Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,606 members, 7,812,987 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:43 AM

The medical students and aspirants thread - Education (173) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The medical students and aspirants thread (1826189 Views)

✿ Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma (AAU) 2016/2017 Aspirants Thread. / FUTMINNA 2015/2016 ASPIRANTS THREAD / 12 Things I Learnt From The Medical School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (170) (171) (172) (173) (174) (175) (176) ... (905) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Ahmadjr(m): 10:18pm On Sep 20, 2014
Mikenwa4real: wow...touching,m api 4 u
Thanks bro
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Doclight(m): 10:21pm On Sep 20, 2014
pls any whatsapp medical group? Pls add me.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Ahmadjr(m): 10:38pm On Sep 20, 2014
Thewhizzkid1:
Yeah...I heard that too...Most medical students in the US watch dix movie...I'm not used to watching movies..
So I didn't pay attention to it...I may get to watch it someday though...Can u tell me about d show pls and it's relevance in d medical field?

The series focuses on the fictional lives of surgical interns and residents as they gradually evolve into seasoned doctors, while trying to maintain personal lives and relationships. It's really interesting and useful cuz all of it's diagnosis on patients and the surgical procedures leading from it are made to appear virtually real. The series somewhat shows us the stress, hardwork, emotions, etc that's in Medicine...try watching it really it'll help a lot especially if you were in 300l above cuz then you'll be able to relate and maybe even diagnose some of the problems portrayed by the patients in the movie...Fun

House and ER are also great choices...
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Ahmadjr(m): 10:48pm On Sep 20, 2014
Evening Dr Lomaxx, hope your day wasn't dreary at all. I've got a question.

Pls did you ever get schorlarship(s) during your time in medical school 100l or higher? Would really appreciate it if you can type out the procedures you used, if u did get scholarship that is. Thanks
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ebsuguy(m): 10:50pm On Sep 20, 2014
Mikenwa4real: Pls cn sum1 help me out with the names of some medical movies i could get in the market...am done with "doctor house"to the last season,i watch movies nd read novels alot buh wanna use it 2ma advantage by readn medical novels nd watchn medical movies...i nid names plss so dat ah cn go nd luk 4 it in d market

Off the Map.It is an eye opener in Community Medicine.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Chartey(m): 10:59pm On Sep 20, 2014
Suresh08:
Grey's anatomy
Monday mornings
A gifted man
Scrubs
Saving hope
House.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Mikenwa4real: 11:08pm On Sep 20, 2014
Thewhizzkid1:
I've heard of dix tv show-Gray's anatomy..I don't know much about it though...But u can check it out..
tnx bro
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Mikenwa4real: 11:11pm On Sep 20, 2014
Suresh08:
Grey's anatomy
Monday mornings
A gifted man
Scrubs
Saving hope
House.
av watched house..emm gifted man or gifted hands??ben carson ah guess,av read both novel
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Mikenwa4real: 11:15pm On Sep 20, 2014
[color=#000000][/color]
ebsuguy:

Off the Map.It is an eye opener in Community Medicine.
tnx
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Mikenwa4real: 11:19pm On Sep 20, 2014
Suresh08:
Grey's anatomy
Monday mornings
A gifted man
Scrubs
Saving hope
House.
tnx 2
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Mikenwa4real: 11:21pm On Sep 20, 2014
Ahmadjr: Evening Dr Lomaxx, hope your day wasn't dreary at all. I've got a question.

Pls did you ever get schorlarship(s) during your time in medical school 100l or higher? Would really appreciate it if you can type out the procedures you used, if u did get scholarship that is. Thanks
..ears wide open[b]
Ahmadjr: Evening Dr Lomaxx, hope your day wasn't dreary at all. I've got a question.

..ears wide open[/b]

..ears wide open
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 11:34pm On Sep 20, 2014
adeoladrg:

This guy is damn immature.. Eediot!
... and u r damn mature grin grin grin
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by labodinho: 11:38pm On Sep 20, 2014
codedmelvin: yea bro,its all about God,hardwork nd determination.....I think I recalled...I aspired for mbbs 2 yrs ago @ uniben,had aggr of 68 nd was given optometry which I rejected... gues we r frnds on 2go(Mel872).u in mbbs now?

Ooh,u tried last year too which u were few points below cut off,that's history now.Back to present,congrat once again,I'm happy the choice worked out well.Mine is loading,I'll surely share it with u.I've dumped 2go a while nw,I might check u one of this days.Congratulations. grin
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by codedmelvin(m): 12:22am On Sep 21, 2014
labodinho:

Ooh,u tried last year too which u were few points below cut off,that's history now.Back to present,congrat once again,I'm happy the choice worked out well.Mine is loading,I'll surely share it with u.I've dumped 2go a while nw,I might check u one of this days.Congratulations. grin
tnx abunch,wish u al d best

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Profcamsey(m): 12:28am On Sep 21, 2014
Hello. I v promised God I ll do my best n be the best coz if I m not, my Dad ll finish me. He said "I av alrdy told u to finish Bch, but na diz ur med u 1 do". But na lie, papa dey happy inside, everytin na to make person serious. 4 years writing jamb no be beans oh. Wishing evri1 d best.

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by smartdave1: 2:43am On Sep 21, 2014
Hello... I saw this course in JAMB Brochure "Biomedical Engineer".... Pls what does in entail?

Thanks!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Jedix(m): 7:57am On Sep 21, 2014
Download this 5go 5 in 1 2go For Star Boosting download.jar for boosting your 2go from novice to ultimate
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Aladelokun: 8:35am On Sep 21, 2014
Good afternoon, medics

3 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by TONYE001(m): 8:51am On Sep 21, 2014
bethedoski:
Hi boss, from my little research and some textbooks i downloaded. I realised that physiology is far broader and wider than anatomy since anatomy is the study of the structure of the human body while physiology entails both the study and functions of the body parts. Pls can u tell me what u knw on physiology as a course?. I'd appreciate. And thanks for the 100lvl courses u posted. They are invaluable to me right now.

Physiology is a basic medical science that considers the functionality of the human complex. It has various subdivisions - renal, cardiovascular, respiratory, nervous, endocrine, reproductory, etc.

The truth: In the African society, there are limited job opportunities for Physiologists BUT if you know your "onions", you can find your way through.

Many Physiology students wanted Medicine - I wanted (and I still want) Medicine. The only way to find your way back to MBBS is to ensure that you bag a GOOD degree, a minimum of Second Class Upper would do.

If you want, you may proceed to the M. Sc level and pick up a lecturing job. My advice is that, if Medicine is what you want, chase after it with all your might while you still can.

Source: I'm a Physiology graduate from Uniport's Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences...

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by jumxix(f): 9:00am On Sep 21, 2014
TONYE001:

Physiology is a basic medical science that considers the functionality of the human complex. It has various subdivisions - renal, cardiovascular, respiratory, nervous, endocrine, reproductory, etc.

The truth: In the African society, there are limited job opportunities for Physiologists BUT if you know your "onions", you can find your way through.

Many Physiology students wanted Medicine - I wanted (and I still want) Medicine. The only way to find your way back to MBBS is to ensure that you bag a GOOD degree, a minimum of Second Class Upper would do.

If you want, you may proceed to the M. Sc level and pick up a lecturing job. My advice is that, if Medicine is what you want, chase after it with all your might while you still can.

Source: I'm a Physiology graduate from Uniport's Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences...
wow a physiology graduate I can't bliv am gonna meet a senior in my field ere,, can u tell me mre abt physiology plz,,, tho I choose the course myslf coz I want to av a good foundation for medicine buh now am having second thought about going for medicine After phy.. Bsyds is there any good job for physiologist (b.sc level) in the hospital (e.g dealing wit the ECG machine n co And do u av any physiology thread on nairaland

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Aspiregreat: 9:12am On Sep 21, 2014
Any unical med student present....
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Profcamsey(m): 9:40am On Sep 21, 2014
Aladelokun: To Everyone. Please, i want your advice about this pathetic situation. Actually, i was admitted to study medicine and surgery in Ekiti State University in 2012(medicine is the only department in the college for now) and for the past four years, there was no accreditation, it is always story story that even some of my mate took jamb and successfully admitted into other school to pursue mbbs. The worst is even the 300 level-A student that were admitted in 2009 but were unable to proceed for clinical at EKSUTH,(i don't know may be this is true that the Provost told them to go and start planting cocoa) now we have 300 level-A ,B and the present now 200 level just promoted to 300 level -C. Infact, my friend told me on friday that the EKSU MEDICAL STUDENT ASS. vice president, 300 level-A was just admitted to study denstitry in OAU(200 level)At the college, we have physiology, anatomy, medical library complex(which is the best in Nigeria) also under construction pharmacology and medical biochemistry building. NOTE: this building are just too beautiful. and what always pain me most is that virtually all medicine study are very(very) brillant not to talk of those that should be in clinical now but remain dormant. Infact, they don't come for classes again. Please, now to be proud, i know am brillant infact, i had the best GPA among my mates last semester. What can i do? now that jamb is around the corner, though i graduated from one of the FSTC in 2011. Please, great medics what can i do, after two years in 100 level, because, here there is always incessant internal strikes. Please ADVICE me as your elder younger BROTHER.... Thanks.
en! See gobe oh. Na my bch I dey jeje 4 eksu oh goin to 300. Afta searchn 4 admission in oda skul come make me swicth to Eksu med. Just admitted to 100level. I tot d 300A are to start mock exam soon and the skul is waiting 4 d accreditation team. *I heard tho
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by TONYE001(m): 10:02am On Sep 21, 2014
jumxix: wow a physiology graduate I can't bliv am gonna meet a senior in my field ere,, can u tell me mre abt physiology plz,,, tho I choose the course myslf coz I want to av a good foundation for medicine buh now am having second thought about going for medicine After phy.. Bsyds is there any good job for physiologist (b.sc level) in the hospital (e.g dealing wit the ECG machine n co And do u av any physiology thread on nairaland

Hello, nice to meet you.

Well, if you have decided to stay with Physiology, I would advice that you step above the B. Sc level. I think there are limited job opportunities for Physiologists in the hospital, especially in the Electrophysiology Unit (EEG, EOG, ECG, EMG, etc..).

At the post graduate level, you could deviate to Pharmacology or Public Health, if you want.

Exercise Physiology, Environmental Physiology (High Altitude and Deep Sea) are interesting fields as well.

My advice to you is, put in your very best. Study! Study!! Study!!! And of course, pray. Aim high and you'll surely get there.

Success... smiley

3 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Taofiq129(m): 10:05am On Sep 21, 2014
DrHesjay: u sha entered like that... abi?
omo if no b fate,i neva wishd to go to dah skul jes always surprisd am in dah skul...buh hesjay lyk criously even skuls dah ar nt beta dan unilorin declares their cutof marks...it shudnt b skul lyk unilorin dah wudnt declare hers na....to chose dem 4 med con becom prob,cos obtainin merit score doesnt guarantee ur admission into med or even any course...i tire jare
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Iceg(m): 10:05am On Sep 21, 2014
pls guys,,,if u read med in a state university ,hope it wont affect job opportunities?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by TONYE001(m): 10:23am On Sep 21, 2014
jumxix: wow a physiology graduate I can't bliv am gonna meet a senior in my field ere,, can u tell me mre abt physiology plz,,, tho I choose the course myslf coz I want to av a good foundation for medicine buh now am having second thought about going for medicine After phy.. Bsyds is there any good job for physiologist (b.sc level) in the hospital (e.g dealing wit the ECG machine n co And do u av any physiology thread on nairaland

Let me share with you a plan I once had:

After my B. Sc Physiology, I was considering M. Sc Deep Sea Physiology. After that, I would proceed to do a safety course (eg NEBOSH). With this, I stand a chance to be employed in an offshore/marine company at least as a Safety Officer.

I could also go into High Altitude Physiology and proceed to the aviation sector (after completing some specialty courses of course).

Voila!.. smiley

EDITED:

About a thread for Physiologists: I started one sometime ago but because of my busy schedule, I wasn't able to keep up with it...

You could start yours if you want and I shall make contributions when I can..
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 10:37am On Sep 21, 2014
Gideon16: Gud pm my bosses in d aos.I'm Gideon.A newly admitted students for dentistry nd dental surgery in University of Ibadan. Pls I ave heard series of things linking dentistry and medicine 2geda,Lyk one council, same courses, same no of yr etc. but I heard dentistry has some added course lyk oral pathology, oral anatomy etc.Pls I would be glad if my senior dentist in d aos cn list each courses we'll do ryt 4rm preclinical to final yr cos dis is has been confusing me.thanks
Hi. Bro. Congratulations on your admission. To your first question; Yes the study of Dentistry and Medicine in Nigeria is regulated by MDCN (Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria). To your 2nd question; Yes. Dentistry and Dental Surgery is a 6 Yrs course. The University of Ibadan runs a new curriculum for Dentistry/Medicine which implies that In 100 Level; Basic sciences- Physics, Chemistry, Zoology, and GES. 200 Level; Basic Medical Sciences(Or Pre-Clinicals) -Anatomy, Physiology and Biochemistry (Dental students have an added course Oral/Dental Anatomy) 300 Level; Pathology and Pharmacology. By 300 level 2nd semester you write your first MB exam on Anatomy, Physiology and Biochemistry. If the student is successful, He crosses over to Clinicals in UCH and starts postings In Medicine, Surgery, Paediatrics e.t.c . By the End of 400 Level, you write MB on Pathology and Pharmacology. 500 and 600 Levels will see you proceed to postings in Dentistry such as Oral Pathology, Oral and Maxillofacial surgery, Community Dentistry, Prosthetics, e.t.c while still shuffling between some postings in Medicine too. I hope you understand this? Just enjoy the time you still have at home there is no hurry. You are welcome to the Best Medical School in Nigeria.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by bethedoski(m): 11:04am On Sep 21, 2014
TONYE001:

Yeah. Thanks so much. Nice meeting you. The drastic and almost endemic unemployment problem for physiologists is not peculiar to africa, it's universal
Are u still pursuing medicine as a physiologist or have u been employed and u can still tell me more on physiology. I want to gather enough knowledge on the course. THANKS

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by TONYE001(m): 11:12am On Sep 21, 2014
bethedoski:
Yeah. Thanks so much. Nice meeting you. The drastic and almost endemic unemployment problem for physiologists is not peculiar to africa, it's universal
Are u still pursuing medicine as a physiologist or have u been employed and u can still tell me more on physiology. I want to gather enough knowledge on the course. THANKS

You have said it all. It's the bitter truth.

Yea, I still want Medicine. Right now, I'm giving Medicine a hot chase and when I'm done, I shall put together my experience and publish it here on Nairaland.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by jenbruce09(m): 11:58am On Sep 21, 2014
sir Tonye pls what year did u finish from port? N how many years does it take to study physiology??

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Gideon16(m): 12:06pm On Sep 21, 2014
oluafolabi: Hi. Bro. Congratulations on your admission. To your first question; Yes the study of Dentistry and Medicine in Nigeria is regulated by MDCN (Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria). To your 2nd question; Yes. Dentistry and Dental Surgery is a 6 Yrs course. The University of Ibadan runs a new curriculum for Dentistry/Medicine which implies that In 100 Level; Basic sciences- Physics, Chemistry, Zoology, and GES. 200 Level; Basic Medical Sciences(Or Pre-Clinicals) -Anatomy, Physiology and Biochemistry (Dental students have an added course Oral/Dental Anatomy) 300 Level; Pathology and Pharmacology. By 300 level 2nd semester you write your first MB exam on Anatomy, Physiology and Biochemistry. If the student is successful, He crosses over to Clinicals in UCH and starts postings In Medicine, Surgery, Paediatrics e.t.c . By the End of 400 Level, you write MB on Pathology and Pharmacology. 500 and 600 Levels will see you proceed to postings in Dentistry such as Oral Pathology, Oral and Maxillofacial surgery, Community Dentistry, Prosthetics, e.t.c while still shuffling between some postings in Medicine too. I hope you understand this? Just enjoy the time you still have at home there is no hurry. You are welcome to the Best Medical School in Nigeria.
I'm highly greatful.nice meeting u sir.u re a student of UI I guess?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Gideon16(m): 12:19pm On Sep 21, 2014
codedmelvin: am newly admitted too but MBBS,in university of Ibadan.nice meeting u here
.nice meeting u here.congratulations on ur admission.re u on whatsapp?

(1) (2) (3) ... (170) (171) (172) (173) (174) (175) (176) ... (905) (Reply)

Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016 / National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.