger denominations in a well-functioning economy "arises every 5 or 10 years".

How long ago was the N1,000 introduced? 7 years ago! Can you see the calculated brilliance of my government? We are running the government by the book (or journal)...literally!

The Journal went on to say that big denominations are often (mis)interpreted by the unlearned public as "overissue of currencies, and the mere expectation of inflation may drive the price level up even though the total stock of money is held constant."

Did Sanusi say he is increasing money supply? No.

So, my dear centje, no cause for control - everything is under alarm (I hope I said that right)

Long Live Nigeria.

Your Presido

1999 6.618

2000 6.938

2001 18.869

2002 12.883

2003 14.033

2004 15.001

2005 17.856

The above figures shows inflation rate at different years. Now, the inflation rate as at 2000 was 6.938% but it rose to 18.869% in 2001, the year 500 naira note was introduced. Same rise in inflation also occured in 2005(frm 15.001% in yr 2004 to 17.856% in yr 2005) when 1000 naira note was introduced.

The current inflation rate as at july 2012 is 12.8%
If this proposed 5000note finally enters our system and worst of it all the said notes are converted to coins,the purchasing power of the majority will reduce. And inflation will definitely go up.
Ppl will abandon the coins,commodities initially sold at 5naira will rise to 50naira,cost of transportation will increase with its multiply effects! So pls CBN.shuld re think,they shuldnt do theoritical experiment with our economy. They shuld focus on the cashless policy wch ppl are begining to accept instead of contradicting themselves!

And u hvnt said anyfin abt the conversion of some notes to coins...
Re: N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official by diesel86: 3:02pm On Aug 26, 2012
The caption should av been more like, " N5000 would strengthen the corruption policy".
Re: N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official by manny4life(m): 3:04pm On Aug 26, 2012
Billyonaire: Yes, it will not affect the prices of commodity by a kobo, as far as the lower denominations are not converted to coins. But it will save us a lot of money at the long run. Thank you for your analysis.

So your argument is that the CBN will NOT decrease certain bills in circulation to add in the N5000, is that your theory? The reason I ask is because, based on my analysis, there's no how introduction of a larger currency will not increase prices. If you have to remove good portion of lower bills and introduce larger bills, it's no brainier that people will adjust their prices to insure themselves against rick. I have the perfect scenario, but I have to know this; will CBN just introduce N5,000 into the economy, from where will they get that slot from? Isn't it from other lower currencies? I need to know this because that's the root of other things.
Re: N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official by 401kk: 3:11pm On Aug 26, 2012
Billyonaire: You have tactfully ignored that the reduction of low denominations from the system once 5000 notes are introduced will reduce cash in circulation and this is pro-cashless policy. You have also tactfully avoided to accept that it will enormous savings to produce more of 5000 notes than lower notes like 50,10,20. What do we chose to gain by losing money to maintain the status quo?

The lower denominations cannot be removed from the system because they are in greater demand. People and businesses use them more on a daily basis. Erasing them from the system will lead to inflation because prices of goods and services will change to reflect and adapt to the new situation.
Re: N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official by flexdee(m): 3:13pm On Aug 26, 2012
This is my question: What will the poor citizens of this country benefit from the proposed N5000 note? This government is not for the poor except for the billionaires produce by corruption vices.

Its high time we quit religious and ethnic/tribal war and come together as a unit to say No to this bad policy that's going to inflict more pains & suffering to our generation.
Re: N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official by Nobody: 3:18pm On Aug 26, 2012
manny4life:

So your argument is that the CBN will NOT decrease certain bills in circulation to add in the N5000, is that your theory? The reason I ask is because, based on my analysis, there's no how introduction of a larger currency will not increase prices. If you have to remove good portion of lower bills and introduce larger bills, it's no brainier that people will adjust their prices to insure themselves against rick. I have the perfect scenario, but I have to know this; will CBN just introduce N5,000 into the economy, from where will they get that slot from? Isn't it from other lower currencies? I need to know this because that's the root of other things.
That is NOT what I wrote. I stated that CBN will pull out equivalent amount of lower notes from the system that is introduced in 5000 notes. So the volume of cash in circulation will remain the same, but the quantity of cash in circulation will drastically reduce - This is Pro-cashless policy. As far as the lower denomination notes are withdrawn from the system and destroyed while 5000 notes are being introduced, there will be no excess liquidity in the system, meaning no inflation.
Re: N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official by Nobody: 3:21pm On Aug 26, 2012
401kk:

The lower denominations cannot be removed from the system because they are in greater demand. People and businesses use them more on a daily basis. Erasing them from the system will lead to inflation because prices of goods and services will change to reflect and adapt to the new situation.

We have more lower denominations of the notes sitting in the vaults that are actually in excess of what is required in the system. The cashless policy was instituted to tackle that. Besides, reducing the quantity of these notes will help strengthen the currency because excess liquidity is actually the cause of inflation. This is from economic and consumer point of view.
Re: N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official by konami001: 3:31pm On Aug 26, 2012
hahahaha... cbn.. This is simply mind buggling.... they are giving out poisons and claiming it will make you live long...
Re: N5,000 Will Strengthen The Cashless Policy – CBN Official by onatisi(m): 3:34pm On Aug 26, 2012
AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED ALL THIS ARGUEMENT CHANGES NOTHING,WE ALL AGREE THAT THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG ABOUT THE POLICY TO BE INTRODUCED.
THE MILLION DOLLAR QUESTION IS ,HOW CAN WE STOP OR INFLUENCE THE GOVT FROM GOING AHEAD WITH THIS POLICY?IS THERE A WAY WE CAN DO THAT?IF THERE IS NONE THEN WE ARE BLOODY WELL WASTING OUR TIME ARGUEING BUT IF THERE IS LETS DISCUSS IT TOGETHER

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

PDP May Move Against Governor Fayose / Senate ‘appeals’ Court Ruling Nullifying Omo-agege’s Suspension / Obaseki Laments Underdevelopment In South-South Despite Being Most Funded Region

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.