Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,230 members, 7,818,776 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:36 AM

Did Jesus Descend Into Hell? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Did Jesus Descend Into Hell? (2397 Views)

He Descended Into Hell.! / Scientist Who Dug Into Hell In Siberia And Recorded The Cries Of The Damned Soul / Did Jesus Really Descend To Hell After Death According To The Apostles Creed? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did Jesus Descend Into Hell? by mencer(m): 6:45pm On Aug 29, 2012
what if he did or did not.
Matthew 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

1 Timothy 1:4 Neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which minister questions, rather than godly edifying which is in faith: so do.
Re: Did Jesus Descend Into Hell? by free123: 8:48pm On Aug 29, 2012
i am yet to understand why someone will bring up issues that result in endless arguments and insults. is it becos he has run short of messages that will turn people to God or he just wants to turn peoples hearts away from God?

there are issues that are supposed to leave the way they are, knowing that they can not add to ur salvation instead they will bring sins upon u for unknowingly or knowing insulting someone and even rubbishing ur own salvation.

pls use ur time wisely
Re: Did Jesus Descend Into Hell? by ijawkid(m): 8:51pm On Aug 29, 2012
belabela: Frosbel,

I like your thinking but let me share with you what I found out in the bible and contrast it with what is popular today in Christendom.

Heaven is the place where God lives. It is above the sky. The old English bibles use this word interchangeable to mean the sky or the outer space or the dwelling place of God.

When people die they do not go to heaven as popularly thought in many Christian assemblies today rather they go to the underworld (or the place of the dead). Jesus himself explained that this place is divided largely into two parts. Hell and paradise. Paradise is a place of rest, comfort and peace while hell is a place of torment. You will notice that when the thief was about to die Jesus did not promise to take him to heaven rather he promised that he would meet him in paradise.

In the bible Enoch and Elijah were taken up to heaven and theologians argue Moses too must have been taken up. Whatever the case those who had gone to heaven had gone with their bodies and not just spirit. Jesus himself had to be raised to go back to heaven.

Did Jesus go to hell? The bible never said that and I would say NO. Did he go to paradise? YES he did. Everyone would either go to paradise or hell when they die. That is a fact consistent in scriptures.

Heaven (the abode of God)would remain but the bible says at the end of time God would descend to the earth and live amongst men. This may not be popular but it's exactly what the bible says

DiÐ Jesus go to hell??

YES he did.....

Acts 2:27 $30, 31...

King James Version (KJV)
27 Because thou wilt not leave my soul in HELL,
neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see
corruption.

30 Therefore being a prophet, and knowing
that God had sworn with an oath to him, that
of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh,
he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne;
31 He seeing this before spake of the
resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not
left in HELL, neither his flesh did see
corruption.

Jesus indÉed spent 3 good days in HELL...but was not forsaken by HIS FATHER....

Thank u
Re: Did Jesus Descend Into Hell? by Nobody: 9:30pm On Aug 29, 2012
free123: i am yet to understand why someone will bring up issues that result in endless arguments and insults. is it becos he has run short of messages that will turn people to God or he just wants to turn peoples hearts away from God?

there are issues that are supposed to leave the way they are, knowing that they can not add to ur salvation instead they will bring sins upon u for unknowingly or knowing insulting someone and even rubbishing ur own salvation.

pls use ur time wisely

Try and find out why this topic was raised , this is a continuation of the article on eternal torment.

It matters for the following reasons :

1.To counter the teaching that Christ was tormented in Hell by Satan as preached by many false prophets
2.To debunk the lie that people go to Hell immediately after death.
3.To clarify the doctrine of hell

Mind you, we all agree this is not a matter for salvation , however eternal torment maligns the character of God and must be refuted by all means.

For those who like insults as is typical on Nairaland , they need to repent.
Re: Did Jesus Descend Into Hell? by Nobody: 9:32pm On Aug 29, 2012
ijawkid:

DiÐ Jesus go to hell??

YES he did.....

Acts 2:27 $30, 31...

King James Version (KJV)
27 Because thou wilt not leave my soul in HELL,
neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see
corruption.

30 Therefore being a prophet, and knowing
that God had sworn with an oath to him, that
of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh,
he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne;
31 He seeing this before spake of the
resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not
left in HELL, neither his flesh did see
corruption.

Jesus indÉed spent 3 good days in HELL...but was not forsaken by HIS FATHER....

Thank u

This is were we part ways. Jesus Christ went to Hades or the grave , not Hell.
Re: Did Jesus Descend Into Hell? by truthislight: 9:57pm On Aug 29, 2012
frosbel:

consistency consistency consistent.

Have you done your home work and note the words that were translated INTO hell?

Till that is done how do we know what the translations have done.

Why not try that first?

We might learn something!
Re: Did Jesus Descend Into Hell? by Nobody: 10:17pm On Aug 29, 2012
SHEOL (HADES). Another new word makes its first appearance after Rebekah’s death. It is found in Genesis 37:35. It is to occur three more times in Genesis. (Genesis 42:38; 44:29, 31) This verse reads in the King James Version: ‘I will go down into the grave unto my son mourning.’ The word “grave” here is the Hebrew הלאש or Sheol. In the Jewish Greek Septuagint it is αδης, or Hades from which is derived the word “hell.” Jerome’s Fourth Century Latin Vulgate uses in·fer'num. Nothing better illustrates the need for a consistent translation which faithfully renders the same original word with a similar English word.

The above would indicate this word Sheol or Hades means “grave.”

Sheol occurs 65 times in the Hebrew Scriptures. The Greek Hades occurs 100 times in the Jewish Greek Septuagint. The King James Version used three words to render Sheol, two (hell, grave) equally (each 31 times) and “pit” three times. This alone would seem to indicate “hell” means the “grave.”

A Compendious Hebrew Lexicon, Samuel Pike: "the common receptacle or region of the dead; so called from the insatiability of the grave, which is as it were always asking or craving more." (Cambridge, 1811, p. 148)

Collier's Encyclopedia (1986, Vol. 12, p. 28): "Since Sheol in Old Testament times referred simply to the abode of the dead and suggested no moral distinctions, the word 'hell,' as understood today, is not a happy translation."

Encyclopaedia Britannica (1971, Vol. 11, p. 276): "Sheol was located somewhere 'under' the earth… The state of the dead was one of neither pain nor pleasure.

Neither reward for the righteous nor punishment for the wicked was associated with Sheol. The good and the bad alike, tyrants and saints, kings and orphans, Israelites and gentiles-all slept together without awareness of one another."

Brynmor F. Price and Eugene A. Nida noted: "The word occurs often in the Psalms and in the book of Job to refer to the place to which all dead people go. It is represented as a dark place, in which there is no activity worthy of the name. There are no moral distinctions there, so 'hell' (KJV) is not a suitable translation, since that suggests a contrast with 'heaven' as the dwelling-place of the righteous after death. In a sense, 'the grave' in a generic sense is a near equivalent, except that Sheol is more a mass grave in which all the dead dwell together… The use of this particular imagery may have been considered suitable here [in Jonah 2:2] in view of Jonah's imprisonment in the interior of the fish." [A Translators Handbook on the Book of Jonah, 1978, p. 37.]

The Dictionary of New Testament Theology, “At the resurrection Hades must give up its dead again (Revelation 20:13). So it is not an eternal but only a temporary place or state. According to Acts 2:27, 31 and Luke 16:23, 26, all the dead are in Hades.” (Vol 2, page 207)

When Peter gives his Pentecostal speech, Luke has him using Hades in Acts 2:25-27 quoting one occurrence of Sheol from Psalm 16:10 regarding the Messiah. Thus, the two words mean the same. (Compare “hell” in the KJV of Acts 2:25-27) According to Peter Jesus Christ went to “hell” or Hades (Sheol) until his resurrection the Third Day.

There are two particular occurrences of Sheol (Hades) in the Hebrew Scriptures that give us the most information about the place of the dead. The first is thought by some to be from the pen of Moses though the events may have occurred around 1,600 BC. It is J[b]ob 14:12-15.[/b] We will quote it twice: the first from the Jewish Tanakh version: ‘So man lies down never to rise; he will awake only when the heavens are no more, only to be aroused from his sleep. O that you [Yahweh] would hide me in Sheol (הלאש), conceal me until Your anger passes, set me a fixed time to attend to me.

If a man dies, can he live again? All the time of my service I wait until my replacement comes. You would call and I would answer You.’ Secondly, from the Septuagint (Bagster), ‘And man that has lain down in death shall certainly not rise again till the heaven be dissolved, and they shall not awake from their sleep. For oh that thou hadst kept me in the grave (αδη – KJV: “hell”) and hadst hidden me until thy wrath should cease, and thou shouldest set me a time in which thou wouldest remember me! For if a man should die, shall he live again, having accomplished the days of his life? I will wait till I exist again.’

These words above help determine what Sheol or Hades is. It is a place of hiding, of concealment, of sleep, of non-existence. From this “hell” is not a place of torment for the godly man Job would not have asked his Maker to “hide” him there. Job infers he expects to “rise” at God’s “call.” (Compare John 5:28) In Greek the phrase “not rise again” is a negative which employs anaste which must be the root for anastasis, “resurrection.” Bagster’s rendering of the Greek phrase palin genomai as “exist again” is very similar to that of the Nazarene sixteen centuries later: ‘In the re-creation (palin-genesia) when the Son of Man sits down upon his glorious throne…’ (Matthew 19:28)

http://www.nazarene-friends.org/pubs/thedead/004.php
Re: Did Jesus Descend Into Hell? by truthislight: 11:48pm On Aug 29, 2012
From the above,

what do you think?

That dictionary definition may not really be helping matters.

Who knows if that dic definition of hell was influence!
Re: Did Jesus Descend Into Hell? by ijawkid(m): 12:01am On Aug 30, 2012
frosbel:

I was just trying to let that guy know that the word that shuld have been used is ""HADES"" or ""SHEOL"" the common grave of mankind....

I was also trying to help the guy understand that HELL isn't a place of torment,but ""GRAVE""....

Hope u understand where I'm heading to...:-)....

I wanted to surprise d guy with the fact that if Jesus did go to HELL,then it definitly isn't a place of torment........:-)......

Translation and rendering problem.....
Re: Did Jesus Descend Into Hell? by Nobody: 12:02am On Aug 30, 2012
ijawkid:

I was just trying to let that guy know what the word that shuld have been used is ""HADES"" or ""SHEOL"" the common grave of mankind....

I was just also trying to help the guy understand that HELL isn't a place of torment,but ""GRAVE""....

Hope u understand where I'm heading to...:-)....

I wanted to surprise d guy with the fact that if Jesus did go to HELL,then it definitly isn't a place of torment........:-)......

No probs, we are all here to learn.

Good night smiley

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pleading The Blood Of Jesus Christ / 18+: Meet People That Worship The Joystick In Pictures (END TIME) / Some Of The Miracles Of The Holy Prophet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.