Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,727 members, 7,831,307 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 04:51 PM

How Many Jobs Can Youwin! Awardees Create For The 33 Million Jobless Nigerians? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Many Jobs Can Youwin! Awardees Create For The 33 Million Jobless Nigerians? (943 Views)

Kaduna Refinery To Save Nigeria $5.33 Million Daily / Oyo Governorship Election Results From 27 Of The 33 LGA's / Nigeria Consumes 33 Million Litres Of Fuel Daily: Check Out This Calculation Pls (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Many Jobs Can Youwin! Awardees Create For The 33 Million Jobless Nigerians? by Orikinla(m): 11:52am On Sep 14, 2012
It is frightening that over 33 million Nigerians are jobless according to the. National Bureau of Statistics (NBS).

The fears of the uncertain future of these multitudes of unemployed Nigerians who are mostly youths should trouble the mind of every concerned citizen of Nigeria, because they are easy recruits for the gangs of armed robbers, drug and human traffickers, kidnappers, prostitutes, terrorists and other dysfunctional humans of the lunatic fringe destroying lives and properties in the country.

Al Jazeera also raised the dangers of millions of jobless Nigerians in Nigeria: the young and the jobless: Nigeria grapples with increasing unemployment and a growing population.

The administration of President Goodluck Jonathan launched the laudable Youth Enterprise with Innovation in Nigeria (YouWiN) competition aimed at job creation by encouraging and supporting aspiring entrepreneurial youth in Nigeria to develop and execute business ideas. But how many jobs can the lucky 1,200 YouWiN! Awardees create after they were celebrated at the Presidential Villa on April 12, 2012?
I doubt if they can even create up 500, 000 jobs within a year?
The government should publish a list of all their startups and the numbers of jobs they can create to address the emergency of the estimated 33 million jobless hungry and angry Nigerians who are threatening the peace and stability of the rest of the citizens.

Read the full report and view the videos on http://www.nigeriansreport.com/2012/09/how-to-create-millions-of-jobs-for.html

Re: How Many Jobs Can Youwin! Awardees Create For The 33 Million Jobless Nigerians? by diesel86: 12:39pm On Sep 14, 2012
I doubt if each of the beneficiaries can employ more than 10 people directly, reason is that they are mostly involved in SMES.
The only way nigerians can have gainful employment is if the goverment provides the enabling enviroment for buisness to grow i.e. Providing necessary infrastructure like power, roads, accesibility to funds at low interest rate e.t.c.
Re: How Many Jobs Can Youwin! Awardees Create For The 33 Million Jobless Nigerians? by PapaBrowne(m): 1:33pm On Sep 14, 2012
Lets face facts. It is not directly the government's responsibility to employ people. It is the private sector who employs. The government creates an enabling environment for the private sector to take advantage and create employment.

Truth is the governments(Feds, State & LGs) keep failing in this regard, but the worst part is the people(private citizens) also fail woefully in their own responsibilities.

We love to cut corners. We prefer foreign goods. We rather buy cars than start businesses.

I keep saying this- every jeep you see is the equivalent of a brand new business with capacity to employ at least 20 people.
The 100 million naira plots of land in Lekki and the likes are capable of starting very productive industries.

Until we choose to stop looking to get rich quick and and focus on building wealth as against acquiring it, only then would we start seeing more jobs in thge economy!!
Re: How Many Jobs Can Youwin! Awardees Create For The 33 Million Jobless Nigerians? by sheyguy: 1:50pm On Sep 14, 2012
The YouWIN scheme is a plus to the You who win in the final round. Forget all those sweet talk . . .
Re: How Many Jobs Can Youwin! Awardees Create For The 33 Million Jobless Nigerians? by SkyBlue1: 2:04pm On Sep 14, 2012
PapaBrowne: Lets face facts. It is not directly the government's responsibility to employ people. It is the private sector who employs. The government creates an enabling environment for the private sector to take advantage and create employment.

Truth is the governments(Feds, State & LGs) keep failing in this regard, but the worst part is the people(private citizens) also fail woefully in their own responsibilities.

We love to cut corners. We prefer foreign goods. We rather buy cars than start businesses.

I keep saying this- every jeep you see is the equivalent of a brand new business with capacity to employ at least 20 people.
The 100 million naira plots of land in Lekki and the likes are capable of starting very productive industries.

Until we choose to stop looking to get rich quick and and focus on building wealth as against acquiring it, only then would we start seeing more jobs in thge economy!!

The ammount of capital flight that occurs one way or the other in Nigeria is shocking. That is why I am quite strongly in support of government passing laws that put an imperative on government functions at all levels (federal to local government) sourcing locally produced/manufactured first before looking elsewhere. If we are going to spend Nigerian money on buying cars for government envoys and whatnot, we might as well spend the money IN Nigeria. That I believe is a really good start. We need more local content laws since government accounts for huge spending, and hopefully the private sector and citizens will follow suit.

With regards to Nigerians taking more initiative to start businesses. There is a strong point there especially when it comes to long term thinking required to grow actual sucessful and socially responsible businesses and not just get rich ventures. But there are some important things to take into account, for instance the availability of capital fundings for ordinary citizens. There was some sort of thing started in Lagos some years ago that lent money to people to start businesses. More such schemes and avenues need to be made available. (and Nigerians need to start learning about things like business plans that sell ideas and potentials based on research and facts not just 'I know it will make money')

1 Like

Re: How Many Jobs Can Youwin! Awardees Create For The 33 Million Jobless Nigerians? by smsgrouper: 4:48pm On Sep 24, 2012
As a matter of fact, I doubt if most of these awardees would create any job. Some might have even see fund to travel out of the country. Another thing is most jobs should be created by the private sector and not jonathan and his cabinet. Jonathan is not an entrepreneur. Govt can only provide the enabling environment. Youwin should have being organise in a way that participating businsesses should be judged by the public and not by some set of people, analysing if such businesses have solve problems, have potential customers and most important create jobs before be given any grant.

Well I'm working towards this kind of program. Any interested person can join me in the pursuit of creating real jobs.

(1) (Reply)

Lawyer Falls For Nigerian E-mail Scam, Sues Wells Fargo / Ask Your Governor: How They Shared N713bn In October 2012 / Don’t We Need New Nigerian Defense Academies In Other Regions?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.