Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,961 members, 7,821,382 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:13 PM

Trouble Over Ojukwu's Estate - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Trouble Over Ojukwu's Estate (14464 Views)

Probe Of Judges: Judges In Trouble Over Bank Accounts / Jonathan, Madueke, CSO Obuah In Trouble Over $6.9million ‘mobile Stage’ Scandal / Mu’azu In Fresh Trouble Over Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Trouble Over Ojukwu's Estate by bakila: 4:26pm On Aug 26, 2012
chucky234: I am sure you were born in the late 80s or early 90s that's why you know nothing about Sir Louis Ojukwu,what Sir Louis left behind for Odumegwu when he passed away in 1966 is worth trillions in 2012 and that's far more than what Odumegwu left behind for his children.
Sir Louis Ojukwu was the
first and founding President of The
Nigerian Stock Exchange as well as
President of The African Continental
Bank. He was also on the board of
directors of some of Nigeria's most
powerful and most prestigious
companies such as Shell Oil Nigeria
Limited. He won a parliamentary seat
during the nation's first republic.
He invested heavily in many industries and was one of the only few billionaires in West Africa before his death in 1966,always say what you know and ask question to know what you don't.

Again, I thought I have someone who knows the story but alas its Hero Worshipping. Its not about what Odumegwu made. Its about what Sir Louis left that his Children are trying to wrestle out of Odumegwu's Widow, since they have not finished that matter with him in his lifetime.
Its all about papa money.
Re: Trouble Over Ojukwu's Estate by kingi777: 4:27pm On Aug 26, 2012
Dim Ojukwu left a will for his children. One of his sons who was interviewed by one of the dailies talked of how his father(Dim) invited him cuz of the will. The problem with some people is that they dont read Nigerian dailies to get informed of the happenings in the country.
Re: Trouble Over Ojukwu's Estate by Balyz: 5:24pm On Aug 26, 2012
onyebaba:
Wat hole did u crawl out 4rm u good 4 notin fellow.. Was Ojukwu in anyway a govt official? Abi u neva hed abt his father Sir Louis Ojukwu? Get ur facts rite b4 writin wat u dnt knw.
But he most definately got government contracts
Re: Trouble Over Ojukwu's Estate by andyanders: 6:03pm On Aug 26, 2012
That's mostly, one of the problems of polygamy.
Re: Trouble Over Ojukwu's Estate by dasparrow: 6:10pm On Aug 26, 2012
kingi777: Dim Ojukwu left a will for his children. One of his sons who was interviewed by one of the dailies talked of how his father(Dim) invited him cuz of the will. The problem with some people is that they dont read Nigerian dailies to get informed of the happenings in the country.

So if a will was left, why the internal squabble within the family? A will has a clearly defined purpose and that purpose is to carry out the wish of the deceased in regards to who inherits what properties and investments. The problem here I think is the African mindset. Most Africans never want to face reality that someday this life is going to be over. Many Africans live as if death does not exist and as such, many Africans with children and spouses will not even bother writing a simple will. Then when death comes knocking like it one day will and the person dies, the surviving family members will begin to fight and quarrel over properties. It's very pathetic indeed because in 2012 I don't expect such from people especially the educated ones.
Re: Trouble Over Ojukwu's Estate by manosteel(m): 6:37pm On Aug 26, 2012
Ojukwu stole money from the goverment? I really do not think that Nairaland is the best place for one to advertise his ignorance, you don't get paid for that. Wouldn't want to border one with Ojukwu's personal achievements. It may interest one to know that, at a time when many of our fathers were busy serving coffee to the white Men and washing Pots for their wives, Ojukwu's father, Sir Luis Ojukwu was already winning and dining with people like Sir Macpherson, the then colonial Governor General. Ikemba was born great.

1 Like

Re: Trouble Over Ojukwu's Estate by evryday: 7:08pm On Aug 26, 2012
waja: Ojukwu inherited more than what he left behind, so it's not a crime to inherits your father's properties. Rather, it's a crime to be a polygamist without a will.

Thanks bro for word of wisdom.Then for the benefit of most nairalanders who seem to be contributing ignoranttly,OTL,does not belong to Ikemba,it belongs to his late father SIR LOUIS OJUKWU who had so many wives and so many children,including Ikemba,though the most prominent among the lot,but not the first son.Provided there's no special arrangement or will by their late father,they are all children of one man, and in finding solution to this,equity and IGBO tradition should prevail.

1 Like

Re: Trouble Over Ojukwu's Estate by klax(m): 7:55pm On Aug 26, 2012
This is just the begining. When Abiola case came up so many shallow thinking human in NL were here fuming like fools but now its turn of Ojukwu let the game begin we are all watching with keen interest.

When it come to "Will" then you will know that some grown up men can be so silly fighting for things that they should have use common sense to resolve, very pitiful indeed.
Re: Trouble Over Ojukwu's Estate by manosteel(m): 8:22pm On Aug 26, 2012
How quickly have we forgotten the death of Ibrahim Abacha, how he was murdered and the rift that existed between him and Mohammed Abacha, the son of Hajia because of family properties. They couldn't even wait for Abacha to die. Only Ignoramus will label it Igbo thing. Even in U.S, Michael Jackson family are killing themselves over Michael's properties, who was not even their father.
Re: Trouble Over Ojukwu's Estate by UnimkeAk(m): 8:59pm On Aug 26, 2012
yeye4live: Dis s wat hapen wen pple hope on dier parents mone,lazy pple why can't dey start n run dier own company dem self n leave d dead man 2rest in peace
If ur papa leave a profit making company for_ please leave it and go and start up your own ok. Stop insulting pple.
Re: Trouble Over Ojukwu's Estate by Ekestar(m): 9:08pm On Aug 26, 2012
franchizy: I'm not suprise about the troubles cos Ojokwu stole this properties from d Federal Govt. I don't expect to see this on d Front page. Wat we sow we must reap
Guy mind ursf before i curse u,hw can u say such a despicable thing,do u knw who Ojukwu waz,the type of family he came from,who his father was,please go and make enquiry before u talk
Re: Trouble Over Ojukwu's Estate by stpat1(m): 9:35pm On Aug 26, 2012
The eldest son should be on ground to put things in order.
Re: Trouble Over Ojukwu's Estate by ogele: 10:17pm On Aug 26, 2012
My conviction that Ojukwu was the greatest businessman of his time is informed by not only what I saw and heard (as I was barely born then) but what is recorded even by the Nigerian Government in our National archives. I know as a fact that the Queen of England visited Nigeria in 1956 and was chauffeured by Louis Odumegwu Ojukwu’s personal driver and guess what car she drove in, his Rolls Royce. Mr. Abiefo was the chauffeur and only passed on a few years ago with the honour of having driven the Queen.

My claim of the humongous stature of Louis Odumegwu Ojukwu as a business mogul of his time is not just based on this feat. It is on record that he was the first president of the Nigerian Stock Exchange, then the Lagos Stock Exchange. The record is there and his photograph today still adorns the Nigerian Stock Exchange gallery in Lagos. Under his Presidency of the Nigerian Stock Exchange, there was no rival claim or litigation on his Presidency as we see today. Stock prices were a true reflection of their value and there was harmony in the stock market.

Nigerian economy in Ojukwu’s era was an emerging economy but even at that, this great Nigerian carved a niche for himself by investing so much in blue chip Companies where he was either Chairman or Director. Amongst such Companies were Guinness, John Holt, Nigercem, Constain amongst others. In fact, due to his relationship with Mr. Constain, he, Mr. Constain became the guardian of Louis Odumegwu Ojukwu’s son, Dim Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu during his days as a student in Oxford University, England.

1 Like

Re: Trouble Over Ojukwu's Estate by Frangoz(m): 11:07pm On Aug 26, 2012
What is all dis, they should allow they the dead man to rest in peace.
Re: Trouble Over Ojukwu's Estate by Eziachi: 11:26pm On Aug 26, 2012
andyanders: That's mostly, one of the problems of polygamy.
Ikemba was never at any point in his life, a husband of two women at the same time (a polygamist) unless you don't understand what that word means.
Re: Trouble Over Ojukwu's Estate by ektbear: 11:41pm On Aug 26, 2012
If a man leads an orderless life, then there should be little surprise that there is chaos after he dies.

1 Like

Re: Trouble Over Ojukwu's Estate by Eziachi: 11:47pm On Aug 26, 2012
One thing about people commenting on issue is that most people and sometimes almost all contributors doesn't read carefully to understand first what they are commenting on. There was no single place in this article or story, where direct fight over Ikemba's estate was mentioned but it was rather some disagreement over who is the rightful manager of one of his estates by some interested parties to the estate.
There is a big difference between the two issue.s
I may disagree with the appointed executor of my fathers estate, against the choice of my brother/brothers or a family member, but that doesn't mean that we are fighting over our fathers estates.

People shouldn't ignorantly comment on an issue they knew very little about or how it works. Moreover, there is no place in this article anyone was quoted as saying that Ikemba has no will and some people kept saying about not keeping a will over and over. Unless I missed that.

Finally, in Igbo tradition and culture, we have what we call inheritance-line will (Ike-oke), where any person born a living person knew from the day he/she was born what he/she inherits from parents, grandparents etc.

When my father was alive, I knew exactly what is my personal portion from his estate through my sex, my position in lineage of birth with my brothers/sisters.

Many Igbo people rely heavily on this tradition and do not write will because of it. Most do thought, because of the modern law, but in reality, any Igbo family that fight over inheritance, knew nothing about our culture or some greed is driving force behind it all.

2 Likes

Re: Trouble Over Ojukwu's Estate by Eziachi: 11:48pm On Aug 26, 2012
ekt_bear: If a man leads an orderless life, then there should be little surprise that there is chaos after he dies.
What is orderless life and what chaos are you referring to?

1 Like

Re: Trouble Over Ojukwu's Estate by Eziachi: 12:01am On Aug 27, 2012
klax: This is just the begining. When Abiola case came up so many shallow thinking human in NL were here fuming like fools but now its turn of Ojukwu let the game begin we are all watching with keen interest.

When it come to "Will" then you will know that some grown up men can be so silly fighting for things that they should have use common sense to resolve, very pitiful indeed.
You have to wait until they start fighting first. I think there are big differences between Ojukwu and Abiola case.
*Abiola died suddenly by accident and Ojukwu died from a protracted illness, so time was on his side.
*Abiola was polygamous family man and Ojukwu isn't.
*Abiola has few offspring outside his marriages, so far we don't know of any Ojukwu's outside wedlock child.
*Based on what read in the press, Abiola directed that DNA be conducted among all that will claim to be his children, nothing like that so far from Ikemba.
*Abiola's will was contested by many of the parties involved. So far we don't know if Ikemba has a will and no mention of a contest to the will from any source till date.

1 Like

Re: Trouble Over Ojukwu's Estate by waja(m): 4:41am On Aug 27, 2012
onyebaba:
Wat was d worth of Sir Louis Ojukwu's estate den n now? Dnt say wat u cant defend.
. I don't blame U because U know only his estate but don't know that he owned the largest transport company in Africa. Ojukwu fought with his life, time and his fathers wealth to defend U and I. His dad was the only political Godfather in Naija and Africa @large. Find out.
Re: Trouble Over Ojukwu's Estate by mymadam(m): 9:43am On Aug 27, 2012
This can happen in any family where there appears to be a gap in communication... or lack of it. However, I know that no problem is 'insurmountable' as long as all concerned parties negotiate in good faith. Let the courts sort it all out for the Ojukwu family ASAP. God bless Nigeria.
Re: Trouble Over Ojukwu's Estate by onyebaba(m): 1:11pm On Aug 27, 2012
chucky234: I am sure you were born in the late 80s or early 90s that's why you know nothing about Sir Louis Ojukwu,what Sir Louis left behind for Odumegwu when he passed away in 1966 is worth trillions in 2012 and that's far more than what Odumegwu left behind for his children.
Sir Louis Ojukwu was the
first and founding President of The
Nigerian Stock Exchange as well as
President of The African Continental
Bank. He was also on the board of
directors of some of Nigeria's most
powerful and most prestigious
companies such as Shell Oil Nigeria
Limited. He won a parliamentary seat
during the nation's first republic.
He invested heavily in many industries and was one of the only few billionaires in West Africa before his death in 1966,always say what you know and ask question to know what you don't.

Rememba dat d Ikemba was nt d onli one dat inherited Sir Louis Estates. Ikemba had oda brodas 2. Wheras if der was eva a dwindle in d fortune his dad left behind, we al knw he solely financed d Biafran war n survived tru d tortous yrs of exile also d den military govt confisticatin som of his assets. Information is free, u mustnt b born in an era 2 knw certain tins. If i may ask u Wats d actual worth of d Ikemba? Nt jst basin ur facts on assumptions.
Re: Trouble Over Ojukwu's Estate by onyebaba(m): 1:16pm On Aug 27, 2012
waja: . I don't blame U because U know only his estate but don't know that he owned the largest transport company in Africa. Ojukwu fought with his life, time and his fathers wealth to defend U and I. His dad was the only political Godfather in Naija and Africa @large. Find out.
And so? Y wud u blame me? Ojukwu lived his lyf for d pple. Go n tink of meaninful ways of impactin on d world instead of comin on here 2 tok rubbish.
Re: Trouble Over Ojukwu's Estate by chukwukezie(m): 2:49pm On Aug 28, 2012
[quote author=cogitoErgo]It was crises galore on Abiola's properties when he died! true, it happens everywhere![u r ryt]

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Army Speaks On Chad, Boko Haram And Media Impact. / The People's Choice: The Story Of President Goodluck Jonathan / APC Insists On Use Of Ebonyi Stadium For Its Rally Despite Government’s Objectio

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.