Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,782 members, 7,810,044 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:13 PM

The medical students and aspirants thread - Education (373) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The medical students and aspirants thread (1823683 Views)

✿ Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma (AAU) 2016/2017 Aspirants Thread. / FUTMINNA 2015/2016 ASPIRANTS THREAD / 12 Things I Learnt From The Medical School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (370) (371) (372) (373) (374) (375) (376) ... (905) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 1:53pm On May 30, 2016
Drdonzeez:
my stomach purges when people come up this type of question.The taste of pudding is in the eating they say.have you bothered to know if those that studied physiology are doing well or not?or you draw conclusion based on 'hear say'.If its medicine you want,go for it.No shortcut to fulfillment in life my dear and physiology is no waste of time If you have zeal for it.

hmm thanks buh I hardly see q physiologist doing well

and pls what exactly is their work in a hospital or?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by naruto02(m): 2:16pm On May 30, 2016
Millex:

If you really have the passion to do med, by all means, finish flying school be a pilot, go to medschool (abroad maybe) and be a flying doctor, maybe you would be the one to do some good in the world, like an air ambulance of some sorts, medicair kinda thing or doctors with wings kinda thing. It's all about what you want and how far you are willing to go.
I understand u.thanks
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by GideonOmach(m): 2:29pm On May 30, 2016
Drdonzeez:
Pls,learn to write in a concise manner.This Epistle of yours could be briefed into 4 lines.No offence pls.

Laughs. Oga Donzeez. that's true but the problem with being concise is the ambiguity and pun involved. everyone of us here is not the same and conciseness may just do a little at length, understanding what you're driving at. when being concise is necessary, it must be applied.
So it may also do more good to oneself and his readers to be sensitive to where it's needed, right now at this place considering what I'm contributing to, it's not! Long messages should not be a problem to you now Sir because you're or will be doing a lot of it. but onwards, I'm going to try to be concise enough and not make my messages vague at the same time. I want to hope are we good now Sir.!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 4:17pm On May 30, 2016
naruto02:

I started following this thread since 2013 after my grad. I thought nigeria will be a theatre of dreams as I hoped. But after writing jamb 4 times and couldn't get medicine my hope stated fading. Although right now I've been sponsored to a flying school abroad. I like aviation but its passion is not as strong as d 1 I have or should I say "had" for medicine. I'm still thinking, I'm leaving d country soon and I wrote jamb 2016 applied for mbbs. What if this year is my chance. I just hope been a pilot will be d best for me.
which company sponsored u I hope to fly a chopper some day
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Drdonzeez(m): 4:30pm On May 30, 2016
spotlessduke:

hmm thanks buh I hardly see q physiologist doing well

and pls what exactly is their work in a hospital or?
Do you know anyone actually?I understand your plight bro..In It's no news that BMS courses besides nursing and maybe med lab sci have a long way to go.The major challenges these set of courses are facing are lack of functional regulatory bodies and perceived mentality of Students taking this programs. but the good thing is that some graduates of this programs are making waves.A handful of them end up as lecturers but I wouldn't recommend any of these programs to any of my acquaintances.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 4:44pm On May 30, 2016
Donpre:

it feels like answering this could discourage or encourage your aspiration for medicine... well I hope that's not the case

In my opinion, Medicine isn't easy, [i didn't say it is hard] it takes a lot to become a doctor and unless you're willing to give that lot, then you'd probably not gonna be a doctor, because it takes an even greater lot to stay a doctor.

#NevermindMyParables_HopeYouGetItTho

I'm not discouraged at all

just that I asked a med stud if MBBS was very hard he said that it is very easy for people that know what they re doing

and pls what's the function of a physiologist?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 4:46pm On May 30, 2016
Millex:

Mbbs is hard as well as every other course, but human beings have been doing it so it's doable, you just have to be willing to put in work to ride through. Nothing in life is easy.

according to what I heard is that nursing is much harder than MBBS how true?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 4:48pm On May 30, 2016
Millex:

Do you want to study med or physio? Make up your mind so you know how to set your goals. physiology ain't a waste of time, Nigeria just makes it so, so it's up to you to be blown with the wind or make something out of it.

I put both in my jamb so if MBBS doesn't click I'm going for physiology and I dunno much about it. if its lucrative or if its just to study the course so as to teach as a lecturer or pls explain in full details thanks
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 4:52pm On May 30, 2016
Drdonzeez:
my stomach purges when people come up this type of question.The taste of pudding is in the eating they say.have you bothered to know if those that studied physiology are doing well or not?or you draw conclusion based on 'hear say'.If its medicine you want,go for it.No shortcut to fulfillment in life my dear and physiology is no waste of time If you have zeal for it.

pls how lucrative is it?

what is their function in the hospital

Dont most go into lecturing if it isn't a waste of time

most people Dont apply for that course bcuz it just get as e be sha...mayb u can enlighten me a bit
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 4:55pm On May 30, 2016
Drdonzeez:
Do you know anyone actually?I understand your plight bro..In It's no news that BMS courses besides nursing and maybe med lab sci have a long way to go.The major challenges these set of courses are facing are lack of functional regulatory bodies and perceived mentality of Students taking this programs. but the good thing is that some graduates of this programs are making waves.A handful of them end up as lecturers but I wouldn't recommend any of these programs to any of my acquaintances.

yeah I know of sum1 my cousin he told me most physiologist go into MBBS later bcuz they can't find job or they hardly employ them bcuz they re not functional I dunno if its such a bad idea to study physiology
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 5:47pm On May 30, 2016
walleygee01:
A friend of mine scored 261 last year but was 2marks away from Unilag MBBS cut off... this year he scored 234 and chose Unilag. he's from Ogun state. do you think he can still make MBBS cut off this year? he feels downcast now because after intensive preparations and long hours of studying for Unilag p.utme last year, all he got was 27... please ur advice is needed medicos. Afternoon!!!

wait oh he was 2 marks away from the cut off??

did Unilag give him another course?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Millex(m): 6:05pm On May 30, 2016
spotlessduke:

I put both in my jamb so if MBBS doesn't click I'm going for physiology and I dunno much about it. if its lucrative or if its just to study the course so as to teach as a lecturer or pls explain in full details thanks
Lecturing isn't a waste of time to me tho, I hope to lecture someday cus that way you are part of the building of the future. The problem however is Nigeria, in other countries a physiologist is a scientist doing research and finding out stuff.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by labodinho: 6:21pm On May 30, 2016
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by naruto02(m): 6:51pm On May 30, 2016
gebhota:
which company sponsored u I hope to fly a chopper some day
Its a private sponsorship. Its not helicopter training. Its aeroplane. D whole thing from zero to commercial pilot license
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Millex(m): 7:15pm On May 30, 2016
Ya'll should read this article written by eddykurrent, really insightful on the state of emergency health care in Nigeria

http://thenationonlineng.net/death-faster-cheaper-help/
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 8:49pm On May 30, 2016
naruto02:

Its a private sponsorship. Its not helicopter training. Its aeroplane. D whole thing from zero to commercial pilot license
are u doing it in ng?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by jemmiee(f): 9:13pm On May 30, 2016
Donpre:

I think unical have a very disrupted curriculum, seriously very very disrupted

just curious anyway, since you offered all the courses med students did, can you in all sincerity say that you'd pass the MB exam if ask to write one now?
Dat kind tin! It takes earnest preparation jare! If ai write the MB exam ryt now ai will fail woefully, except ai have at least month to prepare.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by jemmiee(f): 9:15pm On May 30, 2016
spotlessduke:
pls I need an honest person to answer

is MBBS as hard as people paint it?
The bottom line about medicine is Read Read Read. If you don't have a driving force and you don't like reading, don't go near. Don't bother wasting your money, time and energy.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by jemmiee(f): 9:18pm On May 30, 2016
Mickael2:

Wel, they aren't among the top universities anyway so what do you expect? An anatomy student doing biochem? That's quite messed up though, then what's the difference there?!
Unical is one messed up school, I'm sorry to say. That's my opinion.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by jemmiee(f): 9:21pm On May 30, 2016
Dbrainiac1:
That means unical's med school's syllabus get k-leg. Yes, basic med sciences do offer the same courses as those in MBBS, but the mode of lectures has to be different. And the syllabus too.
Even in delsu, the basic medical science students have same course outline so that peeps with 4.cgpa and above can cross over to medicine in their year three and write MB if they're interested.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by jemmiee(f): 9:25pm On May 30, 2016
dearpiriye:
physiology taking some anatomy courses is the right thing, but anatomy taking physiology courses? That's extremely odd. As for biochemistry that is another story. Well to each his own. I've never heard of this before tho. Guess we do learn new things everyday.
Ai didn't mention bcm ooo. Bcm don't do anatomy except histology. But we and physiologists offer same courses and attend same classes with medicine until second semester year three, when everyone flies to his tents, medicine students go into year4A, anatomists start offering courses like relevant lab techniques, forensics, mortuary science, aesthetics, etc, physiologist offer their own courses. That's for Unical oo!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by jemmiee(f): 9:29pm On May 30, 2016
Mickael2:

if an Anatomist offers physiology too, I can't complain much, I might just call it medical diversity but an Anatomist going for biochem too? I don't know again o, but this is the first time sha
Yes, we did the bcms medicine students did. The relevant courses.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by GideonOmach(m): 9:34pm On May 30, 2016
Millex:
Ya'll should read this article written by eddykurrent, really insightful on the state of emergency health care in Nigeria

http://thenationonlineng.net/death-faster-cheaper-help/
A lot of avoidable deaths Sir. I heard of an accident that happened to two persons while they drove home. One of them died immediately but the other was sustained with some bruises and few wounds. he had to be rushed to the police station to write a statement. perhaps, he was having an internal injury or something. no one knew. after writing the statement, right there in the station he just lamented of some internal pain in his chest and he slumped and died!

The honorable minister of State for labour who passed on two months ago with his family - wife and a son. his wife at least could have been saved but for our medics insensitivity or something. I don't know what to say. she was found alive and no check was conducted when rushed to the hospital, they only treated what they saw and while the treatment was on she died after 13hrs.
We not only need emergency too. we need people with character. Someone is dying and is being pleaded for, for the hospital's ambulance to be taken to the hospital that they were referred to and the doctors disagree saying he must first fuel the ambulance before use and besides, it's not a private hospital but a federal one.
Doctors bargaining of treatment prices before treatment when a patient is at the point of giving up! are we for money or to save lives. why should money be a requisite before offering treatment to patients? we don't only need medics with character but people with working senses. They should always try to check for internal bruises, cuts or disorders that could be lenti somewhat. God help Nigeria oo
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by OJABS1: 9:44pm On May 30, 2016
spotlessduke:

pls how lucrative is it?

what is their function in the hospital

Dont most go into lecturing if it isn't a waste of time

most people Dont apply for that course bcuz it just get as e be sha...mayb u can enlighten me a bit

Calm down bro. U bother too much. The world has advanced and has gone past time when u have to choose a life career only for it lucrative purpose. It is one thing to get a highly paid job, it is another to remain in it. It is gud to desire a lucrative job, but it requires more than just a profit to continue in it. Most ppl eventually regret d job they find themselves in because of the wrong mindset they started with. U have opted for a course u don't seem to know much about. Don't u think u now rushed it? What happens if u are given physiology and all ur expectations about d course become d other way round? Easy bro. First thing first. It would have been better if ur worries were appropriately applied. Dream big about ur career. I think It is u who can make it lucrative and no one else.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by GideonOmach(m): 9:49pm On May 30, 2016
Oga Donzeez! Sorry for the long text again. laughs!

Everyone been about how weird it is for a student of one of the premed. science courses to do other medical science courses as medical students do.
what about my school where a student of zoology does courses like anatomy, physiology, microbiology, biochemistry, along side other zoology courses like histology, cytology, parasitology and the others.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Millex(m): 10:25pm On May 30, 2016
GideonOmach:

A lot of avoidable deaths Sir. I heard of an accident that happened to two persons while they drove home. One of them died immediately but the other was sustained with some bruises and few wounds. he had to be rushed to the police station to write a statement. perhaps, he was having an internal injury or something. no one knew. after writing the statement, right there in the station he just lamented of some internal pain in his chest and he slumped and died!

The honorable minister of State for labour who passed on two months ago with his family - wife and a son. his wife at least could have been saved but for our medics insensitivity or something. I don't know what to say. she was found alive and no check was conducted when rushed to the hospital, they only treated what they saw and while the treatment was on she died after 13hrs.
We not only need emergency too. we need people with character. Someone is dying and is being pleaded for, for the hospital's ambulance to be taken to the hospital that they were referred to and the doctors disagree saying he must first fuel the ambulance before use and besides, it's not a private hospital but a federal one.
Doctors bargaining of treatment prices before treatment when a patient is at the point of giving up! are we for money or to save lives. why should money be a requisite before offering treatment to patients? we don't only need medics with character but people with working senses. They should always try to check for internal bruises, cuts or disorders that could be lenti somewhat. God help Nigeria oo
Na so oh, my dad died too because when we got to hospital and his BP was checked (200 something) we were still kept waiting for another 3 hours, they were telling us to buy oxygen, vasopressin etc. That's how He died hours later, so many others. If only emergency medical service had been applied maybe he may be alive or maybe not, would have been worth a try.
Apart from govt, nothing stops individuals from donating to help build wards and stock up their drugs. Then again what do I know,
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Millex(m): 10:32pm On May 30, 2016
GideonOmach:
Oga Donzeez! Sorry for the long text again. laughs!

Everyone been about how weird it is for a student of one of the premed. science courses to do other medical science courses as medical students do.
what about my school where a student of zoology does courses like anatomy, physiology, microbiology, biochemistry, along side other zoology courses like histology, cytology, parasitology and the others.
I did all those, tho it was comparative animal anat and physiology, did Mcb, did bch, history, cytology, parasitology... But that doesn't make me ready for basic medical talkleSs of clinical
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by GideonOmach(m): 10:45pm On May 30, 2016
Millex:

Na so oh, my dad died too because when we got to hospital and his BP was checked (200 something) we were still kept waiting for another 3 hours, they were telling us to buy oxygen, vasopressin etc. That's how He died hours later, so many others. If only emergency medical service had been applied maybe he may be alive or maybe not, would have been worth a try.
Apart from govt, nothing stops individuals from donating to help build wards and stock up their drugs. Then again what do I know,

Eyaaaa... I'm sorry about that Sir. I believe God wants the best for all of us no matter what it is and how ugly it is. Take heart Bro. and that's it oo.. some of those guys are just black devils in white lab. coats and such white professions. sorry to say! you'd just wish at times, you're superhuman to do sth after they've dragged your matter like gliding pregnant snakes at that deadly hour you need their help oo
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by GideonOmach(m): 10:48pm On May 30, 2016
Millex:

I did all those, tho it was comparative animal anat and physiology, did Mcb, did bch, history, cytology, parasitology... But that doesn't make me ready for basic medical talkleSs of clinical

Tor. that's what I'm saying.. I believe she may be saying something similar or I don't know what else.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 11:15pm On May 30, 2016
Drdonzeez:

Are u kidding bro?
Nursing and MLS BMS courses?
Pls what is BMS nd kindly tell us wat clinical and health sciences are.
Thanks sir
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Millex(m): 11:22pm On May 30, 2016
GideonOmach:

Eyaaaa... I'm sorry about that Sir. I believe God wants the best for all of us no matter what it is and how ugly it is. Take heart Bro. and that's it oo.. some of those guys are just black devils in white lab. coats and such white professions. sorry to say! you'd just wish at times, you're superhuman to do sth after they've dragged your matter like gliding pregnant snakes at that deadly hour you need their help oo
Lol I ain't throwing blame tho, am just stating that there needs to be a system in place where healthcare is placed above money. If there is a system where every nigerian has health insurance then if the person has help issues rather than having the person making deposit here and there treatment can start spot on. I think that's what is used in UK not sure tho but corruption won't let it work.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Donpre(m): 11:46pm On May 30, 2016
jemmiee:
Dat kind tin! It takes earnest preparation jare! If ai write the MB exam ryt now ai will fail woefully, except ai have at least month to prepare.
wow! the same MB med students prepare for months before writing, you'd only need 1 month?shocked..... You must be wonder woman

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (370) (371) (372) (373) (374) (375) (376) ... (905) (Reply)

Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016 / National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.