Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,215 members, 7,818,730 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:16 PM

Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? (34760 Views)

Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? / Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? / Non-verbal communication that is considered offensive to Nigerians....... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by gst101: 8:27am On Sep 17, 2012
Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? After All Black People Call Themselves That?

when i was growing up and i came to hear that word nigger for the first time, i use to think it means someone who is tough. This is because tupac was the first person from whom i heard it. Black people call themselves nigger. It was much later that i got to know its true meaning.

My question is; why do black people not get angry when they call themselves nigger but get angry when people from other races call them the same name? Why is it offensive in the first place when we can see it as a different style of saying negro. After all, we are all negros.
Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by Tolaaaaannni(f): 11:10pm On Sep 17, 2012
I think Nobody should use the N word. White people definately should Not use it, and neither should

Blacks. I honestly don't get the usage of the "N" word by Blacks, I mean it was meant to make them feel inferior

about who they are. Why in the world are they still continuing that cycle of opression? Some people say they use the "N"

word as a term of endearment, but I personally say that is B.S. undecided

4 Likes

Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by Ptolomeus(m): 10:08pm On Sep 18, 2012
In my country (Uruguay), the term is used even among whites ... in a loving way.
I think the problem is that the term has degenerated into something derogatory, and is difficult to accept it as something positive.
In Uruguay, exists the "pride of blackness" proud to be black ...
Every culture is different, and that term takes on a different meaning depending on who says it and where he says.
Of course, this can also be used to offend, but then any other word would fulfill the same function.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by Nobody: 11:42pm On Sep 26, 2012
Ptolomeus: In my country (Uruguay), the term is used even among whites ... in a loving way.

shocked

1 Like

Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by InsertName: 2:30am On Sep 27, 2012
There are a lot of nonblack groups that have terms or words they can say within their group that will be perceived as derogatory outside the group. It's analogous to you joking/making fun of your sibling, yet will be damned if someone else did it. I don't know why everyone has to focus on the "N" word.
Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by Afam4eva(m): 9:46am On Sep 28, 2012
The first technical question we should ask is, what does Nigger really mean apart from the fact that it's used to describe black people. I think Nigger is just like the use of Okoro to describe Igbo people which is technically not offesive.
Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by Nobody: 9:47am On Sep 28, 2012
undecided
*Kails*:

shocked
undecided
Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by Nobody: 9:48am On Sep 28, 2012
afam4eva: The first technical question we should ask is, what does Nigger really mean apart from the fact that it's used to describe black people. I think Nigger is just like the use of Okoro to describe Igbo people which is technically not offesive.
and also using the word "Yoruba" to describe yoruba people (no bigotry intended)

10 Likes

Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by MacDaddy01: 9:49am On Sep 28, 2012
it is offensive because that was what white slave traders called black people.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by nedu2000(m): 9:49am On Sep 28, 2012
Ptolomeus: In my country (Uruguay), the term is used even among whites ... in a loving way.
I think the problem is that the term has degenerated into something derogatory, and is difficult to accept it as something positive.
In Uruguay, exists the "pride of blackness" proud to be black ...
Every culture is different, and that term takes on a different meaning depending on who says it and where he says.
Of course, this can also be used to offend, but then any other word would fulfill the same function.
luis suarez is dis U̶̲̥̅̊?lemme get ur autograph,lolzzz

1 Like

Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by freecocoa(f): 9:51am On Sep 28, 2012
What does that word mean sef?
Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by Afam4eva(m): 9:51am On Sep 28, 2012
berem: and also using the word "Yoruba" to describe yoruba people (no bigotry intended)
I actually find Yoruba more offensive than Okoro because when you call someone Yoruba, you're kinda making fun of the food they eat. Though i don't really think either of them are offensive.
Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by freecocoa(f): 9:53am On Sep 28, 2012
berem: and also using the word "Yoruba" to describe yoruba people (no bigotry intended)
Or ABOKI for the hausas just like the call us Nya mmiri dodon doya grin

3 Likes

Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by hagma37yahoocom: 9:54am On Sep 28, 2012
afam4eva: The first technical question we should ask is, what does Nigger really mean apart from the fact that it's used to describe black people. I think Nigger is just like the use of Okoro to describe Igbo people which is technically not offesive.
olodo okoro ko ego ni if any dam white cal you Nigger dont even take it likely go back to era slave trade and check out wat it means psycologically
Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by freecocoa(f): 9:54am On Sep 28, 2012
afam4eva:
I actually find Yoruba more offensive than Okoro because when you call someone Yoruba, you're kinda making fun of the food they eat. Though i don't really think either of them are offensive.
For me its not making fun of them per se, cos its nothing short of the truth.

They use too much oil to cook and saying that isn't a crime or derogatory.undecided

3 Likes

Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by Afam4eva(m): 9:56am On Sep 28, 2012
freecocoa: For me its not making fun of them per se, cos its nothing short of the truth.

They use too much oil to cook and saying that isn't a crime or derogatory.undecided
Yes, they use too much oil but it's still kinda derogatory to tell them that they use too much oil because that is their culture.
Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by Ignatio(m): 9:57am On Sep 28, 2012
I call white people nigga nowadays.
Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by Nobody: 10:00am On Sep 28, 2012
The term "Nigger" originated during the era of slavery in America... Slave owners derogatorily called their slaves "nigger" as their way of saying "negro". When slavery ended, the Americans outlawed the usage of the word as being derogatory towards black people but by then the black slaves had adopted it and used it to show love to themselves.. But still it's still among lower class blacks that tend to use the word more often.
Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by Nobody: 10:03am On Sep 28, 2012
freecocoa: Or ABOKI for the hausas just like the call us Nya mmiri dodon doya grin
l heard the word "nya miri" originated during the civil war when igbos in the north begged for water to drink. Dunno how true it is.
Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by freecocoa(f): 10:04am On Sep 28, 2012
afam4eva:
Yes, they use too much oil but it's still kinda derogatory to tell them that they use too much oil because that is their culture.
Since its their culture, shouldn't they be proud and not take offense when the obvious is stated?

2 Likes

Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by Nobody: 10:06am On Sep 28, 2012
it was/is a derogatory name used instead of negro by slave masters,blacks today use it to show a common relation and still use it in sarcasm,but when a white man uses it,its racist.

1 Like

Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by freecocoa(f): 10:07am On Sep 28, 2012
berem: l heard the word "nya miri" originated during the civil war when igbos in the north begged for water to drink. Dunno how true it is.
I think that's true cos its actually "nyem mmiri" but trust aboki and pronunciation na cheesy.

1 Like

Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by Nobody: 10:10am On Sep 28, 2012
Essentially because of the history of the word. "Nigger" was what they called black people back in the day. By back in the day i mean when westerners destroyed their families, captured them, made them into slaves, beat them, raped them and killed them.
Any word with that history is likely to be offensive. Plus it's pretty archaic these days. Similarly homosexuals aren't called gays now.

1 Like

Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by pak: 10:12am On Sep 28, 2012

You should have a drink on me for this.
Intelligent
Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by Jehdorb(m): 10:15am On Sep 28, 2012
berem: l heard the word "nya miri" originated during the civil war when igbos in the north begged for water to drink. Dunno how true it is.
Perharps u are correctly wrong.
Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by Nobody: 10:15am On Sep 28, 2012
There's two different versions/meanings:
Nigga & Nigger just like Gangster & Gangsta . Personally I don't have a problem with being called nigga by white or black folks. . It's about the content and not the container.
Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by emmatok(m): 10:17am On Sep 28, 2012
freecocoa: For me its not making fun of them per se, cos its nothing short of the truth.

See the way you Igbos distroyed the topic with your bigotry.
Even girls like freecocoa has Join the train.
Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by IleIfe2(m): 10:19am On Sep 28, 2012
It will always be offensive coming from a white man because it was used on black people picking cotton with their lips sealed and legs chained together. it was used on black people who were lynched for various frivolous reasons. it was used on black people for foolishly exchanging their loved ones for mirrors and bottles of liquor. at least for this generation, it's will be seen as offensive coming from a white man to a black man with a slave ancestral background (African-American) no matter the context.
Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by neferttiti: 10:21am On Sep 28, 2012
Nigger in french negre is a word that was used by white slave traders for blacks and it simply means *black*.. Leopold Cedar Senghor fought for the african right in france as a student he wrote a lot of books and handouts *j'affirme ma Negritude* Oui je suis negre telling the whole world that *Yes he is black*. So Ɣ'all shudnt get upset when referred to as nigger unless its actually coming from someone who's trying to look down on you. Your skin color is your identity.

1 Like

Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by kayswag100(m): 10:22am On Sep 28, 2012
d same way entering dis thread and peeeeeessing on d OP's face wld be OFFENSIVE!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Ijesa Indigenes In Canada Elect Okey Paulicap Okeke, Igbo Man As President / Mai Tangale, Buba Maisharu, Is Dead / Olubadan And Traditional Chiefs Fight Over Masquerade Directive In Ibadan.Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.