Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,371 members, 7,819,329 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:31 PM

Anambra/Kogi Oil Wells - Ownership Still Unresolved - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Anambra/Kogi Oil Wells - Ownership Still Unresolved (17112 Views)

Tinubu Demands Oil Wells/Ministerial Slots From Buhari - National Daily / 4 killed, 7 injured in renewed clash over oil on Anambra/Kogi border / Owners Of Oil Wells In Nigeria Unveiled By Segun Adeniyi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Anambra/Kogi Oil Wells - Ownership Still Unresolved by PaulJohn1: 4:19am On Sep 06, 2012
The current dispute between Kogi and Anambra States over the ownership of an oil rich land may take more efforts to be resolved, LEADERSHIP's findings have revealed.

The dispute which follows President Goodluck Jonathan's declaration of Anambra as an oil producing state is currently generating controversy in neighbouring States of Kogi and Anambra.

However, LEADERSHIP investigations revealed that the matter will be subject to proper and thorough survey work to actually determine the rightful owners of the land.

Findings at the National Boundary Commission (NBC) revealed that the boundary between Anambra and Kogi States was last delineated in 1924 during the colonial era, and therefore calls for a fresh survey.

Officials at the Commission who preferred anonymity told our correspondent that the disputed land lies along the Niger valley.

"The matter is receiving full attention at the NBC. We are working towards resolving the dispute and soon the rightful owners will be determined. The issue is that the boundary between the states was last delineated in 1924.

"So a survey has to be carried out to determine the rightful owners of the land as the natural landmarks like hills and Iroko trees are not sufficient enough to determine such a sensitive matter especially now that oil is involved. You may find the hilltop, but not find the Iroko tree anymore," the official said.

The source added that another reason that makes the matter sensitive is the fact that it is a dispute between the South East and North Central, "so there is need for caution to be applied in handling the matter," the source added.

The source however, assured that just like the Akwa-Ibom/Cross River oil well dispute which was resolved amicably, the Kogi/Anambra dispute would also be amicably resolved, adding that there was no need for communities to engage themselves in acts of violence or take the law into their hands in laying claim to the land.

The argument by the Kogi people is that although the refinery is located in Aguleri Otu in Anambra East Local Government Area of Anambra State, the oil well which currently feeds the refinery is located in Odeke, in Ibaji Local Government Area of Kogi State, alleging that the oil producing status bestowed on Anambra State was wrong.

Meanwhile, Orient Petroleum Chairman, Chief Emeka Anyaoku, while speaking during the refinery commissioning ceremony had said the controversy over ownership of the oil deposits has been resolved adding that the bulk of the deposits are within Anambra territory, but Kogi contends that the area the company refers to as Anambra, is indeed within Kogi State.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201209050126.html
Re: Anambra/Kogi Oil Wells - Ownership Still Unresolved by PaulJohn1: 4:26am On Sep 06, 2012
FG better declare the two states oil producing states to avoid unnecessary clash.
It won't be a easy one since it involve two regions, not just two states like it is in S/South.

But all the land dispute wasn't relevant not until oil was discovered.
Everybody won chop oil money grin
Re: Anambra/Kogi Oil Wells - Ownership Still Unresolved by EkoIle1: 4:37am On Sep 06, 2012
Funny and greedy AGIPA people.

Build refinery inside ya land, but go steal oil to fuel refinery from another man's land...smh

1 Like

Re: Anambra/Kogi Oil Wells - Ownership Still Unresolved by PaulJohn1: 5:03am On Sep 06, 2012
Eko Ile: Funny and greedy AGIPA people.

Build refinery inside ya land, but go steal oil to fuel refinery from another man's land...smh

But Kogi was too slow to even let the refinery be commissioned before coming out, or wasn't there boundary before? undecided

They both better settle it amicably, by sharing it.
Re: Anambra/Kogi Oil Wells - Ownership Still Unresolved by Desola(f): 5:44am On Sep 06, 2012
Paul John:

But Kogi was too slow to even let the refinery be commissioned before coming out, or wasn't there boundary before? undecided

They both better settle it amicably, by sharing it.

you go wan share the tin if true true na your land e dey?
Re: Anambra/Kogi Oil Wells - Ownership Still Unresolved by Chanchit: 6:27am On Sep 06, 2012
Brb: #still sleeping#
Re: Anambra/Kogi Oil Wells - Ownership Still Unresolved by kunlekunle: 6:28am On Sep 06, 2012
Na GEJ syndrom they worry them, behaving like Abacha.
rather, the mistake of the 60s, oil in the south, refinery in the north, vengeance.
Re: Anambra/Kogi Oil Wells - Ownership Still Unresolved by okosodo: 6:35am On Sep 06, 2012
if they are discussing , they should know that kogi is not supposed to be a state

1 Like

Re: Anambra/Kogi Oil Wells - Ownership Still Unresolved by Nobody: 6:49am On Sep 06, 2012
Chai! Is it the oil that I was planning on
how to be a shareholder undecided
How much did they contribute to the oil discovery
talkmore of refinery. I think anambra should come together with Enugu (afterall they claim the boundary too) and strategy a benefit way on this! Nigeria civil war
is not over yet just that everybody is resting and building strength. With the way everyone is tired and wants to govern herself, this oil boundary will also be one of the remote cause of the second civil war come 2015. Kogi is one of the state with abokis and minor other groups and we all know in Nigeria ppl that controy such area.

OIL brought Nigeria together and no doubt it will divide it!

2 Likes

Re: Anambra/Kogi Oil Wells - Ownership Still Unresolved by PaulJohn1: 6:52am On Sep 06, 2012
Desola:

Never.
But they should for the sake of peace
Re: Anambra/Kogi Oil Wells - Ownership Still Unresolved by Nobody: 7:12am On Sep 06, 2012
They better re-address the issue and let peace reign, give to Kogites what rightfully belongs to Kogites and give to Anambrans what's theirs. Bèni! Hakeni! Piam!

1 Like

Re: Anambra/Kogi Oil Wells - Ownership Still Unresolved by AustineE1: 8:12am On Sep 06, 2012
....funny enough the oil wells where oil was struck in high quantity,are all located in Anambra,with Enugu having about 4% of it,Kogi about 5.5% and Edo 2.2%,while about 88% of it are in Anambra!no doubt the North is struggling by all means to feel amoung,by putting pressure on Kogi state to keep laying claims for political reasons!ordinarily Orient oil will have to give some compensatn to any adjourning state that shares some of those oil wells,according to there percentage contributn!if i may advice Kogi,Anambra is too powerful to be intimidated and more so if this drags on,Kogi will only end up infuriating the host communities of umuleri,Aguleri,Anam and it may spell doom to the kogi Neighbours!i still suggest the good relationship and neighbourliness shared btw the two state shld stand that way and then knowing that we have Igala's(both Anambra&Kogi) on two side of the divides,we must make sure we settle amicably!

9 Likes

Re: Anambra/Kogi Oil Wells - Ownership Still Unresolved by excondido(m): 8:28am On Sep 06, 2012
the boundary commision or whoever is saddled with the responsibilies of delineating state and regional boundaries should embark on a digital survey with the sophistication of surveying equipment that abound to surveyors.
A point to point GPS data for every state should be documented to avert the tensions such as this. hitherto boundary delineation is based on a crude and unimpressive state of landmark identification.

1 Like

Re: Anambra/Kogi Oil Wells - Ownership Still Unresolved by Kenistry(m): 8:44am On Sep 06, 2012
But kogi is even claimin dat dere's no oil in Anambra, hmmmm, deze ppl want real fight, dey shld think well b4 dey continue pursuing dis issue cos we no dey dull at al, if dey r nt careful, dey wil loose d 5.5% wey dey get

5 Likes

Re: Anambra/Kogi Oil Wells - Ownership Still Unresolved by sheyguy: 8:52am On Sep 06, 2012
Desola:

The story of two women fighting over a baby in the bible quickly comes to mind here . . . If i am to jugde from gestures made by both parties in the tussle, Kogi people appear to be right with their claims, because if Anambra truly owns the all of the oil then they shldn't be thinking about sharing it with anybody.
Re: Anambra/Kogi Oil Wells - Ownership Still Unresolved by PROUDIGBO(m): 9:52am On Sep 06, 2012
sheyguy:
The story of two women fighting over a baby in the bible quickly comes to mind here . . . If i am to jugde from gestures made by both parties in the tussle, Kogi people appear to be right with their claims, because if Anambra truly owns the all of the oil then they shldn't be thinking about sharing it with anybody.

^^^But of course Kogi would be right in your eyes, and not any 'okoro' state wink; your antagonism and dislike for anything Igbo is well documented, so no surprises there then.

The fact Orient has recognized that a lesser part of the oil block in question lies in Kogi state, and has accorded Kogi due recognition based on this, is in the eyes of sheyguy an indication that Kogi has more (or at least 50/50) right over said block.....pray, can you refer me to anywhere Anambra or Orient have said ALL the oil exploited belongs to Anambra?.....it's just like you arguing that because Chevron is exploiting resources from an oil block, that they are now claiming the land belongs to the United States of America.

Cheers.

3 Likes

Re: Anambra/Kogi Oil Wells - Ownership Still Unresolved by vicenzo(m): 10:10am On Sep 06, 2012
sheyguy:
anambra are the ones that want to save the region from war.cos they have a lot to lose.seeing as the oil in question belongs to them.kogi on the other hand has nothing to lose.hence they are taking a rigid stance that may plung the region to war. if you were as wise as solomon.u would easily know who is the rightful owner of oil in question.

1 Like

Re: Anambra/Kogi Oil Wells - Ownership Still Unresolved by Dandas: 10:44am On Sep 06, 2012
Abeg make Kogi go sit down.because oil is involved,must all state belong to oil producing.Let them be careful b4 Aguleri boys alone will descend on them.

6 Likes

Re: Anambra/Kogi Oil Wells - Ownership Still Unresolved by sheyguy: 10:57am On Sep 06, 2012
Proud Igbo, i cant understand that logic of yours oh. When i said ''all the oil'', i was reffering all the oil whose ownership was being disputed between both states.
Anyway why will Alaigbo want to share their presious oyel with kogi people? You still haven't aswer the question well enuf.
Re: Anambra/Kogi Oil Wells - Ownership Still Unresolved by Torch1(m): 11:15am On Sep 06, 2012
sheyguy:
See this Igbophobian! Why is it that hard for you to comprehend?
Show me a single quote where Anambra state government is claiming any land in Kogi state.
Orient refinery is a private oil company just like Chevron, Shell and co.. Go and read what Emeka Anyaoku said about Orient refinery having oil wells in Enugu, Kogi, Edo and Delta state not just in Anambra state.
You will die hating anything good about Igbo. Ewu Gambia!

8 Likes

Re: Anambra/Kogi Oil Wells - Ownership Still Unresolved by PaulJohn1: 11:22am On Sep 06, 2012
You people saying Kogi has 5.5 percent or whatever, can't you read what Emeka Anyaoku who is the orient petroleum chairman said?

....Meanwhile, Orient Petroleum Chairman, Chief Emeka Anyaoku, while speaking during the refinery commissioning ceremony had said the controversy over ownership of the oil deposits has been resolved adding that the bulk of the deposits are within Anambra territory, but Kogi contends that the area the company refers to as Anambra, is indeed within Kogi State.

1 Like

Re: Anambra/Kogi Oil Wells - Ownership Still Unresolved by Torch1(m): 11:39am On Sep 06, 2012
Paul John: You people saying Kogi has 5.5 percent or whatever, can't you read what Emeka Anyaoku who is the orient petroleum chairman said?

....Meanwhile, Orient Petroleum Chairman, Chief Emeka Anyaoku, while speaking during the refinery commissioning ceremony had said the controversy over ownership of the oil deposits has been resolved adding that the bulk of the deposits are within Anambra territory, but Kogi contends that the area the company refers to as Anambra, is indeed within Kogi State.

Reading the above in red color shows that Kogi is really looking for trouble..
O ji oso agbakwuru ogu amaghi na ogu bu onwu.

2 Likes

Re: Anambra/Kogi Oil Wells - Ownership Still Unresolved by nduchucks: 12:18pm On Sep 06, 2012
Austine.E:
....funny enough the oil wells where oil was struck in high quantity,are all located in Anambra,with Enugu having about 4% of it,Kogi about 5.5% and Edo 2.2%,while about 88% of it are in Anambra!no doubt the North is struggling by all means to feel amoung,by putting pressure on Kogi state to keep laying claims for political reasons!ordinarily Orient oil will have to give some compensatn to any adjourning state that shares some of those oil wells,according to there percentage contributn!if i may advice Kogi,Anambra is too powerful to be intimidated and more so if this drags on,Kogi will only end up infuriating the host communities of umuleri,Aguleri,Anam and it may spell doom to the kogi Neighbours!i still suggest the good relationship and neighbourliness shared btw the two state shld stand that way and then knowing that we have Igala's(both Anambra&Kogi) on two side of the divides,we must make sure we settle amicably!

It is not enough to throw percentages rigged in your favor around without providing any evidence of the accuracy of the numbers or the validity of the scientific methods used to obtain them.

Secondly, the area claimed to be in Anambra which supposedly contains the bulk of the reserves is claimed to actually be located in Kogi. See u 'Barawos' in court, hopefully in Kaduna or Abuja court. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Anambra/Kogi Oil Wells - Ownership Still Unresolved by tpia5: 12:25pm On Sep 06, 2012
Maps, please.

With accurate details.

@ topic

Shouldnt all these issues have been ironed out beforehand?

I've said i hope this wont be another bakassi situation.
Re: Anambra/Kogi Oil Wells - Ownership Still Unresolved by bashr8: 12:34pm On Sep 06, 2012
oil wells belong to orient petroleum whether its in kogi , anambra, enugu, enugu etc . that shell have oil wells in the niger delta does not mean the brithish own nigeri delta, all these people should stop mentioning anambra state. if you want to be declared an oil producing state, simply go to abuja where such politics are done.

Re: Anambra/Kogi Oil Wells - Ownership Still Unresolved by Antivirus92(m): 12:43pm On Sep 06, 2012
Do you guys know what will end this claims? Let's see if kogi will win in their claim. A good reasoning human being should have asked where kogi state was since the projected started since about more than ten years ago. Or do kogi suddenly realized that the place where the oil is,is their state after commissioning of the oil. Let the north keep pressurizing them.

1 Like

Re: Anambra/Kogi Oil Wells - Ownership Still Unresolved by hakanai(m): 12:59pm On Sep 06, 2012
Me think the oil largely belongs to Anambra. Considering the investment on the Igbo side of Anambra by orient.With that said the Kogi or Igala owners of there own oil fields should simply invest in a refinery shikenan!!! So that the resources under the ground in there territory is there own.Because left for me even in partnership,i think the Anambra people are investing more and deserve more claims.QED!!!! If the oil was left untapped there would have being no revenue or oyel to sale.
Orient and her partners put in more than a people who simply walk on the resources untapped and claim the earth.I am not dismissing the rights of the Kogi people on something from it but i feel they shouldn't expect too much especially since they are not the ones mining and spending there money/capital to tap this resource.

7 Likes

Re: Anambra/Kogi Oil Wells - Ownership Still Unresolved by Caseless: 1:03pm On Sep 06, 2012
NBC de 4kup! Do we anoda suvey b4 dis issue resolvd?I read in a paper whch made refernce 2 a survey cariedout by NBC nd it was clear d said land blng 2 kogi. Y anoda survey again? sumtin Fishy,i must say! Amambara go lose dz battle 4 sure cos noth tanda
Re: Anambra/Kogi Oil Wells - Ownership Still Unresolved by omayyi: 1:04pm On Sep 06, 2012
Antivirus92: Do you guys know what will end this claims? Let's see if kogi will win in their claim. A good reasoning human being should have asked where kogi state was since the projected started since about more than ten years ago. Or do kogi suddenly realized that the place where the oil is,is their state after commissioning of the oil. Let the north keep pressurizing them.
a good reasoning human being would also understand that the fact that an item has been lying in my territory without my knowledge does not make it any less my own. Walking into someone else's territory and discovering something does not make it yours-common sense.

Once again you Igbos have lived up to your reputation; helping others build their land. Lmao
Re: Anambra/Kogi Oil Wells - Ownership Still Unresolved by bashr8: 1:14pm On Sep 06, 2012
the oil wells are owned by orient refinery , whether its in kogi or anambra or enugu does not concern them , oil wells in nigeria have different boundries from state boundry , anambra state being smart bought large shares in the company so did rivers state and several other investors however they are still exploring those wells in kogi so no oil is being drilled from there yet . as for them demending to be declared oil producing state that fight is with aso rock abuja. no matter how many times you explain this to people they will never understand.

3 Likes

Re: Anambra/Kogi Oil Wells - Ownership Still Unresolved by Caseless: 1:16pm On Sep 06, 2012
NBC de 4kup! Do we nid anoda suvey b4 dis issue resolvd?I read in a paper whch made refernce 2 a survey cariedout by NBC nd it was clear d said land blng 2 kogi. Y anoda survey again? sumtin Fishy,i must say! Ibo go lose dz battle 4 sure cos noth tanda

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Deadly Roads In Ejigbo Under Construction(photos) / Benue Plans Another Mass Burial For Victims Of Herdsmen Killings On Friday / Petrol Subsidy Hits N1.69bn Daily

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.