Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,838 members, 7,810,219 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:31 AM

South Africa Is Nigeria's Big Brother - Minister - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / South Africa Is Nigeria's Big Brother - Minister (16982 Views)

Why Africa Is Backward (pictures) / Letter From Africa: Cutting Nigeria's 'big Men' Down To Size. BBC / Nigeria's big boys - Pic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: South Africa Is Nigeria's Big Brother - Minister by Nobody: 5:50pm On Aug 31, 2012
The Minister must be made to Apologize to Nigeria and Nigerians for such statement.

Nigeria is the 6th Oil Producer in the world - biggest in Africa.
Nigeria has a population of over 160 million people - Most populous in Africa
Nigeria has the biggest military in Africa - the toughest in Africa
Nigeria has won big brother many more times than SA
Nigeria has the best brains in Africa
Nigeria is the home to the richest man in Africa
Nigeria is the home to biggest banks in Africa

I wanna stop here in my sincere quest for an apology from that minister.

3 Likes

Re: South Africa Is Nigeria's Big Brother - Minister by tucker12(m): 5:52pm On Aug 31, 2012
Franly, my first instinct was this man no well... but a quick review in my head and I said kai!! Na true!! Did I not just try placing an order for a product from SA today?? Soo I laughed...Oga minister your correct!!! grin grin..Biko...No vex!!.
A visit to South Africa shows transformation, improvement, even with their imperfection you will be amazed how their system is build to permutate sustainability, growth and development. Very soon Senegal and other surrounding countries will lead the ranks of brotherhood. undecided undecided cry cry[/b]

1 Like

Re: South Africa Is Nigeria's Big Brother - Minister by stiyke(m): 5:59pm On Aug 31, 2012
the minister is wrong. Even the bokoharamin the north is shivering at the record set by south africa police killing 30 civilians. To make matters worse their gov hav the audacity to charge the surviving 270 minners for murder. Even naija police is gaping with mouth wide open that they been beaten to their game.

2 Likes

Re: South Africa Is Nigeria's Big Brother - Minister by emexwana(m): 6:00pm On Aug 31, 2012
Nairaland is quite an interesting place.
Well, the I guess the Minister must have meant that figuratively if at all he said it. But no where in the said article was the Minister quoted verbatim as saying South Africa is Nigeria's big brother. The Minister has a facebook page which I stumbled on and he referenced this same meeting on his page four days. He only said Nigeria had been at the forefront of the apartheid struggle and any collaboration that helped South Africa move further and further away from their tortuous past was always welcome by the Nigerian Goverment.

You would do well to read the Minister himself on his own facebook page on:

http://www.facebook.com/SamuelOrtom/posts/519163758109644
Re: South Africa Is Nigeria's Big Brother - Minister by Ironi: 7:10pm On Aug 31, 2012
Billyonaire: The Minister must be made to Apologize to Nigeria and Nigerians for such statement.

Na wao, brains for 419 ?

1 Like

Re: South Africa Is Nigeria's Big Brother - Minister by gst101: 7:12pm On Aug 31, 2012
@kenya. Who told you nigeria do not have investments out there? Do not compare your kenya to us in terms of exploring the continent. Have you heard of glo, dangote with investment in 14 african countries, zenith, GTB, access, silverbird. What about our hotels,our insurance companies. You cant match nigeria in any way so pls swallow that.
Re: South Africa Is Nigeria's Big Brother - Minister by sambos994(m): 7:18pm On Aug 31, 2012
Kenyanstar: I am sorry to break your heart guys. South africa is BIG in every way. Be it big brother, big economy, big investment, big money, big infrastructure and even big yansh wink lol. Anyway truth be told Nigeria is trailing in every aspect of social, economic and political class except, well, giving birth. The big uncontrolled birth rate aside, Nigeria hasnt moved beyond her borders to establish any big economical invesment outside Nigeria. Compare this to Kenya's superior international offshore investments. Among this investments are:-
-Telecommunication sector (safaricom mobile),
-Financial sector ( Kenya commercial bank in south sudan, Uganda, rwanda etc)
-Supermarket franchises ( Nakumatt hypermarket, Uchumi hypermarket in all east african countries)
-Transport business( simba coach, Mash Auto, Easy coach, Intercontinental Bus company) operating in all east,central and southern African countries.
-Air transport (Kenya airways which is international, Fly 540 which is regional, Easy jet)etc.
This is just a few of the many organizations that the Kenyans have managed to put their interests in.
Lets just say KENYA also plays a big Sister role to nigerias future cheesy

South Africa yes but Kenya NOOOOOOO!!!!! Please get out of here! I'm pretty sure UBA can buy all those companies one fell swoop. Dude, don't even COMPARE Nigeria to Kenya in terms of economy.
Re: South Africa Is Nigeria's Big Brother - Minister by lekzy01(m): 7:29pm On Aug 31, 2012
gst101: @kenya. Who told you nigeria do not have investments out there? Do not compare your kenya to us in terms of exploring the continent. Have you heard of glo, dangote with investment in 14 african countries, zenith, GTB, access, silverbird. What about our hotels,our insurance companies. You cant match nigeria in any way so pls swallow that.

Plus, Glo nigeria, shoprite supermarket that's own by an ijesha man,standard bank pls, and many more..I can't even mention all of them
Re: South Africa Is Nigeria's Big Brother - Minister by sambos994(m): 7:38pm On Aug 31, 2012
lekzy01:

Plus, Glo nigeria, shoprite supermarket that's own by an ijesha man,standard bank pls, and many more..I can't even mention all of them

UBA, Zenith, Ecobank, Skye Bank, Acess Bank...that guy should shut up.
Re: South Africa Is Nigeria's Big Brother - Minister by TerryCarr(m): 7:38pm On Aug 31, 2012
Ironi:

Lets face it, if the whitemen had not shown up in Africa, say Nigeria, you would still be running around butt naked and eating each other.

Just recognize the truth and stop the pretence.

Yep, you may have oil which makes you a little arrogant, but again lets face it, the white man had to
disclose to you that you have oil and even so there was not a damn thing you could have done about it if he had not come to extract from the ground for you.

Yep, the truth hurts.
depends on the ethnic group a lot were "sophisticated" a lot were not

[img]http://www.africard.ch/Goldgewichte.jpg[/img]
[img]http://2.bp..com/-i2jLZKd7IU4/Tzki7ffWR1I/AAAAAAAAJ2k/SUwd8moGfGc/s640/Kumasi%2Bhouse.png[/img]
Re: South Africa Is Nigeria's Big Brother - Minister by Ironi: 7:40pm On Aug 31, 2012
sambos994:

South Africa yes but Kenya NOOOOOOO!!!!! Please get out of here! I'm pretty sure UBA can buy all those companies one fell swoop. Dude, don't even COMPARE Nigeria to Kenya in terms of economy.

Nope, Kenya is also a big brother to Nigeria.

Nigeria has a big population and a big mouth and there is no competition about that.

Apart from that Nigeria is a small brother to many African countries. grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: South Africa Is Nigeria's Big Brother - Minister by sambos994(m): 7:43pm On Aug 31, 2012
Ironi:

Nigeria has a big population and a big mouth and there is no competition about that.

Apart from that Nigeria is a small brother to many African countries. grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Keep dreamin' bruh..., all those damn companies he mentioned, Dangote can buy them.
Re: South Africa Is Nigeria's Big Brother - Minister by sambos994(m): 7:54pm On Aug 31, 2012
That's what I thought...
Re: South Africa Is Nigeria's Big Brother - Minister by ezeagu(m): 7:56pm On Aug 31, 2012
chrisxxx: Believe me this is the threshold of insanity. SA may have competitive advantage in same areas of development but not in all. If SA is Nigeria's big brother then US and Britain become our God and ancestor respectively. We are friendly competitors not big brother to any. I humbly disagree with you minister.

The United States is definitely Nigeria's "God" and Britain is definitely Nigeria's ancestor.
Re: South Africa Is Nigeria's Big Brother - Minister by ezeagu(m): 8:01pm On Aug 31, 2012
Ironi:

Lets face it, if the whitemen had not shown up in Africa, say Nigeria, you would still be running around butt naked and eating each other.

Just recognize the truth and stop the pretence.

Yep, you may have oil which makes you a little arrogant, but again lets face it, the white man had to
disclose to you that you have oil and even so there was not a damn thing you could have done about it if he had not come to extract from the ground for you.

Yep, the truth hurts.

Let's not act like people without brains. There was nothing civilised about dragging people on ships to sacrifice to your money god. [South] Koreans 100 years ago also did not know the full potential of crude oil or how to extract it, still they are one of the most industrialised nations on earth today.
Re: South Africa Is Nigeria's Big Brother - Minister by azzima(m): 8:12pm On Aug 31, 2012
Ironi:

Of course the white man is your God. What makes you think you can compare Nigeria to USA or UK ?

As a matter of fact I think Africa would be way better off if it is re-sol by the white man.
a big thank you for that.matter of fact, most African countries where you have those so called presidents for life.
Re: South Africa Is Nigeria's Big Brother - Minister by lekzy01(m): 9:09pm On Aug 31, 2012
sambos994:

UBA, Zenith, Ecobank, Skye Bank, Acess Bank...that guy should shut up.

The biggest clinic in brooklyn is own by a Nigerian, AFAM MULTI SPECIALTY MEDICAL GROUP LLC

5205 CHURCH AVE
BROOKLYN,  NY  11203-3513  

(718) 688-8000. Not to talk about that..12percent of many big big companies in dubai are own by Nigerians, that guy should stop talking rubbish here.
Re: South Africa Is Nigeria's Big Brother - Minister by sambos994(m): 9:24pm On Aug 31, 2012
lekzy01:

The biggest clinic in brooklyn is own by a Nigerian, AFAM MULTI SPECIALTY MEDICAL GROUP LLC

5205 CHURCH AVE
BROOKLYN,  NY  11203-3513  

(718) 688-8000. Not to talk about that..12percent of many big big companies in dubai are own by Nigerians, that guy should stop talking rubbish here.

Gatwick owned by a Nigerian i think
Re: South Africa Is Nigeria's Big Brother - Minister by Ironi: 9:34pm On Aug 31, 2012
ezeagu:

Let's not act like people without brains. There was nothing civilised about dragging people on ships to sacrifice to your money god. [South] Koreans 100 years ago also did not know the full potential of crude oil or how to extract it, still they are one of the most industrialised nations on earth today.

Exactly my point.

Look at our behaviour in Africa, I mean all the African countries. Show me one African country which has come close to developing in the mist of all these natural resources. South K, Hong Kong, Malaysia etc were all at par with African countries at independence and yet look at us.

We have had dumbass leaders upon dumbass leaders who would rather plunder the economy of their countries rather than figure a way to improve the economy.

We just can't figure a way to stop fighting and killing each other like baboons and yet we want to compare our selves to UK or USA.

Their gargantuan industrial, scientific and economic strides puts them light years ahead of anything we can possibly concieve in Africa.

Believe me benevolent or strategic re-colonization of the African continent to develop it would do a lot of good for Africa.

Pride aside, we seem to work well with whites and adapt some discipline in that environment. They would come with a lot of discipline, technical know-how and and ready to transfer knowledge.

Left on our own we shall always set the clock back and self destruct eventually. That has been our lot in Africa.

2 Likes

Re: South Africa Is Nigeria's Big Brother - Minister by sambos994(m): 9:46pm On Aug 31, 2012
Ironi:

Exactly my point.

Look at our behaviour in Africa, I mean all the African countries. Show me one African country which has come close to developing in the mist of all these natural resources. South K, Hong Kong, Malaysia etc were all at par with African countries at independence and yet look at us.

We have had dumbass leaders upon dumbass leaders who would rather plunder the economy of their countries rather than figure a way to improve the economy.

We just can't figure a way to stop fighting and killing each other like baboons and yet we want to compare our selves to UK or USA.

Their gargantuan industrial, scientific and economic strides puts them light years ahead of anything we can possibly concieve in Africa.

Believe me benevolent or strategic re-colonization of the African continent to develop it would do a lot of good for Africa.

Pride aside, we seem to work well with whites and adapt some discipline in that environment. They would come with a lot of discipline, technical know-how and and ready to transfer knowledge.

Left on our own we shall always set the clock back and self destruct eventually. That has been our lot in Africa.

This I agree on....the damn leaders have no freaking vision whatsoever. Nigeria has so much, no, too much potential to be in this state. We get billions and billions of dollars yet the politicians put it in their pockets.
Re: South Africa Is Nigeria's Big Brother - Minister by Abbey2sam(m): 10:30pm On Aug 31, 2012
I guess america is our great grand father......useless speach by a useless minister
Re: South Africa Is Nigeria's Big Brother - Minister by Tinyemeka(m): 10:54pm On Aug 31, 2012
sambos994:

http://allafrica.com/stories/201208310545.html

Since when?

Wishy-washy!

I looked and looked and never saw a single sentence in the story, where the minister was quoted as making that statement about SA. All posters who have made comments should show me the line where the minister said that please.

Learn to read in between lines and discern propaganda.
Re: South Africa Is Nigeria's Big Brother - Minister by Ikengawo: 11:22pm On Aug 31, 2012
Billyonaire: The Minister must be made to Apologize to Nigeria and Nigerians for such statement.

hahahaha by d grace of jesos
Re: South Africa Is Nigeria's Big Brother - Minister by Nobody: 11:24pm On Aug 31, 2012
DICKtator: Dumb f.uck. Whatever happened to our pride as a nation?Like Nigerians do not have investment in S.A.!!! Even though it is the obvious truth, should we be condescending to attract more investors from S.A?proverbial Esau selling "birthright" to Jacob.
This minister should run to the market and price cassava flakes than spewing this cow dung.
Nigeria is the window of Africa to the world and it shall remain so.
Death to visionless,bigoted and missionless leaders!!!!!!

On a lighter note, I'll assume it was a Freudian slip!!.
grin grin grin grin

una get nation?
Re: South Africa Is Nigeria's Big Brother - Minister by TerryCarr(m): 11:29pm On Aug 31, 2012
Botswana, cape verde, Seychelles, Mauritius are some of the only African nations that are "civilized".
Re: South Africa Is Nigeria's Big Brother - Minister by mruknaijaboy(m): 2:16am On Sep 01, 2012

And what have all these points youve mentioned done for our country apart from being there just for show?

Please break it down for me bros and explain because as far as im concerned we are still failing big time
Re: South Africa Is Nigeria's Big Brother - Minister by koruji(m): 2:40am On Sep 01, 2012
This man deserves to be sacked.
Re: South Africa Is Nigeria's Big Brother - Minister by koruji(m): 2:41am On Sep 01, 2012
And your brains is a smaller version of what the ant carries around.

Ironi:

Re: South Africa Is Nigeria's Big Brother - Minister by Jyde89: 4:23am On Sep 01, 2012
lekzy01:

Hey, what's ur nationality?
ask google
Re: South Africa Is Nigeria's Big Brother - Minister by Ekowise(m): 6:19am On Sep 01, 2012
Bleep S.A. Thesame S.A. Nigeria fought for during the APARTHIED before their independence.
Mtcheewwww
Re: South Africa Is Nigeria's Big Brother - Minister by lekzy01(m): 7:38am On Sep 01, 2012
Jyde89: ask google

Oh ic, I can nw sensed that u are living under ground where u don't knw what's going on earth,,I wonder how u came across nairaland self..
Re: South Africa Is Nigeria's Big Brother - Minister by PhysicsQED(m): 8:12am On Sep 01, 2012
Billyonaire: Nigeria has won big brother many more times than SA

Funny grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Governor Abdulfatah Ahmed Arrives China / Osinbajo: Buhari Has Ordered Prosecution Of Lawal, Oke / Obasanjo Is Helping Nigeria Secure Its Future - Osinbajo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.