Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,994 members, 7,810,770 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:02 PM

President Jonathan: Nigeria Will Not Divide Under My Administration - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Jonathan: Nigeria Will Not Divide Under My Administration (946 Views)

President Jonathan’s Nigeria At 53 Speech - Full Text / Nigeria Will Not Divide – Jonathan / Nigeria Will Not Divide - David Mark (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

President Jonathan: Nigeria Will Not Divide Under My Administration by excondido(m): 9:16am On Aug 26, 2012
Amid the declaration of “independence” by some groups
in the country, President Goodluck Jonathan has said he
remains committed to the unity of the country.
Jonathan spoke through his Special Adviser on Media and
Publicity, Dr. Reuben Abati, on Friday in Abuja.
The president’s comment came against the backdrop of the
declaration of independence by the Movement for the Survival
of Ogoni People and the Bakassi Self-Determination Front, all of
them from the South-South zone.
The Biafran Zionist Movement had issued a similar threat.
Despite these moves, Abati said the president believed strongly
in the indivisibility of the country.
He said, The Federal Government is committed to the unity
of Nigeria. It also believes strongly in the indivisibility of the
country. This is also enshrined in the constitution.
The president has made it clear that he would not preside
over a divided Nigeria.
On the groups declaring “republics,” Abati said the news
had so far remained in the realms of online reports with
nobody coming out publicly to make the declarations.
These things are only seen on the Internet. It is easy for
people to sit in the comfort of their rooms and make
pronouncements.
But the country remains one and the government is
committed to that unity,” he said.
But Abati was not forthcoming on the specific steps the
government would take against the groups that had made these
pronouncements.

source:www.trends.com
Re: President Jonathan: Nigeria Will Not Divide Under My Administration by emmyitodo: 9:29am On Aug 26, 2012
Nigerians are too intertwined to think of breaking up the falsed marriage. am sorry for those agitating for schism for the stakes are too high considering the fact that more southerners invest more in the north than the other way round.
No leader will want to dissolve the country during his reign and that means we are stuck.

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan: Nigeria Will Not Divide Under My Administration by excondido(m): 9:42am On Aug 26, 2012
The call for division will not do much good to any region of the country. but however, there is need to negotiate the terms of our collective existence so that every region can retain its identity and way of life under one phylum.

True federalism is the panacea to our problems.

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan: Nigeria Will Not Divide Under My Administration by pwettytemmy(f): 10:01am On Aug 26, 2012
Of course not all of us is praying for d disintegration. But there seems to be more at stake cos one region fail to recognize d importance of d oda. The north has always bn given their slot n they misused it. Without bn sentimental here, we should always speak d truth n nothing bt d truth. I'm a northerner (north central). I think d north is just bn unreasonable here cos of d power shift. All we need is for d CoC to name their sponsors since he said they re in his govt n very close to him. Let them be subject τ̅☺ justice n let peace reign. Cos I'm sure those useless sponsors self can't pray for disintegration bt all they want is distraction from other important issues dat needed to be attended too. We are loosing presently for standing as one bt stand to loose much more if disintegrated.

1 Like

Re: President Jonathan: Nigeria Will Not Divide Under My Administration by mpumalanga: 10:52am On Aug 26, 2012
I like the president but he is saying what he suppose to say just like ALBASHIR
but the truth is that the bibles say,two can not walk together unless they agree(amos 3V 3).

Nigeria will break so that the law of GOD will not pass away and those talking
of interwoven should tell me if they are still advocating for couples to stick their
heads in abusive relationships.Any body that loves this marriage should walk the talk
by moving with all his/her family members to borno state.People should stop using unity to
devalue human life especially the lives of the poor.
Re: President Jonathan: Nigeria Will Not Divide Under My Administration by ezer(m): 1:27pm On Aug 26, 2012
I'm surprised cos the declaration of independence by MOSOP, Bakkasi, and intending declaration by BZM has enough vigor to start a small whirlwind, yet GEJ is undeterred by their admonitions. In as much as I want disintegration, I understand certain disadvantages that come with it, hence I acquiesced in GEJ's statement. Since he doesnt want disintegration, he should take an excruciating step like clamouring for an SNC or betterstill enforce true federalism (for heck sake why is it called The FEDERAL Republic of Nigeria). The latter is the best option if he doesnt want to fight his own people. Most of us are tired of this marriage, they dont want to disintegrate yet they feel reluctant to change the status quo...na wa o

(1) (Reply)

Arewa Youths Rejects Govt's N5.8bn Post-election Violence Compensation / Delete / Have You Noticed NIGERIA'S Problems Begin With The Letter "P"!?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.