Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,159 members, 7,818,527 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:57 PM

If We Are To Love Our Enemies, Are We Not To Love Satan? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / If We Are To Love Our Enemies, Are We Not To Love Satan? (16290 Views)

How To Love Your Enemies By Rev Martin Luther King Jr. / Is It Scriptural To Pray Against Our Enemies? / Church Of Satan Now Opened For All Willing To Join And May The Devil Give You Joy. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

If We Are To Love Our Enemies, Are We Not To Love Satan? by stepo707: 2:43pm On Sep 13, 2012
Matt 5:44 But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you.

It happens that satan happens to be our enemy.So guys what do you think?

6 Likes

Re: If We Are To Love Our Enemies, Are We Not To Love Satan? by Niflheim(m): 3:59pm On Sep 13, 2012
good question!!!

2 Likes

Re: If We Are To Love Our Enemies, Are We Not To Love Satan? by k2039: 4:03pm On Sep 13, 2012
God is talking about people

Satan is not a direct enemy, though. He is not for us to love or hate, but to avoid and ignore

However Satan is doomed for hell anyway,so it doesnt matter.

29 Likes

Re: If We Are To Love Our Enemies, Are We Not To Love Satan? by mikuz(m): 5:52pm On Sep 13, 2012
k2039: God is talking about people

Satan is not a direct enemy, though. He is not for us to love or hate, but to avoid and ignore

On point.
Re: If We Are To Love Our Enemies, Are We Not To Love Satan? by mikuz(m): 5:53pm On Sep 13, 2012

On point.
Re: If We Are To Love Our Enemies, Are We Not To Love Satan? by HumbledbYGrace(f): 9:25pm On Sep 13, 2012

We agree for once
Re: If We Are To Love Our Enemies, Are We Not To Love Satan? by k2039: 9:36pm On Sep 13, 2012
HumbledbYGrace: We agree for once
Lol
Re: If We Are To Love Our Enemies, Are We Not To Love Satan? by HumbledbYGrace(f): 9:47pm On Sep 13, 2012
k2039:
Lol
nice ur finally laughin

1 Like

Re: If We Are To Love Our Enemies, Are We Not To Love Satan? by EvilBrain1(m): 12:24am On Sep 14, 2012

It says love your enemies and pray for them. There is no special provisions for non-human enemies. It doesn't qualify the term enemies and therefore there are no exemptions. The bible repeatedly refers to the devil as the adversary and also does not qualify the term in any way so I don't know where you are getting this idea of the devil not being a direct enemy.

Even in religion and superstition, you still need to apply logic when you are analyzing your holy books. You can't just make up an explanation out of thin air every time there is some contradiction in your beliefs. This kind of faulty logic is the reason why atheists look down on you people. You don't seem to know how to think.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: If We Are To Love Our Enemies, Are We Not To Love Satan? by k2039: 12:30am On Sep 14, 2012
Evil Brain:

It says love your enemies and pray for them. There is no special provisions for non-human enemies. It doesn't qualify the term enemies and therefore there are no exemptions. The bible repeatedly refers to the devil as the adversary and also does not qualify the term in any way so I don't know where you are getting this idea of the devil not being a direct enemy.

Even in religion and superstition, you still need to apply logic when you are analyzing your holy books. You can't just make up an explanation out of thin air every time there is some contradiction in your beliefs. This kind of faulty logic is the reason why atheists look down on you people . You don't seem to know how to think.

Sounds to me like you not a christian(the bolded is the premise for my assumption).
I will just assume I didnt see your post.
It will be a waste of my precious time explaining to you(but think about this,praying for someone(devil) who is doomed for hell already sounds logical to you)

17 Likes

Re: If We Are To Love Our Enemies, Are We Not To Love Satan? by cychioma: 5:38am On Sep 14, 2012
HumbledbYGrace: We agree for once
verry correct.
Re: If We Are To Love Our Enemies, Are We Not To Love Satan? by HumbledbYGrace(f): 5:44am On Sep 14, 2012
cychioma: verry correct.
grin grin grin
Re: If We Are To Love Our Enemies, Are We Not To Love Satan? by Image123(m): 8:53am On Sep 14, 2012
context
Re: If We Are To Love Our Enemies, Are We Not To Love Satan? by Delafruita(m): 10:12am On Sep 14, 2012
k2039:

Sounds to me like you not a christian(the bolded is the premise for my assumption).
It will be a waste of my precious time explaining to you(but think about this,praying for someone(devil) who is doomed for hell already sounds logical to you)
how about the reality of the fact that humans are also doomed to hell.
Re: If We Are To Love Our Enemies, Are We Not To Love Satan? by EvilBrain1(m): 11:47am On Sep 14, 2012
k2039:

Whether or not I'm a Christian or not is irrelevant. You haven't been able to refute my post so my point stands and the question remains.

If we are supposed to love our enemies, are we not to love Satan? Try and come up with a better answer, but this time apply logic.

1 Like

Re: If We Are To Love Our Enemies, Are We Not To Love Satan? by Ayomivic(m): 1:35pm On Sep 14, 2012
Evil Brain:

Whether or not I'm a Christian or not is irrelevant. You haven't been able to refute my post so my point stands and the question remains.

If we are supposed to love our enemies, are we not to love Satan? Try and come up with a better answer, but this time apply logic.

1 Like

Re: If We Are To Love Our Enemies, Are We Not To Love Satan? by Jenwitemi(m): 1:39pm On Sep 14, 2012
Well, if your god can't manage to love his own enemy(even he having an enemy is an embarrassment to his supposed lofty devine status), why should you? Are you better than your god? Of course you are not. wink
stepo707: Matt 5:44 But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you.

1 Like

Re: If We Are To Love Our Enemies, Are We Not To Love Satan? by k2039: 2:07pm On Sep 14, 2012
Delafruita:
how about the reality of the fact that humans are also doomed to hell.

"The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance." 2 Peter 3:9.
All things are possible for God. (Matt. 19:26)

From the two verses above it must be possible for all men to be saved
But you have to understand that God has made man in His own image. (Gen. 1:27) Man has a rational mind, a heart to love with, and a free will with which to choose. So it is possible for man to choose to reject God's offer of saving grace.
"But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: Which were born, not of blood, NOR OF THE WILL OF THE FLESH, NOR OF THE WILL OF MAN, but of God." John 1:12-13

"I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life that you may live." Deuteronomy 30: 19.
God does not pre determine anyone to hell,He respects the free will that He has given us,we choose if we are going to hell or heaven.(even the devil was not pre determined to hell,he rebelled against God and he chose his path)

God does not EXEMPT us from the consequences of our own choices.

[s]how about the reality of the fact that humans are also doomed to hell[/s]
I am not doom for hell

18 Likes

Re: If We Are To Love Our Enemies, Are We Not To Love Satan? by Ubenedictus(m): 2:38pm On Sep 14, 2012
stepo707: Matt 5:44 But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you.

i know a xtian wu said he didnt hate satan, satan is d instrument God uses to test us. In essence satan has his purpose. Just dont follow him and praying for him is useless.

2 Likes

Re: If We Are To Love Our Enemies, Are We Not To Love Satan? by Ubenedictus(m): 2:45pm On Sep 14, 2012
k2039:

"The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance." 2 Peter 3:9.
All things are possible for God. (Matt. 19:26)

From the two verses above it must be possible for all men to be saved
But you have to understand that God has made man in His own image. (Gen. 1:27) Man has a rational mind, a heart to love with, and a free will with which to choose. So it is possible for man to choose to reject God's offer of saving grace.
"But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: Which were born, not of blood, NOR OF THE WILL OF THE FLESH, NOR OF THE WILL OF MAN, but of God." John 1:12-13

"I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life that you may live." Deuteronomy 30: 19.
God does not pre determine anyone to hell,He respects the free will that He has given us,we choose if we are going to hell or heaven.(even the devil was not pre determined to hell,he rebelled against God and he chose his path)

God does not EXEMPT us from the consequences of our own choices.

[s]how about the reality of the fact that humans are also doomed to hell[/s]
I am not doom for hell
wow! Atleast i totally agree with this. Have you been reading summa theologica or what? What u posted above is catholic teaching, attested to by scriptures, im pretty sure those wu adhere to calvinism on this topic wont like this
Re: If We Are To Love Our Enemies, Are We Not To Love Satan? by k2039: 3:03pm On Sep 14, 2012
Evil Brain:

Whether or not I'm a Christian or not is irrelevant.

I didnt want to respond to your post initialy because of the perversity of your own heart? You seek to condemn God to justify yourself.

Evil Brain: You haven't been able to refute my post so my point stands and the question remains.

Job 32:8 “But there is a spirit in man: and the inspiration of the Almighty giveth them understanding.”
You just dont take the bible out of context,you examine the context in which scriptures are written,not taking a verse out of isolation and connoting your own meaning to it

Matthew 5:44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you
Matthew 5:44 is an extention of sermon on the mount.
The Sermon on the Mount is, in short, a body of moral teaching characterized by an emphasis on sincere devotion to God, and a corresponding heartfelt benevolence toward others(human).
In the same verse, Jesus goes on to expand His list of hostiles: "Bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you."(it is obvious He was talking about human enemies).
You should read the whole sermon on the mount to understand the context of everything Jesus said not isolating one and connoting your bias meaning to it

In the context of Matthew 5, when Jesus said, "Love your enemies," He was discussing our relationship with our fellow man and not with Satan.

1 Peter 5:8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your [b]adversary [/b]the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour
I checked the dictionary now and realise adversary means opponent,but some other translations wrote 'your enemy the devil'.

Satan cant return to his place,so in anger he wants to take as many of God's people with him to hell.
It is worthy to note that even the devil cannot "make" anyone do anything. He can coerce, entice, and mislead a person to rebel against God, but cannot force anyone to do so.
The devil hates God and he wants everybody to join him, He does not want anybody to follow God,yes in that context he is our enemy.

15 Likes

Re: If We Are To Love Our Enemies, Are We Not To Love Satan? by Ayomivic(m): 3:09pm On Sep 14, 2012
Evil Brain:

The answer is this,if we love our enemies, we hate Satan and we destroy Satan's plan. The reason is that, we Christians have only one enemy who is Satan.What Satan did to be an enemy was that, he wants us to pertake in his punishment by drag us to hell. He achived this by decieving us to go against God's commandments so that God can reject us.

The person you call your enemies or enemy is just a victims of Satan whom Satan is using to dicieve and band another person. Satan does not love his victims, what he wants is to send them to hell but he would wants the blame to be on him or on another person.That is why he drags them to you to terminate them and if you did you become another victim. Remember what Satan did in garden of Eden. He used Serpen to deceive Adam and Eve and by doing that he turns serpent to enemy of Adam and Eve. When God punished them he did not punish serpent alone but he did punish Adam and Eve too but Satan went unpunished.
Take witches for instance, if you kill witch, you can't kill satan in her but you kill human being like you but Satan that was in her will go and torment another person. If you kill your enemy you have sent a soul to hell. Satan gains a soul to himself and God loses a soul to hell.

If we are praying for our enemies we are loosing them from the bandage of Satan. If we love them, we put Satan to shame. If we do good to them, is just as if we are preaching to them who know if one good you do to them will make them change from their evil way.
If we love and pray for our enemies ,we buy them chance to repent from their evil way.

I still want us to know that anybody that take a real christians as enemy has automatially pointed his sword against God for war. He said in bible touch not my anointed. God did not play with the lives of his people. He did not play with their lives and he did not want them to hate anybody or take revenge by themself. He did not wants them to kill intensionally.
To protect christians is God duity. Let us do our own part or duities and leave God to do his own part .Its a sin for us to intervene in the affair of God.

Bro, if we hate our enemies, we love Satan because that was what Satan wants, that was his plan but if we love our enemies ,we hate Satan because we have put shame on Satan and that was what God wants .May God help us.

7 Likes

Re: If We Are To Love Our Enemies, Are We Not To Love Satan? by k2039: 3:10pm On Sep 14, 2012
Ubenedictus: wow! Atleast i totally agree with this. Have you been reading summa theologica or what? What u posted above is catholic teaching, attested to by scriptures, im pretty sure those wu adhere to calvinism on this topic wont like this

Ubenedictus,take your time o.lol

I agree with certain Roman Catholic doctrine but not all.
I agree with the following;
God Became Man: The Incarnation
Christ Died for Us: The Redemption
Christ Rose From the Dead: The Resurrection
Christ Returned to His Father: The Ascension
Trinity
Just to name a few.
Re: If We Are To Love Our Enemies, Are We Not To Love Satan? by Ubenedictus(m): 5:42pm On Sep 14, 2012
k2039:

Ubenedictus,take your time o.lol

I agree with certain Roman Catholic doctrine but not all.
I agree with the following;
God Became Man: The Incarnation
Christ Died for Us: The Redemption
Christ Rose From the Dead: The Resurrection
Christ Returned to His Father: The Ascension
Trinity
Just to name a few.

lol, i though u probably had nothing with catholics. I had a friend wu said he believe Jesu d son of God was born but he didnt believe in d 'incarnation'. He said d birth of Jesus was biblical but d word 'incarnation' isnt in d bible. One of frosbel proof against d trinity is that it is believed by catholics. For most protestant anytin catholic is false. So yeah im surprised, im even more surprised becos most protestants agree with calvin and luther in subject involving freewill. No joke.
Re: If We Are To Love Our Enemies, Are We Not To Love Satan? by k2039: 6:13pm On Sep 14, 2012
Ubenedictus: lol, i though u probably had nothing with catholics. I had a friend wu said he believe Jesu d son of God was born but he didnt believe in d 'incarnation'. He said d birth of Jesus was biblical but d word 'incarnation' isnt in d bible. One of frosbel proof against d trinity is that it is believed by catholics. For most protestant anytin catholic is false. So yeah im surprised, im even more surprised becos most protestants agree with calvin and luther in subject involving freewill. No joke.

Dont mind frosbel,he disagrees with everything as long as it is part of the roman catholic doctrine.lol
Re: If We Are To Love Our Enemies, Are We Not To Love Satan? by Afam4eva(m): 1:02pm On Sep 21, 2012

You got it spot on.
Re: If We Are To Love Our Enemies, Are We Not To Love Satan? by Nobody: 1:03pm On Sep 21, 2012
yes, according to christian principles (though almost always contradicting each other) you are to love the imagined creature you all know as the devil.

3 Likes

Re: If We Are To Love Our Enemies, Are We Not To Love Satan? by tobechi74: 1:06pm On Sep 21, 2012
I lov satan. I love devil .i love lucifer. I love muhamed. I lov amadioha and sogo. I lov atheist.
Re: If We Are To Love Our Enemies, Are We Not To Love Satan? by nedu2000(m): 1:09pm On Sep 21, 2012
Evil Brain:

Even in religion and superstition, you still need to apply logic when you are analyzing your holy books. You can't just make up an explanation out of thin air every time there is some contradiction in your beliefs. This kind of faulty logic is the reason why atheists look down on you people. You don't seem to know how to think.
so how should the love for d devil b shown?is it by doing his bidding?.......doing dat would imply showing hatred 2 our fellow humans

2 Likes

Re: If We Are To Love Our Enemies, Are We Not To Love Satan? by DICKtator: 1:10pm On Sep 21, 2012
Also thought of this,
Heheheheh
Hahahahaha
Hohohohoho
grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: If We Are To Love Our Enemies, Are We Not To Love Satan? by emsquare(m): 1:10pm On Sep 21, 2012
Love him at your own peril!
Re: If We Are To Love Our Enemies, Are We Not To Love Satan? by Nobody: 1:12pm On Sep 21, 2012
and if foolish Yahweh is indeed God, when we die, he shall be forced to give account for his sin of unforgiveness...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The Role Of Churches In Solving Nigeria's Economic Challenges / Is It Possible To Change God's Will Through Prayer ? / Prophet Jeremiah Omoto Fufeyin Storms Abuja For Partners, Sons & Daughters Night

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.