Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,741 members, 7,955,826 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 04:15 PM

Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? (35200 Views)

Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? / Do You Find The Word "nigga" Offensive? / Non-verbal communication that is considered offensive to Nigerians....... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by BlackBaron: 10:22am On Sep 28, 2012
MManuel: There's two different versions/meanings:
Nigga & Nigger just like Gangster & Gangsta . Personally I don't have a problem with being called nigga by white or black folks. . It's about the content and not the container.
cry na wa o.

What's the difference between those 2 words na.

1 Like

Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by garripack: 10:26am On Sep 28, 2012
[size=70pt]SO WAT[/size]
Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by Shaw007(m): 10:30am On Sep 28, 2012
That was then,during the racist years of the United states,where there was a lotta lynching then(60's 70's). . .calling a black man Nigger is reminding him that he's one of the supposed 'inferior' black race
and is usually disrespectful

its just like a normal person calling an i*diot 'i*diot',intentionally

Now!! Most ppl dont care. . .infact i dont care if ur white,black,yellow,green,caucasian,Australasian.i'm still gon call you nigger cool
Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by OmoAlata(f): 10:33am On Sep 28, 2012
It's also racist for a white man to call a black man/boy, "BOI" lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by cantell(m): 10:34am On Sep 28, 2012
freecocoa: For me its not making fun of them per se, cos its nothing short of the truth.

They use too much oil to cook and saying that isn't a crime or derogatory.undecided
Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by Kgdavid(m): 10:35am On Sep 28, 2012
afam4eva: The first technical question we should ask is, what does Nigger really mean apart from the fact that it's used to describe black people. I think Nigger is just like the use of Okoro to describe Igbo people which is technically not offesive.
berem: and also using the word[b] "Yoruba" [/b]to describe yoruba people (no bigotry intended)
freecocoa: Or[b] ABOKI[/b] for the hausas just like the call us[b] Nya mmiri dodon doya [/b]grin

plz what do the above bolded mean? i assume okoro is sort of a reference to Okoror as a popular igbo name? wat bout the others??
Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by Shaw007(m): 10:35am On Sep 28, 2012
afam4eva:
Yes, they use too much oil but it's still kinda derogatory to tell them that they use too much oil because that is their culture.
precisely!! Thank you,its their culture,and an outside person has no right what-soever to point that out or critizise them. . .jst cos its nt logical for other cultures doesnt mean its bad for them
Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by slimojas89(m): 10:35am On Sep 28, 2012
I didn't know how blacks could take the N word until Nas tried naming his album lipsrsealed. Oboi see wahala everywhere. Rappers sing everyday and say lipsrsealed this , lipsrsealed that and its "cool" but when a brother in the struggle wanted his album named lipsrsealed, there was uproar.Got me thinking like N****, why tha F*** have ya'all been saying N**** since?
Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by freecocoa(f): 10:38am On Sep 28, 2012
emmatok:

See the way you Igbos distroyed the topic with your bigotry.
Even girls like freecocoa has Join the train.
What are you talking about please? We are still on the matter na.

Please I'm far from being bigot, stand corrected.
Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by pak: 10:40am On Sep 28, 2012
Well as much as I agree that social norms and cultural values are just like religion. Once it doesn't align with yours, it often doesn't make any sense to you.

Now take the Nigerian example as opposed to the west. While growing up (in lagos). We were
used to calling the average ibo guy - Yellow pawpaw (remember 'Yellow lo ru, Omo Ibo lo ba je'), Omo Nna, Hausas were Abokis and so on. While this references were not complimentary they certainly could not be regarded as derogatory.
The ppl being addressed lived with (because they were brought up to be comfortable with who they are)

But for the west, let's take the Terry Scenario has an example. If Terry had just used the words 'fucking cunt' against Anton, as much as it will be seen as an insult, the whole issue would never have raised any dust. But insert the word 'black' in there and every body is up in arms. So in essence, they are saying it more insulting/derogatory to be refferred to as black than to be called a 'cunt' right ? Sound racist to me, not Terry but the hipocrates - sorry hypocrites.

I think blacks should quit living in the past and move on. We need to make a good name for our race

The word Nigger (or niger) is the latin for black, just as negro is spanish.
People say it hurts to be called nigger because of the slave trade and all those stuff,
but me thinks it hurts more to be called nigger/black because it is synonymous with Africa (the most underdeveloped and corrupt continent), crime, illiteracy and so many vices.

Blacks (especially in the west) are sensitive to the word Nigger the way we are sensitve to the word 'Nigerian' being used in advertisement and popular culture due to what we perceive as its negative connotations.

In itself there is no problem with the word Nigger and its usage, by the way my favorite rap 'Gospel' song - has a hook that says 'Let us Pray my Niggas'
Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by 360command: 10:42am On Sep 28, 2012
Ptolomeus: In my country (Uruguay), the term is used even among whites ... in a loving way.
I think the problem is that the term has degenerated into something derogatory, and is difficult to accept it as something positive.
In Uruguay, exists the "pride of blackness" proud to be black ...
Every culture is different, and that term takes on a different meaning depending on who says it and where he says.
Of course, this can also be used to offend, but then any other word would fulfill the same function.

The phrase "No hablo con los negros"(I don't speak to niggers) used by luis Suarez(liverpool player) against Patrice Evra(manchester player) during liverpool Manchester match , what would you make of that statement, was it friendly or offensive?

Also, I mean no offense but how did a Uruguayan end up on Nairaland. I know this is a WWW, i want to know if you are Partly Nigerian or you have friends from Nigeria as well as, been on Nairaland. Once again, I mean no offense.

Muchos Gracias
Tengo entendido espaƱoles es un poco
Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by pak: 10:42am On Sep 28, 2012
and by the way 'bleeping well' is supposed to be f*uc*king c*u*nt. smiley

I don't know whats up with seun and is autocorrect tools
Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by Nobody: 10:45am On Sep 28, 2012
Omo Alata: It's also racist for a white man to call a black man/boy, "BOI" lipsrsealed
hmmm! That's even worse than the word "nigger".I have watched so many american movies where some white folks call the black men "boy".
Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by Kgdavid(m): 10:46am On Sep 28, 2012
on the nigger issue i was actually thinking about it yesterday myself. its strange how people pick up on little things. the truth is its not the word that matters but the sentiment behind its usage. whats the difference between nigger and black when it is being used by a racist person?? instead of saying "hey you nigger" he goes "hey you black man"...the change in word does not change the derogatory implication of it. similarly what is the point of banning gay in favor of h.o.mosexual? at the end of the day to straight people the terms are equally derogatory. the word nigger actually has not significant meaning of its own. ridiculously even on nairaland if you type in ho..mosexual it gets filtered as gay

1 Like

Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by Deyinka007: 10:50am On Sep 28, 2012
BlackBaron:
cry na wa o.

What's the difference between those 2 words na.
NIGGER- a black man with a slavery chain around his neck.

NIGGA- a black man with a gold chain on his neck. -Pac

4 Likes

Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by killuminati(m): 10:53am On Sep 28, 2012
The word 'nigger' is used to address the dark skin person, usually used for 'males' during slavery era...

On the other hand, they used the phrase 'nigger-bitch' to address a black woman in a very offensive manner

But the word is now used by black across the world especially in the US.
It is often considered offensive nevertheless.
Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by Nobody: 10:54am On Sep 28, 2012
pak:

The word Nigger (or niger) is the latin for black,
so NIGGER means BLACK in Latin? I now wonder how Flora shaw named NIGER AREA (nigeria)! Na wa o!

1 Like

Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by 2sexy(m): 10:56am On Sep 28, 2012
Ptolomeus: In my country (Uruguay), the term is used even among whites ... in a loving way.
I think the problem is that the term has degenerated into something derogatory, and is difficult to accept it as something positive.
Every culture is different, and that term takes on a different meaning depending on who says it and where he says.
Of course, this can also be used to offend, but then any other word would fulfill the same function.
sorry, dude. Do you know the history of blacks? That word originated from the slavery days and that's an alternative word for a slave. You dig? So, if you are a slave, enjoy! A lot of people just use words any how without knowing it's full meaning, especially in Nigeria. That's how a guy was going around saying : 'what's up pu s s y?' until I made him know it's wrong. Some could also call one a 'flasher' but look up that word in the dictionary. How about ' you look kinky'? It goes on like that without knowing the meaning.

Go to the US where that word originated from and dare call any black that word... And then come back tell us your experience. Good luck
Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by collins123(m): 10:57am On Sep 28, 2012
berem: so NIGGER means BLACK in Latin? I now wonder how Flora shaw named NIGER AREA (nigeria)! Na wa o!

Nigger Area = Dumb Black Negro Man's land.
Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by MrGlobe(m): 10:57am On Sep 28, 2012
emmatok:

See the way you Igbos distroyed the topic with your bigotry.
Even girls like freecocoa has Join the train.
is it a lie, dont you weirdos use oil on oil for everything in cookong, the reason ve never bothered myself to taste anything food from 'that part of the country' which is generally believed to be awful.

btw the term 'nigger' is only used by black folks endearment basically to celebrate/commemorate (sort of) how far they have come from the era of slavery.

white people are mischievous so when they say they are using it loosely, we dont trust those racists. Call me a 'nigger' as a white guy and you are getting knocked down.

1 Like

Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by awesomet1(m): 10:58am On Sep 28, 2012
Is this a topic to be discussed Why not go ahead and name your kids by that name.
Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by ujukala: 11:00am On Sep 28, 2012
Thanks. You've said it all
Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by cap28: 11:01am On Sep 28, 2012
Wikipedia definition of Nigger:

Nigger is a noun in the English language, most notable for its usage in a pejorative context to refer to black people, and also as an informal slang term, among other contexts. It is a common ethnic slur, usually directed at people of Sub-Saharan African descent and suggests that its target is extremely unsophisticated. The word originated as a term used in a neutral context to refer to black people, as a variation of the Spanish/Portuguese noun negro, a descendant of the Latin adjective niger ("color black"wink.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigger

1 Like

Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by cap28: 11:06am On Sep 28, 2012
Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by Okijajuju1(m): 11:08am On Sep 28, 2012
As long as a white boy dont call me NIGGA!! the word remains a term of endearment! ..

1 Like

Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by slimojas89(m): 11:10am On Sep 28, 2012
pak:
Well as much as I agree that social norms and cultural values are just like religion. Once it doesn't align with yours, it often doesn't make any sense to you.

Now take the Nigerian example as opposed to the west. While growing up (in lagos). We were
used to calling the average ibo guy - Yellow pawpaw (remember 'Yellow lo ru, Omo Ibo lo ba je'), Omo Nna, Hausas were Abokis and so on. While this references were not complimentary they certainly could not be regarded as derogatory.
The ppl being addressed lived with (because they were brought up to be comfortable with who they are)

But for the west, let's take the Terry Scenario has an example. If Terry had just used the words 'fucking cunt' against Anton, as much as it will be seen as an insult, the whole issue would never have raised any dust. But insert the word 'black' in there and every body is up in arms. So in essence, they are saying it more insulting/derogatory to be refferred to as black than to be called a 'cunt' right ? Sound racist to me, not Terry but the hipocrates - sorry hypocrites.

I think blacks should quit living in the past and move on. We need to make a good name for our race

The word Nigger (or niger) is the latin for black, just as negro is spanish.
People say it hurts to be called nigger because of the slave trade and all those stuff,
but me thinks it hurts more to be called nigger/black because it is synonymous with Africa (the most underdeveloped and corrupt continent), crime, illiteracy and so many vices.

Blacks (especially in the west) are sensitive to the word Nigger the way we are sensitve to the word 'Nigerian' being used in advertisement and popular culture due to what we perceive as its negative connotations.

In itself there is no problem with the word Nigger and its usage, by the way my favorite rap 'Gospel' song - has a hook that says 'Let us Pray my Niggas'
Everyday as i leave for work, the "ABOKI" at the gate hails me "DOGO" and i understood that's what a tall person is nicknamed in hausaland, and hail him back. Blacks are strong people with a sense of pride and i don't like it when black look back at the times and take the N word too seriously.
Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by pak: 11:18am On Sep 28, 2012
slimojas89: Everyday as i leave for work, the "ABOKI" at the gate hails me "DOGO" and i understood that's what a tall person is nicknamed in hausaland, and hail him back. Blacks are strong people with a sense of pride and i don't like it when black look back at the times and take the N word too seriously.

nicely put
Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by pak: 11:20am On Sep 28, 2012
berem: so NIGGER means BLACK in Latin? I now wonder how Flora shaw named NIGER AREA (nigeria)! Na wa o!

@Berem
What is that on you profile pic ?
You just corrupted me shocked

If I do anything wrong this weekend na you O
Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by Delfino: 11:20am On Sep 28, 2012

Well said.
Culture impacts the meaning of some words greatly.
Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by coogar: 11:27am On Sep 28, 2012
Okija_juju: As long as a white boy dont call me NIGGA!! the word remains a term of endearment! ..

that's reverse racism in my opinion!
if you get offended because a white man calls you a nigga then you should be offended when a black man uses the same word!

tolerating it from a black man and not tolerating it from a white dude is reverse racism - you are now giving a black man a privilege to call you a nigga but you are denying a white man the same privilege!

we either ban the word completely or get on with it - regardless of who uses it on us!
Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by KINGwax(m): 11:29am On Sep 28, 2012
freecocoa: What are you talking about please? We are still on the matter na.

Please I'm far from being bigot, stand corrected.
don't mind that guy, he thought you are a bigot, he doesn't knw you are a 'tribalist'!

1 Like

Re: Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? by PHCWhiteBoi: 11:29am On Sep 28, 2012
Omo Alata: It's also racist for a white man to call a black man/boy, "BOI" lipsrsealed

White guys call each other Boys (usually collective). Especially in Ireland and some places of England.
I made the mistake of saying "Alright Boys" in greeting 2 of my Naija men colleagues and I could immediately sense the hurt, Later I made catfish pepper soup and we all got pissed and had a good laugh.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Pictures Of Lovely Geles You Wouldn't Mind Wearing? / The New Orimolusi Of Ijebu-Igbo, Lawrence Adebajo & His Convoy Hailed By Crowd / African Art

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.