Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,787 members, 7,810,051 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:29 PM

English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? (23274 Views)

100 Public Speaking Tips [FREE Ebook] / Home Practice Secret Of Starting Public Speaking / New Nigerian Writing Versus Old Nigerian Writing. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by Cleverley(m): 5:56pm On Sep 24, 2012
I think writing is more difficult to spoken english, lets take spelling for example, many people can easily pronounce a vogal word(s) very well but find it difficult to write them down.
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by donigspain(m): 6:13pm On Sep 24, 2012
afam4eva:
You peoples has start it again o,hmm after now them will blamed me. Me cannot spoke english?that's unpossible grin grin grin
Please, try and reference the author cuz she might be somewhere around. Believe me, you don't wanna get on her nerves.
**whispering**
I learnt she's a Yaba Left alumna wink cheesy
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by Exponental(m): 6:14pm On Sep 24, 2012
I think its d spoken: written might give u an opportunity 2 review n correct but spoken is a bomb. Once it explodes................gbagaun!!!
Senators were once a children, fellow widows.........n d likes are errors which exploded but if they were written, u get a better expression!
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by Afam4eva(m): 6:14pm On Sep 24, 2012
donigspain:
Please, try and reference the author cuz she might be somewhere around. Believe me, you don't wanna get on her nerves.
**whispering**
I learnt she's a Yaba Left alumna wink cheesy
lol grin grin grin
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by Kakability(m): 6:17pm On Sep 24, 2012
sholay2011:

From the highlighted, op, we can conclude dat written is more difficult than spoken English. grin
Thank God say you notice am. Me i go only settle to my pidgin english to avoid mistakes that hurts. Lol
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by Kakability(m): 6:21pm On Sep 24, 2012
Temismith: I tink writing is more difficult dan speaking. Because, there are alot of words dat we can pronounce very well but find it difficult wen it comes to writing it down.
like?
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by Kakability(m): 6:24pm On Sep 24, 2012
ebamma: What are you talk about,writing english is greater than speaking english
U see ur life? What are you talk about, i was tinking there should be an ING attached to the talk. And a question mark at the end. Am still laughing.
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by donigspain(m): 6:47pm On Sep 24, 2012
Nikky Gold: wink ; wink
Peut-etre tu parle francais mais tu ne peux pas il ecrire beaucoup
Oh really, u wanna give it a try?
Vouley-vouz danser avec moi, mon amour?
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by donigspain(m): 6:50pm On Sep 24, 2012
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by chucky234(m): 6:57pm On Sep 24, 2012
What you speak is what you write,the only difference is that when you speak people around you may not notice your errors unlike when you write.
In summary both are difficult but becomes easy as ABC if you put your mind to it.
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by tochilastborn(m): 7:17pm On Sep 24, 2012
k2039: .
I no good for Written and spoken english(both dey hard),I prefer make I speak broken english
abeg teach me how to break english.and give me eggsample of broken english
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by chucky234(m): 7:22pm On Sep 24, 2012
afam4eva:
You have a whole country as a friend?? WOW!!!
LMAO
The bros no know say people wey from Philippines say na Filipinos dem dey call dem.
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by chucky234(m): 7:24pm On Sep 24, 2012
bhiggbozz: writing english is more harder compare to writing.I could remeber in my secondary days essay writing was insteresting when writing but when the resultis out all we could see was red ink notifying our wrong usage of commas,fullstop, exclamation and etc.when speaking you could be speaking fluently with no one correcting where you should make a little stop.
Writing English is more harder compare to writing?
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by chucky234(m): 7:26pm On Sep 24, 2012
afam4eva:
That's because when writing, you have ample time to think and add some very big words which could be a luxury when you're speaking. If you meet some people who use big words on nairaland in real life, you'll see that some of them are not as smart and good with words they seem in nairaland. Some might even be stammerers. But with the help of writing you can just google for one gigantic grammar and people will think you have a PHD in English language.
Na true you talk,good example na Shymmex
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by chucky234(m): 7:30pm On Sep 24, 2012
Nikky Gold: wink ; wink
Peut-etre tu parle francais mais tu ne peux pas il ecrire beaucoup
Wetin come concern written/spoken English with French,na for here you wan show those fake french wey you thief for your younger sister mouth abi.
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by Sabotage4700(m): 7:46pm On Sep 24, 2012
Speaking
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by ideee03(f): 7:58pm On Sep 24, 2012
[quote author=ebamma]What are you talk about,writing english is greater than speaking english[/quote...lmao,garri master.
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by ask4double(m): 8:05pm On Sep 24, 2012
shymexx: I write the way I speak, so, it's the same for me...

English is my first language - I guess that's why the language isn't difficult for me...
for ur tini mind...
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by 360command: 8:14pm On Sep 24, 2012
A Burkina babe of mine writes well in her English rather than when she speaks the English. She says to me on her use of spoken English, it does not come natural while she is speaking. She tends to think of what to say. But when she writes in English, she is settled and makes her know what to write. I believe she is perfect in her writing compared to when she speaks English.

This can be applied to some of our great writers as well as great public speakers. There are some people who tends to deliver very well in writing than when spoken. vice-versa. I believe it all depends on the individual.
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by flow1759: 8:17pm On Sep 24, 2012
Speaking english is more difficult anytime anyday, because sometimes b4 u think of a word dat suits wat u want 2 express, u have already spoken out rubbish (tabon)
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by DonaldGenes(m): 8:18pm On Sep 24, 2012
Hmmmph! But why Some comments are being eerily effaced anyhow ''Quips''
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by adefash(m): 8:23pm On Sep 24, 2012
shymexx: I write the way I speak, so, it's the same for me...

English is my first language - I guess that's why the language isn't difficult for me...
the rason u cant write more than few lines so your faults wont be noticed abi?
I care less about my faults in english,be it writen or spoken.if english language can be failed in the country where it is their first language,yoruba can be failed by a yoruba man,demn! I care less!
I studied engineering in my first degree.i get worried if i commit professional mistakes because i dont have 4 years to waste learning english.i think graduate of english should be worried because they have chosen to learn another man's languaja.
Personally i dont like it when ppl start finding faults in another person's grammatical expression.even britons commit blunders,have you ever heard chinese or lebanese make speak english? They communicate and not bothered if the expression is correct or not.as much as i give carefull thought to how i communicate, i still find some known mistakes and sometimes unknown mistakes.you have a lot to fight when writing, tenses,spellings,punctuations,which one has "s" in its plural form, which is colloquial and a lot(difference between a lot & alot,etc).
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by DonaldGenes(m): 8:31pm On Sep 24, 2012
yuzedo: When you get caught in the act sleeping with an Army man's wife, you will know that Speaking English is farrrrrrrr harder than writing statement! grin grin wink
gbam!!
Just like you'll know am a bleeping Rhetorician amongst the whole NL
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by fortyfeet(m): 9:00pm On Sep 24, 2012
Basic: Writing is far more difficult than speaking. Punctuation alone takes time to learn. When you're speaking, you don't add "comma" or "full-stop". But in your writing, you must show how well you can use punctuations.
There is comma and full stop. You breath in or pause to observe them.
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by Cuddlemii: 9:02pm On Sep 24, 2012
adefash:
I care less about my faults in english,be it writen or spoken.if english language can be failed in the country where it is their first language,yoruba can be failed by a yoruba man,demn! I care less!
I studied engineering in my first degree.i get worried if i commit professional mistakes because i dont have 4 years to waste learning english.i think graduate of english should be worried because they have chosen to learn another man's languaja.
Personally i dont like it when ppl start finding faults in another person's grammatical expression.even britons commit blunders,have you ever heard chinese or lebanese make speak english? They communicate and not bothered if the expression is correct or not.as much as i give carefull thought to how i communicate, i still find some known mistakes and sometimes unknown mistakes.you have a lot to fight when writing, tenses,spellings,punctuations,which one has "s" in its plural form, which is colloquial and a lot(difference between a lot & alot,etc).

interesting!
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by charlsecy4(m): 9:06pm On Sep 24, 2012
As for me, I write better than I can speak fluently.
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by roughneck: 9:07pm On Sep 24, 2012
Some of us learnt to speak English from watching movies and listening to oyinbo music..how are we supposed to write
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by spicyv1(f): 9:10pm On Sep 24, 2012
FrontPageLawyer:

Before you criticize me, first remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from my eye

Lol oga, mabinu! I did not criticize you oh, only pointed out that you clearly answered the question you asked! Also, I didn't carefully proof-read my post, it would have been error free.
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by Nobody: 9:17pm On Sep 24, 2012
adefash:

Bwahahaha

You can read most of the posts from my old handle and this handle, I wrote the leading articles/essays in most of the threads on there... I write epistle when I need to - and I don't use big words, I use words words that're intelligible to most people... Am I not the type to force anything, I just let it flow - from formal English, to urban English...

The most important thing about language is your ability to communicate, not your ability to sound overly intelligent... That's why I laugh at folks on here who associate thesaurus words, with intelligence, or ability to write the language... And one reason why most Nigerians fail in Unis in the UK...

Another thing is verbosity, some write a lot without actually saying anything... So, it's better to keep it simple, precise, and intelligible to everyone...

Hope that helps.. wink
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by FrontPageLawyer(m): 9:18pm On Sep 24, 2012
spicy v:

Lol oga, mabinu! I did not criticize you oh, only pointed out that you clearly answered the question you asked! Also, I didn't carefully proof-read my post, it would have been error free.

LOL. mo binu, we are all here to learn.
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by fortyfeet(m): 9:19pm On Sep 24, 2012
Kakability: U see ur life? What are you talk about, i was tinking there should be an ING attached to the talk. And a question mark at the end. Am still laughing.
Its not just those, should be "written" writing.
Re: English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult? by Nobody: 9:19pm On Sep 24, 2012
ask4double: for ur tini mind...

Why should something I've done all my life be difficult?

That's like telling footballers that playing football should be difficult for them.. undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Intellectual Property Removed At Owner's Request / What Was The Last Book You Read? / 10 Silly Questions That Helped Shaped My Life .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.