Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,158 members, 7,842,331 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 06:25 AM

Obasanjo Is A Good Farmer But A Bad Economist - Sanusi - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo Is A Good Farmer But A Bad Economist - Sanusi (24606 Views)

Fulani Herdsmen Kill DELSU Staff And A Farmer / Obasanjo Is An Embarrassment To The Military - Nigeria Defence HQ / Nigerian First Lady Mrs Stella Obasanjo Is Dead (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obasanjo Is A Good Farmer But A Bad Economist - Sanusi by Nobody: 4:18pm On Sep 12, 2012
Onyenna: That one na their business..... Abeg, how do I create a tread?
Re: Obasanjo Is A Good Farmer But A Bad Economist - Sanusi by Nobody: 4:22pm On Sep 12, 2012
Onyenna: That one na their business..... Abeg, how do I create a tread?

Enter a farmland, look for cassava, uproot it, peel it and take it for grinding, fry it and you have a (the best) thread.
Re: Obasanjo Is A Good Farmer But A Bad Economist - Sanusi by Nobody: 4:25pm On Sep 12, 2012
Ola one: Obasanjo's an old fool, anyway.

He introduced 4 denominations yet he's talking shiit as usual, smh undecided

And here comes the young 4ul.

You cant even respect grey hair.
Re: Obasanjo Is A Good Farmer But A Bad Economist - Sanusi by akin23(m): 4:38pm On Sep 12, 2012
THE REAL ISSUE SHOULD BE THE ECONOMIC REALITY OF THIS POLICY WHICH FROM PAST EVENTS COINS INTRODUTION HAVE FAILED ND HIHGER DENOMINATION HAVE NOT INCREASE THE LIVING STANDARDS OF NIGERIA, SO THE NIGERIA ECONOMIC REALITY IS OVER THE YEARS THERE HAVE BEEN CONSTANT INCREASE IN COST OF GOODS ND SERVICES THUS WHERE MALLAM SANUSI GOT IS THOERY THAT NO INFLATION IS WRONG AND ALSO LIKE TO ASK IF UK AND USA ECONOMY ND MANNER OF SPENDING MONEY IS LIKE NIGERIA. MALLAM SHOULD FOCUS IS ENERGY ON CASHLESS POLICY. OR HOW MANY TIMES IS HIGHER DENOMINATION INTRODUCE IN THESE COUNTRIES? PLS DON'T TURU NIAJA TO ZIMBABWE OR NEXT COMING GOVT WILL GO TO 20000 NOTE!!!
Re: Obasanjo Is A Good Farmer But A Bad Economist - Sanusi by johnnyhandsom(m): 4:54pm On Sep 12, 2012
sanusi is a good butt-kisser but a bad economist
Re: Obasanjo Is A Good Farmer But A Bad Economist - Sanusi by johnnyhandsom(m): 4:59pm On Sep 12, 2012
Niseamaka: SEEMS I`M ONE OF THE FEW NAIRALANDERS THAT IS VERY
SUPPORTIVE OF THE CONTROVERSIAL INTRODUCTION OF
5000 NAIRA NOTES.I JUST CAN`T WAIT TO PUT 500K IN EACH OF
THE BACK POCKETS OF MY JEAN TROUSER.A MILLION BUCKS IN DA POCKET.

im sorry for you. itiboribo
Re: Obasanjo Is A Good Farmer But A Bad Economist - Sanusi by karmrash: 5:04pm On Sep 12, 2012
sanusi is in consistence wt his managing our economy. saying one issue today contradicting in d next day! and bsides there is fact we need to undstnd that moral and environmental context need to be justify in every policy! what is applicable in united state may nt be applicable in nigeria! introduction of 5000 naira note can tacle inflation provided the art of ostentation of citizen in their purchasing power is address properly because ds matter most in ds context! nigerian are nt value coins and we all known this. our economic mgr shud beware pls
Re: Obasanjo Is A Good Farmer But A Bad Economist - Sanusi by ibrak90(m): 5:21pm On Sep 12, 2012
I bet to disagree with sanusi if he his a good ecomomis itself... digging to sanusi educational history I found out he has economic in bachelor degree but fail to complete it master's in the same fild, I stand to be corrected he is not better than OBJ even as a farmer and amry gen.. I still don't know the benefit of this 5k madness... It simple GEJ and it's so called economic team has no plan and lack the basic idea of how to govern a country like Nigeria..

Peace !!!
Re: Obasanjo Is A Good Farmer But A Bad Economist - Sanusi by Genius100: 5:39pm On Sep 12, 2012
Invincible2k2: [b][/b]Since OBJ was being asked questions on Sanusi' reform, then the newscater is right to have assumed that he opposed the introduction of the new note. That is just what i feel

Chief, OBJ was not being asked a question. He was giving a speech
Re: Obasanjo Is A Good Farmer But A Bad Economist - Sanusi by musty1987(m): 7:06pm On Sep 12, 2012
sanusi! sanusi!! sanusi!!! how many tym did i call ur name embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Obasanjo Is A Good Farmer But A Bad Economist - Sanusi by sweetgala(m): 7:07pm On Sep 12, 2012
Which of ignorant mods removed my post in response to redsun. angry angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Is A Good Farmer But A Bad Economist - Sanusi by Nobody: 9:10pm On Sep 12, 2012
ACM10: Both of them are bad economists

Perfect summary!
Re: Obasanjo Is A Good Farmer But A Bad Economist - Sanusi by ZeusI: 10:10pm On Sep 12, 2012
Obasanjo acheived the introduction of telecommunication, created excess crude account, balanced political power(from seeming a sole patrimony of Northerners) and forced our youths to go into music(through his iron fist rule) thus: the success of Nigrian today's music industry. Now, what have our sudanese trained Islamic banking quack professor, naturally decorated with inane braggadocio to talk to anyone without respect; done for Nigeria as a sound Economist he is, eh?
Re: Obasanjo Is A Good Farmer But A Bad Economist - Sanusi by johnnewliffe(m): 10:11pm On Sep 12, 2012
Sanusi is a foolish economists and corrupt leader,they hv initiated him. Pls give us our old ''sanusi'' not dis useless ''lamido''.
Re: Obasanjo Is A Good Farmer But A Bad Economist - Sanusi by DTaj: 12:47am On Sep 13, 2012
Some of us deliberately post on Nairaland on very few occasions; the reason being that there is so much hateful venom, largely fuelled by ethno-religious sentiments on major national issues, even when such issues are so unrelated to ethnicity or religion. Also, many Nigerians are generally 'experts' in so many things on which they don't have any idea, or those in which they have the most little knowledge.
Every Nigerian is a football coach, they know the best playing position and they won't allow the coach to do his job. We are the 'best economists'; we won't allow the Minister of Finance, National Planning, CBN Governor, Chief Economic Adviser to the President, etc to do their job. We are the best 'structural experts'; we hardly allow engineers, builders, town planners, etc to do their job.
And again, we are so pathetically ethnicity-biased. It is even sad that the 'educated younger generation' is the worst culprit.
My posers:
1. Did you know that the CBN has a Board? The 11-man Board has 5 Executive Directors (Sanusi and his 4 Deputy Governors) and 6 Non-executive Directors, namely: Dr. Joshua Omuya (the renowned author), Haliru Mohammed, Stephen Oronsanye, Danladi Kifasi (Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Finance), Mr. Jonah Otunla (Accountant General of the Federation), and Prof. Samuel Olofin.
2. Did you know that there are seasoned professionals, Economists and related experts on the 28-man National Economic Management Team (NEMT) headed by President Jonathan which approved the new N5,000 note?
They include the Minister of Finance (Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala), who is the Coordinator; Chief Economic Adviser to the President, Prof. Nwanze Okidigbe; President Nigerian Economic Society, Dr. K.S Adeyemi; DG Budget Office, Dr. Bright Okogu; Minister of Trade, Dr. Aganga; former CEO of IBTC, Atedo Peterside; Minister of National Planning, Dr. Shamsideen Usman and former CBN Deputy Governor and CEO of NAL Bank; Minister of State for Finance and former Executive Director at First Bank, Dr. Yerima Ngama; DG Debt Management Office- DMO-Dr. Abraham Nwankwo?
3. Did you know that aside from their membership of the NEMT, the Chief Economic Adviser to the President, the Minister of Finance & Coordinating Minister of the Economy, the Minister of National Planning, all of whom are professional Economists (one of whom was a former bank CEO and Deputy Governor of the CBN), were ALL consulted by the President before the N5,000 note was approved by the President?
4. Did you know that this much vilified Sanusi is the most democratic CBN Governor there has ever been in recent years?
5. Did you know that Sanusi introduced an Annual 3-day full Retreat every December for the Bankers' Committee (members being all bank CEOs and CEOs of all discount houses) since 2009 when he took the reins?
6. Did you know that this same Bankers' Committee under the leadership of Sanusi organizes a full one-day Quarterly Retreat for the same people stated in (4) above?
7. Did you know that during these 2 events stated in (5) and (6) above, topical issues affecting the banking sector and the larger economy, and so many related issues such as power, agriculture, financial inclusion, manufacturing, economic empowerment, etc are discussed and actual deliverables and timelines are determined (and reviewed at the following session)?
8. Did you know that the regular Bankers’ Committee meeting that bankers had always known has never been so engaging and of serious impact as it is in the Sanusi era? Issues such as biometric identification for bank customers, shared services for banks to lower their cost of funds which could impact lending rates, financial inclusion, banking sustainability (and provisions/policies for guiding against environmental degradation, especially in oil and gas, agriculture, and power) are being well-driven (with timelines and deliverables).
9. With my experience with the last 4 CBN Governors, the CBN under Sanusi was the first to practically institutionalize 'Exposure Drafts' for major policy issues affecting the banking industry? 'Exposure Drafts' are drafts of major policies and regulations which are forwarded to all bank CEOs and other stakeholders for their comments and input before final release, as opposed to the old practice of 'rolling out' such regulations and ramming it through the throats of banks as done under previous Governors! Under Sanusi, discussions at these sessions are deep, incisive, and no holds-barred.
11. Under Sanusi, and never during the tenure of any past CBN Governor, the CBN meets ALL banks’ Chief Risk Officers (CROs) quarterly, with a view to preventing the mistakes of the recent past. These meetings are focused, frank, and of high impact.
10. I have sat at Bankers' Committee sessions indicated previously under past CBN Governors, and I can confidently state that Sanusi's handling of the sessions is far ahead of his predecessors in terms of content, approach, delivery, composure, mutual respect, and democracy (inclusiveness).
11. The Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) of the CBN has 11 members aside Sanusi, including cerebral and well-respected Economists such as Dr. Doyin Salami of the Lagos Business School. Other members include the 4 Deputy Governors (Dr. Sarah Alade, Dr. Kingsley Moghalu, Alh. Sulaiman Barau, and Mr. Tunde Lemo), Prof Sam Olofin, Prof. Abdulganiyu Garba (Prof. of Economics, ABU Zaria, and a foremost member of African Economic Research Consortium- AERC), Mr. Ochi Achinuwu, Mr. John Oshilaja (expert in Public Finance & Financial Markets Developments in Emerging Markets), Dr. Sheu Yahaya (Executive Director, Africa Development Bank- ADB), and Prof. Chibuike Uche (Prof. of Banking & Finance at University of Nigeria, Enugu Campus).
Salami, Oshilaja, Garba, Yahaya, and Uche are specifically charged with Macroeconomic Policy, Financial Markets, Monetary & Fiscal Policies, Developmental Economics, and Banking & Finance, respectively. The Salami, Garba, Olofin, Uche and Oshilaja I know will and can) never be stooges on the MPC!
In the past, former CBN Governors brought their agenda to MPC meetings and their decision was final. Under Sanusi, members argue and disagree with him on any item on the agenda. In fact, sometimes, Sanusi gets out-voted by other members, including his Deputy Governors!
And to cap it all, all MPC members (including Sanusi) personally vote on major decisions and also type their own input at the meeting and forward to the MPC Secretariat immediately after the meeting. This forms the major part of the MPC Communiqué which is usually fully published in the newspapers and on the CBN website the following morning after the MPC meeting! Nothing could be democratic.
12. No matter how much hatred certain people have for him, largely based on morbid ethnic considerations, well-informed professionals, especially among bankers and other stakeholders, will agree that HISTORY WILL BE KIND ON SANUSI, because he is competent, and focused. He may be vocal and controversial, as I am aware he had always been back from his days at King's College Lagos, where I was told he was the 'smallest' but 'most vocal' in class, but you cannot impugn his integrity, scholarship, firmness of thought, and professionalism.
Sanusi couldn’t have headed Risk Mgt at UBA as DGM, and become the Executive Director in charge of Risk Mgt and later GMD/CEO at First Bank, Nigeria’s biggest bank (which is clearly the market leader in the past and now), without being competent!
13. To appreciate Sanusi, let us take an objective course of study. Let us speak to several people who have worked with him at UBA and First Bank, and those who work with him currently. When some clowns talk about ethnicity and religious bigotry and Sanusi in the same breath, those who know him will simply have a hearty laughter. So many Nigerians, especially those who make ignorant remarks about Sanusi, do not know the man- AT ALL...
The spokesman of the Ekpo family stated when asked about the implication of the new N5,000 note: 'I am an Engineer, I am not an Economist; let the Economists discuss that issue as they have full grasp of the issues. All I know is that our family is grateful to Government for the honour on our grandmother'.
To rabid commentators, I have no special interest in this matter. I have met Sanusi only on an official capacity (as described above and in my comments elsewhere online) but I know people who have worked (and who still work) with him- most of whom are not Muslims, not Hausa-Fulani, not Nigerian.
Also, I am not Hausa-Fulani, and I am not a fan of the Federal Government!
The time to kick ethnic hatred from our hearts, especially from the hearts of our youths- the leaders of tomorrow- is NOW! Tribalism and mutual ethno-religious hatred is a major reason for where we are today as a nation…
God bless Nigeria!!!

2 Likes

Re: Obasanjo Is A Good Farmer But A Bad Economist - Sanusi by Nobody: 2:56am On Sep 13, 2012
Obasanjo is a good farmer and Sanusi is a good Imam
Re: Obasanjo Is A Good Farmer But A Bad Economist - Sanusi by Nobody: 6:29am On Sep 13, 2012
angry
Re: Obasanjo Is A Good Farmer But A Bad Economist - Sanusi by Nobody: 6:35am On Sep 13, 2012
why are the posts that I make that criticise Obj hidden? angry
Re: Obasanjo Is A Good Farmer But A Bad Economist - Sanusi by Nobody: 6:48am On Sep 13, 2012
angry
Re: Obasanjo Is A Good Farmer But A Bad Economist - Sanusi by IleIfe2(m): 6:50am On Sep 13, 2012
GenBuhari: why are the posts that I make that cricise Obj hidden? angry

that's because you are a douche-bag. spamming the thread. grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Is A Good Farmer But A Bad Economist - Sanusi by Nobody: 6:53am On Sep 13, 2012
[size=28pt]Obasanjo is a foolish, shameless, genocidal kleptomaniacal looter devoid of any patriotism or conscience[/size]

Re: Obasanjo Is A Good Farmer But A Bad Economist - Sanusi by Nobody: 7:06am On Sep 13, 2012
Please madam, you should stop being disrespectful.
Also giving out information that is relevant to a thread cannot be called spamming.
Ile-Ife:

that's because you are a douche-bag. spamming the thread. grin grin grin grin grin grin

Re: Obasanjo Is A Good Farmer But A Bad Economist - Sanusi by IleIfe2(m): 7:08am On Sep 13, 2012
GenBuhari: [size=28pt]Obasanjo is a foolish, shameless, genocidal kleptomaniacal looter devoid of any patriotism or conscience[/size]

[size=14pt]It was your uncles that ruined Nigerian airways. From Shehu Shagri To Muhamed Buhari to Ibrahim Babangida to Sani Abacha and Abdulsalam Abubakar. Obasanjo left a fleet of about 33 air-planes to Shehu Shagari and met non when he came back in 1999. So every northern leader nigeria has ever had is a foolish, shameless, genocidal kleptomaniacal looter devoid of any patriotism or conscience. Nigerians can attest to that.[/size]

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Is A Good Farmer But A Bad Economist - Sanusi by IleIfe2(m): 7:16am On Sep 13, 2012
[size=13pt]Can an Arab or Muslim leader hold hands with a black leader in public to show cordiality, even if it is to pretend? never, they'll rather french kiss their fellow arab than hold hands with an Abd (slave)[/size]

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Is A Good Farmer But A Bad Economist - Sanusi by IleIfe2(m): 7:17am On Sep 13, 2012
GenBuhari: Please madam, you should stop being disrespectful.
Also giving out information that is relevant to a thread cannot be called spamming.

[size=13pt]Go home and call your father Madame. Rago kawai! [/size]
Re: Obasanjo Is A Good Farmer But A Bad Economist - Sanusi by zegzyme(f): 9:11am On Sep 13, 2012
lucenzo: Sanusi may be right but attacking obj is sumtin I wouldn‘t do even if I am the president. At times silence is the best answer.
u r rite.
Re: Obasanjo Is A Good Farmer But A Bad Economist - Sanusi by redsun(m): 10:06am On Sep 13, 2012
Sanusi was wrong to say that obj is a good farmer because the money he uses to run his farm till date is blood money,he stole it from nigerian coffers and that can not in anyway make him a good farmer.Rather he should have said he is a good traitior/thief.
Re: Obasanjo Is A Good Farmer But A Bad Economist - Sanusi by tayuu: 11:38am On Sep 13, 2012
@ first on what significant is N5000 note better in our economy now,leave theory apart and apply common sense...
Re: Obasanjo Is A Good Farmer But A Bad Economist - Sanusi by Nobody: 11:55am On Sep 13, 2012
@Ile-Ife,
I called you madam because I mistook your name for somebody else.

Obasanjo did not leave behind 33 jets when he left office 1979, it was more like 16 jets and it is was under IBB's rule that most of our airplanes were siezed.

Approx 4 jets remained when Obasanjo returned in 1999, yet instead of building it up or maintaining like Abacha had done, corrupt and kleptomaniacal Obasanjo looted and squandered our national Airline until he had to shut it down in 2003.

Did you know he maintained 6 presidential jets and shut down Nigeria Airways with debt of £60m - about the price of one of his presidential jets angry

Obasanjo is a real disaster!!

Ile-Ife:

[size=14pt]It was your uncles that ruined Nigerian airways. From Shehu Shagri To Muhamed Buhari to Ibrahim Babangida to Sani Abacha and Abdulsalam Abubakar. Obasanjo left a fleet of about 33 air-planes to Shehu Shagari and met non when he came back in 1999. So every northern leader nigeria has ever had is a foolish, shameless, genocidal kleptomaniacal looter devoid of any patriotism or conscience. Nigerians can attest to that.[/size]

Re: Obasanjo Is A Good Farmer But A Bad Economist - Sanusi by Nobody: 12:06pm On Sep 13, 2012
[size=18pt]24th November 2003 BBC News
Obasanjo liquidates Nigeria Airways and retains fleet of Presidential Jets [/size]

After years of financial problems, the company went into liquidation in May with debts of $60m.

Property sell-off

Travel agencies and insurance firms were also featured in the report.

President Olusegun Obasanjo set up the inquiry in 2001 into the activities of the airline between 1983 and 1999.

The report was presented in May 2002 but the BBC's Sola Odunfa in Lagos says the president came under political pressure to reduce the scale of the sanctions or to protect some of those involved.

The commission investigated decisions by the top management, including the sale of Nigeria Airways House in London, reportedly for half of its value.

The inquiry recommended that some employees should be banned from public office for 10 years.

Transparency International, which campaigns against corruption, rates Nigeria as the second most corrupt country in the world after Bangladesh.

A new airline will be set up next month to replace Nigerian Airways, say reports.

https://www.nairaland.com/693700/ghana-must-go-pres-shagari/17

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Prof. Chinedu Nebo Nominated For A Ministerial Position / Abba Kyari: IPOB/ESN Are Celebrating His Exit With Crime - Joe Igbokwe / Onofiok Akpan-Luke Celebrates Birthday, Wedding Anniversary With Pretty Wife.PIC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.