Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,458 members, 7,954,798 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 09:38 AM

Living With Extended Family - Advice Badly Needed! - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Living With Extended Family - Advice Badly Needed! (13278 Views)

Nuclear Vs Extended Family / Your Wife Or Your Extended Family / Extended Family Or Nuclear Family, Which Do You Prefer? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living With Extended Family - Advice Badly Needed! by Nobody: 11:47am On Sep 01, 2012
^^what can i say, turn the liability to asset. Can't have two liability at home battling for space. Hubby and wiffy should employ mama since she didn't come for holiday.
Re: Living With Extended Family - Advice Badly Needed! by MrsChima(f): 12:07pm On Sep 01, 2012
Opinions and theories.
Re: Living With Extended Family - Advice Badly Needed! by paris10: 12:10pm On Sep 01, 2012
Kobojunkie: You can effectively manage it by working on putting up with it for as long as it has to be. You agreed to it, so unfortunately there is not much else you can do.

I have to disagree with you on this one. Ofcourse @poster wouldn't object to her husband inviting his family over for visitation purposes only. But wanting to turn her matrimonial home into a guest house is totally preposterous and bang out of order.

A two bed flat is actually not enough to fit in 6 family members. This is not Lagos! The husband should be ashamed of himself for yielding unto his own selfishness and not his wife. Mother-in-laws are a pain in the a.s.s and wouldn't pray my enemies welcome them.
Re: Living With Extended Family - Advice Badly Needed! by MrCGPA(m): 12:48pm On Sep 01, 2012
You have tried but I hate the way you are talking about ur mother's inlaw as you know has she suffered b4 training her. We need to take care of our mother no matter what. You cant buy mother from market.

2 Likes

Re: Living With Extended Family - Advice Badly Needed! by giddygtbank(m): 12:51pm On Sep 01, 2012
I honestly do feel ur pain. Addressing this kind of issue is usually not very easy. I second 2mch and dislike siena's position. Appreciate that it's not easy on ur hubby too. U have ur interest- living with ur nuclear family ALONE. Ur hubby also have his "FAMILY" responsibility(ies)- to his brothers, sisters and mum and now mostly with his attachment to his mum. Please, for the love of ur family, ur daughter, ur hubby, be patient. Yes 2yrs is not 2weeks but it's not eternity either. Express ur concerns to ur hubby tactfully, work at letting d duo of the brother and sis get job and leaving the house. It will work. One more, please be PATIENT and lastly pray to God.

1 Like

Re: Living With Extended Family - Advice Badly Needed! by chioma134: 1:43pm On Sep 01, 2012
I agree with Dr. Young. OP,find a job and use ur mother in-law as a nanny. U can even pay her a salary. That way everybody wins.

1 Like

Re: Living With Extended Family - Advice Badly Needed! by Kobojunkie: 2:09pm On Sep 01, 2012
paris10:

I have to disagree with you on this one. Ofcourse @poster wouldn't object to her husband inviting his family over for visitation purposes only. But wanting to turn her matrimonial home into a guest house is totally preposterous and bang out of order.

A two bed flat is actually not enough to fit in 6 family members. This is not Lagos! The husband should be ashamed of himself for yielding unto his own selfishness and not his wife. Mother-in-laws are a pain in the a.s.s and wouldn't pray my enemies welcome them.

um . . . if you read, she says that she agreed to having them over for more than your occasional visit. She somehow believed this was the Nigerian way of doing things, and so it would be ok. Only now she realizes what it really means.

Employing her husband's mother is not a really the best idea. If that woman turns out to be one of them bad sort of grandmothers who teaches her grandkids nonsense values claiming they are 'good' values, then the @OP will have another problem on her hands . . a mother-in-law who won't leave and a grandmother she has to try to keep her kids away from.
Rather then risk creating another problem, focus on tackling the one first, and if eventually you need a nanny, you can always then employ her ON YOUR TERMS.

1 Like

Re: Living With Extended Family - Advice Badly Needed! by Angelmart(f): 2:29pm On Sep 01, 2012
@ POST: This is a critical issues, and wisdom alone is what you needed to apply and also I believe in this advice: depending on how old and healthy your mother-in-law is, this might even be to your advantage. Find a job and employ her to take care of the home and the children. If she is a good person i don't think she will object to the arrangement since the cost of nanny's and househelp is on the high side over there.

May God help you to handle it with care.
Re: Living With Extended Family - Advice Badly Needed! by erico2k2(m): 2:51pm On Sep 01, 2012
@OP
Im sure that you can talk about this issue with your husband,he will understand that you want your house back,like someone rightfully told you on here, cos you aint Nigerian the Mum in-law has no choice but to regard you space and leave it to you and you new family,by the way, if the mum in law had something doing back home, they wont pack up and come to live in an environment where employment is almost zero for them, to me that is taking the biscuit and your husband must see sense or reasons with you.
Re: Living With Extended Family - Advice Badly Needed! by mikolo80: 3:06pm On Sep 01, 2012
BETTER START HAVING REALLY REALLY REALLY LOUD DEBAUCHED SEX AND SEE IF THEY DONT TAKE A HINT.
Re: Living With Extended Family - Advice Badly Needed! by UncleJJ(m): 4:18pm On Sep 01, 2012
Olodo"s... First of all dont take advice from nigerian girls about nigerian men. If it were a nigerian mama ur asking fr advice you might get better answers since they"d have more xperience in family politics.

Your husband is the first child and as such must act as one no matter how uncomfortable. He is a leader and a man .

Have you cared to ask yourself the advantages of having his mum around. Making friends with her will give an upperhand in the marraige.

You could learn how to cook ur husbands favorite meals and maybe even his traditional language if you pay attn.

You say they work 12 hrs a day, do you sit home all day doing nothing ... Yet u complain.

He told you about his responsibilities b4 marraige and u agreed - seems to me ur d one backing out of the agreement.

Yes, his bro is a man too but what kind of apartment does he live in? Would you let your mother stay there.

The truthvis that ur feeling resentment - u think ur husband cares for his Nigerian family far more than his britico wife and half cast baby. Ur wrong, u shud instead see this as a confirmation of ur husbands sense of respinsibility and dedication to home and family.

Could you really trust a man that sends away his mother, ur child gramdmother cos u spend more time at home with her and she speaks of things she wants to buy b4 she goes back.

Listen lady, in nigeria when an ibo man marries a hausa man she must respect her husbands culture and learn as much as she can in the shortest possible time. This will guarantee her position in the home.

Learn from your in law, grow wiser and inturn you will be able to play a much evolved version of family politics.

2 Likes

Re: Living With Extended Family - Advice Badly Needed! by sarutobie(m): 4:23pm On Sep 01, 2012
^^ straight up talk!..the truth is what it is!..

1 Like

Re: Living With Extended Family - Advice Badly Needed! by juman(m): 4:32pm On Sep 01, 2012
Hmmm, @OP as you explained I think you are taking this small issue too far. Be patient till december when your mother in-law will leave and explain to your husband about his sister to move out.
Re: Living With Extended Family - Advice Badly Needed! by Dede1(m): 4:50pm On Sep 01, 2012
Mrs.Oyibo:
Maybe the issue is not Nigerian women but Nigerian men. I feel reluctant to discuss this issue in great detail with my husband because I am also afraid that if I Put my foot down that the marriage would fail. My husband adores his Mum and thinks that she can do no wrong. He tells me that he's Always happy for my parents to come and visit us. And that I should be equally welcomig to his Mum. However, he fails to remember that my parents visit for a maximum of two weeks and that hey are financially independent.

I just feel like his younger brother is taking the p**s by not accommodating this woman. And I feel that my husband is more concerned about saving face with his Mum than he is with ensuring that our nuclear family is happy. But as u said initially, if I do say anything then it's bound to affect my marriage. The trouble is that I am not very good at holding my tongue and I fear that one day soon I will explode and that my mother-in-law will get the brunt of it

Did I mention that my husband and his siblings all work 12 hours a day and that I am the one who is at home with my mother in law all day long..............

If you do not have job as you have indicated on staying at home all day long with your mother in-law, I urge you to get a job. By the way, did you contribute anything toward raising your husband? Does it occur to you that your husband can snag another wife but mother? If you do not like extended family setup of Africans, why did you agree to marry your husband? If you want to explode, you are free to explode into pieces for a change.
Re: Living With Extended Family - Advice Badly Needed! by blackbeau1(f): 5:49pm On Sep 01, 2012
to be sincere,if you put down your foot like some nairalanders are asking you to,you'll either create a problem between you and your husband or you'll create a problem between you and your in-laws and sometimes,you do need them to get their son in line if he begins to misbehave.i know how it feels to live with an illiterate relative.my aunt has been living with us for 14 years now.i know how annoying it is.there are two things you can do.either you remain patient or you play the part of this very loving wife who just wants to see the best for her mother-in-law.suggest opening a supermarket or something back home for her and even agree to foot part of the bill.yes,you'll have to part with your hard-earned money but,it will help you get rid of her.do it in a way that your husband feels its his idea.also,it might helpp to get a job.odds are that your being a full-time housewife is not helpping matters.if you have to leave the house in the morning and come back in the evening,i'm sure you wont really notice her prescence.you will be too occupied to do so.

1 Like

Re: Living With Extended Family - Advice Badly Needed! by blackbeau1(f): 5:57pm On Sep 01, 2012
Pls,I'm taking time to repeat the point I made earlier on.even if you are making millions,pls do not try putting your foot down except you do not value your marriage.it will be viewed as disrepect.besides,you do not know if the mother did not want him to marry you but he stood his ground.at the end of the day,you'll just end up proving her point.this is no nollywood ir hollywood movie.he will not walk away from his parents to be with you.he will walk away from you.don't kill your marriage over nothing.

1 Like

Re: Living With Extended Family - Advice Badly Needed! by Olutala(m): 6:05pm On Sep 01, 2012
3'Ps
Patience, Prayer, and perseverance my sister. All will be well
Re: Living With Extended Family - Advice Badly Needed! by Kobojunkie: 6:10pm On Sep 01, 2012
Olutala: 3'Ps
Patience, Prayer, and perseverance my sister. All will be well

These 3 P's are used as reason by most every woman in Africa to stick to the rot they find themselves in. The women out there, and raised there are some of the most religious yet also some of most belittled on the planet. Does that not give you a hint as to what the problem is. If you have a situation, sure pray but do something about it.

3 Likes

Re: Living With Extended Family - Advice Badly Needed! by MrsOyibo(f): 6:34pm On Sep 01, 2012
Thanks for all the replies/advice!

Just to clarify a few things - I do work already, but only part time. I am currently looking for a full time job. When I leave my daughter with her grandmother she is not looked after properly. My mother in law thinks that chocolate for breakfast, dinner and supper is acceptable. She also thinks that allowing my daughter to wear her pyjamas all day is a good idea! Have spoken to my husband about this particular matter, so perhaps things will improve on that front.

For now, I'm going to tough things out with my mother in law. Hopefully her visa will be granted in the next few months and we can put this whole sorry mess behind us. No point in causing a war and, potentially, doing irreparable damage to my marriage.

However, plenty of lessons have been learnt by me! Holidays of 1 month max for the mother in law from now on! Also, want to mention that my relationship with my mother in law is not bad, it is the situation that's bad. And ultimately, in trying my best to please my husband, I allowed this to happen.

Just hope that I can contain my frustrations for the next few months smiley
Re: Living With Extended Family - Advice Badly Needed! by Nobody: 6:45pm On Sep 01, 2012
Re: Living With Extended Family - Advice Badly Needed! by kuntama: 7:01pm On Sep 01, 2012
I'm confused. Why should we glorify our mothers for "suffering for us?"
For goodness sake what are they supposed to do - have the child and do nothing for it?
We are a useless society where doing the right thing is so abnormal, that when it happens ( eg a mother actually looking after its child) we fall into hero worship mode.
Hiss. Society of failures and mediocrity. Hiss again.

4 Likes

Re: Living With Extended Family - Advice Badly Needed! by Kobojunkie: 7:11pm On Sep 01, 2012
kuntama: I'm confused. Why should we glorify our mothers for "suffering for us?"
For goodness sake what are they supposed to do - have the child and do nothing for it?
We are a useless society where doing the right thing is so abnormal, that when it happens ( eg a mother actually looking after its child) we fall into hero worship mode.
grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Living With Extended Family - Advice Badly Needed! by dasparrow: 7:45pm On Sep 01, 2012
kuntama: I'm confused. Why should we glorify our mothers for "suffering for us?"

Na so now. That is Nigerian mentality for you. When I kept reading the posts of some forumites saying that the mother suffered for the son, I am thinking "so what? except a woman was pregnated during a r[b]a[/b]pe, becoming a mother is a personal choice." I am tired of hearing "our mothers suffered for us, blah, blah, blah." Did anyone think parenting is an easy task? Did anyone force some women and men to manufacture several children that they know they cannot comfortably take care of financially? If God had not given them the child/ren, the same Nigerian women will be in church day and night, 7 days a week praying and fasting for 'fruit of the womb.'

As far as I am concerned, most Nigerian parents did not do anyone a favour bringing children into this wicked world. After all, what future does Nigeria hold for all these youngsters that are brought into the world each day by their Nigerian parents? By the time they are 8 years old, they are sent to hawk goods on their heads or become a housemaid/houseboy in a rich extended family member's house. Most Nigerian parents selfishly bring children into this world to suffer. They know they don't have sufficient funds to provide their children's basic needs yet they phock away and multiply like gremlins. Many years down the line, their poverty stricken selves become a nuisance to their daughter and/or son inlaws and then they try to justify their actions by claiming it is the culture. Culture my foot!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living With Extended Family - Advice Badly Needed! by queensmith: 8:09pm On Sep 01, 2012
lol!
Re: Living With Extended Family - Advice Badly Needed! by Truckpusher(m): 8:25pm On Sep 01, 2012
Mrs.Oyibo:
I have been married to my husband for 5 years. He is the eldest of a family of five. Even before we got married my husband always told me about his responsibility to he younger siblings and always made it clear that he would like at least one of them to join us here in the UK. I never had a problem with this and actually thought that it would be good for him to have a sibling in the same country that could help to share the family responsibility.

Finally in August 2010 his Mum, his sister and his youngest brother were granted a visiting visa. His sister came to live with us in September 2010 and his brother joined us in December 2010. My husband's Mum visited in December 2010 and stayed for one month before returning to Nigeria. In January 2011 we applied for EEA residence cards for the two siblings and these were granted in May 2011.

My husband's brother lived with us until October 2011 when we asked him to leave because he had been stealing small amounts of money from my purse, ad had also been expecting my husband and I to continue to financially support him even though he a part time job! Anyway, that matter was resolved and things are once again amicable between us and the brother. My husband's sister continues to live with us in our two bedroom house and she shares a bedroom with my daughter.

So far, so manageable.

Fast forward to this Summer. My husband submitted a request for an EEA family permit for his mother and his remaining unmarried sister to join us in the UK. I told my husband that I was unwilling to have financial responsibility for another of his family members. He agreed and said that his Mum and his sister could stay with his younger brother and just come to visit us occasionally. He also said that we would have no financial responsibility towards his Mum and sister and claimed that this would be the taken care of by his younger brother and the sister that lives with us. I felt that this was reasonable and agreed to sponsor the application.

His Mum's visa was granted But his siter's visa was refused. His Mum arrived o. The 01st June 2012 and has been living with us since. We've been financially responsible for her since. When she arrived in London she didn't have 1 kobo to her name. For the first three weeks that she was here, my daughter had to share a room with my husband's Mum and his sister. The sister has moved out temporarily because she has secured work for the Olympic Period. however as soon as the Paralympics finish she will no longer be accommodated by her employer and will have to move back in. I don't know when my mother-in-law will return to Nigeria because We submitted an EEA residence card application to UKBA for her and they have up until the end of December to reply.

So here is the problem - I want my house back. I want to live in it with my husband and my daughter only. I am tired of living with my mother-in-law who speaks very little English. I am tired of her planning how many things she wants to buy before returning to Nigeria (with our money of course). I am tired of her asking when we will invite her remaining daughter to come and live with us. I am also tired of her moaning about how boring life in the UK is. Very very fed up.

Also feel that now that my sister-in-law is working that she should find her own place to live. After all, she's been with us for almost 2 years.

The problem is that my husband thinks that it is entirely normal that I be accepting of his family. He does not understand, or maybe chooses not to understand, when I tell him that I want control of my home.

How can I effectively manage this situation without causing a war with my husband?

Thanks!

TYPICAL NIGERIAN GIRL,YOUR NEXT MOVE WILL BE ON HOW TO KICK YOUR HUBBY OUT because YOU'VE STARTED KICKING UP DUST WHERE THERE IS NONE...THAT'S WHAT WE GET WHENEVER THIS YOUR OYIBO NEW FOUND FREEDOM GETS INTO YOUR HEAD...YOU'VE ALREADY STARTED SCREAMING MY HOUSE!!!IF I WERE UR HUBBY I'LL MAKE SOME SAVINGS AND WAIT FOR THE D DAY because NO REAL AFRICAN(NIGERIAN)WILL ABANDON HIS MOM AND SIBLINGS KNOWING THE ECONOMIC SITUATION IN THE COUNTRY.
Re: Living With Extended Family - Advice Badly Needed! by Truckpusher(m): 8:33pm On Sep 01, 2012
Mrs.Oyibo:
I'm not Nigerian! I am oyinbo!
sorry to say this,from your written grammar and your English composition you are A TYPICAL BORN AND RAISED IN NAIJA LIKE ME ...SHUT UP.READ MY LIPS...Y.O.U. B.E N.A.I.J.A G.I.R.L you no be oyibo.
Re: Living With Extended Family - Advice Badly Needed! by Nobody: 8:34pm On Sep 01, 2012
Truckpusher: TYPICAL NIGERIAN GIRL,YOUR NEXT MOVE WILL BE ON HOW TO KICK YOUR HUBBY OUT because YOU'VE STARTED KICKING UP DUST WHERE THERE IS NONE...THAT'S WHAT WE GET WHENEVER THIS YOUR OYIBO NEW FOUND FREEDOM GETS INTO YOUR HEAD...YOU'VE ALREADY STARTED SCREAMING MY HOUSE!!!IF I WERE UR HUBBY I'LL MAKE SOME SAVINGS AND WAIT FOR THE D DAY because NO REAL AFRICAN(NIGERIAN)WILL ABANDON HIS MOM AND SIBLINGS KNOWING THE ECONOMIC SITUATION IN THE COUNTRY.

Did you actually read the OP's post - I mean, read and understand? Because from what I've read so far, the OP is Caucasean. Whether she's being honest is irrelevant, but that's what she says she is.

And may I ask - what's your definition of a "Real Nigerian"? One that allows his extended family to raise Cain in his home?
Re: Living With Extended Family - Advice Badly Needed! by Truckpusher(m): 8:43pm On Sep 01, 2012
dasparrow:

Na so now. That is Nigerian mentality for you. When I kept reading the posts of some forumites saying that the mother suffered for the son, I am thinking "so what? except a woman was pregnated during a r[b]a[/b]pe, becoming a mother is a personal choice." I am tired of hearing "our mothers suffered for us, blah, blah, blah." Did anyone think parenting is an easy task? Did anyone force some women and men to manufacture several children that they know they cannot comfortably take care of financially? If God had not given them the child/ren, the same Nigerian women will be in church day and night, 7 days a week praying and fasting for 'fruit of the womb.'

As far as I am concerned, most Nigerian parents did not do anyone a favour bringing children into this wicked world. After all, what future does Nigeria hold for all these youngsters that are brought into the world each day by their Nigerian parents? By the time they are 8 years old, they are sent to hawk goods on their heads or become a housemaid/houseboy in a rich extended family member's house. Most Nigerian parents selfishly bring children into this world to suffer. They know they don't have sufficient funds to provide their children's basic needs yet they phock away and multiply like gremlins. Many years down the line, their poverty stricken selves become a nuisance to their daughter and/or son inlaws and then they try to justify their actions by claiming it is the culture. Culture my foot!
If you where the product of a rape case i did not know,if you where accidentally conceived how am i suppose to know,talking abt making babies when they are aware that their finances can not cater for these kids so i ask you my friend all those one million children in the UK without daddies are they all Nigerians or the thousands of foster homes in the US and UK are they Nigerians?
Re: Living With Extended Family - Advice Badly Needed! by kuntama: 9:40pm On Sep 01, 2012
Truckpusher- what are you talking about.
Kindly enlighten us as I think you may be far too intelligent for this forum!

1 Like

Re: Living With Extended Family - Advice Badly Needed! by Abbey2sam(m): 11:27pm On Sep 01, 2012
[quote author=ibedun]Kick her out and back to Nigeria. My siblings are not and will never be my responsibility, I have rejected that notion from the start. I am responsible for my 2 children only. If my parents couldnt afford 6 children - why the hell did they bring us to the world? they use this cultural be your brothers keeper nonsense to shelve responsibility. Never tolerated any of this from my family and my wife's family. I have a lot to show for my hardwork today and they all respect me more. [/quote
are you high on some chip gari or something? You are definately madt....how i wish you can just become poor,,i mean very poor, like poverty
Re: Living With Extended Family - Advice Badly Needed! by ibedun: 11:38pm On Sep 01, 2012
Dasparrow - you are so right. Let them keep having their futureless children.

i pray to see the day children in Naija start beating up their parents for bringing them to the world knwoing they lack the means to provide them with a decent life.

1 Like

Re: Living With Extended Family - Advice Badly Needed! by Nobody: 11:43pm On Sep 01, 2012
Abbey2sam: are you high on some chip gari or something? You are definately madt....how i wish you can just become poor,,i mean very poor, like poverty

You seem so bitter, why the insults?

Your comments just go to show the state of you mind, your thought process is all screwed up. Can you please quote anywhere the OP mentioned poverty being her mother-in-law, brother and sister-in-law's problem back in Nigeria? You create the impression that all Nigerians in Nigeria are living below the breadline, yet when people pick up on that, you throw a fit.

Priceless!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

15 Brutally Honest Signs Your Husband Wants A Divorce / What Is African Marriage About And What Is It Values? / Make Your Home More Beautiful With Our "pandemic season" Promo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.