Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,753 members, 7,824,160 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:29 AM

Somali Food! - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Somali Food! (34553 Views)

Somali And Korean Wedding! (korean Dude And Somali Princess) / The Somali/ethiopian People / Ask A Muslim/somali (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Somali Food! by Nobody: 6:00am On Sep 19, 2012
somalia5: sybellah u could have had kids with nice hair with me.

loool one thing i can give you for sure: u got jokes!

Thx for worrying about my future Kids, but they would be blessed to inherit of my beautiful naps cool they won't need curly/oyinbo hair grin

why did u do such things tho? it wasn't cool at all undecided

did u even try to apologize?
Re: Somali Food! by Nobody: 6:30am On Sep 19, 2012
Sybellah: Who knows about this fruit? We call it Cocota in CIV, and I think Mad in Senegal, it is delicious smiley How u guys call it in your region?

Made!!!! grin grin grin grin
Re: Somali Food! by Nobody: 6:50am On Sep 19, 2012
thiendella:

cheesy grin This fruit is the bomb! (c'est doux deh)!My favorite. We call it cocota or zaman/zaban (in Dioula), do u also use it for chew-gum? aha
Re: Somali Food! by JallowBah(f): 8:30am On Sep 19, 2012
sambos994:

Cool.

Its all good in the hood.

As for the fruit posted here: They have it in Gambia as well, my husband and baby loves it. For me, not too muchwink
Re: Somali Food! by somalia5: 8:37am On Sep 19, 2012
scam artists ...you have ruined a perfectly educational oppertunity to see the alternative dishes to eating what your kind typically eat; monkeys, snails, and fufu
Re: Somali Food! by Nobody: 10:38am On Sep 19, 2012
Sybellah:

cheesy grin This fruit is the bomb! (c'est doux deh)!My favorite. We call it cocota or zaman/zaban (in Dioula), do u also use it for chew-gum? aha
haha plus que doux!!! In senegal we just cut off the top and add salt, sugar and chili powder. It's sooo tasty!
You can also boil it with a lot of sugar to make a confit smiley
Re: Somali Food! by firestar(f): 2:32pm On Sep 19, 2012
thiendella:
Is that what we call 'Agbalumo'? Are the seeds hard and dark brown?
Re: Somali Food! by Nobody: 3:12pm On Sep 19, 2012
JallowBah:

In Gambia, its almost always spicy. Almost to the point where I can not eat ittongue

But the attaya-tea/coffee is too damn sweet. Bah, it makes your teeth go brown in TWO months.

Lol @ brownteeth. I just looove spicy food. smiley
Might need to try some gambian (fulani) food.
Re: Somali Food! by Nobody: 3:14pm On Sep 19, 2012
Fulaman198:

hmm depends on the food really, some is spicy, and some are sweet.

Jaloff rice can be spicy depending on how you make it, also Fulani couscous can be very spicy too.

Our deserts based on our milk can be very sweet.

We also have a special tea that we got from the neighbouring Touareg, which is the tea with mint, Fulani milk, and dates (raisins). I love it.

Yummy! Sounds good fula. later on im going to start a fulani food thread (dont want to come back to this one). I hope to be educated and to mend the little "drama" bttn us wink.
Re: Somali Food! by Fulaman198(m): 4:50pm On Sep 19, 2012
*Kails*:

Yummy! Sounds good fula. later on im going to start a fulani food thread (dont want to come back to this one). I hope to be educated and to mend the little "drama" bttn us wink.

I don't have drama with people, sorry if you thought I was upset with you or something
Re: Somali Food! by Nobody: 6:21pm On Sep 19, 2012
firestar:
Is that what we call 'Agbalumo'? Are the seeds hard and dark brown?
Hmmm I don't think so, the seeds are white
Re: Somali Food! by Nobody: 9:04pm On Sep 19, 2012
Fulaman198:

I don't have drama with people, sorry if you thought I was upset with you or something

Mschew. grin
Re: Somali Food! by JallowBah(f): 10:16pm On Sep 19, 2012
*Kails*:

Lol @ brownteeth. I just looove spicy food. smiley
Might need to try some gambian (fulani) food.

Let me know, I`ll fix you a receipewink
Re: Somali Food! by Nobody: 10:27pm On Sep 19, 2012
JallowBah:

Let me know, I`ll fix you a receipewink

check out fula's thread about the fulani. cool

im out of here, see you there.
Re: Somali Food! by sambos994(m): 1:37am On Sep 20, 2012
Sybellah: Who knows about this fruit? We call it Cocota in CIV, and I think Mad in Senegal, it is delicious smiley How u guys call it in your region?

You know....the inside looks like the udara I eat in my village. Is it by any chance chewy, like gum?

1 Like

Re: Somali Food! by Nobody: 1:39am On Sep 20, 2012
sambos994:

You know....the inside looks like the udara I eat in my village. Is it by any chance chewy, like gum?

Olodo, that's agbalumo, which looks nothing like that tongue
Re: Somali Food! by Nobody: 1:40am On Sep 20, 2012
Sybellah:

Chaiiiii! i am not born westernized, but i have some kinda insect-phobia, just seeing those plate full of insects creeps me out lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed i ll vomit my gutt out before even trying loool
Some people in CIV do eat it though, they call it ZAMALAN i think.

They're actually good. They taste like, but better than, dry crayfish.

I used to eat them raw without frying sef. Meh, I miss the good ol days when me and my cousins go out to the farm to hunt those delicious lil bug down. It was fun lol tongue tongue

1 Like

Re: Somali Food! by Nobody: 2:41am On Sep 20, 2012
sambos994:

Yes the flesh is very chewy like gum cheesy , so u call it udara in naija? This is my best fruit oo, but when ever u eat too much your teeth start feeling funny

More pics
[img]http://goree.rice.edu/files/images/Saba%20senegalensis_interior.preview.JPG[/img]
[img]http://goree.rice.edu/files/images/Saba%20senegalensis%20seeds.preview.JPG[/img]
Re: Somali Food! by Nobody: 2:53am On Sep 20, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

They're actually good. They taste like, but better than, dry crayfish.

I used to eat them raw without frying sef. Meh, I miss the good ol days when me and my cousins go out to the farm to hunt those delicious lil bug down. It was fun lol tongue tongue

AAH without fryin? see courage! loool @ bolded grin grin , these are good old days though, the countryside is so refreshing (the air, the environment, the food, everythin sems fresher) smiley

Between this and snail? what would u pick? snails abeg grin grin
Re: Somali Food! by Nobody: 2:56am On Sep 20, 2012
thiendella:
haha plus que doux!!! In senegal we just cut off the top and add salt, sugar and chili powder. It's sooo tasty!
You can also boil it with a lot of sugar to make a confit smiley

Salt and pepper i add only suga grin grin

I bet the confit is delicious though i never had it smiley
Re: Somali Food! by Nobody: 4:49am On Sep 20, 2012
Sybellah:

AAH without fryin? see courage! loool @ bolded grin grin , these are good old days though, the countryside is so refreshing (the air, the environment, the food, everythin sems fresher) smiley

Between this and snail? what would u pick? snails abeg grin grin

Snails, more meat and they have this crunchiness (for lack of better description)feel to them. You know the feel you get when you eat chicken gizzard.

1 Like

Re: Somali Food! by somalia5: 7:49am On Sep 20, 2012
Onila set you guys up knowing u would be all over a somali thread...

Re: Somali Food! by BlackKenichi(m): 9:53pm On Sep 20, 2012
Re: Somali Food! by Nobody: 12:43pm On Sep 21, 2012
WTF is esunsun, Ileke!??...eewww

I agree, fried snails are d ish! Do they sell snails here?? How do u kill it and remove d shell?
U know in Nigeria, they buy it alive. I never watched the process of making it, all I cared about was d finished product....
Re: Somali Food! by OdenigboAroli(m): 1:40pm On Sep 21, 2012
@Sybellah and Samboss994,thats not UDALA.
Re: Somali Food! by Nobody: 2:06pm On Sep 21, 2012
Shollypopz: WTF is esunsun, Ileke!??...eewww

I agree, fried snails are d ish! Do they sell snails here?? How do u kill it and remove d shell?
U know in Nigeria, they buy it alive. I never watched the process of making it, all I cared about was d finished product....

Lol, did you grow up in the village? If not, thatz prolly why you dont know the tasty delight called esunsun cheesy

I've killed it and fried it with my cousins. There's this special ivory stone mineral we used to clean the slimes off. I used to lick the stone cuz that thing was tasty too grin
Re: Somali Food! by Nobody: 3:44pm On Sep 21, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Snails, more meat and they have this crunchiness (for lack of better description)feel to them. You know the feel you get when you eat chicken gizzard.

smiley yess i knooow, they can be even more delicious than chicken<3
Re: Somali Food! by Nobody: 3:53pm On Sep 21, 2012
Shollypopz: WTF is esunsun, Ileke!??...eewww

You buy them alive. And then u cut the head, remove the shell and clean them in tiedous or warm water to remove their "liquid-like glue thing" i don't know how to explain, their is this substance on them which make them slippery, if i remember that should be the process, umh Ileke? what do u think?
Re: Somali Food! by Nobody: 3:58pm On Sep 21, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Lol, did you grow up in the village? If not, thatz prolly why you dont know the tasty delight called esunsun cheesy

I've killed it and fried it with my cousins. There's this special ivory stone mineral we used to clean the slimes off. I used to lick the stone cuz that thing was tasty too grin

lmaooo gosh grin grin, o well it should be delicious if so many pple say so, i just cant picture myself chasin them and killin it, i freak out at the sight of any insect lipsrsealed
Re: Somali Food! by Nobody: 3:58pm On Sep 21, 2012
Odenigbo Aroli: @Sybellah and Samboss994,thats not UDALA.

ok, what is it?
Re: Somali Food! by Nobody: 7:53pm On Sep 21, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

I grew up in Lagos oooo. I can't believe Ekiti ppl eat that! I'm going to ask my Dad, lol

They always go back into their shells anytime u touch them though, I imagine they would be really hard to kill........

U licked the slime off the stone??!! GOD!!
Re: Somali Food! by Nobody: 8:06pm On Sep 21, 2012
Sybellah:

You buy them alive. And then u cut the head, remove the shell and clean them in tiedous or warm water to remove their "liquid-like glue thing" i don't know how to explain, their is this substance on them which make them slippery, if i remember that should be the process, umh Ileke? what do u think?

So the head part shouldn't be eaten rit?? Do you hv to open the insides to remove stuff like u do chicken, fish and d rest??

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Ooni Of Ife Hosts Emir Of Kano Lamido Sanusi In His Palace In Osun State. Photos / Ooni Ogunwusi Observing Eld Prayers In Ile-Ife / The Traditions Of Origin Of Ora People In Edo State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.