Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,781 members, 7,820,732 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:25 PM

Lessons From The World's Ugliest Woman- Lizzie Velasquez - Literature (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Lessons From The World's Ugliest Woman- Lizzie Velasquez (52488 Views)

Six Lessons Of Life (fun) / Lessons From The 'world's Ugliest Woman': 'stop Staring And Start Learning' / Lessons From A Fish! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lessons From The World's Ugliest Woman- Lizzie Velasquez by ElPhenomenal(m): 7:25pm On Sep 16, 2012
Dis one still dey ok na,Dem no come nigeria come pick ugly girls?

2 Likes

Re: Lessons From The World's Ugliest Woman- Lizzie Velasquez by luluosas(m): 8:09pm On Sep 16, 2012
I tell you the truth, she is the 'most' beautiful lady on earth right now because, this is NATURE in action.
Those ugly musheshe artificial ladies, NL ladies inclusive, we are calling beautiful today are all 'artificial' beauty; artificial nails, artificial hair, artificial eyebrows, artificial lips, artificial face, artificial skin, artificial teeth etc. Haba! Waitin una want self?
Abeg, she is wonderfully made in her own way and thank God, she defeated her challenges and today, she is a success. Go on thou beautiful lady.
Re: Lessons From The World's Ugliest Woman- Lizzie Velasquez by fm7070: 8:15pm On Sep 16, 2012
Everything God created is beautiful
Re: Lessons From The World's Ugliest Woman- Lizzie Velasquez by LarryO1: 8:30pm On Sep 16, 2012
This woman is an embodiment of beauty, brains, courage and ordacity which is hard to say about d so-call pretties.
I bet she is still a virgin, how many of u girls of her age n below can say same!
Mennn! forget, she's got dignity n walks tall, fat or no fat! SHE IS AN ACHIEVER.

1 Like

Re: Lessons From The World's Ugliest Woman- Lizzie Velasquez by Kologie: 9:03pm On Sep 16, 2012
viewing her pic with a friend and he has this to say* omo, this girl go beat some naija girls hands down for beauty contest o! I for like marry am sef, if not for this lack of energy/strenght issue wey she get. I dey heavily endowed for the underside; she no go survive that kain thing grin
Re: Lessons From The World's Ugliest Woman- Lizzie Velasquez by Spy360(m): 10:06pm On Sep 16, 2012
Lizzie, i think am inlove with u grin
Re: Lessons From The World's Ugliest Woman- Lizzie Velasquez by sukarmaris: 10:12pm On Sep 16, 2012
she cant be the most urgliest in the world. Ok
Re: Lessons From The World's Ugliest Woman- Lizzie Velasquez by Clemzy16(m): 10:17pm On Sep 16, 2012
I feel so much for her. Despite her weakness, She's very courageous and even optimistic for a better future.
Re: Lessons From The World's Ugliest Woman- Lizzie Velasquez by sexylogan(m): 10:39pm On Sep 16, 2012
This woman is Beautiful compared to some women I've had the misfortune of seeing. I applaud her courage. She's an inspiration to anyone who has common sense.
Re: Lessons From The World's Ugliest Woman- Lizzie Velasquez by Mustay(m): 10:54pm On Sep 16, 2012
Americans just cannot resist anything occuring in their country as "world".

#NoOffenceToHerGoodWorks
Re: Lessons From The World's Ugliest Woman- Lizzie Velasquez by lekanladepo: 11:58pm On Sep 16, 2012
Ugly is not the end of the world.Good moral behaviour is what we ought to exhibit in our daily lives.
Re: Lessons From The World's Ugliest Woman- Lizzie Velasquez by Bams95: 1:18am On Sep 17, 2012
billante: Look how beautiful her hair is! Woow!
this is one of the best comments i av read in nairaland in a while
Re: Lessons From The World's Ugliest Woman- Lizzie Velasquez by Nellyd(f): 2:18am On Sep 17, 2012
none of God's creation is ugly. A lesson for us all: treat everybody right, no matter their look.
Re: Lessons From The World's Ugliest Woman- Lizzie Velasquez by richeyy(m): 3:24am On Sep 17, 2012
Lessons Learnt:

"You just have to change what you can, ask for help and pray about the rest."

"But I think I'm getting to the point where… instead of sitting by and watching people judge me, I'm starting to want to go up to these people and introduce myself or give them my card and say, 'Hi, I'm Lizzie. Maybe you should stop staring and start learning'."

"If they're willing to take that extra step they'll get to know the person you really are."

"Their judgements of me isn't who I am, and I'm not going to let these things define me."

"I didn't sink down to their level..., Instead, I got my revenge through my accomplishments and determination. In the battle between the 'World's Ugliest Woman' video vs. me, I think I won."

Let your success/accomplishments speak for you

1 Like

Re: Lessons From The World's Ugliest Woman- Lizzie Velasquez by harlos: 6:53am On Sep 17, 2012
KINGwax: why are u against your grandma?
does she look like urs cos this ain't mine.
Re: Lessons From The World's Ugliest Woman- Lizzie Velasquez by elvisimeh(m): 7:39am On Sep 17, 2012
If u ever get so lucky to live to be a 100yrs, u'd look dis way anyway. So "beauty" doesn't last, in d end ur skin wrinkles, ur "cute" bottom sags, u grow old n u die. Of wat gud is ur beauty then? D ultimate goal in life is to strive to leave a lasting legacy; gud tin d world's "ugliest" woman knows dat. When i see cases like dis, 1st dat comes to my mind is "wat did i eva do to get dis lucky?"
Re: Lessons From The World's Ugliest Woman- Lizzie Velasquez by Leegoguy(m): 9:00am On Sep 17, 2012
I see lots of people only look at her picture rather than learning from them,, i like this women, for the fact of her challengies and hurrible comments she get from her viewers, she never felt depress.. I agree *she really won*
Re: Lessons From The World's Ugliest Woman- Lizzie Velasquez by Nobody: 9:59am On Sep 17, 2012
U AIN'T UGLY DEAR!
U ARE GOD'S GIFT
Re: Lessons From The World's Ugliest Woman- Lizzie Velasquez by switnjl: 3:18pm On Sep 17, 2012
this woman has been created in the image of God. she was created for a purpose. to bring hope to the hopeless.

to me she is very beautiful.

because beauty is not what u look like but what u actually are on the inside.
Re: Lessons From The World's Ugliest Woman- Lizzie Velasquez by SkySpirit(m): 10:11am On Sep 18, 2012
I dont see what qualifies her as the world's ugliest woman. To me she's beautiful. I have seen far much more worse cases. There's a girl I used to see at Kasuwa in Kaduna in the late nineties up till 2009 that was a horror to stare at when she comes begging for alms. A lot of people dont like giving her any money because of her looks. In my view, nobody is completely ugly, she may be beautiful in other aspects of life.
Re: Lessons From The World's Ugliest Woman- Lizzie Velasquez by cutey08(f): 10:53am On Sep 18, 2012
Mehn!!!!!!!......#lipssealed#
Re: Lessons From The World's Ugliest Woman- Lizzie Velasquez by uzomore(m): 2:19pm On Sep 18, 2012
xynerise: I bet she is prettier than some girls in NL. grin
hahahahahaha,guy na true o o
Re: Lessons From The World's Ugliest Woman- Lizzie Velasquez by james1(m): 3:19pm On Sep 19, 2012
She ain't ugly.she is instead a virtuous woman.
Gifted.
Na so berem,freecocoa and co go de claim fine gals for NL and dem de fear to put their picture for their own profile.mschweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew!
Re: Lessons From The World's Ugliest Woman- Lizzie Velasquez by HumbledbYGrace(f): 11:35pm On Sep 20, 2012
A woman's beauty comes from deep within.God that woman has accomplished so much because of ur Grace.

He created us all for a purpose and Lizzie is doing hers are u?Living up to God's way?fulfilling ur creators purpose?
Re: Lessons From The World's Ugliest Woman- Lizzie Velasquez by indians: 1:27pm On Sep 27, 2012
GMacbeth: Op i think you are going the wrong direction by calling God's creation ugly
Ya i totally agree with the writer here as no one of gods creation is ugly as in a small example which is as follows:
The caterpillar is considered the most ugly creature on the earth because of its appearance, but when it dies it gives the world the most beautiful thing in the world of dresswear and that is silk........

Isnt it friends?

so if God has made her like that, we must just pray to God that he might get her to Normal and may no one else in the world ever ever gets this condition even in their dreams....

1 Like

Re: Lessons From The World's Ugliest Woman- Lizzie Velasquez by Nobody: 7:42am On Jan 12, 2013
god! is dat a smile or does her upper lip seem attached to the teeth gums.
Re: Lessons From The World's Ugliest Woman- Lizzie Velasquez by Alphafrank: 1:40pm On Dec 04, 2013
[quote author=ebamma2]see fine girl,abeg make una give me her number i wan marry am......funny guy,because she don mak money u wan cm marry am....chai naija boyz too lyk money..
Re: Lessons From The World's Ugliest Woman- Lizzie Velasquez by Nobody: 11:29pm On Oct 19, 2014
donsax:
When she was in high school, Lizzie Velasquez was dubbed "The World's Ugliest Woman" in an 8-second-long YouTube video. Born with a medical condition so rare that just two other people in the world are thought to have it, Velasquez has no adipose tissue and cannot create muscle, store energy, or gain weight. She has zero percent body fat and weighs just 60 pounds.

In the comments on YouTube, viewers called her "it" and "monster" and encouraged her to kill herself. Instead, Velasquez set four goals: To become a motivational speaker, to publish a book, to graduate college, and to build a family and a career for herself.

Related: Bullied into plastic surgery?

Now 23 years old, she's been a motivational speaker for seven years and has given more than 200 workshops on embracing uniqueness, dealing with bullies, and overcoming obstacles. She's a senior majoring in Communications at Texas State University in San Marcos, where she lives with her best friend. Her first book, "Lizzie Beautiful," came out in 2010 and her second, "Be Beautiful, Be You," was published earlier this month.

"The stares are what I'm really dealing with in public right now," she told Dr. Drew Pinsky in an interview on CNN's Headline News this week. "But I think I'm getting to the point where… instead of sitting by and watching people judge me, I'm starting to want to go up to these people and introduce myself or give them my card and say, 'Hi, I'm Lizzie. Maybe you should stop staring and start learning'."

Velasquez was born in San Antonio, Texas; she was four weeks premature and weighed just 2 pounds, 10 ounces. "They told us they had no idea how she could have survived," her mother, Rita, 45, told the Daily Mail. "We had to buy doll's clothes from the toy store because baby clothes were too big." Doctors warned Rita and her husband, Lupe, that their oldest child would never be able to walk or talk, let alone live a normal life. (Her two younger siblings were not affected by the syndrome.)

Related: Why women need some fat to stay healthy

Instead, she has thrived. Her internal organs, brain, and bones developed normally, though her body is tiny. Since she has no fatty tissue in which to store nutrients, she has to eat every 15 to 20 minutes to have enough energy to get through the day. One brown eye started clouding over when she was 4 years old, and now she's blind in that eye and has only limited sight in the other.

"Some days life doesn't make sense," she writes in "Be Beautiful, Be You." "You just have to change what you can, ask for help and pray about the rest."

She notes her triumphs and posts inspirational messages on Tumblr, and says that she's learned to embrace the things that make her unique. Instead of trying to retaliate against people who have made her feel badly, she sets goals for herself and pushes herself to succeed in spite of the haters. She's even reclaimed YouTube, video blogging about everything from bullying to hair-styling tips to staying positive.

"I feel really glad that I don't look like the celebrities out there that are so beautiful," she told Dr. Drew. "There's a lot of stereotypes attached to that." Not looking like a supermodel "gives people the opportunity to know you personally," she explains. "If they're willing to take that extra step they'll get to know the person you really are."

Of course, the horrible comments left on that old YouTube video stung (the video has since been removed, but Velasquez says she read every single comment). Now, she says, she understands that they're "just words."

"I'm human, and of course these things are going to hurt," she said. "Their judgements of me isn't who I am, and I'm not going to let these things define me."

"I didn't sink down to their level," she said in a follow-up video on YouTube last year. "Instead, I got my revenge through my accomplishments and determination. In the battle between the 'World's Ugliest Woman' video vs. me, I think I won."

http://shine.yahoo.com/beauty/lessons-worlds-ugliest-woman-stop-staring-start-learning-184400606.html
wow...she's beautiful!
Re: Lessons From The World's Ugliest Woman- Lizzie Velasquez by kally90(f): 9:56pm On Aug 14, 2016
She is Awesome.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

THE BACHELORS.(Sex was only the beginning)-18+ / Chimamanda Adichie Poses In Her Hometown In Abba, Anambra State / Game Of Pleasure(18+)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.