Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,149 members, 7,818,453 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:12 PM

What Do You Think Of Nairaland's Garri Peeps? - Nairaland / General (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / What Do You Think Of Nairaland's Garri Peeps? (48271 Views)

Ladies Only: I Am The Most Handsome Guy In The History Of Nairaland. / Please Rate Me.what Exactly Do You Think Of Me? / Who Is Diddy? What Do U Think Of Him? Who Doesnt Know Diddy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (32) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Do You Think Of Nairaland's Garri Peeps? by oluoma1: 9:03am On Sep 05, 2012
Funny but it is true. A friend of mine called me this morning and said that Suen has twenty-four (24) bags of 'garri' in his house, and his banning pple mentioning garri here. And how does this thread affect the price of garri?
Re: What Do You Think Of Nairaland's Garri Peeps? by SeunshackGarri: 9:03am On Sep 05, 2012
Freedom of speech is key. This is an avenue for the ruling class of Nairaland to practice the diplomatic skills they accuse the Nigerian government of lacking. These G-unit people push up viewership on this forum and have created more user id's this last month than any other period, hence pushing up the number of members (even though we know the real number is 942,102 divided by 6).

Nowhere in the world is open tyranny still fashionable.

3 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Of Nairaland's Garri Peeps? by BusHouse(m): 9:03am On Sep 05, 2012
dohyn: I am indifferent about the garri issue but I'm glad it came up.The whole thing started as a harmless joke but seun turned it into a fight when he started banning people.Trust me,the fad would have died out over time if he had ignored it but no,he and his mods(especially that sexkillz of a person)has to exercise power..
Well,Nairalanders have shown him that they won't stand for highhandedness of any sort.My honest take is that he should apologise to everyone he's banned and see if things won't normalize quickly.I know he won't do that though..He's too proud,at least going by his utterances.Anyways,he should remember that power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely..
Just my 2kobo..By the way,seun should muzzle sexkillz a little if he doesn't want nairaland to be killed.
Seun & his team, i hope you are reading this piece of advise?
Re: What Do You Think Of Nairaland's Garri Peeps? by Shaw007(m): 9:04am On Sep 05, 2012
NO matter how frequent u see a Garri post,it just comes up with some renewed kind of amusement. . .but hey,ntn lasts 4ever,and definitely not the garri rebelliongrin
Re: What Do You Think Of Nairaland's Garri Peeps? by sweetgala(m): 9:05am On Sep 05, 2012
Ok wahala dey!!, I just read a post 8:49 a few seconds ago, hit the refresh button upon completion and its been hidden.
Seun all aspects of respect reserved for you is evaporating. The guy wrote a compelling argument.
All mods should use decorum.
More important issues need to be addressed on Nairaland primarily tribalism.

Free these garri guys they would come and go don't agitate them.
Re: What Do You Think Of Nairaland's Garri Peeps? by jhydebaba(m): 9:06am On Sep 05, 2012
BREAKING NEWS!!!
As a result of the incessant comment of garri on Nairaland, the price of garri is hereby increased by 200 percent effective from today.
Any further comment will attract a BAN and/or upward review in the price of garri.
Thanks for your co-operation.
Re: What Do You Think Of Nairaland's Garri Peeps? by fesse(f): 9:07am On Sep 05, 2012
@BREAD 4 SEUN,
You must be high on GARRI for you to say that you are catholic priest. Too much of garri is very dangerous to health.
Re: What Do You Think Of Nairaland's Garri Peeps? by Rick9(m): 9:10am On Sep 05, 2012
SEUN DA FORM TYRANNY
The garri group has come to stay
Seun ur mods en them 2 wicked O. Weti dem dey feel lyk.
Garrrrrrriiiii.NATION

2 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Of Nairaland's Garri Peeps? by Niseamaka(m): 9:10am On Sep 05, 2012
Leobreezy: We reserve the right 2 express our freedom of speech. I see no reason why the word "garri", an essential commodity in every home, should be treated as a vulgar remark. Besides, being humorous as it is, it brings laughter 2 d hearts of many. D general attitude of Nigerians is dat, even in dire situations, we still bring out d funny side of it e.g d fuel subsidy palava. Dats wat keeps us going, if nt, d problems of dis country would've killed us long ago. Seun, there are better issues 2 have sleepless nights over. I'm a bit suprised dat dis topic made front page sef. Those who are antipathetic to d garri crew, are u trying 2 tell me dat u havn't laughed at one of there posts b4?? U guys are just making a mountain out of nothing.

I wonder how you came to the conclusion that garri is an essential commodity in every home and that mentioning it brings laughter to the hearts of many. This garri issue is the most irritating since i joined this forum. There is nothing hilarious about someone mentioning about the price of garri always in almost every thread.
Re: What Do You Think Of Nairaland's Garri Peeps? by Nobody: 9:11am On Sep 05, 2012
Lilspicer: Is sum hw anoys if dey dnt hav wat to post dey shuld shutup dan occcupyin space makin the trend loger especially dose dat highlit long post just to refer to the person...any hw dose dis reduce the price of 15mb from etisalat no be still 200naira or?

And MTN 10MB is N100. But it doesnt change the market price of Garri. grin
Re: What Do You Think Of Nairaland's Garri Peeps? by yohannazack(m): 9:11am On Sep 05, 2012
Dats humour which is good if u ask me. All woks witout play, makes jack a dull fellow. GARRI GANG u guys are jst gud. Kip it up!
Re: What Do You Think Of Nairaland's Garri Peeps? by soma042(m): 9:12am On Sep 05, 2012
who knows where this garri things will take us to.
maybe a revolt against our govt for making the poor people suffer.
guess what, im likn it
up G UNIT

Re: What Do You Think Of Nairaland's Garri Peeps? by garridude: 9:13am On Sep 05, 2012
Garri (also known as gari, garry, or tapioca) is a popular West African food made from cassava tubers. The spelling 'garri' is mainly used in Nigeria, Cameroon, Sierra Leone and 'gari' in Ghana.
Process

To make garri, cassava tubers are peeled, washed and grated or crushed to produce a mash. The mash is placed in a porous bag and allowed to ferment for one or two days, while weights are placed on the bag to press the water out. It is then sieved (or sifted) and roasted by heating in a bowl. The resulting dry granular garri can be stored for long periods. It may be pounded or ground to make a fine flour.
Eba is a stiff dough made by soaking gari in hot water and kneading it with a flat wooden baton. Kokoro is a common snack food in Nigeria made from a paste of maize flour mixed with gari and sugar and deep-fried.[2]
Garri comes in various consistencies, which can roughly be categorized into: rough, medium and smooth. Each type is used for a particular meal.
As a snack or light meal, garri can be soaked in cold water (in which case it settles to the bottom), mixed with sugar and sometimes roasted peanut, with evaporated milk sometimes added. The amount of water needed for soaked garri is 3:1. Garri can also be eaten dry without water, but with sugar and roasted peanut added.
In its dry form, garri is also a nice accompaniment for soft cooked beans and palm oil. This food mix is called Yor ke Garri in the Ga language, in Ghana. This food is usually eaten with fried plantain, commonly known as kokor. The combo is a common meal for lunch.
For a full meal, garri is usually cooked by adding to hot water and kneaded into dough. This is usually eaten with different types of stew or soup with vegetables added (plain tomato/pepper soups with vegetables such as okra added, thick, leafy vegetable stews, melon seed stews, peanut stews etc.).
Smooth garri (known as lebu to the Yoruba) can also be mixed with pepper and other spicy ingredients. A small amount of warm water and palm oil is added and mixed with the hand to soften up. This type of garri is served with fried fish. It is also served with frejon on Good Friday.
[edit]Variations

In West Africa, there are two types; "white" and "yellow" garri. The yellow garri is prepared by frying with the addition of palm oil to give it a yellow colour; while white garri is fried without palm oil. In the Western parts of Africa, yellow garri is more sought after; hence it is more expensive than the white flavour.[citation needed]
Yellow and white garri are very common all over Nigeria. A variation of white garri exists, popularly known as Ijebu-garri. This variation is produced mainly by Yourubas of Ijebu origin, in Nigeria. A great many variations exist of both white and yellow garri.
In Ghana, garri is judged by its taste and grain size. The sweeter types with finer grains are more valued over sour, large grain varieties. Commercial food vendors on the other hand prefer, coarser grains with high starch content as this yields more quantity when soaked in water. In addition, buyers often look out for crispier grains when trying to determine its freshness.
Garri can be eaten without further cooking by placing in a bowl and adding cold water; Ijebu-garri is made to have finer grains, and a pleasantly sour taste, making it very suitable for consumption in this way. Sugar or honey is sometimes added to sweeten the taste. It can also be converted into a breakfast cereal by adding powdered milk, chunks of coconut, groundnuts and cashew nuts. Most garri, however, is cooked by adding to boiling water and stirring to make a stiff paste or porridge, which among the Igbos is known as utara, and among Yorubas as eba. Utara (or eba) is normally eaten with soups, of which different kinds are available. Garri produced in the east, south-east, and middle belt Nigeria are usually of coarser texture and bland in taste. As such, many people prefer to use this type for cooking as a dough to eat with stews (as it does not change the taste of the stew). Most parts of Africa where cassava is grown have an equivalent staple dish.

5 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Of Nairaland's Garri Peeps? by Nobody: 9:14am On Sep 05, 2012
Curious_city: Pathetic and childish. No thanks to unemployment and JAMB/University frustrations.

We lack debate/discussion culture, hence we either fight over a simple topic or turn it into a mess by tribal bigots or this later group(garri invaders).

Nah condition make crayfish bend...
Re: What Do You Think Of Nairaland's Garri Peeps? by texaco1: 9:16am On Sep 05, 2012
he who gives garri gives life .
"garri for life"
Re: What Do You Think Of Nairaland's Garri Peeps? by Nobody: 9:16am On Sep 05, 2012
BusHouse: Yes o, his delicacy is garri & kulikuli, he likes drinking it in hot afternoon.

Pics pls. grin
Re: What Do You Think Of Nairaland's Garri Peeps? by schorlbone(m): 9:16am On Sep 05, 2012
sylve11:

Wetin be 'it don't'? sad cool
no be miskate?
Re: What Do You Think Of Nairaland's Garri Peeps? by Nobody: 9:17am On Sep 05, 2012
CrazyMan: Give them time, they would fizzle out...even though that might take a while, I believe we would see their end.

Seun on the other hand, addressed the garri issue the wrong way.

His public statement about his hatred for the group and how personal he took the whole thing only made them stronger. Because most people felt he played the role of the Nigerian government towards that issue. (Ignoring more important issues on the forum, and laying emphasis on the less important ones)

But I believe that with time, they would fade...its not an issue...
. . . Well said! U r not Crazy Afterall, as your username suggests. . . . Rightly said!!
Re: What Do You Think Of Nairaland's Garri Peeps? by Sunbellar: 9:18am On Sep 05, 2012
Please how do i join the honourable GARRI club? Any form to fill or do i start by asking HOW DOES THIS AFFECT THE PRICE OF GARRI? Some body help me oooo! My ribs want crack with lots of laughter.
Re: What Do You Think Of Nairaland's Garri Peeps? by Chitexs250(m): 9:18am On Sep 05, 2012
Niseamaka:

I wonder how you came to the conclusion that garri is an essential commodity in every home and that mentioning it brings laughter to the hearts of many. This garri issue is the most irritating since i joined this forum. There is nothing hilarious about someone mentioning about the price of garri always in almost every thread.
just tell me and how does this your write up affects the price of Garri in the market mtcheeeeeew

1 Like

Re: What Do You Think Of Nairaland's Garri Peeps? by Emmy9ite(m): 9:19am On Sep 05, 2012
-Statistics show that garri has been mentioned in 98% of the comments here
-seun has been mentioned in 85.53% of the comments here.

3 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Of Nairaland's Garri Peeps? by Leobreezy(m): 9:22am On Sep 05, 2012
Niseamaka:

I beg to differ. Unless ur a sadist, then i guess ur free 2 say that. I bet u, if a poll were 2 be conducted 96% or more would be advocates of the garri crew(something Seun is afraid of). Being imperious will not solve anything it will only aggravate it.
Re: What Do You Think Of Nairaland's Garri Peeps? by Nobody: 9:23am On Sep 05, 2012
CrazyMan: Give them time, they would fizzle out...even though that might take a while, I believe we would see their end.

Seun on the other hand, addressed the garri issue the wrong way.

His public statement about his hatred for the group and how personal he took the whole thing only made them stronger. Because most people felt he played the role of the Nigerian government towards that issue. (Ignoring more important issues on the forum, and laying emphasis on the less important ones)

But I believe that with time, they would fade...its not an issue...
I never knew wise words could come from a Crazyman cheesy
Re: What Do You Think Of Nairaland's Garri Peeps? by Emmy9ite(m): 9:24am On Sep 05, 2012
#Fact. 40% of the garri activists have been banned on this thread alone. Most of em are using their second accounts

2 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Of Nairaland's Garri Peeps? by Chitexs250(m): 9:24am On Sep 05, 2012
Leobreezy: I beg to differ. Unless ur a sadist, then i guess ur free 2 say that. I bet u, if a poll were 2 be conducted 96% or more would be advocates of the garri crew(something Seun is afraid of). Being imperious will not solve anything it will only aggravate it.
Abeg tell them more
Re: What Do You Think Of Nairaland's Garri Peeps? by schorlbone(m): 9:25am On Sep 05, 2012
Even OBJ sef dey drink garri, grin

Seun abi na lie?
Re: What Do You Think Of Nairaland's Garri Peeps? by schorlbone(m): 9:27am On Sep 05, 2012
Emmy9ite: #Fact. 40% of the garri activists have been banned on this thread alone. Most of em are using their second accounts
na me be supervisor of all garri activist grin
My ban is yet to expire undecided

#FreeTeamGarium
Re: What Do You Think Of Nairaland's Garri Peeps? by Chitexs250(m): 9:28am On Sep 05, 2012
koastar:
I never knew wise words could come from a Crazyman cheesy
Me too oo I don't know craze man get sense like this self hahaha
Re: What Do You Think Of Nairaland's Garri Peeps? by OkikiOluwa1(m): 9:28am On Sep 05, 2012
Although garri people atimes derail sum threads, but I ll prefer 2 lmao while veiwing a thread derailed wt garri dan veiwing a thread full of tribalism & religious bigots. Seun can as well look in2 d tribal & religion fanatics on Nairaland. Ds s a major problem 4 Nigeria & now it s eating up on Nairaland.

1 Like

Re: What Do You Think Of Nairaland's Garri Peeps? by fiftynaira(m): 9:28am On Sep 05, 2012
If you are in favour of the ban in garri say I if you are not in favour say NIL......
Re: What Do You Think Of Nairaland's Garri Peeps? by guonno: 9:29am On Sep 05, 2012
The GARRI crew makes me angry. Any little thing GARRI, GARRI here GARRI there, GARRI GARRI GARRI all the way. Is it bc GARRI is cheap? But is GARRI cheap? GARRI as i know GARRI is nt cheap. Bt if obj was shown doin GARRI, i think GARRI is special. GARRI has come to stay in NL because seun made GARRI special in d eyes of GARRI loving NL. Very soon akpu and amala lovers will come up wit anti GARRI agenda, bt i knw GARRI wil prevail, bc GARRI is GARRI and GARRI is noting bt GARRI. I think we have no choice than to accept the GARRI ethnic group. LONG LIVE THE GARRI REPUBLIC, LONG LIVE GARRI, LONG LIVE HOT-WATER, LONG LIVE AKPU, LONG LIVE SEUN THE ENEMY OF GARRI.
Re: What Do You Think Of Nairaland's Garri Peeps? by gabriel74: 9:31am On Sep 05, 2012
saintfizzo: God punish garri haterz,ungarriculated topics s.uck,I'm proudly garrian*grinnin*

Hahahahahaha No mind them,

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (32) (Reply)

The Snake I Killed In My Room / Man Single-handedly Kills Huge Python In Bayelsa State, Shows Off Eggs / Big Snake Killed And Roasted In My Area (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.