Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,684 members, 7,823,924 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:35 PM

The medical students and aspirants thread - Education (312) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The medical students and aspirants thread (1838965 Views)

✿ Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma (AAU) 2016/2017 Aspirants Thread. / FUTMINNA 2015/2016 ASPIRANTS THREAD / 12 Things I Learnt From The Medical School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (309) (310) (311) (312) (313) (314) (315) ... (906) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by NeonDee(m): 1:05pm On Nov 27, 2015
Millex:
Congrats bro, DE still wait on our admissions oh
Amim o. And same to you bro.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by RoastedCorn(m): 2:55pm On Nov 27, 2015
ultron1234:
is it possible to cross from dentistry to medicine...... if yes, how do you do it
yes it's possible, but transfering fron dent to med is like moving from fry pan to fire except it's passion driven
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Drdonzeez(m): 4:49pm On Nov 27, 2015
Dbrainiac1:
Hmmm
NO
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Drdonzeez(m): 4:51pm On Nov 27, 2015
ultron1234:
is it possible to cross from dentistry to medicine...... if yes, how do you do it
No..cc:Ojingbe,come give this guy orientation
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by yaqmoon56: 7:48pm On Nov 27, 2015
Hi, any microbiologist here please? usman danfodite. Kindly drop your contact.
Meanwhile, i've got a question. Is it possible to cross from microbiology to MBBS after 100L? if yes, what are the requirements.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by heykims(m): 8:44pm On Nov 27, 2015
lomaxx:
Good evening everyone. Please I would need the help of medical students in executing 2 projects. It's a personal work and the results would be sent to appropriate authorities on completion and hopefully seek publishing in reputable journals.

Most importantly, I want to have a representative statistic so it would involve many medical schools.Two each in the North West, North East, North Central, South West, South East and South South.

I want to execute the two projects at once and not one after the other. The topics are:

1) Factors Influencing the Preference of Medically Qualified Over Non-Medically Qualified Teachers in Nigerian Medical Schools

2) Prevalence of Stress Among Students: A Comparative Study Between Medical Students and Non-Medical Students in Nigeria Universities

I would need as much help as I can get with respect to distribution of the questionnaires and getting it back. I would provide a stipend to cover any cost you might incur in the process.

Additionally, your contribution would not go unnoticed as I would reference you as one of the authors. Should in case you have a research career in the future it's a good way to start. I started the same way when I was in 400 level and I was a 3rd author in a article that was published in the African Journal for Food Science. And off record, I guarantee you research mentorship should you need my help.

It's not an emergency. I want to get interested hands so we can get the job done in time. So please quote my ID( u don't have to quote this write up), I'll send you a
pm and we can exchange contact and work from there.

I'll be grateful if you help.

I need you.
Welldone bros, but I have issues with these your topics
1. Factors Influencing the Preference of Medically Qualified Over Non-Medically Qualified Teachers in Nigerian Medical Schools - did u expect non-medically qualified individuals to be employed as lecturers in medical schools in the first place, is it even a valid question?

2) Prevalence of Stress Among Students: A Comparative Study Between Medical Students and Non-Medical Students in Nigeria Universities- Stress isn't a definitive diagnosis in medicine, I believe definitive health conditions like anxiety disorders, depression with standard criteria for diagnosis should be used.
I don't know if u are a doctor or not but I think your topics require more scrutiny.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ikevin(m): 2:17am On Nov 28, 2015
heykims:

Welldone bros, but I have issues with these your topics
1. Factors Influencing the Preference of Medically Qualified Over Non-Medically Qualified Teachers in Nigerian Medical Schools - did u expect non-medically qualified individuals to be employed as lecturers in medical schools, is it even a valid question?

2) Prevalence of Stress Among Students: A Comparative Study Between Medical Students and Non-Medical Students in Nigeria Universities- Stress isn't a definitive diagnosis in medicine, I believe definitive health conditions like anxiety disorders, depression with standard criteria for diagnosis should be used.
I don't know if u are a doctor or not but I think your topics require more scrutiny.
I strongly feel what @LomaXx is referring to is:
A: a doctor (mbbs) lecturing on physiology instead of a dude who studied physiology, got a M.Sc and Phd and starts lecturing medical students.
B: we have semi-quantitative means of quantifying variables in sciences when definite measures are not needed sometimes, such as mildly acidic, strongly acidic or using the + sign to indicate the quantity. So people might as well say not too stressful, quiet stressful, very stressful OR +, ++, +++ etc. Just my thoughts though.

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 5:57am On Nov 28, 2015
yaqmoon56:
Hi, any microbiologist here please? usman danfodite. Kindly drop your contact.
Meanwhile, i've got a question. Is it possible to cross from microbiology to MBBS after 100L? if yes, what are the requirements.
The only option is to write another jamb
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by heykims(m): 6:34am On Nov 28, 2015
ikevin:
I strongly feel what @LomaXx is referring to is:
A: a doctor (mbbs) lecturing on physiology instead of a dude who studied physiology, got a M.Sc and Phd and starts lecturing medical students.
B: we have semi-quantitative means of quantifying variables in sciences when definite measures are not needed sometimes, such as mildly acidic, strongly acidic or using the + sign to indicate the quantity. So people might as well say not too stressful, quiet stressful, very stressful OR +, ++, +++ etc. Just my thoughts though.

1. Factors Influencing the Preference of Medically Qualified Over Non-
Medically Qualified Teachers in Nigerian Medical Schools
What he probably means by the first topic by non-medically qualified is like a graduate of physiology, anatomy etc teaching medical students. I believe he should have been more specific citing the preclinical phase as the study area. It is actually a subject of controversy for now and it has already been proposed by the association of provosts of Nigerian universities to stop non-medical doctors from teaching medical students in d pre-clinical stage as from 2019 or 2020.

2) Prevalence of Stress Among Students: A Comparative Study Between
Medical Students and Non-Medical Students in Nigeria Universities
Quantifying variables doesn't work in this case, this is medicine and is specific. Using the word 'Prevalence' already means u are dealing with a specific health condition that has its criteria for diagnosis. Therefore u must have made a diagnosis before u add it to preexisting prevalence. Examples are prevalences of HIV, tuberculosis, schizophrenia etc, all these have their criteria and lab investigations for diagnosis. Stress is subjective, what one sees as stress differs from what another sees it as and it isn't a specific diagnosis in mental health. Mental health conditions like d different neurotic disorders, depression etc have their specific diagnostic criteria using ICD10 or DSM ( for those who understand) that don't require laboratory investigations.
I strongly advice lomaxx to review his studies well nd avoid a an ambiguous topics hence the entire project may see an unpleasant outcome.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by cajole: 10:59am On Nov 28, 2015
somepple said Nigeria do not rili value dentistry to medicine....and pple do not go for teeth treatment lyk dat......
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Jessekhedra: 11:44am On Nov 28, 2015
Mbbs as profession is passion driven path to trend.. Thats the only way you excel!! And quite same for dentistry too you know.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Drguzzykola(m): 11:58am On Nov 28, 2015
cajole:
somepple said Nigeria do not rili value dentistry to medicine....and pple do not go for teeth treatment lyk dat......
Oboi@ Cajole=> if ojingbe catch u eh, hmm. grin
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Dbrainiac1(m): 12:00pm On Nov 28, 2015
cajole:
Ignorant people. They think it's all about teeth...
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Khan1993: 12:34pm On Nov 28, 2015
cajole:
information is power.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Dbrainiac1(m): 1:31pm On Nov 28, 2015
Drdonzeez:
NO
I talk ni?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Dunsin89(m): 2:43pm On Nov 28, 2015
Khan1993:
let me paraphrase. Did you attend Adams College.
I understand you na. I said No!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by RoastedCorn(m): 5:22pm On Nov 28, 2015
cajole:
that's what you think,they both have same salary structure and their employment rate is very high . . higher than MBBS's

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by naruto02(m): 5:43pm On Nov 28, 2015
Hello fellas,
Please any info about vet medicine courses from 200-600... Is it possible to cross over from vet medicine to MBBS?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Zellie: 6:57pm On Nov 28, 2015
RoastedCorn:
that's what you think,they both have same salary structure and their employment rate is very high . . higher than MBBS's
Really? How many dentists do you think a standard hospital NEEDS
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Zellie: 6:59pm On Nov 28, 2015
Uncle whizzy , I am still waiting o tongue
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Thewhizzkid1(m): 7:05pm On Nov 28, 2015
Zellie:
Uncle whizzy , I am still waiting o tongue
Lol. I know. This period has been really busy for me so I haven't been able to make it to d café. I tried sending through my phone but it didn't work cos my phone's gmail does not allow the attachment of files of more than 20mb. Bear with me abeg. No vex.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by natdswiftest123(f): 7:05pm On Nov 28, 2015
Gudevening medics...great work so far, this platform has been a source of inspiration to me this past few months. I've always wanted to study medicine which by God's grace I know I will but it has been tough so far. I had 283 n 68% in jamb and putme this year but I was admitted for medlab in uniben..pls I need ur advice on how to cope with this course and writing jamb, I'm really scared I might not be able to score above par in jamb because of the courseload...tanxs
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by heykims(m): 7:10pm On Nov 28, 2015
Zellie:
I'm impatiently waiting for the answer to this..
How many dentists are working in standard hospitals coz from my experience I can say d ratio of medical doctors to dental doctors in top government tertiary hospitals is way more than 30:1, worse in general hospitals that is if u even find any. In Comprehensive health centres, PHCs etc, u find none.
In private practice, I need not mention...
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Zellie: 7:18pm On Nov 28, 2015
Thewhizzkid1:

Lol. I know. This period has been really busy for me so I haven't been able to make it to d café. I tried sending through my phone but it didn't work cos my phone's gmail does not allow the attachment of files of more than 20mb. Bear with me abeg. No vex.
Vex ke grin .
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Zellie: 7:23pm On Nov 28, 2015
natdswiftest123:
Gudevening medics...great work so far, this platform has been a source of inspiration to me this past few months. I've always wanted to study medicine which by God's grace I know I will but it has been tough so far. I had 283 n 68% in jamb and putme this year but I was admitted for medlab in uniben..pls I need ur advice on how to cope with this course and writing jamb, I'm really scared I might not be able to score above par in jamb because of the courseload...tanxs
You applied for medicine and you were given MLS? In UNIBEN?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 7:33pm On Nov 28, 2015
cajole:
so u carry johnny nd tolu mata com nairaland.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 7:38pm On Nov 28, 2015
RoastedCorn:
too much roasted corn.nai dey do u so. nw read what u typed again
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by natdswiftest123(f): 7:53pm On Nov 28, 2015
Zellie:
You applied for medicine and you were given MLS? In UNIBEN?
Yes.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by RoastedCorn(m): 8:09pm On Nov 28, 2015
Zellie:
lol! . .i wouldn't wanna start the med vs dent arguement . .but only few dentists are needed in a standard hospital but the number of dentists produced by nigeria a year is very few,don't think it's up to 100 cos the last dentists that were inducted from UNIBEN alone ,is just 9 out of the 25 they admit. . .not too many ppl visit the dentists,yet they collect same salary with their medical colleague with avalanche of patients,the dentist even gets to spend more time with his family.

Medicine is superb and very diverse,but plethora of doctors are produced a year,even private universities produces doctors,doctors are now so many that they battle for internship space. . .same can't be said of the dentist.
The study of this courses should be passion driven

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Khan1993: 8:17pm On Nov 28, 2015
natdswiftest123:
I understand your worries. I was in a similar situation last year and this year am smiling. Your score in jamb wouldn't be a problem if you pick schools that won't add it to your pume score e.g U.I or Unilorin. That means a score of 250 will be of advantages to those uni mentioned above, although U.I use 200(provided they still maintain their stand on jamb's new policy). What I noticed this year was that aspirants that are already in School were able to pass U.I post ume well cos d chemistry has some Alevel questions. Not that advanced tho. So you in uniben for MLS is an advantage. Please make enquires on other schools that do not emphasize much on jamb score. All you got to do then is create time to study for pume. I always advise aspirants to pick schools that set their jamb combo in post ume. Goodluck
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by natdswiftest123(f): 8:19pm On Nov 28, 2015
Khan1993:
I understand your worries. I was in a similar situation last year and this year am smiling. Your score in jamb wouldn't be a problem if you pick schools that won't add it to your pume score e.g U.I or Unilorin. That means a score of 250 will be of advantages to those uni mentioned above, although U.I use 200(provided they still maintain their stand on jamb's new policy). What I noticed this year was that aspirants that are already in School were able to pass U.I post ume well cos d chemistry has some Alevel questions. Not that advanced tho. So y
Khan1993 post=40498405:
I understand your worries. I was in a similar situation last year and this year am smiling. Your score in jamb wouldn't be a problem if you pick schools that won't add it to your pume score e.g U.I or Unilorin. That means a score of 250 will be of advantages to those uni mentioned above, although U.I use 200(provided they still maintain their stand on jamb's new policy). What I noticed this year was that aspirants that are already in School were able to pass U.I post ume well cos d chemistry has some Alevel questions. Not that advanced tho. So you in uniben for MLS is an advantage. Please make enquires on other schools that do not emphasize much on jamb score. All you got to do then is create time to study for pume. I always advise aspirants to pick schools that set their jamb combo in post ume. Goodluck
ou in uniben for MLS is an advantage. Please make enquires on other schools that do not emphasize much on jamb score. All you got to do then is create time to study for pume. I always advise aspirants to pick schools that set their jamb combo in post ume. Goodluck
. Thank you
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by RoastedCorn(m): 8:22pm On Nov 28, 2015
heykims:

I'm impatiently waiting for the answer to this..
How many dentists are working in standard hospitals coz from my experience I can say d ratio of medical doctors to dental doctors in top government tertiary hospitals is way more than 30:1, worse in general hospitals that is if u even find any. In Comprehensive health centres, PHCs etc, u find none.
In private practice, I need not mention...
exactly!,the dentists produced by nigeria is not up to the required number for a country like nigeria,all dentists in nigeria are employed, you can never see an unemployed dentist,there are some states in the north which do not have up to 10dentists, what makes dentistry peculiar is cos of "rarity",many government hospitals don't even have dentists cos the ones available are already employed.
Cc: zellie, sure you're a UNIBENITE, Dr.Austin and Dr.thompson are doctors that graduated from UNIBEN but both now lecture 100 students ,organizing tutorials for them in Physics and chemistry . . .nigeria now have many doctors that even getting residency space is war. . . . . .that's why i said it should be passion driven

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (309) (310) (311) (312) (313) (314) (315) ... (906) (Reply)

Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016 / National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.