Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,630 members, 7,813,087 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:46 AM

The medical students and aspirants thread - Education (172) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The medical students and aspirants thread (1826341 Views)

✿ Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma (AAU) 2016/2017 Aspirants Thread. / FUTMINNA 2015/2016 ASPIRANTS THREAD / 12 Things I Learnt From The Medical School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (169) (170) (171) (172) (173) (174) (175) ... (905) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Ahmadjr(m): 8:38am On Sep 20, 2014
Top of the morning to everyone hope your night rest was great, mine was.
I’ve got a bit of my past that I’d like to share with you guys, it’s not fascinating to say the least but it contains a bit of a lesson for anyone to relate with and possibly help some of you avoid the same mistakes in your life, so here goes…
I wrote my GCE which was my first when I was getting to SS2 which I flunked really, we all did (my class mates) I guess maybe cuz we were told it’s just a test prepping us for the much dreaded waec . To tell you the truth I was suffering from what we called the NFA syndrome (No Future Ambition) my conjecture then was that I was too young to worry about the future, all I care about was topping the class, so it wasn’t until SS3 during 2010 WAEC and JAMB registration that I gave much thought about what I wanted to study and which School I was gonna do it.
Most of my friends chose LAUTECH (about 5 of them) so I guess it was only natural that I did the same which I did and chose chemical engineering as my course, scored 238 jamb and 52% putme, yup I didn’t make the list, got 9 credits in my waec tho.
So I opted for Pre degree same year (2010) and gosh I was really flippant, missed classes the first few weeks, visited game centres often, I’m a fan of PlayStation… So I guess it was a blessing in disguise (didn’t think so then) when they increased the remedial fees to some ridiculous amount forcing me to withdraw and prepare for another year.
On Friday, 2011 (forgot the actual date, though I swore I’d remember it like forever)…on my way to Ogbomosho from Jos to sit for Jamb slated for Saturday I got in an accident at Okene, thank God my major injury was a glass cut to my elbow, I missed the exam tho.
On November same year (2011), after a change of heart I decided I wanted to become an Army Officer (my dad is) so I sat for the NDA (Nigerian Defence Academy) entrance exam, unfortunately my name didn’t make the list, same thing 2012 and 2013 (though jamb was now a must this year to qualify for NDA’s entrance exam…cut off was 180, I scored 200)…Nope my name appeared not.
2014! I decided to choose Air force or Navy as my first and second choice instead of Army thinking “maybe Army isn’t meant for me that’s why God refused for my name to be on the list the last 3 times.” This year’s gonna be different cuz I’ll read hard and pray harder which I did to my extreme best… Hurray I made my jamb (247, NDA’s cut off was 180) so I was really optimistic when I was writing the entrance exam, who wouldn’t be? The questions were soooo simple. I waited exuberantly for the list and it was finally pasted on 20th of June and to my utmost dismay my name didn’t make the list, again!… I was really crestfallen even about to break up in tears when I suddenly realised I saw something on the net a while back about change of institution, so I hastily Googled it and saw it was closing on the 23rd of June which was Monday, If jamb office was still gonna be open that night I would’ve been there in a jiffy but it wasn’t so I waited happily and hopefully for the next day (Saturday). Went to jamb office got the scratch card and onward to a café, changed my institution to Unilorin, course to Medicine cuz I realised I narrowly made their cut-off (which I thought was 240)… Sat for the putme on the D-day and scaled through with 84% and I finally made a List! The end…
Sorry for the long story, I’m just trying to emphasize something here which is….

My teacher Muhammad (saw) said that- “…Know that what has missed you was never going to befall you and what has befallen you was never going to miss you”.

There’s a thick line between what we want and what we’re gonna get, sometimes it seems we’re favoured cuz what we want is what is destined for us, and other times we feel indignant and disappointed cuz it’s the opposite… BUT the truth is we are always favoured, yes we don’t get what we want, but God makes it that He gives us what we need, what is best for us, though at the moment we don’t see it that way, I for one didn’t.
How do I know what I want isn’t what’s best?

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Samgreguc(m): 8:45am On Sep 20, 2014
dikeclint10: Hy docs pls i was jux admittd in Ndu 2study pharmacy..Pls i nid ur candid in order 2get trustworthy books..Tankz
Year one isn't that much text books requiring. When u get to d schools try meet ur snr colleagues, get the text required for ur school and study then, refer to the library for more details....

Mean while, this room isn't meant for Pharmacy student, click on d link below to meet ur fellow pharmacy student.

www.nairaland.com/1452911/pharmacists-pharmacy-students-interns-home/29
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Ahmadjr(m): 8:46am On Sep 20, 2014
How do I know what I want isn’t what’s best? Good question.
For my Muslim brothers my advice is that before making any major decision in your life, be it admission, Job, buying a car, building a new house, taking a new wife, Please always try to perform Salatul-Istikhara, you can Google it and learn the steps involved as it’s very important, judging from the fact that Rasul (saw) taught his companions how to perform this prayer just as he thought them the Surahs from the Quran.
As for the Christians my advice is that you also put God first in all endeavours and try to abstain from sins we might deem little, cuz sins distant us from our Creator and that makes prayer difficult to be accepted (this goes for everyone)…So when you pray ask God for what he thinks is best for you regardless of what you think you want, and when you pray be confident and optimistic!
May success always be ours, do have a pleasant day Y’all!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Samgreguc(m): 8:50am On Sep 20, 2014
DrHesjay: ...n I keep laffin..
like since when did it matter y I laffed..
I m sure u knw y I laffed... at least... I believe u have d brain na...
I pity ur little mind.......

I blame our fore fathers to some extent.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Thewhizzkid1(m): 8:59am On Sep 20, 2014
DrHesjay: oh..I get now..
check dat post again... I modified it . but seems u commented before I modified.
Thanks sir...I jux read d modified post nw.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Taofiq129(m): 10:33am On Sep 20, 2014
DrHesjay: lol.... scores..
my broda had 250...86...5As n 4Bs has no even bn admitted at all...
Lomaxx said it all dha...
nw dats y unilorin z sh*t...i dnt giv a damn or care if its ma skul or nt...a frnd of mine wit 76 don get medicine nd anoda wit d same score got ntin yet...wen skul no dy make public their cutof marks hw admission go dy transparent!!!...rubbish!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by bethedoski(m): 10:41am On Sep 20, 2014
DrHesjay: ah.. na u b my boss na.
what m saying is.
anatomy is divided into 3....histology,embryology and gross anatomy..
anatomy is not just one course... its a wide field with branches...as I said... gross anatomy is a regional stuff... while others r systemic..
there's also neuroanatomy. In unilorin.. its d last posting...(neuro posting) ...then they teach everything on d nervous system.
Hi boss, from my little research and some textbooks i downloaded. I realised that physiology is far broader and wider than anatomy since anatomy is the study of the structure of the human body while physiology entails both the study and functions of the body parts. Pls can u tell me what u knw on physiology as a course?. I'd appreciate. And thanks for the 100lvl courses u posted. They are invaluable to me right now.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 1:36pm On Sep 20, 2014
Samgreguc:
I pity ur little mind.......

I blame our fore fathers to some extent.
oh... sorry bro...
I feel ur pain ... And I understand perfectly..
when next anybody says anything concerning pharmacy or wahhever ..I ll cry.. I ll make sure I don't laff..
Pele ehn..
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Chartey(m): 1:39pm On Sep 20, 2014
bethedoski: Hi all. I really admire the matured contribution of most of the guys on this thread(Drhesjay,Doclight, fatima amongst others). Though i'm an introvertive and reserved fellow but this thread has encouraged me to spill my bitter guts.
I applied for medicine and surgery in the university of ilorin and i had 254 and 80% in my jamb and post-utme respectively. My single sitting waec result was also good with 2 A1s, 1 C5, and the rest Bs. But when the list was released, I was offered physiology. No one can imagine how i felt that day. I was so downcast and almost went shizophrenic. And far disheartening was my research on this course. I learnt that most graduates(physiologists and anatomists) are hardly employable and their services are hardly required in any establishment including hospitals. Am yet to come to a reasonable conclusion on what to do. I've seen some who were given the course with far lower scores i am not trying to show off or demean them but i'm just confused and utterly perplexed right now. I have not even paid the clearance fee because am considering opting for IJMB or Remedial. I wonder how a school of that stance would be so discriminating in awarding such a course. I sincerely need the candid advice of my bosses here cos the clearance is supposed to close on the 21st.
This is what I wanted to tell you.
DrHesjay: Yea.. I didn't even know it was you..
go for physiology... try to be among d best ten.. u ll get medicine n start in 200lvl(u lose nothing)..
u also obtain jamb form... u will pass if u prepare well... u get medicine but u lose a year.. its worth it. that's what worked for most of us..
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 1:41pm On Sep 20, 2014
Samgreguc:
Year one isn't that much text books requiring. When u get to d schools try meet ur snr colleagues, get the text required for ur school and study then, refer to the library for more details....

Mean while, this room isn't meant for Pharmacy student, click on d link below to meet ur fellow pharmacy student.

www.nairaland.com/1452911/pharmacists-pharmacy-students-interns-home/29
Hehe... Then I wonder what u r doing here....
omg.. or u wish it were here?? Its never too late boss... lmao.
don't mind me o... m just teasing u...lwkm
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 1:57pm On Sep 20, 2014
Taofiq129: nw dats y unilorin z sh*t...i dnt giv a damn or care if its ma skul or nt...a frnd of mine wit 76 don get medicine nd anoda wit d same score got ntin yet...wen skul no dy make public their cutof marks hw admission go dy transparent!!!...rubbish!
u sha entered like that... abi?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Gideon16(m): 2:28pm On Sep 20, 2014
Gud pm my bosses in d aos.I'm Gideon.A newly admitted students for dentistry nd dental surgery in University of Ibadan. Pls I ave heard series of things linking dentistry and medicine 2geda,Lyk one council, same courses, same no of yr etc. but I heard dentistry has some added course lyk oral pathology, oral anatomy etc.Pls I would be glad if my senior dentist in d aos cn list each courses we'll do ryt 4rm preclinical to final yr cos dis is has been confusing me.thanks
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 4:43pm On Sep 20, 2014
Gideon16: Gud pm my bosses in d aos.I'm Gideon.A newly admitted students for dentistry nd dental surgery in University of Ibadan. Pls I ave heard series of things linking dentistry and medicine 2geda,Lyk one council, same courses, same no of yr etc. but I heard dentistry has some added course lyk oral pathology, oral anatomy etc.Pls I would be glad if my senior dentist in d aos cn list each courses we'll do ryt 4rm preclinical to final yr cos dis is has been confusing me.thanks
Oluafolabi is d right man to answer the question...
I believe he will reply when he sees d mention
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Luminary1(f): 4:52pm On Sep 20, 2014
hello guys .........
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Mikenwa4real: 5:55pm On Sep 20, 2014
Ahmadjr: Top of the morning to everyone hope your night rest was great, mine was.
I’ve got a bit of my past that I’d like to share with you guys, it’s not fascinating to say the least but it contains a bit of a lesson for anyone to relate with and possibly help some of you avoid the same mistakes in your life, so here goes…
I wrote my GCE which was my first when I was getting to SS2 which I flunked really, we all did (my class mates) I guess maybe cuz we were told it’s just a test prepping us for the much dreaded waec . To tell you the truth I was suffering from what we called the NFA syndrome (No Future Ambition) my conjecture then was that I was too young to worry about the future, all I care about was topping the class, so it wasn’t until SS3 during 2010 WAEC and JAMB registration that I gave much thought about what I wanted to study and which School I was gonna do it.
Most of my friends chose LAUTECH (about 5 of them) so I guess it was only natural that I did the same which I did and chose chemical engineering as my course, scored 238 jamb and 52% putme, yup I didn’t make the list, got 9 credits in my waec tho.
So I opted for Pre degree same year (2010) and gosh I was really flippant, missed classes the first few weeks, visited game centres often, I’m a fan of PlayStation… So I guess it was a blessing in disguise (didn’t think so then) when they increased the remedial fees to some ridiculous amount forcing me to withdraw and prepare for another year.
On Friday, 2011 (forgot the actual date, though I swore I’d remember it like forever)…on my way to Ogbomosho from Jos to sit for Jamb slated for Saturday I got in an accident at Okene, thank God my major injury was a glass cut to my elbow, I missed the exam tho.
On November same year (2011), after a change of heart I decided I wanted to become an Army Officer (my dad is) so I sat for the NDA (Nigerian Defence Academy) entrance exam, unfortunately my name didn’t make the list, same thing 2012 and 2013 (though jamb was now a must this year to qualify for NDA’s entrance exam…cut off was 180, I scored 200)…Nope my name appeared not.
2014! I decided to choose Air force or Navy as my first and second choice instead of Army thinking “maybe Army isn’t meant for me that’s why God refused for my name to be on the list the last 3 times.” This year’s gonna be different cuz I’ll read hard and pray harder which I did to my extreme best… Hurray I made my jamb (247, NDA’s cut off was 180) so I was really optimistic when I was writing the entrance exam, who wouldn’t be? The questions were soooo simple. I waited exuberantly for the list and it was finally pasted on 20th of June and to my utmost dismay my name didn’t make the list, again!… I was really crestfallen even about to break up in tears when I suddenly realised I saw something on the net a while back about change of institution, so I hastily Googled it and saw it was closing on the 23rd of June which was Monday, If jamb office was still gonna be open that night I would’ve been there in a jiffy but it wasn’t so I waited happily and hopefully for the next day (Saturday). Went to jamb office got the scratch card and onward to a café, changed my institution to Unilorin, course to Medicine cuz I realised I narrowly made their cut-off (which I thought was 240)… Sat for the putme on the D-day and scaled through with 84% and I finally made a List! The end…
Sorry for the long story, I’m just trying to emphasize something here which is….

My teacher Muhammad (saw) said that- “…Know that what has missed you was never going to befall you and what has befallen you was never going to miss you”.

There’s a thick line between what we want and what we’re gonna get, sometimes it seems we’re favoured cuz what we want is what is destined for us, and other times we feel indignant and disappointed cuz it’s the opposite… BUT the truth is we are always favoured, yes we don’t get what we want, but God makes it that He gives us what we need, what is best for us, though at the moment we don’t see it that way, I for one didn’t.
How do I know what I want isn’t what’s best?
wow...touching,m api 4 u
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 6:00pm On Sep 20, 2014
bethedoski:
Hi boss, from my little research and some textbooks i downloaded. I realised that physiology is far broader and wider than anatomy since anatomy is the study of the structure of the human body while physiology entails both the study and functions of the body parts. Pls can u tell me what u knw on physiology as a course?. I'd appreciate. And thanks for the 100lvl courses u posted. They are invaluable to me right now.

Physiology is broad. Anatomy is grossly broad.

Anatomy ask the questions: tell me what? Where?
Physiology ask the questions: tell me why? how?

Physiology deals more with functions and mechanisms and is more technical than Anatomy. But they're all related.

They teach you blood pressure in physiology. When you go to anatomy they teach how to locate the superficial relations of the brachial artery so you can measure it accurately. If the blood pressure is high, pharmacology teaches you the drugs to use in reducing the blood pressure to normal, their side effects and how they should be used and in whom.

But just after you learn that, Internal Medicine teaches you that high blood pressure does not equal to hypertension and that you don't grab a patient with hypertension and start administering the drugs you learnt in pharmacology. It also teaches you that it is not all very high blood pressures that you immediately bring to normal with drugs and how to manage the sequale of complicated hypertension.

Well, everything goes back to Physiology.

4 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Mikenwa4real: 6:02pm On Sep 20, 2014
Gud p.m all..i love dix plc i jxt wanna say tnkz 2 de Docs in d huz,d gud advicers,snr colleagues,etc..wish u ol a nice weekend
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Mikenwa4real: 6:12pm On Sep 20, 2014
Just cant wait 2begin lecture cuz i av waited a lng tym 4 d day ah wil gt admitted 2 study medicine,d course i av passion 4...no mata hw difficult medicine may seem to be, ah wil make it z nt jxt by words buh i wil sacrifice anytin necessary jxt 2b a success
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Thewhizzkid1(m): 6:19pm On Sep 20, 2014
Mikenwa4real: Just cant wait 2begin lecture cuz i av waited a lng tym 4 d day ah wil gt admitted 2 study medicine,d course i av passion 4...no mata hw difficult medicine may seem to be, ah wil make it z nt jxt by words buh i wil sacrifice anytin necessary jxt 2b a success
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Mikenwa4real: 6:23pm On Sep 20, 2014
Pls cn sum1 help me out with the names of some medical movies i could get in the market...am done with "doctor house"to the last season,i watch movies nd read novels alot buh wanna use it 2ma advantage by readn medical novels nd watchn medical movies...i nid names plss so dat ah cn go nd luk 4 it in d market
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Thewhizzkid1(m): 6:29pm On Sep 20, 2014
Mikenwa4real: Pls cn sum1 help me out with the names of some medical movies i could get in the market...am done with "doctor house"to the last season,i watch movies nd read novels alot buh wanna use it 2ma advantage by readn medical novels nd watchn medical movies...i nid names plss so dat ah cn go nd luk 4 it in d market
I've heard of dix tv show-Gray's anatomy..I don't know much about it though...But u can check it out..
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Ahmadjr(m): 6:33pm On Sep 20, 2014
Thewhizzkid1:
I've heard of dix tv show-Gray's anatomy..I don't know much about it though...But u can check it out..

Yeah Grey's Anatomy is really great especially for those aspiring to be in the medical field, Good story line too.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Thewhizzkid1(m): 6:36pm On Sep 20, 2014
Ahmadjr:

Yeah Grey's Anatomy is really great especially for those aspiring to be in the medical field, Good story line too.
Yeah...I heard that too...Most medical students in the US watch dix movie...I'm not used to watching movies..
So I didn't pay attention to it...I may get to watch it someday though...Can u tell me about d show pls and it's relevance in d medical field?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by codedmelvin(m): 7:45pm On Sep 20, 2014
Gideon16: Gud pm my bosses in d aos.I'm Gideon.A newly admitted students for dentistry nd dental surgery in University of Ibadan. Pls I ave heard series of things linking dentistry and medicine 2geda,Lyk one council, same courses, same no of yr etc. but I heard dentistry has some added course lyk oral pathology, oral anatomy etc.Pls I would be glad if my senior dentist in d aos cn list each courses we'll do ryt 4rm preclinical to final yr cos dis is has been confusing me.thanks
am newly admitted too but MBBS,in university of Ibadan.nice meeting u here
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by labodinho: 8:28pm On Sep 20, 2014
codedmelvin: am newly admitted too but MBBS,in university of Ibadan.nice meeting u here

Wow! You made it this time,I'm so happy for you.Might not remember me tho try to recall ur last year utme.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Samgreguc(m): 8:43pm On Sep 20, 2014
DrHesjay:

If after reading that post till d end u still cudn't tell one of the things am doing here then,,,,,,,,,, am sorry u appear DU.mb!

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Samgreguc(m): 8:47pm On Sep 20, 2014
DrHesjay: oh... sorry bro...
I feel ur pain ... And I understand perfectly..
when next anybody says anything concerning pharmacy or wahhever ..I ll cry.. I ll make sure I don't laff..
Pele ehn..
Lol.... Pain? For your ignorance?
I guess u don't know SAMGREGUC of NL.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by codedmelvin(m): 8:57pm On Sep 20, 2014
labodinho:

Wow! You made it this time,I'm so happy for you.Might not remember me tho try to recall ur last year utme.
yea bro,its all about God,hardwork nd determination.....I think I recalled...I aspired for mbbs 2 yrs ago @ uniben,had aggr of 68 nd was given optometry which I rejected... gues we r frnds on 2go(Mel872).u in mbbs now?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 9:07pm On Sep 20, 2014
Samgreguc:
Lol.... Pain? For your ignorance?
I guess u don't know SAMGREGUC of NL.
na wa o..
so who is samgreguc of nl??
badoolee?? or what....
oya shake body..
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Suresh08: 9:26pm On Sep 20, 2014
Mikenwa4real: Pls cn sum1 help me out with the names of some medical movies i could get in the market...am done with "doctor house"to the last season,i watch movies nd read novels alot buh wanna use it 2ma advantage by readn medical novels nd watchn medical movies...i nid names plss so dat ah cn go nd luk 4 it in d market

Grey's anatomy
Monday mornings
A gifted man
Scrubs
Saving hope
House.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by adeoladrg(m): 10:10pm On Sep 20, 2014
DrHesjay:

This guy is damn immature.. Eediot!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Doclight(m): 10:15pm On Sep 20, 2014
grey's anatomy its the best ive seen, dying to watch it. Heard a lot about it. It cud even change someone's carrer path

(1) (2) (3) ... (169) (170) (171) (172) (173) (174) (175) ... (905) (Reply)

Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016 / National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.