Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,493 members, 7,843,501 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 06:55 AM

Is It Not Time For A Critical Inward Reflection - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is It Not Time For A Critical Inward Reflection (778 Views)

Cash Crunch Hits APC As Buhari Advises Party To Look Inward For Funding / Enugu Onitsha Expressway: A Reflection Of A People’s Nightmare / Is It Not Time To Totally Purge The Army Off Core-northerners? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Is It Not Time For A Critical Inward Reflection by HorusRa(m): 11:04pm On Jan 05, 2008
I am at odds with myself .As much as I want to accept and conform to the way things are, I carry a huge burden that I just can’t shake off. There is something so precious at stake here that must be restored in order to unveil the perfection in us. I am not an alarmist but we are facing a growing threat that can complicate and eradicate more of our true identity if care is not taken.

I do not want to change the world, it is simply not realistic. But I know that you can change an individual one at a time. I know that by doing that you can change the world because it will have a ripple effect that can spread to the whole. So it has been my resolve to see if I can change myself, those and things around for the better. And there is no tool that will be more effective than self awareness. For those that forgets their history is good as the forgotten. To build and survive the future we must understand who we are and our relationship with all that is around us.

For the past 500 years, we as a race have failed to achieve cohesion and collective surviving strategy; a weakness that has been continually exploited by those that are bent in keeping us subjected to their will. And at this 21st century I am still unable to identify any collective will or effort to change this. I cannot pretend that it is OK. It is definitely not! Sometimes I do wonder why races that live in harsh demanding environments where snows, typhoons, earthquakes and other natural hazards are frequent occurrence are more successful than those that live in forgiving lands. It seems to me that these factors have created a bond among them because each person sometimes will rely on another to survive. It is this I think that is lacking among my race. We don’t care about the next brother…

I have tried to believe that the dominant race on the face of Earth today being the Caucasians have the best interest of the other races in their heart. I have tried to genuinely believe that they want an equal world where everyone is treated with justice, equity and fairness, I have tried to convince myself that they really want a world where there is a fair and equal distribution of wealth, where there is justice for everyone but the more I look and observe their ways, action, words and thought pattern, the more I am incline to believe that even though they profess these noble ideals, it is actually not in anyway in their hearts. Whether this is the product of evolutionary human nature or the unintended result of fear, it being the most potent weapon, I don’t know but the fact remain that some and I mean a larger percentage within this group will rather see a future where a few dominates the rest in a master and servant relationship than see a world where everyone is equal.
It will be really naïve to believe that there are no conspiracies. In the political world, nothing happen by accident. Anything that happens is designed for a reason. It is the oldest trick in the book. That the way the elitist sustains and keeps their power. Those that have mastered this trick continue to use it to create, shape and invent history according to their needs. Each time there is a reason for me to believe that they have the best intentions towards us; there arises 20 strong reasons arguing for the contrary. When I think about the huge subsidies, the pittance they pay for what they takes away from Africa, the wars and hostilities they encourages, the seed of hatred and distrust they plant everywhere, the willingness to sell weapons of wars to anybody who have something they want, mines that blows apart innocent lives, their unwillingness to stop banks accepting funds from corrupt officials, their unwillingness to prosecute or sanction banks that encourages such, the impact on the climate of their lifestyle on the less developed countries, I am pretty convinced that their intentions towards us is everything else but benevolent.The truth is, do we need even their helping hand to become what we ought to be?

There is no excuse for failure. That is a fact! You fail because you want to. One thing inherent and profoundly great in humans is their ability to transform themselves and their environment to achieve a complete mastery that will enable them to function beyond mere existence. I am not in anyway making excuses for my race for our present state but I am consciously aware that there have been designs to keep us in “our place” as they call it. If history is any guide, this is apparent and I know also that nothing have been done to stop this. I believe that we on our own part have failed to tap an unseen latent force within us and I know that as soon as we can, we need to start doing something about it. That time is upon us to judge us; whether we can stand its test and continue to exist is up to us.

There is no other race blessed with the capabilities that we possess. There is just too much boundless energy within us; something that we have not been able to channel into the right path to accomplish our destiny. Instead this energy has been misdirected into negative and unfruitful venture which have sapping our strength. The truth is that the day our race will wake up from this deep slumber, the day we become aware of who we are, the day we form an unbreakable front against all that have arrayed themselves against us, that day will have an everlasting impact on the rest of humanity. It will lift mankind to a height unimaginable. It will be a dawn of the new man.

I am tired of the way that we are portrayed. I am sick of this pathetic picture of the black race that is constantly on the media and the consciousness of people. And I know that it can change if only we can work on it. I really don’t know if this is a part of grand scheme of things to influence the minds of people against us. But the tragic truth is that those images and stories are evidently true and that we seem to be striving hard to keep this image and confirm the stereotype.
I am not proud of being an instant suspect wherever I go or appear. I am not proud that a greater percentage of jailed inmates of many prisons are of my race. I am not proud of the anarchy in Somalia, the raping and plundering in Congo, the raging fire of HIV that have and continue to decimate the young and growing population of our race, I am not proud that our youths that continue to drop out of schools and chooses most times the life of crime, I am not proud of my generation calling themselves “niggers” “whores” “bitch”. And our continue disenchanment and apathy towards politics.

Little they do realize that “nigger” is the same word that our brothers who were hanged or lynched by the KKK [most of the them innocent men or when guilty because they whistle at a white lady] heard before they died with their genitals hanging by their mouths. It bleeds my heart that what we have given to humanity in the form of rap music have a huge toil on our young ones. These are lyrics with so much hate, so much anger that you need to go to our ‘hoods to see the impact to believe it. Yes! It has given to some of our brother’s huge unimaginable wealth but at what cost to us? I use to come across music from the earlier years where black music was so much beautiful that it plays in your mind over and over again and gives you the reason to believe. I don’t know what happened since then. It has gotten ugly.

I am not proud of what I saw in New Orleans when Katrina came calling last time. I am not proud that 20 years after the world started feeding Ethiopia the situation is worst than before and they continue to invest in the weapons of war and carnage. I am not proud what is going on in Darfur Sudan, in Niger, in Chad, in Lesotho, In Zimbabwe, in Niger Delta of Nigeria, in Haiti, the rising brutal crime rate in South Africa, the only country that has the potentials not to become like others but seems to be slipping into anarchy of some sort. I am not proud that we have not been able to make Africa a home where our kinsmen that we sold to the Arabs, British and Portuguese can kindle a small fire in their hearts and know that one day their ordeals will be over. Instead we have preserve same institutions that send head-hunters to kidnap and sell their fellow blacks to be raped, murdered, use like an animals of burden with death a welcome relief. I am not proud that our brothers continue to exploit and sell their fellow brothers down the river for a few dollars within and outside the shores of our continent. I am sick and tired of seeing young Africans fleeing our continent, seeking to offer their strength and capabilities to those that have no desire to treat them as equals. The tragedy is that this time we are willingly offering ourselves to be enslaved.

I know that there exists within us a strong capability to change the current image that we have come to be identify with. I know that we can achieve glory and respect far beyond expectations if only each one of us can just do a little bit more. I know that our kinsmen scattered all over the face of Earth can one day look at Africa and say “ Yes, that’s my home” and give them a reason to persevere. I know that if we can discuss and self-evaluate ourselves critically, we can. We can rise out of this ashes like a phoenix and become what the Cosmos destined for us. If we continue to fail, it is that we chose to fail. It will be unforgivable that my generation in their late 20s and early 30s should fail like our fathers. History will judge us harshly. As an individual it is within your power to save our race by changing the way you speak, think and act. If it has been destructive, now is the time to rebuild your respect for yourself and humanity at large. If we don’t, then our extinction as a race is not a matter of if, it is a matter of when.

(1) (Reply)

Efcc & The Anti Graft War After Ribadu Plus Top Contenders For His Job / American's Dilemna, Obama Or Another Republican? / How Best Should We Celebrate Our Independence?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.