Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,025 members, 7,818,027 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:23 AM

Movie Trailer Of The International Action Comedy "Streets Of Calabar" - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Movie Trailer Of The International Action Comedy "Streets Of Calabar" (3573 Views)

Trailer Of "Dead City - Rise Of The Aliens" (A New Nigerian Movie) / Trailer Of 'The Four Boys' (An Aluu 4 Movie) / Trailer Of "Awakening": A Nigerian Dark Thriller (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Movie Trailer Of The International Action Comedy "Streets Of Calabar" by PJPNIG(m): 3:24pm On Aug 31, 2012
http://www.streetsofcalabar.com/trailer/index.html

Synopsis

Chuks Oti, mixed-race 419 (advance fee fraud) scammer and illegal immigrant recently deported back to his home country Nigeria from London. Once there he manages to wangle his way out of a possible jail term and ends up in the holiday resort city, Calabar, living with his loyal, much younger British girlfriend Margaret, who insisted on travelling with him to Nigeria.

Chuks takes on menial jobs to make ends meet, but life is difficult .When he runs into his old 419 mate, Mike, a Nigerian pleasure seeker who is full of wild energy and loves to take risks, the two down-on-their-luck friends, with no jobs and no prospects, soon find themselves back in the criminal world.

They become enveloped in a web of scams and danger presided over by the mysterious De Don, leader of a gang of underground arms and drug dealers, who’s hatched an evil plan to takeover the peaceful streets of Calabar.

Chuks and Mike are forced to become part of a dangerous covert police mission led by two internationally trained detectives to stop De Don and keep the streets of Calabar free of crime. But they soon find themselves the targets, as the evil De Don suspects a double cross.

Pursued across the breathtaking scenery of Cross River State by De Don and his guards as well as a raging group of Cameroonian “yardies”, not to mention one very pissed off cattle herdsman, time ticks down to an explosive climax.

Writer and former BBC/CNN reporter and presenter, Charles Aniagolu, weaves an intricate and funny story in this thriller-comedy, with a cleverness and wit that will leave you tense and laughing at the same time.

Re: Movie Trailer Of The International Action Comedy "Streets Of Calabar" by semid4lyfe(m): 5:06pm On Aug 31, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00zC4oFmxEw

I am so not feeling the trailer. . .the voice dey one kind and acting looks sub par.

Reminds me of that wack Obi Emelonye film Mirror Boy grin
Re: Movie Trailer Of The International Action Comedy "Streets Of Calabar" by sholay2011(m): 11:27pm On Aug 31, 2012
semid4lyfe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00zC4oFmxEw

I am so not feeling the trailer. . .the voice dey one kind and acting looks sub par.

Did you just call 'Mirror boy' a wack film? It's either u were high when u typed this or u saw d movie with your left eye closed. Bad belle! shocked
Re: Movie Trailer Of The International Action Comedy "Streets Of Calabar" by semid4lyfe(m): 12:56am On Sep 01, 2012
sholay2011:
Did you just call 'Mirror boy' a wack film? It's either u were high when u typed this or u saw d movie with your left eye closed. Bad belle! shocked

YES I called it wack and most NLDers who have seen the movie agree with me. Here's my comment on the Mirror Boy Makes Over N12million In First Week thread last year.

semid4lyfe On Aug 22, 2011 @ 12:09pm:

Hmmm. . .haven't seen the movie but from the little I've seen from the trailer, it's a substandard movie and the acting was definitely not it. i.e The scenes where the fat white boy was making fun of Genevieve's son, the fight between them, where Genevieve's son was slapped in the Market in Gambia etc all looked fake and unconvincing to me cry

Hell, even Aki's ''false'' bad tooth & dentition looked totally ridiculous and laughable to me. . . result of bad make-up IMO. Only thing real and convincing to me (from the trailer) was Genevieve's crying and tears and that ain't surprising as na Nollywood actress she be grin

All in all, the trailer does not inspire and motivate me to go watch it @ the Cinema or buy it when it's released on DVD. . .and this is what a trailer is supposed to do

Lastly, why did Obi Emelonye write, direct and produce the movie? Does he have a problem with the concepts of ''division of labour'' and ''professionalism''? sad

As far as me dey concerned, na typical Nollywood movie shot (in London & Gambia) with high-definition equipments and made with better technology than most Nollywood productions but the acting and performances get big comma

Nothing spectacular about the movie and it's definitely not worth a visit to the cinema is my humble opinion

I'm not one of those Nollywood bashers and if a Nollywood movie is good, I'll say it is. You can check HERE for my contrasting review of another Nollywood movie to see what I mean wink

I'm sure you fall into the category of peeps who think Jenifa and Blackberry Babes were awesome movies. . .Shioor! grin
Re: Movie Trailer Of The International Action Comedy "Streets Of Calabar" by lovefilm: 1:58pm On Sep 01, 2012
This movie looks great and I really like the storyline. I think Nigeria should be proud of it's efforts in filmmaking and the quality is definitely getting better and better. If they had big budgets like Hollywood then maybe you could complain but you know what these guys don't have millions and millions of pounds! Get behind your filmmakers and encourage them..don't diss them. That's the problem with Nigerians! We don't support each other's efforts!!!!!!
Re: Movie Trailer Of The International Action Comedy "Streets Of Calabar" by VillageBoi(m): 4:07pm On Sep 01, 2012
semid4lyfe:

That disgrace of a fool doing the voice that is pretending not to know how to pronounce any name totally kills the trailer. Having said that it's still better than that pretty bad movie 'Mirror Boy'.
If you watch it with the sound off it's a bit more impressive. I like the loads of extras they used.
Re: Movie Trailer Of The International Action Comedy "Streets Of Calabar" by VillageBoi(m): 4:18pm On Sep 01, 2012
lovefilm: This movie looks great and I really like the storyline. I think Nigeria should be proud of it's efforts in filmmaking and the quality is definitely getting better and better. If they had big budgets like Hollywood then maybe you could complain but you know what these guys don't have millions and millions of pounds! Get behind your filmmakers and encourage them..don't diss them. That's the problem with Nigerians! We don't support each other's efforts!!!!!!

Please let us not use not having big Hollywood budgets as an excuse. There are thousands of awesome small budget films from all over the world but they really think about what 'good' film they can make within their small budget. Secondly as long as we stick to the kpa, kpa, kpa super quick method of making films they will NEVER be good talkless of great. Then some will argue that 'our' films have won awards all over the world. Ah, nameless award ceremonies... there are only THREE movie award ceremonies on the planet that really mean anything.

We can't keep on praising mediocre work just because it's Nigerian. Oh that's true, we do need to praise everything from a country that in HALF a century can't even produce constant electricity!
Re: Movie Trailer Of The International Action Comedy "Streets Of Calabar" by PJPNIG(m): 6:27pm On Sep 01, 2012
VillageBoi:

That disgrace of a fool doing the voice that is pretending not to know how to pronounce any name totally kills the trailer. Having said that it's still better than that pretty bad movie 'Mirror Boy'.
If you watch it with the sound off it's a bit more impressive. I like the loads of extras they used.

This is an international film production and the fact that the voice over does not pronounce Nigerian names the way they should be goes without saying. (Being a none Nigerian) I personally feel that the time has come for Nigerians to begin to raise the bar of our film production industry.
Re: Movie Trailer Of The International Action Comedy "Streets Of Calabar" by lovefilm: 11:47pm On Sep 01, 2012
Well maybe people should see the movie before making judgements about the quality etc.
Re: Movie Trailer Of The International Action Comedy "Streets Of Calabar" by lovefilm: 4:40pm On Sep 02, 2012
VillageBoi:

Please let us not use not having big Hollywood budgets as an excuse. There are thousands of awesome small budget films from all over the world but they really think about what 'good' film they can make within their small budget. Secondly as long as we stick to the kpa, kpa, kpa super quick method of making films they will NEVER be good talkless of great. Then some will argue that 'our' films have won awards all over the world. Ah, nameless award ceremonies... there are only THREE movie award ceremonies on the planet that really mean anything.

We can't keep on praising mediocre work just because it's Nigerian. Oh that's true, we do need to praise everything from a country that in HALF a century can't even produce constant electricity!

Oh dear. This is rich coming from someone who doesn't even live in Nigeria.
Re: Movie Trailer Of The International Action Comedy "Streets Of Calabar" by VillageBoi(m): 9:25pm On Sep 02, 2012
lovefilm:

Oh dear. This is rich coming from someone who doesn't even live in Nigeria.

Where I live is your issue? As said before feel free, in this day and age of technology and know-how being accessible to everyone, to keep on singing the praises of mediocre work as apparently it is the Nigerian way.
Re: Movie Trailer Of The International Action Comedy "Streets Of Calabar" by ProudUSA: 2:33pm On Sep 03, 2012
I've seen clips of old Nigerian tv series like New Masquerade, Samanja, Bassey & Co. and so on and I believe they were truly talented, professional actors skilled in their craft far more creative and believable than many Nollywood home videos produced today.
I don't think those old series had high budgets for their quality work.

You don't need millions to tell a good story.

There should be many creative Nigerians out there waiting to make their mark and possibly the current producers will eventually get better.

1 Like

Re: Movie Trailer Of The International Action Comedy "Streets Of Calabar" by VillageBoi(m): 8:33pm On Sep 03, 2012
ProudUSA: I've seen clips of old Nigerian tv series like New Masquerade, Samanja, Bassey & Co. and so on and I believe they were truly talented, professional actors skilled in their craft far more creative and believable than many Nollywood home videos produced today.
I don't think those old series had high budgets for their quality work.

You don't need millions to tell a good story.

There should be many creative Nigerians out there waiting to make their mark and possibly the current producers will eventually get better.

Very well said. Couldn't have put it better myself!!

(1) (Reply)

Orissa, Golden Emperor, Trinity, And Bluey Vuitton Magic Mushroom Strains review / Tstv/kwese Tv / America's Next Top Model

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.