Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,718 members, 7,809,725 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:58 PM

Is Eating Out Alone A Social Taboo? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Is Eating Out Alone A Social Taboo? (8481 Views)

Is Eating Out Cheaper Than Cooking At Home? / Share Your Worst Eating-out Experience / Is Eating Hot Dog The Same As . . .dog Meat? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Eating Out Alone A Social Taboo? by Nobody: 4:24pm On Sep 07, 2012
I didn't know what section to put this in, but i thought that since it relates to lifestyle and sociality, it would fit in here.

Personally, i love staying on my own and i enjoy doing this a great deal although there are times when i have friends over or go over to see them, its no big deal, i do have fun in any case.
However I have noticed that whenever i tell my friends that i went to an eatery alone, they seem to have a problem with it. They think it's wrong for me eat out by myself.
So i want to know your take on this. Is it unacceptable to eat alone in a restaurant?
Re: Is Eating Out Alone A Social Taboo? by Nobody: 4:33pm On Sep 07, 2012
lol. Your freinds must belong to that category of girls that find it abhorrent that a girl would spend her own money for her own pleasure. They probably are ashamed for you that you could/would not find a maga to drop for -of all things- a simple meal at the restaurant!

7 Likes

Re: Is Eating Out Alone A Social Taboo? by slimyem: 4:42pm On Sep 07, 2012
Its not a taboo abeg except people interprete it to be what its not.
I eat out alone ocassionally..and its not all that exicting.
Nothing compares to company IMO!

2 Likes

Re: Is Eating Out Alone A Social Taboo? by ArQueBusieR(m): 4:46pm On Sep 07, 2012
You worry too much. Just live your life.

9 Likes

Re: Is Eating Out Alone A Social Taboo? by rottenegg: 5:45pm On Sep 07, 2012
I don't see anything wrong with that. I think its part of your "independence" thats working.

1 Like

Re: Is Eating Out Alone A Social Taboo? by Nobody: 5:49pm On Sep 07, 2012
I love my "alone time" too. A lil too much than normal though, so I don't think it's weird @ all. I just say I'm having a date wiv d Holy spirit dat's all!

3 Likes

Re: Is Eating Out Alone A Social Taboo? by valenlabella(f): 7:09pm On Sep 07, 2012
I won't say it's a taboo or unacceptable; you're just enjoying your own company. However, I personally wouldn't feel comfortable eating out alone...each to their own I guess!

1 Like

Re: Is Eating Out Alone A Social Taboo? by Sijo01(f): 7:25pm On Sep 07, 2012
Eating/relaxing out alone is fun to me, because I have all the time to exhibit my bad table manners (pressing phone, laptop, watching film on a portable dvd, etc) without distractions from anybody.
Re: Is Eating Out Alone A Social Taboo? by femi4: 7:02am On Sep 08, 2012
Hunger never finish you, infact you go buy gala and lacasera chop alone before the food dey ready

1 Like

Re: Is Eating Out Alone A Social Taboo? by Dondav(m): 8:49am On Sep 08, 2012
I eat out alone all the time. No biggy a deal! wink
Re: Is Eating Out Alone A Social Taboo? by Flashaldrin(m): 8:55am On Sep 08, 2012
I can never eat alone, even if'd wanted to.
0% fun. I mean whats the motive behind it sef? If wanted to eat alone i'd just stay at home and save valuable time and money.
Re: Is Eating Out Alone A Social Taboo? by Dondav(m): 9:05am On Sep 08, 2012
Flashaldrin: I can never eat alone, even if'd wanted to.
0% fun. I mean whats the motive behind it sef? If wanted to eat alone i'd just stay at home and save valuable time and money.

Because the food tastes great, and it's better than the crap you cook yourself or eat at home! That's my reason... Think it through, it might be yours too.

1 Like

Re: Is Eating Out Alone A Social Taboo? by freecocoa(f): 9:11am On Sep 08, 2012
If only i can remember how many times i have eaten out alone, i do it quite often and prefer it sef.
Re: Is Eating Out Alone A Social Taboo? by Flashaldrin(m): 9:18am On Sep 08, 2012
Dondav:

Because the food tastes great, and it's better than the crap you cook yourself or eat at home! That's my reason... Think it through, it might be yours too.
the fun in eating for me is the company, not the food.
Personally, i dont like eating. I dont care if its fried rice or oil rice. They re all the same to me.
Re: Is Eating Out Alone A Social Taboo? by Dondav(m): 9:24am On Sep 08, 2012
Flashaldrin:
the fun in eating for me is the company, not the food.
Personally, i dont like eating. I dont care if its fried rice or oil rice. They re all the same to me.

You must be a ROBOT.

1 Like

Re: Is Eating Out Alone A Social Taboo? by Flashaldrin(m): 9:26am On Sep 08, 2012
Dondav:

You must be a ROBOT.
you dont get it. I eat because i need to.
Re: Is Eating Out Alone A Social Taboo? by Dondav(m): 9:29am On Sep 08, 2012
Flashaldrin:
you dont get it. I eat because i need to.

Egbon mi.. I understand! I was just kidding. But your comment sounded like you've got a Food Phobia.. "Whatever that means"
Re: Is Eating Out Alone A Social Taboo? by naijathings(m): 1:46pm On Sep 08, 2012
I do it sometimes when i just want to go out and chill by myself.. it is called ME time.

2 Likes

Re: Is Eating Out Alone A Social Taboo? by vislabraye(m): 1:46pm On Sep 08, 2012
Eating is the most basic thing any one can do without the fan fare. So if you go out shopping and hunger catches up with you. Won't you eat?

Watching a romantic movie alone might be a little atrane and no eating alone.
Re: Is Eating Out Alone A Social Taboo? by Gudintent: 1:52pm On Sep 08, 2012
preshuzpearl: I didn't know what section to put this in, but i thought that since it relates to lifestyle and sociality, it would fit in here.

Personally, i love staying on my own and i enjoy doing this a great deal although there are times when i have friends over or go over to see them, its no big deal, i do have fun in any case.
However I have noticed that whenever i tell my friends that i went to an eatery alone, they seem to have a problem with it. They think it's wrong for me eat out by myself.
So i want to know your take on this. Is it unacceptable to eat alone in a restaurant?

Next time you need the ladies room pls invite your friends to join you in the cubicle, let's see how many won't find that strange to say the least..

Point is its your life, ur company, u share with whom you want. They don't need to dictate how you should spend your quality time. It's YOUR time!

Handle your business how you want cool
Re: Is Eating Out Alone A Social Taboo? by Ayoobscom(m): 1:56pm On Sep 08, 2012
Whenever I'm eating with someone I bet I won't know how d food tastes until the midnight...all d talking just kill d taste and left me nodding..plus all the table manners

My best meals are eaten in 3 minutes without uttering a single word to anyone simple

6 Likes

Re: Is Eating Out Alone A Social Taboo? by musocious: 1:57pm On Sep 08, 2012
Eating out alone is my best moment to enjoy my money.... wink wink

1 Like

Re: Is Eating Out Alone A Social Taboo? by Nobody: 2:03pm On Sep 08, 2012
Sijo01: Eating/relaxing out alone is fun to me, because I have all the time to exhibit my bad table manners (pressing phone, laptop, watching film on a portable dvd, etc) without distractions from anybody.
wow so u take your dvd, and laptop with u each time u go to an eatery to eat?
grin grin
Re: Is Eating Out Alone A Social Taboo? by seunfuckgarri: 2:07pm On Sep 08, 2012
musocious: Eating out alone is my best moment to enjoy my money.... wink wink
STINGY.
Re: Is Eating Out Alone A Social Taboo? by gruppom: 2:24pm On Sep 08, 2012
If you are like me that went alone to silverbird cinema at 10am, rather than sit alone in a hotel room waiting for my husband to return( traveled with him, but he was working still). And then find yourself all alone in the cinema room. Would you call that sin?
Re: Is Eating Out Alone A Social Taboo? by ariyokunle: 2:30pm On Sep 08, 2012
Wat ever u do with ur time shld met d motive u've set bhind it. Most club ladies go out alone with d motive of creating a room for a male-nite friend(if undastd)- so make ur stand clear on a self-date;pls no need for insults. Wateva ur motive enjoy d single life u've got while it last.
Re: Is Eating Out Alone A Social Taboo? by misterh(m): 2:42pm On Sep 08, 2012
Eating out alone @ the moment & guess what? ... It's cool. Concentration guaranteed! *dips another morsel of amala into the egusi*
Re: Is Eating Out Alone A Social Taboo? by johnstar(m): 2:52pm On Sep 08, 2012
Stingy men sad sad

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Gala Is Made Of 20% Cassava Flour / Nigerian Scientist Produces ‘Richest Bread’ In The World / How To Make Nigeria Own Meat Pie

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.