Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,593 members, 7,809,153 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:39 AM

FG Plans Nationwide Electricity-Demand Survey - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Plans Nationwide Electricity-Demand Survey (4968 Views)

FG Plans N8tn Budget For 2016 / Sheriff's Defection To Pdp: Apc Plans Nationwide Thanks Giving / Modu Sheriff's Defection To Pdp: Apc Plans Nationwide Thanksgiving!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Plans Nationwide Electricity-Demand Survey by Deleahmed: 12:36pm On Aug 27, 2012
A national study will be carried out on the extent of demand for electricity supply in the country, the Minister of Power, Prof. Bart Nnaji, has said.

Nnaji said this in Asaba on Saturday at the end of the third quarter Power Summit, which lasted for two days.

He said that there was no real figure as to how much power was needed in the country, adding that data from the study, which would take the form of a census, would be captured in the 2013 census.

The News Agency of Nigeria reported that the minister also said his ministry would, by the first quarter of 2013, implement fully the automated scaler system.

Nnaji explained that this would be done with a view to identifying problems in any particular area.

http://www.punchng.com/business/business-economy/fg-plans-nationwide-electricity-demand-survey/
Re: FG Plans Nationwide Electricity-Demand Survey by fridayiwere: 3:47pm On Aug 27, 2012
Wetin concern me na
Re: FG Plans Nationwide Electricity-Demand Survey by Silvawazza(m): 3:51pm On Aug 27, 2012
after how many years... crazy leaders...
Re: FG Plans Nationwide Electricity-Demand Survey by obaomoabu: 3:51pm On Aug 27, 2012
that one concern then, they only talk nothing they do
Re: FG Plans Nationwide Electricity-Demand Survey by dedeike: 3:53pm On Aug 27, 2012
The survey is highly needed. A lot of rot in the system. Over the years, so many consumers have connected to the national grid illegally. In many areas, people just build houses and connect to the nearest PHCN pole without proper authorization. Besides, our census figures are politiciased and highly unreliable.So we may not even make proper evaluation of demand So as to know the apprioprate supply.

For a proper reform to berth, all these issues must Be addressed. That is also how to know that the FG is really working.

1 Like

Re: FG Plans Nationwide Electricity-Demand Survey by Truman155(m): 3:55pm On Aug 27, 2012
How dose that change the price of cassava bread mtcheww
Re: FG Plans Nationwide Electricity-Demand Survey by Nobody: 4:08pm On Aug 27, 2012
Truman155: How dose that change the price of cassava bread mtcheww
Na cost of cassava bread make u know sabi spell 'does'?

This man seems to be doing the right thing. I hope, if he's sincere, he's able to overcome the challenges. Will never be a Johnathan supporter, but it seems like good news is coming from the power sector..

1 Like

Re: FG Plans Nationwide Electricity-Demand Survey by Nobody: 4:08pm On Aug 27, 2012
dedeike: The survey is highly needed. A lot of rot in the system. Over the years, so many consumers have connected to the national grid illegally. In many areas, people just build houses and connect to the nearest PHCN pole without proper authorization. Besides, our census figures are politiciased and highly unreliable.So we may not even make proper evaluation of demand So as to know the apprioprate supply.

For a proper reform to berth, all these issues must Be addressed. That is also how to know that the FG is really working.

You have a point here.
Re: FG Plans Nationwide Electricity-Demand Survey by stepo707: 4:08pm On Aug 27, 2012

Dem don land.wey ur garri brother

5 Likes

Re: FG Plans Nationwide Electricity-Demand Survey by scopusng(m): 4:15pm On Aug 27, 2012
Chei,dis man own don too much.
Re: FG Plans Nationwide Electricity-Demand Survey by eyenCalabar(m): 4:20pm On Aug 27, 2012

You can't even spell "does". Idiooooot.
Re: FG Plans Nationwide Electricity-Demand Survey by kutchs: 4:38pm On Aug 27, 2012
It will reduce the price of cassava, now you know what are u going to do? Ori Akpu ndu.
Re: FG Plans Nationwide Electricity-Demand Survey by Fhemmmy: 4:47pm On Aug 27, 2012
Silvawazza: after how many years... crazy leaders...

At least they have ave admitted they failed and now willing to get it right, cos without knowing the needs, they wont be able to supply it . . .
Re: FG Plans Nationwide Electricity-Demand Survey by Kobojunkie: 4:48pm On Aug 27, 2012
How does a Survey help in figuring out the National energy need? For pete's sake one definite fact we have is we are nowhere close to what is needed and if anything, people cannot predict their need in years to come.
Re: FG Plans Nationwide Electricity-Demand Survey by Kobojunkie: 4:49pm On Aug 27, 2012
Fhemmmy:

At least they have ave admitted they failed and now willing to get it right, cos without knowing the needs, they wont be able to supply it . . .

Get it right by surveying Nigerians on exactly what? Isn't the census enough data to go by? And how much is this exercise going to cost us now? Billions again??
Re: FG Plans Nationwide Electricity-Demand Survey by Fhemmmy: 4:51pm On Aug 27, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Get it right by surveying Nigerians on exactly what? Isn't the census enough data to go by? And how much is this exercise going to cost us now? Billions again??

Yes, they might use this medium to lace their wallet with the money and stuff and we left with no more money to get the project of power generation done, but they have admitted now that they have failed for not knowing what is needed . . . I just wanna for once close my eyes and pretend that they will be able to make something happen.
Re: FG Plans Nationwide Electricity-Demand Survey by kutchs: 4:55pm On Aug 27, 2012
Kobojunkie: How does a Survey help in figuring out the National energy need? For pete's sake one definite fact we have is we are nowhere close to what is needed and if anything, people cannot predict their need in years to come.
Yes we are no where close to what we need but exactly how much do we need? Am sure thats what the survey aims to answer.
Re: FG Plans Nationwide Electricity-Demand Survey by Fhemmmy: 4:58pm On Aug 27, 2012
kutchs: Yes we are no where close to what we need but exactly how much do we need? Am sure thats what the survey aims to answer.

I kinda understand where she is coming from though, cos even if a survey is set up, most Nigerians have no idea how much power has to be generated to meet the need of their home not to talk of how to take care of their needs in another 5 years.
But like i said, let us see how it will work out . . .
Re: FG Plans Nationwide Electricity-Demand Survey by Kobojunkie: 4:58pm On Aug 27, 2012
Fhemmmy:

Yes, they might use this medium to lace their wallet with the money and stuff and we left with no more money to get the project of power generation done, but they have admitted now that they have failed for not knowing what is needed . . . I just wanna for once close my eyes and pretend that they will be able to make something happen.

I don't get what a survey will essentially help with at this point given

a) The Nation is still so very far away from what is needed

b) There remains no real way of measuring use given Generator users don't pump generated power first into the Grid before using the volume.

c) The vast majority of Nigerians only use energy that they need given the current situation. Many homes don't have appliances that homes in advanced countries consider a staple, majorly because of the current power situation. How does a survey get around this?

d) Most companies still run their businesses and factories on Generators.

. . . . what the country needs to focus on is generating enough energy for the population it has. There are so many other countries out there who have already solved the energy problem for their population, to obtain necessary data from. When we really get to the point that we realize we do not have enough still or we have too much, that problem can be easily solved.
I particular think that as power becomes more available, the average power use for households will increase by as much as 300%.
Re: FG Plans Nationwide Electricity-Demand Survey by kutchs: 5:16pm On Aug 27, 2012
Fhemmmy:

I kinda understand where she is coming from though, cos even if a survey is set up, most Nigerians have no idea how much power has to be generated to meet the need of their home not to talk of how to take care of their needs in another 5 years.
But like i said, let us see how it will work out . . .
I dont think the question is going to be how much power do you need at home, but what appliances one has at home that need to be powered. I believe that given the fact that everyone wants 24hrs light and the fact that in almost all Nigerian homes all appliances are always on once there‘s power, the researchers will know how much that will cost. I may be wrong anyway.
Re: FG Plans Nationwide Electricity-Demand Survey by Nobody: 5:18pm On Aug 27, 2012
Kobojunkie: How does a Survey help in figuring out the National energy need? For pete's sake one definite fact we have is we are nowhere close to what is needed and if anything, people cannot predict their need in years to come.

I totally agree.
Re: FG Plans Nationwide Electricity-Demand Survey by Nobody: 5:23pm On Aug 27, 2012
Pointless ish...This is not the USA....Ok ow as the last population census helped Nigeria develop. Rather than waste money doin useless survey, we shud build more power plants and streamline our distribution and transmission and improve our power generation and infrastructure. When u're abt to starve to death...The first thing to do is get as much food as u can. U don't go around measuring how hungry u are. In summary...MAKE una give us light...We don't need to knw ow u intend to do it. In Nigeria, survey leads to reports. Reports are debated for a whole tenure in the house of assembly and then nothing is achieved. The next people in power do anoda survey and discard the last one. It's a friggin cycle. We don't want committee or survey r report, simply develop a power plan and fund power infrastructure. SIMPLE.

2 Likes

Re: FG Plans Nationwide Electricity-Demand Survey by Fhemmmy: 5:26pm On Aug 27, 2012
kutchs: I dont think the question is going to be how much power do you need at home, but what appliances one has at home that need to be powered. I believe that given the fact that everyone wants 24hrs light and the fact that in almost all Nigerian homes all appliances are always on once there‘s power, the researchers will know how much that will cost. I may be wrong anyway.

Yes, but knowing Nigeria . . . Not many will respond.
Also at what cost is this to the Nigerians?
I will suggest that instead of that, we know how many household are in each region or area and do the math of what and what we expect useful for the household and add margin of error as well as margin of future development . . .
But in a nation where some homes are not even on the map . . grin
Re: FG Plans Nationwide Electricity-Demand Survey by Nobody: 5:29pm On Aug 27, 2012
If all the survey is about is attaching a number to the energy needs of Nigeria, this survey is a waste of resources. If the last census data is not enough information to work with, they can run an early census incorporating questions about power consumption rather than carrying out a survey when 2013 census is in view. Or is there something else we're not being told?
Re: FG Plans Nationwide Electricity-Demand Survey by Sike(m): 6:03pm On Aug 27, 2012
Abegi! All na Wash jor.
Re: FG Plans Nationwide Electricity-Demand Survey by excondido(m): 6:39pm On Aug 27, 2012
Power survey to what end? i suppose when we have the capacity to generate enough only then we can be thinking of collecting datas for projected growth and the corresponding demand for energy that comes with such growth.
How does the survey going to capture rural communities that are not connected to the national grid at the time of the survey?
Misplaced priority.....putting the horse before the cart.
Re: FG Plans Nationwide Electricity-Demand Survey by EmmaUG: 7:43pm On Aug 27, 2012
so u can't buy just cassava,sorry for ur poverty mtcheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwww
Re: FG Plans Nationwide Electricity-Demand Survey by Truman155(m): 7:58pm On Aug 27, 2012
musKeeto:
Na cost of cassava bread make u know sabi spell 'does'?

This man seems to be doing the right thing. I hope, if he's sincere, he's able to overcome the challenges. Will never be a Johnathan supporter, but it seems like good news is coming from the power sector..
u go school.......
Re: FG Plans Nationwide Electricity-Demand Survey by Truman155(m): 8:05pm On Aug 27, 2012
How did this end up on the front page¿¿ U are hailing the dude for doing what he is suppose to do......he is just good for nothing
Re: FG Plans Nationwide Electricity-Demand Survey by Truman155(m): 8:19pm On Aug 27, 2012
Even in the last census i was not counted... Some mumu here go the tel me say i no sabi spell does.. dont be supprise if you are not counted in the nex cencus even if they know the power demand in nigeria it wont change anytin...so you people should continue to debate about the power demand in 9ja while south africa continue to add to their national power grid...i cant wait to leave this shit hole, dump{nigeria} to angola
Re: FG Plans Nationwide Electricity-Demand Survey by Nobody: 10:13pm On Aug 27, 2012
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
angola?what are you waiting for?i'll advice you consider south sudan too.

1 Like

Re: FG Plans Nationwide Electricity-Demand Survey by Truman155(m): 10:42am On Aug 28, 2012
Temistatics 007: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
angola?what are you waiting for?i'll advice you consider south sudan too.
at least south sudan have a reason to be under developed what reason dose 9ija have i am sure u have not left 9ija all ya life......no wanda

(1) (2) (Reply)

Obasanjo Warns Nigerians Against Allowing Buhari To Be Rigged Out! / Official From German Government Address Biafrans In Germany / Abuja Is The Dirtiest City In Africa While Kigali Is The Cleanest (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.