Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,895 members, 7,817,638 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:03 PM

The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki (10798 Views)

Most Beautiful Girls In Nigeria, The Fulanis (fulbe) Or The Igbos? / Fulani/fulbe Traditional Beliefs And Mythology / The Fulani (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki by Fulaman198(m): 5:15pm On Sep 19, 2012
Good evening everyone, I have decided to make a thread dedicated to my ethnic group the Fulani (Fulbe). I wanted to educate some people about the Fulani and various subgroups. MsDarkskin has already created a thread on one of the Fulani Mbororo Subgroups known as the Wodaabe, I will go further and discuss several other groups from other countries of West Africa, and other Mbororo groups as well besides the Wodaabe who have similar customs.

Anyways enjoy this thread. I will start it off with a Cameroonian/Nigerian Mbororo Fulani Gerewol ceremony slightly different from the Gerewol practiced by the Fulani Wodaabe Mbororo in Niger and Chad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whScUOYWHRw

As you can see Mbororo in Nigeria/Cameroon area from Adamawa to Kano regions Mala (cut bald) their hair as oppossed to the Mbororo in Niger and Chad who keep their hair (many Niger and Chad Mbororo Fulani who become urbanized however often cut their hair). In that video, the chants are the same. One famous Mbororo chant that you hear growing up as a Mbororo Fulani is "Nanaye" which means "hear me"

This is a very loud chant played during the Gerewol.

Often around this time of year (September) the Gerewol is often preceded by a great event called the "cure salée" which means the salt cure. In this event, nomads celebrate with traditional instruments. I will list the names in Fulfulde (Fulani language) and the translations in English.

Flute: Serredu (Northern Benin and Western Niger, Mali as well), Ndandalu (Nigeria and Cameroon), Odiiru (Eastern Niger and maybe Chad only)

Drum: Mbaggu

Here is a sample video of some Mbororo Fulani musicians paying tribute:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQJ5fHrce6o

This same flute is often used to announce the arrival of Laamu (the elder chiefs) in Non-nomadic Fulani communities like in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq5vIwTLRVg&
Re: The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki by Fulaman198(m): 5:16pm On Sep 19, 2012
I expect this to be a very long thread as I plan to cover Fulani groups in also Senegal, Mauritania, Gambia, etc. I urge those like MsDarkSkin and JallowBah to post and share their knowledge.

1 Like

Re: The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki by Fulaman198(m): 5:22pm On Sep 19, 2012
Gimi nder lessdi Burkina

Gimol Jalloh/Jallow/Diallo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rjzT61qLf0&

The name Jalloh/Diallo/Jallow (all the same name and pronunciation) is a common Fulani name in the far Western part of West Africa (Senegal, Gambia, Mali, Burkina Faso, Guinea, Sierra Leone, Liberia, etc.)

In this song, the Diallo/Jalloh/Jallow group are sang about. This song discusses the proper behaviour as a Fulani. A Fulani man never eats alone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SExQ1EuzKM

1 Like

Re: The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki by Fulaman198(m): 5:36pm On Sep 19, 2012
Fulani attire:

Fulani hat (Hufnere):

This hat is worn by Fulani in ALL regions, especially by those who are herdsmen. Today however, this hat has kind of become a thing of fashion but it is still worn mainly for herding purposes.

Fulbe Senegalbe: Everyone knows the renowned musician Baaba Maal, he is the voice of the Fulani (Lenyol Himbe Fulbe), I know my dear Thiendella wants to say He is "Haal-Pulaaren" but that just translates to a speaker of Fulani. The Haalpuular are just a sub-group of the Fulani who are of mixed origin (predominately Fulani). I have met a lot at KJPF. In this song, it confirms he's a Fulani (beware Westernized Fulani song that sings about Fulani culture and the people). The song is titled Fulani:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L-Cyn3SiVc

it starts of with "Bisimillah, Asaalaam Aliekum Bandiraabe Haal-pulaaren" however he mentions every Fulani region in the song
Re: The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki by Fulaman198(m): 5:42pm On Sep 19, 2012
Mbororo Fulani shirt (Togere pullo mbodaddo):

The bells worn on the ankles in Fulani language is known as "Akayoore" Sadly I can not find pictures of it online, so I will have to take a picture of one and upload it sometime. You see that in the first gerewol video I linked. It is worn usually for cattle. I guess in English it is called cowbells. English is my 3rd language so I could be wrong.
Re: The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki by Fulaman198(m): 6:56pm On Sep 19, 2012
Please unhide the hidden post
Re: The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki by Nobody: 9:05pm On Sep 19, 2012
I cant wait until you discuss fulani food.. cool

Interesting thread btw. Hopefully it wont be derailed like mine.

1 Like

Re: The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki by JallowBah(f): 10:46pm On Sep 19, 2012
Regarding the hat, this is my husbands hat, which he got from his uncle:
[img]http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg43/scaled.php?server=43&filename=dscf0350g.jpg&res=landing[/img]

He used one like this when he was younger as well, in the bush with his beloved cows.
In Gambia, its not too many cattle-men anymore, but they still take much pride in their cows. As my husband says; "my mother would rather sell her gold than to sell her own cows."
My husband grew up in Njamina, out in the bush, and started walking with his cattle from the age of 6 alone, and with his father from the age of three.
He would later carry his younger brothers on his back in the bush when they were tired, like the mothers do their babies.

When he was around 18, they moved to a village, mostly because one of the marabous discussed it with my husband and his father. They bought land there, and now have a compound with five houses, and around 32 cows. One is minewink My husband is a little sad though, as when he left, they had 60 cows. He was the main one taking care of them, even climbing trees to get them the sweetest fruit, and walking many Km just to get the best water.

When they butch the cow for food, f.ex for a marriage like they did for us last year, the save the tail for whipping away flies, and they also save the horns..I forgot to bring the horns home to EU, I want to make necklaces for the two of us as a memory. My husband had a five-day long fight with his mother last year about killing a cow in my honour, cause, as he said to the family; if she was a fulani-born woman, you would have said yes right away. This is WIFE.

My husbands favourite breakfast is millet. Its dried couscous, kind of, with sour milk, straight from the cow, that has been standing in a bucket for a few days..I really, really dont like it. Lol.
It tastes like sand and sour milk. Bahtongue He, and our kid, loooove it.

One of my favourite gambian dishes is Domoda/Maffe. Its peanutpaste and the meat of choice, plus the vegetables you wish to prepare it with as wellsmiley

Anyone want the line-up for cooking it??

This tread brings back memories, and gives me a little tears in my eyes..

2 Likes

Re: The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki by JallowBah(f): 11:01pm On Sep 19, 2012
[img]http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg411/scaled.php?server=411&filename=29595110150762867170440.jpg&res=landing[/img]

The fulani women, and men, are known for their beauty, and their view in beauty. This is my sister in law`s feet. She used henna, and it will stay for about two weeks time.
I am thinking about tattooing my feets like this..they do this for nothing special of occations, it is just part of their beauty.

[img]http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg513/scaled.php?server=513&filename=29800910150762874795440.jpg&res=landing[/img]
( From our wedding celebration )
This is during the butchering. They have to call on the village-butches to do it, as it is custom for them to have one special man for weddings, name-givings and funerals to do the praying in the name of Allah, and then cut the troath and let the cow bleed out.

The attach ropes to the cows feet in case he starts to jump, and as the cow dies it might cramp and move. They dig a hole under the cows neck for the blood to run in, and the butches have ONE knife he uses every time he butch.

[img]http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg38/scaled.php?server=38&filename=29861610150761559240440.jpg&res=landing[/img]

This attire for the babycows is quite normal in Gambia, I dont know for the rest of Africa.
They put this on so that the baby, who is now no longer a baby and has started to eat "normal" as well, dont take all the milk in the morning from the mother. If he tries to approach, it will sting the mother, leading her to push him away.

And this is the type of houses my husband grew up insmiley
Its made of cement and some cow-sh.it ( ! ), and the toilet is just a whole in the ground on the back. They shower with only a bucket of water, wich they pick up about 5km away.

smiley

1 Like

Re: The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki by odumchi: 11:07pm On Sep 19, 2012
Post revealed. Sorry for the inconvenience, Fulaman.

1 Like

Re: The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki by Fulaman198(m): 11:16pm On Sep 19, 2012
odumchi: Post revealed. Sorry for the inconvenience, Fulaman.

It's ok brother, I think it is the bot that does it.

Also nice pictures Jallowbah.

1 Like

Re: The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki by Fulaman198(m): 11:18pm On Sep 19, 2012
*Kails*:
I cant wait until you discuss fulani food.. cool

Interesting thread btw. Hopefully it wont be derailed like mine.

Thanks MsDarkSkin

1 Like

Re: The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki by Nobody: 11:24pm On Sep 19, 2012
What does the tattoos on the lady's feet mean? smiley
Re: The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki by Fulaman198(m): 11:25pm On Sep 19, 2012
*Kails*:
What does the tattoos on the lady's feet mean? smiley

It is a common practice in Islamized cultures to get feet hennaed for example in this Nigerian/Cameroonian Fulani song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAXhpFEjHFk
Re: The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki by JallowBah(f): 11:30pm On Sep 19, 2012
Fulaman198: Mbororo Fulani shirt (Togere pullo mbodaddo):

The bells worn on the ankles in Fulani language is known as "Akayoore" Sadly I can not find pictures of it online, so I will have to take a picture of one and upload it sometime. You see that in the first gerewol video I linked. It is worn usually for cattle. I guess in English it is called cowbells. English is my 3rd language so I could be wrong.

Yes, cowbellssmiley We made one for our kid last year, that she grew out of. Both me and her are gonna get a new one when we go backwink

They especially use it for hearing where the kids are.

1 Like

Re: The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki by Fulaman198(m): 11:36pm On Sep 19, 2012
JallowBah:

Yes, cowbellssmiley We made one for our kid last year, that she grew out of. Both me and her are gonna get a new one when we go backwink

They especially use it for hearing where the kids are.

Very true, you know a lot JallowBah, I'm proud of you
Re: The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki by BlackKenichi(m): 3:10am On Sep 21, 2012
Fulaman198: Gimi nder lessdi Burkina

Gimol Jalloh/Jallow/Diallo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rjzT61qLf0&

The name Jalloh/Diallo/Jallow (all the same name and pronunciation) is a common Fulani name in the far Western part of West Africa (Senegal, Gambia, Mali, Burkina Faso, Guinea, Sierra Leone, Liberia, etc.)

In this song, the Diallo/Jalloh/Jallow group are sang about. This song discusses the proper behaviour as a Fulani. A Fulani man never eats alone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SExQ1EuzKM

I love the first video. Life can't get any better than some dudes jammin' and chillin'
The second video is also pretty cool. West African Sahelian string instrument music sounds like reggae, blues, calypso and jazz.

Here's a reggae guitar solo 0:19-1:20. You can here the West African Sahelian influence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLDOpXqRtJw

Fulaman, I know you don't like "Western" music but give this vid a chance!
Re: The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki by BlackKenichi(m): 3:22am On Sep 21, 2012
Fulaman198: Fulani attire:

Fulani hat (Hufnere):

This hat is worn by Fulani in ALL regions, especially by those who are herdsmen. Today however, this hat has kind of become a thing of fashion but it is still worn mainly for herding purposes.

Fulbe Senegalbe: Everyone knows the renowned musician Baaba Maal, he is the voice of the Fulani (Lenyol Himbe Fulbe), I know my dear Thiendella wants to say He is "Haal-Pulaaren" but that just translates to a speaker of Fulani. The Haalpuular are just a sub-group of the Fulani who are of mixed origin (predominately Fulani). I have met a lot at KJPF. In this song, it confirms he's a Fulani (beware Westernized Fulani song that sings about Fulani culture and the people). The song is titled Fulani:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L-Cyn3SiVc

it starts of with "Bisimillah, Asaalaam Aliekum Bandiraabe Haal-pulaaren" however he mentions every Fulani region in the song

I want a Fulani straw hat! Also that song is f**king awesome. Senegambians are the best rappers in West Africa

1 Like

Re: The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki by BlackKenichi(m): 3:25am On Sep 21, 2012
Fulaman198: English is my 3rd language so I could be wrong.
What other languages do you speak?
Re: The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki by Fulaman198(m): 4:45am On Sep 21, 2012
Black Kenichi:
What other languages do you speak?

Hausa, Some Arabic, French and some Tamasheq
Re: The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki by Fulaman198(m): 4:46am On Sep 21, 2012
I will watch the song you linked black Kenichi. I need to post something valuable in this thread, I just don't know where to continue, because a thread dedicated to all Fulani can easily be 50 pages.
Re: The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki by Fulaman198(m): 5:01am On Sep 21, 2012
Types of food common to Fulani:

Mafe:

Re: The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki by JallowBah(f): 8:48am On Sep 21, 2012
Fulaman198: Types of food common to Fulani:

Mafe:

My way of cooking mafe/domoda:

You need:
Chicken or meat
the vegetales you prefer, I use carrots and yams
Spices; maggi, pepper, salt, barbequespice, curry
Peanutpaste
Tomatopaste
Floweroil
Rice

Warm up the casserole, put in the oil, some salt,one big spoon tomatopaste, 2 maggies, and drop in the meat and fry it good.
When the meat finish frying, put in water to cover the meat, put in the vegetales, and a little bit pepper as well.
When the meat and vegetales are finished cooking, put in about half a jar peanutpaste, mix it in good, and let the whole thing small-boil.
You will know its finished when the oil separete from the peanutpaste, and the whole thing is a little bit thick.

I am guessing everyone knows how to cook rice the african way.

Then, enjoysmiley
Re: The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:52am On Sep 21, 2012
nice thread brother Fula! keep posting! cheesy
Re: The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki by Nobody: 11:29pm On Sep 21, 2012
Black Kenichi:

I love the first video. Life can't get any better than some dudes jammin' and chillin'
The second video is also pretty cool. West African Sahelian string instrument music sounds like reggae, blues, calypso and jazz.

Here's a reggae guitar solo 0:19-1:20. You can here the West African Sahelian influence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLDOpXqRtJw

Fulaman, I know you don't like "Western" music but give this vid a chance!

True.

Also as far as dancing goes, although the congo and angola influenced us the most, our acrobatic moves also has roots in the sahelian region. i forgot which video fulaman posted but there was a young boy dancing and it reminded me of back home. smiley
Re: The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki by Nobody: 11:37pm On Sep 21, 2012
fula how do you say "eat" in fulani?
Re: The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki by JallowBah(f): 12:39am On Sep 22, 2012
*Kails*:

Njamo.

Or, come eat; arr njama.
Re: The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki by Nobody: 2:10am On Sep 22, 2012
*Kails*:

arr nyamm or gary niamm oh I think gary niamm is serer.
Re: The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki by Fulaman198(m): 5:19am On Sep 22, 2012
thiendella:
arr nyamm or gary niamm oh I think gary niamm is serer.

It is Nyam
Re: The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki by Fulaman198(m): 5:28am On Sep 22, 2012
JallowBah:

Njamo.

Or, come eat; arr njama.

Jamo means something different in my dialect of fulani. In my dialect it means how someone is feeling or doing?

For example, "how are you?" "a jaamo?"

and Jamma means evening or the night. "see you this evening" - "Sey jamma"
Re: The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki by JallowBah(f): 7:51am On Sep 22, 2012
Fulaman198:

Jamo means something different in my dialect of fulani. In my dialect it means how someone is feeling or doing?

For example, "how are you?" "a jaamo?"

and Jamma means evening or the night. "see you this evening" - "Sey jamma"

I elieve its written with an Y instead of J..my badwink The word sounds the same for me, as I have only learned by listening, not reading..

So its nyamo, not njamo. And arr nyama.
Re: The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki by Nobody: 9:21am On Sep 22, 2012
Fulaman198:

It is Nyam

Oooooooh my gaaaaaaawd! That is how we say eat in jamaica!
cheesy cheesy i just needed the confirmation.

thats cool.

(1) (2) (Reply)

New Olubadan To Be Called Aje Ogungunniso 1 / My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria / Why We’ll Continue To Promote Sango Festival – Alaafin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.