Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,153 members, 7,818,487 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:11 PM

Nobody Can Intimidate Me - Jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nobody Can Intimidate Me - Jonathan (10668 Views)

Friends, Associates Have Abandoned Me –Jonathan / Aftermath Of Elections: I Hope Patience Would Not Divorce Me - Jonathan / Nobody Can Intimidate Us, Oba Of Lagos Warns AIG Mbu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nobody Can Intimidate Me - Jonathan by superior1: 6:50am On Sep 19, 2012
PRESIDENT Goodluck Jonathan believes that unseen forces are manipulating Nigerians against the government, judging by what he observed during the protest against the withdrawal of petrol subsidy, but he has said that he cannot be intimidated by anyone.

Similarly, he has blamed those he called the “political media” for overheating the polity because of their interest in the politics of 2015.

He spoke on Tuesday, during a lecture organised as part of activities marking this year’s Nigeria Independence anniversary celebrations at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Abuja.

“For me, if I see somebody is manipulating anything, I don't listen to you. But when I see people genuinely talking about issues, I listen. I am hardly intimidated by anybody who wants to push any issue he has. I believe that protest in Lagos was manipulated by a class in Lagos, [and] not the ordinary people,” he said.

President Jonathan, who spoke of what he termed “political insecurity” in the country in response to a lecture on the cause of insecurity in Nigeria delivered by former Ghanaian president, John Kufuor, regretted the way insecurity in the country was being portrayed in the media.

He said: “I believe political security is a big issue. There is this axiom that the pen is mightier than the sword. The sword is used to kill and destroy but what we use the pen to do is also very critical. When you have, a society with these unending political conflicts, it is there in the media whether print, electronic or social media. It brings a lot of insecurity to the system and, sometimes, people begin to doubt your government.”

Besides the media, President Jonathan also identified three types of Boko Haram which he said were also making things difficult for his administration.

According to him, “I believe it is not just the media. Like when we talk about the Boko Haram, we have political Boko Haram, religious Boko Haram and criminal Boko Haram. So, also in the media, you have the professional media and the political media.

“That is why I talk about the political media. Because of the interest of 2015, whatever you do is immaterial. The government must be brought down. And that mentality cuts across most African countries and even outside Africa.

“So, addressing insecurity is critical in developing African state. When you have this unending political conflict, especially in a country like Nigeria that is highly religious and with high ethno-tribal sentiments, it becomes very potent to even create a lot of problems for government.”

President Jonathan, who conceded that it was the responsibility of government to provide the environment for progress and transformation while the people are the implementers, regretted that citizens were misusing their freedom and privileges.

According to him, “That is why I am a bit worried that sometimes when government creates the environment, whether economic, social or even the media, but how the citizens use those privileges matters so much.

“Take the media environment for instance. We signed the Freedom of Information bill into law. It became the Freedom of Information Act but are we using it in the way it we are supposed to use it? Are some of us not abusing the privileges? The media environments that should have helped our transformation agenda are being used negatively. These are some of the issues we need to address.

“The way Nigerians challenge and abuse me, yes, the president has enormous power but if you use that enormous power, to some extent, you will look like a dictator. In a democratic setting, you want to create an environment where people can create their opinions and that is why people are allowed to talk freely and demonstrate. But are we doing so properly?”

The president, therefore, pleaded with Nigerians that “whenever we elect government into power at whatever level, at least for the sake of the country, allow the government to work before going into unnecessarily overheating the system.”

Speaking on the petrol subsidy protests, President Jonathan pointed to unseen hands which he alleged were responsible for the protests, because of their interest to see the downfall of government.

President Jonathan stressed his determination to ensure the conduct of free and fair elections, citing his offer of himself as a guinea pig in the last presidential election just to ensure that it was credible.

He appealed for patience as he noted that the provision of infrastructure was a gradual process which could not be achieved overnight.

In his remark during the lecture, the former Ghanaian leader identified imbalance in development as a major cause of insecurity in Nigeria, which, he said, was costing the country the opportunity to be the giant nation that it ought to be.

In his lecture, entitled “Nigeria: Security, Development and National Transformation,” he said “naturally, imbalanced development that involves horizontal inequalities is an important source of conflict and that is costing Nigeria the opportunity to be the giant nation that it can and should be.”

Noting that any government that was able to deliver on security and development could earn the right to remain in office, he observed that despite diversity, Nigerians were proud as individuals, intelligent, industrious and entrepreneurial.

Mr Kuffour regretted that the resourcefulness had not yet impacted fully to the advantage of the nation or to the rest of the continent, but added that if appropriate policies and institutions were put in place, Nigeria could fulfil the expectation.

Meanwhile, the Speaker, House of Representatives, Honourable Aminu Tambuwal, on Tuesday, expressed the resolve of the House to go the whole hog to ensure full implementation of the 2012 budget passed by the National Assembly, saying that outcome of the reports of the various committees would form the next action to be taken on President Jonathan.

Honourable Tambuwal, who addressed members before the commencement of Tuesday’s plenary session, said “budget in Nigeria has become a yearly ritual. The Appropriation Act is observed more in breach than execution.”

The speaker noted that “with specific reference to the 2012 budget, we have asked all committees of the House to collate information on the level of funding and implementation by various ministries and parastatals.”

He, however, commended the president on the performance contract initiated by him to regulate the conduct of ministers.

On the constitution review exercise, he said “as elected representatives, we believe that an all-inclusive and consultative process should be put in place to guide the process.”

To this end, we are proposing that every federal constituency in Nigeria should be involved and have a clear say on the content and aspects of the Constitution to be amended.

“Our proposal is that every federal constituency should constitute a panel of credible persons that would organise a public hearing and engage an extensive public consultation.

“This will involve Representatives of each of the following stakeholders in each constituency, namely the honourable member representing the constituency; civil society organisations, Nigerian Bar Association, labour unions, ASUU, youth organisations, women organisations, religious groups, media and other stakeholders as the committee on constitution review may think fit.

“These stakeholders will appoint their own representatives in the various constituencies. Furthermore, a template and details of the issues to be discussed would be worked out by the Committee on Constitution Review, following from memoranda already received from the public,” he stated.

http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/lead-stories/47821-nobody-can-intimidate-me-president-jonathan-tambuwal-talks-tough-on-budget-2012
Re: Nobody Can Intimidate Me - Jonathan by superior1: 7:19am On Sep 19, 2012
Jonathan has spent more time talking about invisible enemies than addressing developmental issues when appearing on public platforms. The other day, he was the most criticed president in the world, today Boko Haram Journalist are chasing him, does he want us to start singing his praises whereas he has done nothing to deserve such

5 Likes

Re: Nobody Can Intimidate Me - Jonathan by brightmon: 8:01am On Sep 19, 2012
Then why cant you fight corruption? Instead of this your catch and release, plea bargain, return 5 billion, keep 500 billion and go to jail a week.

1 Like

Re: Nobody Can Intimidate Me - Jonathan by Biggyd2: 8:13am On Sep 19, 2012
Jonathan alleged that the Occupy Nigeria anti-fuel subsidy removal mass protest, organised by civil society groups in Lagos in the wake of the removal of fuel subsidy in January, was manipulated by an unnamed class of people.

He said the protest was not a true reflection of the position of the masses but that of those who sponsored them.

But civil rights groups and an opposition party took a swipe at the President, saying he had alienated himself from the people.
]http://www.punchng.com/news/lagos-fuel-subsidy-protests-sponsored-jonathan/

The President particularly cited the protest that greeted the decision of his government to remove fuel subsidy in January in Lagos as an instance whereby some vested interests thought they could derail him.

The President said that the bulk of the protesters that were fed with bottled water, packaged food and entertained by a handful of artists at the time couldn’t have been the ordinary masses as the public were made to believe.
http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=99164:critics-cant-intimidate-me-says-jonathan-&catid=1:national&Itemid=559

SMH. Seriously, are there people paid to edit the presidents speeches?
Re: Nobody Can Intimidate Me - Jonathan by superior1: 8:28am On Sep 19, 2012
Biggyd2: Jonathan alleged that the Occupy Nigeria anti-fuel subsidy removal mass protest, organised by civil society groups in Lagos in the wake of the removal of fuel subsidy in January, was manipulated by an unnamed class of people.

He said the protest was not a true reflection of the position of the masses but that of those who sponsored them.

But civil rights groups and an opposition party took a swipe at the President, saying he had alienated himself from the people.

The President particularly cited the protest that greeted the decision of his government to remove fuel subsidy in January in Lagos as an instance whereby some vested interests thought they could derail him.

The President said that the bulk of the protesters that were fed with bottled water, packaged food and entertained by a handful of artists at the time couldn’t have been the ordinary masses as the public were made to believe.
http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=99164:critics-cant-intimidate-me-says-jonathan-&catid=1:national&Itemid=559

You are not the only one asking that question. It is just absurd that a president will be saying all these thrash in the open

1 Like

Re: Nobody Can Intimidate Me - Jonathan by sheyguy: 8:40am On Sep 19, 2012
See how GEJ is repeating what our Resident No1 Hypocrite tried to shove down the mind of NL during the subsidy struggle. . . this man is a real Ijaw president. . . not Urhobo, Not Isoko but a Ijaw one. It is clear who paid who to be doing what.
Re: Nobody Can Intimidate Me - Jonathan by gregg2: 8:43am On Sep 19, 2012
Biggyd2: Jonathan alleged that the Occupy Nigeria anti-fuel subsidy removal mass protest, organised by civil society groups in Lagos in the wake of the removal of fuel subsidy in January, was manipulated by an unnamed class of people.

[b]The President particularly cited the protest that greeted the decision of his government to remove fuel subsidy in January in Lagos as an instance whereby some vested interests thought they could derail him.

The President said that the bulk of the protesters that were fed with bottled water, packaged food and entertained by a handful of artists at the time couldn’t have been the ordinary masses as the public were made to believe. http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=99164:critics-cant-intimidate-me-says-jonathan-&catid=1:national&Itemid=559
[/b]

On this, GEJ might be right.
Re: Nobody Can Intimidate Me - Jonathan by Nobody: 8:46am On Sep 19, 2012
Mr President, please stop talking and do your job.

4 Likes

Re: Nobody Can Intimidate Me - Jonathan by superior1: 8:58am On Sep 19, 2012
gregg2:

On this, GEJ might be right.

You mean there is a politician(s) that has the ability to gather such a crowd
Re: Nobody Can Intimidate Me - Jonathan by ayox2003: 9:06am On Sep 19, 2012
Inasmuch as I don't like to discredit this administration, GEJ is the worst democratic president when it comes to PR.

These statement clearly shows how weak this man is.

How will you not be intimidated when Bode George is on your National Awards list?

How will you not be intimidated when you are busy eavesdropping on what others are saying about you and not doing your own job?

How will you not be intimidated when no criminal, I mean none of those theives have been jailed in your regime?

If you're really doing the very best and your being intimidated, then the people will stand by you. I say, if doing your best to give good governance nurtures such intimidation, God should make you intimidated - even much more intimidated.

Mea culpa, mea culpa mea maxima.

Do your work man and stop talking.

Frawzey

10 Likes

Re: Nobody Can Intimidate Me - Jonathan by Mandelaguy(m): 9:11am On Sep 19, 2012
You are the GCFR,mr president. No body has the powers to intimidate you,now or tomorrow. Ride on.
Re: Nobody Can Intimidate Me - Jonathan by Nobody: 9:20am On Sep 19, 2012
That is just the truth. Nobody can intimidate u
Re: Nobody Can Intimidate Me - Jonathan by Nobody: 9:21am On Sep 19, 2012
gregg2: On this, GEJ might be right.

Absolutely wrong.

1 Like

Re: Nobody Can Intimidate Me - Jonathan by Whizkay(m): 9:24am On Sep 19, 2012
well, his actions speak otherwise undecided

1 Like

Re: Nobody Can Intimidate Me - Jonathan by franksomitex: 9:25am On Sep 19, 2012
nobody at all

1 Like

Re: Nobody Can Intimidate Me - Jonathan by Kx: 9:25am On Sep 19, 2012
University under graduates makes this statement a lot.
Shocked that someone at the level of a presido can actually make this statement.
However, if he truly said this, has the presido started giving a damn?

1 Like

Re: Nobody Can Intimidate Me - Jonathan by adeoluwa90: 9:27am On Sep 19, 2012
I don't understand dis man..who is intimidating who? ...A man who is naive about nature of the crisis in his own country..SMH
Re: Nobody Can Intimidate Me - Jonathan by Nobody: 9:27am On Sep 19, 2012
Is it unseen forces or his and his cabinet's inefficiency? He sounds like a dictator, truly. There is nothing unseen about lack of basic necessities and infrastructure. We see it, and he's not delivering. Why complicate facts with "unseen forces"? Keep renaming schools.
Re: Nobody Can Intimidate Me - Jonathan by jeron1(m): 9:28am On Sep 19, 2012
Naija neva get president Ooº°˚...i weep for this country. He say dem stage manage the protest? I guess he's usin it to attack ACN. Abeg, this man needs good advisers
Re: Nobody Can Intimidate Me - Jonathan by duality(m): 9:30am On Sep 19, 2012

are you the dude who spoke on smooth 98.1 this morning?
Re: Nobody Can Intimidate Me - Jonathan by Tos87(m): 9:31am On Sep 19, 2012
wished am a President shocked cool For Ї won't be intimidated.
Re: Nobody Can Intimidate Me - Jonathan by Nobody: 9:36am On Sep 19, 2012
Dis broda jona matter don tire me Ooooooo!

E be like dat ur cowboy hat no dey allow you to reason well Ooo undecided

Come to think of it, must you wear dat hat everyday? Abi you na Banky W grin

Abeg make u face d work wey I give you and stop talking trash <sad

Why we no go protest wen you jst wake up early mormor dey increase fuel prize thereby causin increase in GARRI prize Abi u dondeymadt

Come bros, make I no vex wit u Oo, cos if I vex now ehnn I go organise my whole entire G nation from here to aso rock come cause gobe....

See as you do head like fisherman self shocked mtscheeeewwwwwwwww undecided nonsense president without no shoes, abeg go find shoe wear jooor grin

2 Likes

Re: Nobody Can Intimidate Me - Jonathan by GARRIx7(m): 9:36am On Sep 19, 2012
he has blamed those he called the “political media” for overheating the polity because of their interest in the politics of 2015.
This guy and his blame game. I think he'd perform better as a garri seller.....
grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nobody Can Intimidate Me - Jonathan by Nobody: 9:36am On Sep 19, 2012
This guys head is not correct at all at all!
Re: Nobody Can Intimidate Me - Jonathan by ifeci: 9:39am On Sep 19, 2012
How will you not be intimidated when Bode George is on your National Awards list?

that means soon, Shina Rambo will be GCON!
Re: Nobody Can Intimidate Me - Jonathan by Nobody: 9:39am On Sep 19, 2012
Whateva mahn! undecided
Re: Nobody Can Intimidate Me - Jonathan by Nobody: 9:40am On Sep 19, 2012
GARRI (x7):

This guy and his blame game. I think he'd perform better as a garri seller.....
grin grin grin grin grin grin
you are on ur own O!
If ever try appointing dis man to sell ur garri ehn, hmmm, ur bizness go rundown finish!

3 Likes

Re: Nobody Can Intimidate Me - Jonathan by DICKtator: 9:41am On Sep 19, 2012
Unseen forces?
Hmmmm...........
Schizophrenia!!!!
Madam sick,oga self don dey sick!!!
Wetin we go do?
grin grin grin grin
Re: Nobody Can Intimidate Me - Jonathan by superior1: 9:43am On Sep 19, 2012
[quote author=Garri_Activist]Dis broda jona matter don tire me Ooooooo!

E be like dat ur cowboy hat no dey allow you to reason well Ooo undecided

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nobody Can Intimidate Me - Jonathan by takedat(m): 9:45am On Sep 19, 2012
No one can intimidate him yet he is afraid of travelling to Borno and Yobe state for fear of boko haram.

5 Likes

Re: Nobody Can Intimidate Me - Jonathan by philip0906(m): 9:47am On Sep 19, 2012
this man needs to drink a pot of garri so that his eyes will clear. . .what da heck undecided
Re: Nobody Can Intimidate Me - Jonathan by honeric01(m): 9:49am On Sep 19, 2012
Chai... see president.. embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Osinbajo, Saraki, Dogara And APC Governors To Meet Today.. / Things That GEJ Has Done In Your City/state In 2 Years / Northern Groups Plot A Way Forward At The Annual Arewa Youth Leadership Summit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.