Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,495 members, 7,819,807 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:07 AM

Nigeria: Fed Govt Forecloses Review Of Onshore-offshore Dichotomy - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria: Fed Govt Forecloses Review Of Onshore-offshore Dichotomy (2234 Views)

Buhari Willing To End Bsc, HND Dichotomy – JAMB / Onshore Oil Fields They Don't Want You To See / FG Worried Over Renewed Onshore/offshore Dichotomy Debate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria: Fed Govt Forecloses Review Of Onshore-offshore Dichotomy by Onlytruth(m): 3:18pm On Sep 14, 2012
Nigeria: Fed Govt Forecloses Review of Onshore-Offshore Dichotomy

Agitators for a review of the onshore-offshore oil dichotomy may have lost the battle, even before the campaign gathers steam as the[b] Federal Government yesterday ruled out revisiting the issue.[/b]

Attorney General of the Federation (AGF) and Minister of Justice, Mr. Mohammed Bello Adoke, stated the government's position on the issue, which has already pitted the North against the South, at a valedictory session in honour of Justice Francis Fedode Tabai at the Supreme Court, Abuja.

He warned politicians and legal practitioners to avoid overheating the polity through the current debate on the need or otherwise to review the onshore-offshore oil dichotomy, which partly forms the basis for the allocation of derivation proceeds from the Federation Account.

His warning came against the backdrop of the clamour for a review of the onshore-offshore oil dichotomy by Northern governors who hold the view that the formula has reduced the distributable funds from the Federation Account to all tiers of government.

However, their counterparts from the South-south and people of the oil-producing littoral states have rejected their position and even demanded that the derivation formula be raised from the current 13 per cent to 50 per cent.

Adoke said the debate, which is being elevated to an urgent national matter, with all the potential to generate acrimonious wrangling within the polity, and being made to look as if it was new, had been determined by the Supreme Court long time ago.

He urged politicians and legal practitioners to respect the sanctity and constitutional role of the Supreme Court as the apex court and end the debate on the abrogation of the onshore-offshore oil dichotomy.

He said: "It is pertinent to remind all interest groups in the matter that it is too early in the day to forget that the esteemed court, in the matter of A.G. Adamawa & 21 Ors v. A.G. Federation & 8 Ors (2005) NWLR (Part 958) 581 was invited to rule on the constitutionality or otherwise of the Allocation of Revenue (Abolition of Dichotomy in the Application of the principle of Derivation) Act 2004.

"The court, in a well-reasoned judgment, after benefitting from the submissions of some of our country's finest legal minds, reached the reasoned-conclusion that the Act was not in conflict with the 1999 Constitution and was indeed properly made by the National Assembly to place the implementation of Section 162 of the constitution on a more certain and predictable basis.

"In the light of the unanimous position of the Supreme Court on this issue, expressed since 2005, it behoves on us all to promote the sanctity of our judicial system by recognising that the pronouncement of this court should neither be treated with levity nor be subjected to undue politicisation in the name of politics or the pursuit of particular interests."

Adoke, however, noted that it is only a credible and truly independent judiciary that can best guarantee political stability and social cohesion in the country.

In his speech, President, Nigerian Bar Association (NBA), Okey Wali (SAN), called for the repeal of the provisions of Section 292 (a) of the 1999 Constitution that prevented retired judges and other judicial officers from appearing in courts and tribunals in Nigeria.

He said: "The regulatory bar is also in the Rules of Professional Conduct. These institutional restrictions have the odious odour of covenants in restraint of trade. They constitute denials of former judges' fundamental right to freedom of private enterprise.

"By its very nature, the discipline of law is very attractive and endearing to lawyers and the profession of law is often embarked upon more from passion than for prosperity.

"You all know how thrilling this business of law can be. This passion does not leave one on the attainment of age 65 or 70, or on the retirement from the bench, or ever."

In his valedictory speech, Justice Tabai also called on the Federal Government to ensure that the judgments of courts are complied with and implemented to promote the rule of law.
http://allafrica.com/stories/201209140542.html
Re: Nigeria: Fed Govt Forecloses Review Of Onshore-offshore Dichotomy by Onlytruth(m): 3:30pm On Sep 14, 2012
Alright, here is my take.

The current FG forecloses revisiting the abrogation of Onshore/Offshore dichotomy in derivation; what this tells me is that it is a POLITICAL situation, not a LEGAL situation per se, because the legal institution in Nigeria (and elsewhere round the world) always follows political decisions. In other words, another president in the future can support revisiting this issue and "inspire" (a la Nigerian way) the national assembly to amend relevant sections of the constitution to make this happen. In other words, this thing is not over by a long shot.

Now, my own concern is that I see that Ndigbo support this policy alongside other southerners. What I don't understand is WHY we should support it, especially while some people in the south care less about what we want (no matter how fair they may be).
All I know for now, is that states in SE can do with more federal allocations, and I don't see why we should not go for those allocations (no matter how small).

Unless someone (in SE) convinces me otherwise, I am about to throw this thing under the bus, because it does not cover MY interests in the Nigerian jungle.
As for those who say that it can disintegrate the Nigerian nation, I say you are the greatest liars on earth! You know I say the truth!
So please spare me that crap talk. Thanks in advance!

So Umu Igbo, why should we continue to support this thing politically?

Signed

Onlytruth. cool
Re: Nigeria: Fed Govt Forecloses Review Of Onshore-offshore Dichotomy by Onlytruth(m): 3:38pm On Sep 14, 2012
Umu Igbo, why should we continue to support this thing politically? What is in it for us in Nigeria? What are we getting in return?
Please enlighten me, else, this thing is under my bus!

I will be back some hours later. cool
Re: Nigeria: Fed Govt Forecloses Review Of Onshore-offshore Dichotomy by nduchucks: 4:03pm On Sep 14, 2012
Onlytruth: Alright, here is my take.

The current FG forecloses revisiting the abrogation of Onshore/Offshore dichotomy in derivation; what this tells me is that it is a POLITICAL situation, not a LEGAL situation per se, because the legal institution in Nigeria (and elsewhere round the world) always follows political decisions. In other words, another president in the future can support revisiting this issue and "inspire" (a la Nigerian way) the national assembly to amend relevant sections of the constitution to make this happen. In other words, this thing is not over by a long shot.

Now, my own concern is that I see that Ndigbo support this policy alongside other southerners. What I don't understand is WHY we should support it, especially while some people in the south care less about what we want (no matter how fair they may be).
All I know for now, is that states in SE can do with more federal allocations, and I don't see why we should not go for those allocations (no matter how small).

Unless someone (in SE) convinces me otherwise, I am about to throw this thing under the bus, because it does not cover MY interests in the Nigerian jungle.
As for those who say that it can disintegrate the Nigerian nation, I say you are the greatest liars on earth! You know I say the truth!
So please spare me that crap talk. Thanks in advance!

So Umu Igbo, why should we continue to support this thing politically?

Signed

Onlytruth. cool

Look at this beared Ewu who wants to be and look like Ikemba by all means.I will not say too much,but for now, I will use one of Ikemba's favourite phrases and say to you: Gooood morning!! olodo

Every sensible person knows that the Onshore-offshore scheme, as currently constituted, is discriminatory, illegal, and unconstitutional.
Re: Nigeria: Fed Govt Forecloses Review Of Onshore-offshore Dichotomy by taharqa: 4:22pm On Sep 14, 2012
ndu_chucks:

Look at this beared Ewu who wants to be and look like Ikemba by all means.I will not say too much,but for now, I will use one of Ikemba's favourite phrases and say to you: Gooood morning!! olodo

Every sensible person knows that the Onshore-offshore scheme, as currently constituted, is discriminatory, illegal, and unconstitutional.
Do those 'in'sensible ppl include the Justices of the Supreme Court who have declared it Constitutional...who be d 'olodo' now?
Re: Nigeria: Fed Govt Forecloses Review Of Onshore-offshore Dichotomy by Onlytruth(m): 4:34pm On Sep 14, 2012
ndu_chucks:

You should at least be honest enough to show us where I personally supported the damn thing in the past. All I really wanted to know is why NDIGBO support this thing.
I know that your nama brain won't recall, but I supported your position on it in the past (onshore 100%, offshore to be shared according to population of states), so your "good morning" is misplaced and shows you an a.s.s. grin cheesy

I could not do more than I had done before because I did not want to go contrary to the position of Ndigbo. Gerrit?
Ewu. wink
Re: Nigeria: Fed Govt Forecloses Review Of Onshore-offshore Dichotomy by nduchucks: 5:57pm On Sep 14, 2012
taharqa: Do those 'in'sensible ppl include the Justices of the Supreme Court who have declared it Constitutional...who be d 'olodo' now?

The supreme court declared what exactly, unconstitutional?

@Eze Onlytruth, you of all people should know why Ndigbo supports the onshore-offshore thingy. Pleas tell us why or your Ezeship is useless and a outright fraud.
Re: Nigeria: Fed Govt Forecloses Review Of Onshore-offshore Dichotomy by pazienza(m): 8:51pm On Sep 14, 2012
I have said it before on this forum,and i will say it again. Those oil producing state are fighting for the allocation that comes with offshore oil,they are not fighting to share it with us. What we should be worried about is how to increase the monthly allocations to our various states,and fighting against the onshore/offshore dichotomy would help us actualize that.

What ndiigbo have failed to understand is that nigeria is a jungle,it's all tribe/region for themselves. The sooner we learn this lesson, the better for us.

We don't want to be in nigeria ,but while we are in nigeria,we must exploit every opportunity available to us,we must do this ruthlessly without giving a damn to whose detriment it is,our interest must be put first before any other group's interest,every sentiment must be put aside,any alliance that doesn't protect our interest must be terminated. This is how i expect our leaders to think.
Re: Nigeria: Fed Govt Forecloses Review Of Onshore-offshore Dichotomy by PointB: 10:11am On Sep 15, 2012
I am inclined to align with OnlyTruth position on this issue, however not in totality! Primarily I agree that Nigeria is a jungle where the most ferocious and selfish is the king, and the mild are meek are survived by scrambling for crumbs. Naturally, every wild cat and fox would want to behave like tiger and lions, all claiming to be the lord of the jungle! Especially, when the masters of the jungle is pre-occupied with other matters. In the end both the wildcat and fox, are exposed as incapable of been able to manage the jungle, especially upon maturity!

Let me be a little clearer, our acting big brother especially in our own corner of the jungle is never a sign of weakness, neither is it a sign of cluelessness. In my book, it is a show of extreme confidence, and an illustration of the conviction of self believe. It has brought us this far after the war, it will take us further into the future.

Surviving in the jungle the way we have made us resilient, and enterprising. Why change a drastically a winning formula, especially at the detriment of our neighbour, and brothers, whose wellbeing benefits us in the short and long term. But perhaps who should ask for something in return, but in a subtle and less confrontational manner. We did not grow teeth, for sake of their yam!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: Fed Govt Forecloses Review Of Onshore-offshore Dichotomy by nduchucks: 10:45am On Sep 15, 2012
PointB: I am inclined to align with OnlyTruth position on this issue, however not in totality! Primarily Let me be a little clearer, our acting big brother especially in our own corner of the jungle is never a sign of weakness, neither is it a sign of cluelessness. In my book, it is a show of extreme confidence, and an illustration of the conviction of self believe. It has brought us this far after the war, it will take us further into the future.

Surviving in the jungle the way we have made us resilient, and enterprising. Why change a drastically a winning formula, especially at the detriment of our neighbour, and brothers, whose wellbeing benefits us in the short and long term.

This kind of "acting big brother" is not only a sign of weakness but a sign of foolishness, shortsightedness, and stuupidity. If the illegal scheme is scrapped, it would release billions of naira to you and your people. My rough estimate is that the SE region stands to gain N120 - N170 billion per year in federal allocation.

What are you gaining in the SE by giving up this kind of money. If this is the price for being a big brother, then you people are worse than stuupid. What are your short or long term benefits?

If I were you, I'd listen to what your Eze is saying. The onshore=offshore scheme should be scrapped and you all should look at your own interest, for once, and support the scrapping of the scheme.
Re: Nigeria: Fed Govt Forecloses Review Of Onshore-offshore Dichotomy by PointB: 12:45pm On Sep 15, 2012
ndu_chucks:

This kind of "acting big brother" is not only a sign of weakness but a sign of foolishness, shortsightedness, and stuupidity. If the illegal scheme is scrapped, it would release billions of naira to you and your people. My rough estimate is that the SE region stands to gain N120 - N170 billion per year in federal allocation.

What are you gaining in the SE by giving up this kind of money. If this is the price for being a big brother, then you people are worse than stuupid. What are your short or long term benefits?

If I were you, I'd listen to what your Eze is saying. The onshore=offshore scheme should be scrapped and you all should look at your own interest, for once, and support the scrapping of the scheme.

I know you are more concerned with the benefit to your people in the North, it would have been better to state this rather than foolishly pretend you are interested in Igbos' welfare.

In you read my text carefully, you would understand clearly that I mentioned our 'brothers' in the SS - Igbo, mischievously carved into SS. I rather the SE trade that 120-170 billion you pluck out from the puff for political power. In any case, SE are not dependant, nor greedy for SS oil. We'll leave that to the desperate region of core North to worry about. Call it anything you like, but the North will fight this battle alone. Wake us up when it is time for SNC or true federalism!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: Fed Govt Forecloses Review Of Onshore-offshore Dichotomy by nduchucks: 1:19pm On Sep 15, 2012
PointB:

I know you are more concerned with the benefit to your people in the North, it would have been better to state this rather than foolishly pretend you are interested in Igbos' welfare.

In you read my text carefully, you would understand clearly that I mentioned our 'brothers' in the SS - Igbo, mischievously carved into SS. I rather the SE trade that 120-170 billion you pluck out from the puff for political power. In any case, SE are not dependant, nor greedy for SS oil. We'll leave that to the desperate region of core North to worry about. Call it anything you like, but the North will fight this battle alone. Wake us up when it is time for SNC or true federalism!

Your intelligence is questionable and your hatred for fellow Nigerians in the North is blinding you from the obvious points Eze Onlytruth was attempting to get you to consider. For his, I pity you and your elk.
Re: Nigeria: Fed Govt Forecloses Review Of Onshore-offshore Dichotomy by taharqa: 1:44pm On Sep 15, 2012
ndu_chucks:

The supreme court declared what exactly, unconstitutional?

@Eze Onlytruth, you of all people should know why Ndigbo supports the onshore-offshore thingy. Pleas tell us why or your Ezeship is useless and a outright fraud.
My frnd read d article u are criticizing. The Supreme Court in 2005 declard d Onshore/Offshore Dichotomy Bill passd by d National Assembly a year b4 dat Constitutional. That is exactly why d Attorney-General is saying dat d legality concerning d issue is SETTLED since no body can appeal or overrule a valid judgement of d Supreme Court(except d constitution is amended OR d law is amended to an extent constitent wit the judgement of d court)
Re: Nigeria: Fed Govt Forecloses Review Of Onshore-offshore Dichotomy by Onlytruth(m): 8:23pm On Sep 15, 2012
ndu_chucks, please stop using my name to support you arguments. Let your arguments stand on their own strengths. Thanks in advance.

My bro PointB, I'm happy that you laid some points down as to why we Ndigbo should continue to support the SS states to retain the current sharing formula. I wish that other Igbo sons would add their voice to this debate, because I truly don't think that the matter is settled.
What I'm quarreling with is the idea that we should support SS willy nilly on this issue. I have looked at this thing for over two years as part of my personal debate about the bigger picture - the future state of things in Nigeria.
The more I look at it, the more I'm convinced that the Igboman's best interest would be served by a revenue sharing formula that brings in more money for our states in the SE. I am happy with most of our governors in SE; they are really changing our region with the little they are getting now. I believe they would do much more if given more money.
I take this position because there is no sign whatsoever from the SS governors that they are willing to embark on joint Eastern projects. Apart from the Rivers state government that invested in Orient Petroleum, I have not seen any other SS governor that invested in things that would benefit the whole East. If I see a rail or road project linking Aba to Ibaka, I may change my mind tomorrow. I have not seen it yet. So, methinks that if we in SE want to develop, we should develop alone. That is also part of why I have dropped my support for secession from Nigeria.

The most ironic thing is that those who should be pushing for secession are the ones who constantly mock Biafra and remind us of how they sabotaged it and how they will do so again. If I can get Igboland seceded without worrying about internal collusion involving the same people in Nigeria, I would care less about how this revenue is shared. It seems to me that our best bet for the immediate future is to develop Igboland with money we get from anywhere and anyhow. Make everybody answer im papa name inside the Naija jungle. I have absolute confidence that we Ndigbo will be the top dogs in that game and will win the game hands down. Trust me.

So, let the debate continue. cool
Re: Nigeria: Fed Govt Forecloses Review Of Onshore-offshore Dichotomy by nduchucks: 8:53pm On Sep 15, 2012
Onlytruth: ndu_chucks, please stop using my name to support you arguments. Let your arguments stand on their own strengths. Thanks in advance.

Don't get swollen headed because 'Onlytruth' appeared in my post, you should fell flattered instead. Your name has nothing whatsoever to do with the greater points I was making. olodo
Re: Nigeria: Fed Govt Forecloses Review Of Onshore-offshore Dichotomy by Onlytruth(m): 9:07pm On Sep 15, 2012
ndu_chucks:

Don't get swollen headed because 'Onlytruth' appeared in my post, you should fell flattered instead. Your name has nothing whatsoever to do with the greater points I was making. olodo

Hehe. I wasn't "swollen headed"; I was only trying to help you by reducing your attempts at divide and conquer and empower your arguments to stand alone. That's all.
Re: Nigeria: Fed Govt Forecloses Review Of Onshore-offshore Dichotomy by asha80(m): 9:10pm On Sep 15, 2012
Onshore/Offshore dichotomy: Northern elders slam Adoke
By Sanni Onogu, Abuja 19 hours 51 minutes ago
Font size: Decrease font Enlarge font
Adoke Adoke

Northern elders are angry with the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Mr. Mohammed Adoke, for declaring the debate on the onshore/offshore oil dichotomy as closed.

The Northern Elders Forum (NEF) yesterday said the Attorney General has no right whatsoever to say Nigerians cannot debate any issue of interest to them.

“Who is he to say that the debate on onshore/offshore dichotomy is closed? Who is he to say that the debate on onshore/offshore dichotomy is closed? By who?” spokesman for the NEF, Prof. Ango Abdullahi fumed yesterday in Abuja in a reaction to the minister’s statement.

Speaking at the valedictory session in honour of retiring Justice Francis Tabai of the Supreme Court on Thursday, Adoke had warned the public to avoid overheating the polity through re-opening the debate on the onshore/offshore oil dichotomy in the allocation of revenue.

But speaking to reporters on the sideline of the inaugural session of the Constitution Review Committee set up by the NEF in Abuja, Prof. Abdullahi lashed out at the minister: “Is he saying that Nigerians have no right to speak on issues which onshore/offshore dichotomy is, for him to say that the debate is closed? On what grounds?

“It sounds stupid to me. It is a matter of continuous discussion and debate. He has no right to say that the matter is closed.”

On the forum’s Constitution Review and Political Committees, the former Presidential Adviser on Agriculture said the North is looking primarily at resource control, sovereign national conference and onshore/offshore dichotomy.

He said: “Primarily, the issues the North is looking at are resource control, sovereign national conference as advocated and then onshore/offshore dichotomy. These are on the front burner of the constitution review. And the legal think tank here would review those positions and know how the North would approach it.”

On the 2015 presidential election, he said: “For us here, primarily we are involved first in securing the unity of our people. If our people are not safe and are not secured, 2015 will not make any meaning to us in this group because we believe that a united North will now be able to talk politics with sense.

“We are already bedevilled by a lot of crises, security challenges, unemployment and poverty. So with all these ones, I don’t think we have the luxury to be discussing 2015 for now at this level. We believe that if we are organised and united, we may be able to know where the balance stands in 2015.

“The question is that the issue of politics as we understand it, particularly when it comes to elections, there are rules for elections and the elections will be contested on the basis of rules. So, let it be. And that is what it will be in 2015.

He noted that the political committee set up by the NEF “is supposed to look at the politics of Nigeria and see how the North will fit into it or how Nigeria will fit into it in 2015.”

On agitation for state police, he said: “The agitation for state police already has gathered momentum and it is clear that there are certain past leaders of this country that already are championing it. Most of the southern governors are pro-state police and majority of our governors here are not disposed to state police.

“For us in the committee here, we are going to weigh the propriety of that vis-a-vis national interest. In fact, at the inaugural speech here, the chairman insisted that the North must not do anything that will be unjust to anybody living in Nigeria. We believe in the unity of this country.”

He added: “To me personally again, the issue of zoning should be thrown away. Contest should be open, and so be it. The question of allocation of positions based on certain region should be thrown away and let people be free to contest.”

He described the practice of the presidential system in Nigeria as expensive, but he did not say whether the NEF would be calling for a change of the system during the on-going constitution review process.

“As a group, we feel that we have embarked on a change that has brought disaster to Nigeria. The presidential system of government is a major disaster to Nigerians,” he said, adding: ”I have never seen governance as expensive as what we have on ground today, and even if we are copying the presidential system from the United States, we are bad copiers of the system that operates in the United States today.

“For example, a senator in Nigeria earns $1.5 million while the President of the United States earns $400,000 a year. So, something must be wrong in the manner in which we understand the presidential system of government, especially if we are copying from the United States.

“But talking about cost of governance from the little project I am trying to undertake now, I have reached a stage where I can pronounce that the cost of governance under the presidential system that we have is three to four times more than the parliamentary system which we threw away in 1979.”

Those who attended the meeting included the Convener, Alhaji Yusuf Maitama Sule; Chairman of the session, Paul Unongo; Ustaz Yunus Usman, SAN; Alhaji Bashir Dalhatu; Senator John Wash Pam; Air Marshal Al-amin Daggash; Alhaji Lawal Yusufari; Barr. Ibrahim Umar; Barr. Salmanu Rilwanu; Barr. Abdulfatah Bello and Barr. Solomon Dalong.

Others were Barr. Mustapha Bashir Wali; Barr. Simon Orkuma; Gen. Paul Tarfa (rtd); Alhaji Sanni Zango Daura; Barr. R.O. Yusuf; Barr Usman Abashiya; Barr Muhammed Sani Katu; Barr. Moses Tagifek; Kalli Gazali; Capt. Paul Thaha’al and Barr Muslim Maigari.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/news/61567-onshore-offshore-dichotomy-northern-elders-slam-adoke.html
Re: Nigeria: Fed Govt Forecloses Review Of Onshore-offshore Dichotomy by Onlytruth(m): 9:16pm On Sep 15, 2012
PointB:

Bro PointB, I don't think that our brothers(Igbo)in SS would be adversely affected by this, at least for now. I don't want to explain why I added "for now" for personal reasons. Nigeria is a very funny country, so I won't explain!
Suffice it to say that our brothers would still be fine with the new sharing formula, provided no one secedes with our lands from Nigeria using current lies gazetted as truth. So, I don't see how it harms them in any way.
In Nigeria, it appears that benevolence and conscience are often misunderstood as weakness and cluelessness.

I still have to add this huge caveat: I stand to be corrected by anyone from SS. Show me WHY Ndigbo should continue to support this sharing formula?
I'm waiting.
Re: Nigeria: Fed Govt Forecloses Review Of Onshore-offshore Dichotomy by sheyguy: 9:28pm On Sep 15, 2012
Re: Nigeria: Fed Govt Forecloses Review Of Onshore-offshore Dichotomy by sheyguy: 9:33pm On Sep 15, 2012
Onlytruth:

You should at least be honest enough to show us where I personally supported the damn thing in the past. All I really wanted to know is why NDIGBO support this thing.
I know that your nama brain won't recall, but I supported your position on it in the past (onshore 100%, offshore to be shared according to population of states), so your "good morning" is misplaced and shows you an a.s.s. grin cheesy

I could not do more than I had done before because I did not want to go contrary to the position of Ndigbo. Gerrit?
Ewu. wink
The bold part of your comment really cracked me up. So you don't want to go against the position of the Igbos . . . Being what you are to Ndigbo on NL, i thought you were suppose to rise above ethnic bigotry, atleast.
Re: Nigeria: Fed Govt Forecloses Review Of Onshore-offshore Dichotomy by Onlytruth(m): 2:03am On Sep 16, 2012
sheyguy:
The bold part of your comment really cracked me up. So you don't want to go against the position of the Igbos . . . Being what you are to Ndigbo on NL, i thought you were suppose to rise above ethnic bigotry, atleast.

I don't know what you are talking about. If I start to look out for Igbo interests in the Nigerian jungle, how does that make me an ethnic bigot, especially when everybody else in that jungle is wicked and selfish? Abeg spare me.

I just want to know why Ndigbo should continue to cheat themselves in Nigeria. I would make sacrifices, provided that I get something positive in return.
Only a fool would keep sacrificing in the face of constant hate and suspicion. If anyone would hate and suspect me, I want that person to at least have a REAL reason to do that. The irony is that those hated most in that jungle are usually the most conscientious and benevolent. The devils are usually feared and rested. cool

When I came newly to this site, I wanted Ndigbo to drop the idea of Biafra and to simply embrace Nigeria powerfully. I am just finding out that I never really moved from that position.
Re: Nigeria: Fed Govt Forecloses Review Of Onshore-offshore Dichotomy by Obiagu1(m): 6:03am On Sep 16, 2012
Onshore-offshore dichotomy is unconstitutional and illegal. No part of a country owns exclusively the mineral rights of a nation's seawaters.
The federal government is ruling out revisiting it because the head of the government is from one of the states that illegally benefit from it.

I will have to add that if the issue is resolved in accordance with what's obtainable anywhere in the world, it must be accompanied by an appropriate and accurate census.
Re: Nigeria: Fed Govt Forecloses Review Of Onshore-offshore Dichotomy by PointB: 6:30am On Sep 16, 2012
@Onlytruth,
Let's leave what has been gazetted as truth. In case of disintegration of Nigeria, whether spontaneously or premeditated, borders would be automatically redrawn, from Jos, Kwara, Kogi, to Benue and the Niger Delta. Water will certainly find it levels.

Back to the topic, the dichotomy is not our battle to fight! Those desperate enough for it should spearhead it, and they will! When Ndu_Chuks flung the 120-170 billion potential extra funds at our faces, why did he not go ahead and tell us the figures the North and SW will get as a result of their dodgy census figure, and extra states? Get my gist?

That is why I suggested that the best way the dichotomy can be reviewed is through and SNC. Where the dodgy population figures, uneven number of states at the zones, presidency among others, will also be tabled for review. North simply want more money, let them band with those as desperate as them to push for it! We must not play into their desperation, Nigeria is not disintegrating today! Keeping the dichotomy tilted heavily in favour of the 'south' appears more prudent, than having it spread sparsely, with 'greater portion' going to where it would most likely be misapplied. The focus of my point in reality is that we can afford to fold our hands in this battle. Better that than be used as cannon fodders against the SS!
Re: Nigeria: Fed Govt Forecloses Review Of Onshore-offshore Dichotomy by sheyguy: 7:01am On Sep 16, 2012
@Onlythruth, i still strongly feel u should be able to go against majority opinion harmed with good and convincing reasons, i will give 1 example, now this isn't to derail the thread.
The lagos state govt is currently embarking on a project to construct multiple lanes of roads along Badagry- Seme expressway and the position of majority of Lagosian is that they are in support of it, but i tell you that i don't support that particular project because:
1). It will multiply(by a factor of 4 or 5) the Traffic flowing into mile 2 and festac area(the Lagos end of the road) simulteneously and thus cause more hardship to the people supporting it in the first place.
2). It will be a elegant but wasteful endevour to go ahead and construct multiple lanes in a situation where the single lane it currently has can handle all of its traffic when in good condition. In fact imagine the effort and resource going into a one additional lane spanning over 50 km (100km in total) going into other Lagos roads in far worse condition.
3) why construct such road on debt that spans into the future when Fashola won't always be in power or always be in powerful position to maintain his current ideologies.
Or will ACN and Fashola rule Lagos forever?
I strongly think you should be will to go against the positions of majority on issues, Majority may carry the vote but Majority isn't always right and are open to change of mind on issues like these. You can bring about that positive change of mind.
Re: Nigeria: Fed Govt Forecloses Review Of Onshore-offshore Dichotomy by homerac7: 8:27am On Sep 16, 2012
sheyguy: @Onlythruth, i still strongly feel u should be able to go against majority opinion harmed with good and convincing reasons, i will give 1 example, now this isn't to derail the thread.
The lagos state govt is currently embarking on a project to construct multiple lanes of roads along Badagry- Seme expressway and the position of majority of Lagosian is that they are in support of it, but i tell you that i don't support that particular project because:
1). It will multiply(by a factor of 4 or 5) the Traffic flowing into mile 2 and festac area(the Lagos end of the road) simulteneously and thus cause more hardship to the people supporting it in the first place.
2). It will be a elegant but wasteful endevour to go ahead and construct multiple lanes in a situation where the single lane it currently has can handle all of its traffic when in good condition. In fact imagine the effort and resource going into a one additional lane spanning over 50 km (100km in total) going into other Lagos roads in far worse condition.
3) why construct such road on debt that spans into the future when Fashola won't always be in power or always be in powerful position to maintain his current ideologies.
Or will ACN and Fashola rule Lagos forever?

faulty points....

1. better dn hav d present "narrrow" access, and it will pave way for development of Agbara and other communities alond d road + those other end of Ogun state. dts whats called DEVELOPMENT

2. d "single lanes" (not single lanes though) cant handle d volume of traffic already. + remember it also includes a new rail line

3. no govt has available money to carry out large infrastructural projects in modern times, it's all on some sort of debt or other. so nothn wrong in dt at all.

#modified. tnx sheyguy
Re: Nigeria: Fed Govt Forecloses Review Of Onshore-offshore Dichotomy by sheyguy: 1:29pm On Sep 16, 2012
Homerac7, pls can u seperate your comment from qoute properly.
Re: Nigeria: Fed Govt Forecloses Review Of Onshore-offshore Dichotomy by Onlytruth(m): 8:13pm On Sep 16, 2012
PointB: @Onlytruth,
Let's leave what has been gazetted as truth. In case of disintegration of Nigeria, whether spontaneously or premeditated, borders would be automatically redrawn, from Jos, Kwara, Kogi, to Benue and the Niger Delta. Water will certainly find it levels.

Back to the topic, the dichotomy is not our battle to fight! Those desperate enough for it should spearhead it, and they will! When Ndu_Chuks flung the 120-170 billion potential extra funds at our faces, why did he not go ahead and tell us the figures the North and SW will get as a result of their dodgy census figure, and extra states? Get my gist?

That is why I suggested that the best way the dichotomy can be reviewed is through and SNC. Where the dodgy population figures, uneven number of states at the zones, presidency among others, will also be tabled for review. North simply want more money, let them band with those as desperate as them to push for it! We must not play into their desperation, Nigeria is not disintegrating today! Keeping the dichotomy tilted heavily in favour of the 'south' appears more prudent, than having it spread sparsely, with 'greater portion' going to where it would most likely be misapplied. The focus of my point in reality is that we can afford to fold our hands in this battle. Better that than be used as cannon fodders against the SS!

Your points are very clear my brother.

@First bolded, yes, I agree provided we maintain the heat on the thieves who have been gifted with our lands and basking in the euphoria that they will get away with it should Nigeria disintegrate. I'm happy that you touched that issue. Let me leave that for now.

@Second bolded, I agree too, provided we never allow our neighbors to continue in their past behaviour, 'cos if they do, then they must not count on us to even stay neutral. It would be foolish for us to do that. I am watching their body language down there, and I can tell you that even some politicians from that region are working with core North to abrograte this thing. It is an amorphous region with very strange elements and interests roaming free there. Ndigbo are far more united in focus and interest, and so most not act weak concerning things that can improve igboland economy. Having said that, I still repeat my caveat; if I see a change in the behavior of the governors in that region then I would recant; else, everybody must answer his father's name on this issue.

@Last bolded, the Igbo nation is too big and sophisticated to be used as cannon fodder by anybody in Nigeria. I think we should extert ourselves, and make hay, since we are no longer seceding from Nigeria.

Let the debate continue.

(1) (Reply)

(SEE VIDEO) Insincere Apology Video from Oshiomhole Not Accepted! / Seun, Your Mderators / Shocking Confession: Full List Of Boko Haram Sponsors Revealed By Ex Member

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.