Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,832 members, 7,810,201 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:31 PM

Nnaji's Exit Is Affecting Power Supply. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nnaji's Exit Is Affecting Power Supply. (6167 Views)

Tribunal Sacks Senator Gilbert Nnaji / How Buhari’s Slow Pace Is Affecting The War Against Boko Haram! / Bloomberg Says Jonathan’s Exit Is Needed Spark To Ignite Nigeria’s Stocks Market (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nnaji's Exit Is Affecting Power Supply. by dadde(m): 10:28am On Sep 04, 2012
The current erratic electricity supply being experienced in some parts of the country has been linked to the poor attitude to work by officials of the successor companies of the Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN), THISDAY has learnt.

It was gathered that the PHCN workers have resorted to what electricity consumers called “business-as-usual,” following the resignation of Prof. Bart Nnaji as Minister for Power.

THISDAY’s investigation revealed that since Nnaji’s resignation, electricity supply has dropped in some towns and major cities, including Lagos, Enugu, Abuja, Port Harcourt and Kaduna.

To underscore government’s seriousness to pursue the power reform agenda robustly, Nnaji was known to have removed top level managers of the generation, transmission and distribution companies who failed to perform and consistently missed their service level agreement targets.

Most of the chief executive officers (CEOs) of the successor companies, who were contacted by THISDAY over the current erratic supply declined to comment on the matter due to what they described as “the current atmosphere of uncertainty caused by the resignation of the former minister”.

Other CEOs, who spoke on condition of anonymity, referred THISDAY to the National Control Centre (NCC) at Oshogbo in Osun Sate, for clarifications.

A source at NCC however blamed the fluctuation in supply on the inability of the distribution companies to respond quickly to faults on the lines.

He acknowledged that there was drop in daily allocations to the distribution companies since the resignation of the former minister but added that there could also be faults in some of the lines that might have affected the ability of the companies to deliver power to their customers.

He however declined to disclose the quantity of power being generated in the country.

“One thing is to send power from the generating companies to the grid via the control centre and another thing is allocating this power and sending it to the discos. But whether this power is delivered to the customers is a different ball game. There are losses between the Gencos and the national grid. There are also losses between the national grid and the discos. Of course, there are also losses between the distribution companies and the customers. If supply to the customers has dropped substantially, it means that the discos are not doing their jobs,” he said.

Nnaji had instilled discipline and accountability among PHCN top management when he was the presiding minister.

Barely one month after he assumed duties in July 2011, Nnaji sacked four CEOs of Distribution companies across the country.

He said the move was to strengthen the capacity of distribution companies nationwide to enable them serve the public better.

Also in April this year, he ordered the removal of the Managing Director of the Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN); the market operator and the executive director, Human Resources of PHCN, for their failure to prevent what he described as “controllable impediment” to supply power to Nigerians.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/erratic-power-supply-linked-to-nnaji-s-resignation/124002/
Re: Nnaji's Exit Is Affecting Power Supply. by austinsmat(m): 11:19am On Sep 04, 2012
phcn biz pls repent
Re: Nnaji's Exit Is Affecting Power Supply. by austinsmat(m): 11:20am On Sep 04, 2012
shame to all phcn and all this cabals that are causing this shortage of power and puting masses in darkness will never see good thing imaging we are gaving 20hrs light but as nnaji left we hardly have up to 4hrs
Re: Nnaji's Exit Is Affecting Power Supply. by dadde(m): 11:21am On Sep 04, 2012
i think nnaji had to chose between Nigeria and his personal goal.he definitely opted his personal goals.

1 Like

Re: Nnaji's Exit Is Affecting Power Supply. by dasparrow: 11:31am On Sep 04, 2012
@Post

Until Nigerians learn to hold their leaders and those in positions of authority accountable, they will continue to suffer. I don't know why we take one step forward and twelve steps backward in Nigeria.
Re: Nnaji's Exit Is Affecting Power Supply. by taharqa: 11:32am On Sep 04, 2012
More reasons why d Power Reform Process dat will liberalize d 'PHCN' Must conclude(ie assuming I totali agreed wit dis article cos I presently hold views expressd by Nigerian newspapers wit a pint of salt- moreova, power is still d way it was when Barth was there)
Re: Nnaji's Exit Is Affecting Power Supply. by DExplorer1: 11:35am On Sep 04, 2012
That dude left few days ago and it's already affecting the power sector? Trash
Re: Nnaji's Exit Is Affecting Power Supply. by Obiagu1(m): 11:39am On Sep 04, 2012
dadde: i think nnaji had to chose between Nigeria and his personal goal.he definitely opted his personal goals.

It still does not make sense that you have a construction company and then became a governor. Because of that, your construction company is barred from bidding for contracts else you have to resign your position as a governor before your company becomes eligible again. If you are in this position, what would you do? Continue being the governor (if your intention is not to steal money) or resign and promote your company that is your life struggle?

6 Likes

Re: Nnaji's Exit Is Affecting Power Supply. by dadde(m): 12:15pm On Sep 04, 2012
Obiagu1:

It still does not make sense that you have a construction company and then became a governor. Because of that, your construction company is barred from bidding for contracts else you have to resign your position as a governor before your company becomes eligible again. If you are in this position, what would you do? Continue being the governor (if your intention is not to steal money) or resign and promote your company that is your life struggle?
Hello my brother,am not in any way castigating Nnaji for what he has done. it all shows his level of credibility. if i were him, i would have probably done the same to show all my integrity.
kudos to him.
Re: Nnaji's Exit Is Affecting Power Supply. by macjive01: 12:32pm On Sep 04, 2012
He did the right thing; he resign as CEO and put his share in a blind trust, having said that he could still have influence contract to his company, what those that sacked him would have done was to Investigate any contract his company wins to ascertain be hiss influence it.

Just the way if you know someday in managerial position in a company u re seeking employment, the vetting doesn't denial you the opportunity but to ascertain if the person you know did influence it.
Re: Nnaji's Exit Is Affecting Power Supply. by Mekusnwa: 12:36pm On Sep 04, 2012
Obiagu1:

Brother, you have a point. But our laws think otherwise. The law governing privatisation in Nigeria precludes any member of the National Council on Priatisation or BPE from buying shares in the companies undergoing privatisation. It is this law that Nnaji breached. Besides, it is revealed that the former minister also presented a memo to FEC for the approval of 6 billion Naira for the refurbishment of the very plants where his companies bidded.

It is a classical case of conflict of interest capable of sabotaging the entire process. Jonathan had assured Foriegn investors willing to partake in the privatisation process of a credible process.
The Minister had to resign in order to salvage the reforms and restore credibility to the entire process.
I miss him though.
Re: Nnaji's Exit Is Affecting Power Supply. by Obiagu1(m): 12:44pm On Sep 04, 2012
Mekusnwa:
Brother, you have a point. But our laws think otherwise. The law governing privatisation in Nigeria precludes any member of the National Council on Priatisation or BPE from buying shares in the companies undergoing privatisation. It is this law that Nnaji breached. Besides, it is revealed that the former minister also presented a memo to FEC for the approval of 6 billion Naira for the refurbishment of the very plants where his companies bidded.

It is a classical case of conflict of interest capable of sabotaging the entire process. Jonathan had assured Foriegn investors willing to partake in the privatisation process of a credible process.
The Minister had to resign in order to salvage the reforms and restore credibility to the entire process.
I miss him though.

I really do not care much about what the law says on the issue because it's not a very good law.
Anyway, it gives Nigeria and Nigerians a feel-good moment when Nigeria is sold to foreigners in the name of making good money from everything privatized.

1 Like

Re: Nnaji's Exit Is Affecting Power Supply. by Nobody: 1:07pm On Sep 04, 2012
Soldier go soldier come, i dot tink it has any impact on power supply
Re: Nnaji's Exit Is Affecting Power Supply. by irecruit(m): 1:11pm On Sep 04, 2012
i will that it has not changed anything
Re: Nnaji's Exit Is Affecting Power Supply. by dadde(m): 1:11pm On Sep 04, 2012
Obiagu1:

I really do not care much about what the law says on the issue because it's not a very good law.
Anyway, it gives Nigeria and Nigerians a feel-good moment when Nigeria is sold to foreigners in the name of making good money from everything privatized.
Your comments have really shown that you dont have enough knowledge of how business is been done internationally. for there to be credibility, the The umpire can not be part of the bid. its called ethics of business. its done same way all over the world. it is guided against insider trading.
Re: Nnaji's Exit Is Affecting Power Supply. by dedeike: 1:13pm On Sep 04, 2012
Obiagu1:

I agree with you. This is one of those instances where I feel the so called law should have been dishonuored in the overall interest of the power sector.
Barth Nnaji appears very irreplaceable. But on a second thought, I feel the president acted right in order to restore investors confidence in the privatisation process.

Secondly, its is better for Barth Nnaji to even continue the running of the power sector in a post privatisation era through Geometric
Re: Nnaji's Exit Is Affecting Power Supply. by miteolu(m): 1:13pm On Sep 04, 2012
Too short to conclude, give me 9 months
Re: Nnaji's Exit Is Affecting Power Supply. by obazology(m): 1:14pm On Sep 04, 2012
i think Nnaji is just trying to be smart and then want to be independent that is why he is resigning from their position in which he held for a year. so lets called a spade a spade. he has resign let there be a resolution on this.
Re: Nnaji's Exit Is Affecting Power Supply. by JayKayMaybachz(m): 1:15pm On Sep 04, 2012
lipsrsealed undecided diz country no follow aqain ... Mtcheeeeeew
Re: Nnaji's Exit Is Affecting Power Supply. by ziccoit: 1:20pm On Sep 04, 2012
Nigeria has about 15% of what she needs to have a stable and uninterrupted power supply.
How do you think his 5days exit would have effected the non-existing megawatt to become multi-megawatt to the level of impacting a palpable changes in the lives of citizens?
Re: Nnaji's Exit Is Affecting Power Supply. by Manbush: 1:23pm On Sep 04, 2012
Mekusnwa:

I miss him though.

What we are saying is that this law should be repealed. Don't be fanatical about laws. They were made by man for man.
Re: Nnaji's Exit Is Affecting Power Supply. by Nightshift(m): 1:28pm On Sep 04, 2012
Judging from Thisday's investigation ,it's apparent that nobody is presently forcing the horse to drink water like Nnaji was doing. Moreover , an established culture is difficult to do away with . PHCN culture since decades, has been to keep Nigerians in darkness . Western companies ( whose investments are needed) started developing cold feet about Nigeria government seriousness since Nnaji's departure . A tougher future lies ahead for the country's energy sector .
Re: Nnaji's Exit Is Affecting Power Supply. by mymadam(m): 1:31pm On Sep 04, 2012
Obiagu1:

Thank you, Obiagu1. You're truly "your father's son". I would do exactly the same thing... on moral grounds. It would have been morally wrong for Nnaji to have stayed on due to a possible conflict of interest (IMHO). Come to think of it, I've actually had the opportunity to make a similar choice, albeit on a smaller scale. Of course I did the right thing! Credibility, integrity, honour... you name it. "A good name is better than...". God bless Nigeria.
Re: Nnaji's Exit Is Affecting Power Supply. by NOLONGTIN1(m): 1:32pm On Sep 04, 2012
Last month i was so happy, going to every forum i'm a member of praising GEJ and Nnaji for the unbelievable improvement in the power sector, but after his(Nnaji) resignation power supply to my area has dropped(4-6hrs per day) although its better than before but its worse than last month..... Now i know how hard Nnaji worked as the minster for power

1 Like

Re: Nnaji's Exit Is Affecting Power Supply. by Nobody: 1:38pm On Sep 04, 2012
for a man to resign from a powerful and lucrative portfolio like the power ministry, he has lot of integrity and openness.

Who resign as a minister when he can amass lot of wealth using phoney ideas. Barth Nnaji is a man of honour

He resigned because he never wanted to be corrupted by the thieving cabals. His company bidding in the power sector reform was just an excuse from the cabals to tarnish him, force him out and continue in their squander we know them for.

Which independent contractor in Nigeria has ever bid for a contract and got it fairly. It is still the same politicians that awards this jobs to them selves through cronies and third party arrangements. Even the jobs given to Bergers and the like are allocated to thieving politicians before it gets to them for finally for executions.

6 Likes

Re: Nnaji's Exit Is Affecting Power Supply. by fingard02k(m): 1:40pm On Sep 04, 2012
I must confess his resignation abi sack sorry exit really affect it..The worst part of it now is that the so called FIXED CHARGE is now 1,000 naira no more 500 naira..I was kinda mad when i saw that on the receipt they (PHCN) gave me last friday when i purchased their units..My question now is "What about the common man?" -Michael Jackson
Re: Nnaji's Exit Is Affecting Power Supply. by akdjr(m): 1:41pm On Sep 04, 2012
More of his kind will follow the same trend..... for development to take place.
Re: Nnaji's Exit Is Affecting Power Supply. by Malawian(m): 1:42pm On Sep 04, 2012
Sell all those power plants to nnaji nafriend! Since he was in charge, our bill never exceeded 4k per month. We use more than 6k per week to fuel generator for biz. Why should i be bordered if he was doing sharp practices or not? I want cheap stable electicity. Thats all. They way nepa takes and brings the light since he left is not funny. Sometimes, it lasts for just five mins before they take their thing back. Of what use is nepa to me then? I dont care who owns it! I just want light cos my profits cant be all spent on buying fuel.
Re: Nnaji's Exit Is Affecting Power Supply. by Nobody: 1:43pm On Sep 04, 2012
ALL THIS TALK IS BULLSHIT. GRAB ALL PHCN STAFF, LINE THEM UP AND PHUCK THEIR BODIES WITH BULLETS. BLOODY ANIMALS.
Re: Nnaji's Exit Is Affecting Power Supply. by Nobody: 1:46pm On Sep 04, 2012
Singing
"When Nepa dey do light nyaga nyaga for naija people
Wetin dem dey find oh oh oh oh
Wahala dem dey find
Wahala dem go geti oh oh oh oh"
Re: Nnaji's Exit Is Affecting Power Supply. by Nobody: 1:48pm On Sep 04, 2012
I almost want to believe Nigerians are cursed with bad leaders cuz the ones who like to do good are always crucified. angry
Re: Nnaji's Exit Is Affecting Power Supply. by Nobody: 1:48pm On Sep 04, 2012
NIGERIA IS A BREEDING GROUND FOR DEVILS AND EVIL PEOPLE. AND AT THE END OF THE DAY, THEY GO TO CHURCHES AND MOSQUES. GOD FORGIVE ME, BUT AM 95% SURE THAT THERE'S A DIFFERENT GOD FOR 9JA.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Anambra Government Now Uses Innoson Vehicles On Its Convoys And Fleets(pictures) / Femi Fani Kayode Appointed Media Director Of Jonathan's Campaign Team / INEC Declares Magnus Abe Winner Of Rivers South East Senatorial Rerun Election

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.