Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,011 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:04 AM

The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki (10799 Views)

Most Beautiful Girls In Nigeria, The Fulanis (fulbe) Or The Igbos? / Fulani/fulbe Traditional Beliefs And Mythology / The Fulani (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki by patanjaly: 12:01pm On Sep 22, 2012
Mi homni bandirabe amin fulbe.jaymirawoo wallan on.(fulfulde gombe).

2 Likes

Re: The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki by Nobody: 6:08pm On Sep 22, 2012
Fulaman198:

Jamo means something different in my dialect of fulani. In my dialect it means how someone is feeling or doing?

For example, "how are you?" "a jaamo?"

and Jamma means evening or the night. "see you this evening" - "Sey jamma"

lol
Re: The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki by Nobody: 6:15pm On Sep 22, 2012
don't want to derail the thread but here are a two more words we got from the fulani that i know of.

juk (jukka) and fi cool
Re: The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki by Tolaaaaannni(f): 7:47pm On Sep 22, 2012
Interesting thread, Its very fascinating to learn about other cultures. Especially some culture that you think you know

some things about and then you end up finding out that you really don't know much. smiley
Re: The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki by Fulaman198(m): 2:11am On Sep 23, 2012
*Kails*:

Oooooooh my gaaaaaaawd! That is how we say eat in jamaica!
cheesy cheesy i just needed the confirmation.

thats cool.

Fulani people who were taking as slaves to Jamaica must have brought that terminology
Re: The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki by Fulaman198(m): 2:11am On Sep 23, 2012
patanjaly: Mi homni bandirabe amin fulbe.jaymirawoo wallan on.(fulfulde gombe).

Barka ma pullo, mi hinni ma, yo alla yaaru yonki yesso.
Re: The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki by Fulaman198(m): 2:13am On Sep 23, 2012
JallowBah:

I elieve its written with an Y instead of J..my badwink The word sounds the same for me, as I have only learned by listening, not reading..

So its nyamo, not njamo. And arr nyama.

Yes Jallow that is correct "Nyamo" from Yamugol (to eat)

1 Like

Re: The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki by patanjaly: 1:36pm On Sep 23, 2012
@fula mi don nana beldum masin iri aade fulbe bodgal da a don hollanki e forumji di. Cöntinue wit d good job.

1 Like

Re: The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki by Fulaman198(m): 12:40am On Sep 24, 2012
patanjaly: @fula mi don nana beldum masin iri aade fulbe bodgal da a don hollanki e forumji di. Cöntinue wit d good job.

Mi yetti ma pullo derdam, Allah sabinane
Re: The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki by Nobody: 4:58am On Sep 24, 2012
Fulaman198:

Fulani people who were taking as slaves to Jamaica must have brought that terminology

lol that's what i am saying. grin
Re: The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki by Fulaman198(m): 6:10pm On Sep 30, 2012
The best known Fula speaker in the world and best known Fulani musician Baaba Maal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7xmEJelVoc

Thiendella, at 9:00 he says "He is a Rebel, he is a Fulani" so what does that tell you

1 Like

Re: The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:30pm On Sep 30, 2012
Baaba Maal gives interview to BBC.?! now that is something new!
Re: The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki by Fulaman198(m): 8:37pm On Sep 30, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:
Baaba Maal gives interview to BBC.?! now that is something new!

It's his second time, the first time he gave an interview to a Pakistani guy who works for BBC.
Re: The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:01pm On Sep 30, 2012
ah i see. was it the reporter by the name of fareed zakaria? the one who fell into trouble recently for plagarising?
Re: The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki by Nobody: 10:49pm On Sep 30, 2012
Fulaman198: The best known Fula speaker in the world and best known Fulani musician Baaba Maal:

Thiendella, at 9:00 he says "He is a Rebel, he is a Fulani" so what does that tell you
Just to charm the fulani public , if he was worldwide famous he would have called himself "toucouleur" smiley
Re: The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki by Fulaman198(m): 8:33am On Oct 01, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:
ah i see. was it the reporter by the name of fareed zakaria? the one who fell into trouble recently for plagarising?

I don't remember his name sorry
Re: The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki by Fulaman198(m): 8:34am On Oct 01, 2012
thiendella:
Just to charm the fulani public , if he was worldwide famous he would have called himself "toucouleur" smiley

Ok my dear, it seems you won't fall back and retreat on this matter
Re: The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki by Nobody: 10:34am On Oct 01, 2012
Fulaman198:

Ok my dear, it seems you won't fall back and retreat on this matter
Believe me or not this is the truth, these people don't want to be classified as fulani unless for political, like population census matters or so, they are the only sectarian people in senegal, go to matam and call an old man fulani, you will get ur answer , toucouleurs who are not fulanis despise them. In census they are counted as a different group while all other fulanis are put together
Re: The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki by Nobody: 6:09pm On Oct 01, 2012
G
Re: The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki by Nobody: 6:12pm On Oct 01, 2012
*Kails*:
don't want to derail the thread but here are a two more words we got from the fulani that i know of.

juk (jukka) and fi cool
What do these terms mean in yr language?

1 Like

Re: The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki by Fulaman198(m): 6:21pm On Oct 01, 2012
thiendella:
Believe me or not this is the truth, these people don't want to be classified as fulani unless for political, like population census matters or so, they are the only sectarian people in senegal, go to matam and call an old man fulani, you will get ur answer , toucouleurs who are not fulanis despise them. In census they are counted as a different group while all other fulanis are put together

That's terrible my dear, I am going to save money and go on my Sahel/Sahara tour hopefully soon Inshallah and should stop by Senegal/Mauritania. Communication will be slightly rough and Nigerian Fulani and Senegalese Fulani language isn't 100% the same

Pular Fouta-Tooro (Senegal, Mauritania), Pular Fouta Djallon (Sierra Leone, Guinea Conakry, Guinea Bissau and parts of Gambia and Southern Senegal near Casamance) are more mutually intelligible. Here in Nigeria we are part of Fulfulde Fombina (Nigeria, Niger, Chad, Cameroon, Central African republic).

Hopefully you will go with me my fiancé lol
Re: The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki by Nobody: 9:14pm On Mar 15, 2013
sorry for the late response.
I was just talking about this topic on another thread.

anyway,

thiendella:
What do these terms mean in yr language?

Juk means to "poke".
and fi depending on the context means "to" or "for".
Re: The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki by LostinDiaspora(m): 10:16pm On Nov 03, 2013
These forum posts are tough for someone like me. I am Fulani, Hausa, Tuareg, Ashanti, Korean, Irish, English, French, Spanish, Russian, and Scandinavian. Yes, you guessed it, I'm a black American. I love my African roots and I tend to gravitate toward my Hausa/Fulani heritage, probably because when I'm in Africa most people assume just by looking at me that that is what I am. I want to learn the languages of the Hausa and Fulani, so when people walk up to me and start talking perhaps I could understand a little of what they say. Of course, the only reason I know the majority of my admixture is DNA, then from some stories passed down and census records (in America and Mexico). I know all I need to know about my other heritage(s), but I do not have the same knowledge when it comes to my Fulani, Hausa, Tuareg, and Ashanti ancestry. It is mine, and I'm coming for it! So can anyone suggest a path to understanding? I would appreciate it. I understand that there are some (maybe many) who will say I'm not really African and that's ok. I am ready for those kinds of comments as well. Thanks
Re: The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki by Fulaman198(m): 10:48pm On Nov 03, 2013
LostinDiaspora: These forum posts are tough for someone like me. I am Fulani, Hausa, Tuareg, Ashanti, Korean, Irish, English, French, Spanish, Russian, and Scandinavian. Yes, you guessed it, I'm a black American. I love my African roots and I tend to gravitate toward my Hausa/Fulani heritage, probably because when I'm in Africa most people assume just by looking at me that that is what I am. I want to learn the languages of the Hausa and Fulani, so when people walk up to me and start talking perhaps I could understand a little of what they say. Of course, the only reason I know the majority of my admixture is DNA, then from some stories passed down and census records (in America and Mexico). I know all I need to know about my other heritage(s), but I do not have the same knowledge when it comes to my Fulani, Hausa, Tuareg, and Ashanti ancestry. It is mine, and I'm coming for it! So can anyone suggest a path to understanding? I would appreciate it. I understand that there are some (maybe many) who will say I'm not really African and that's ok. I am ready for those kinds of comments as well. Thanks

The only way to understand ones culture is to immerse oneself in that culture. Perhaps seek Hausa people, Ashanti people, Fulbe (Fulani) people, and Tuareg people to make close friends with. Learn aspects of the culture from them so that when you travel abroad from America, you can learn. I don't know. That is how i learned about Western culture personally.

1 Like

Re: The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki by LostinDiaspora(m): 2:42am On Nov 05, 2013
Thank you for your wise counsel. I plan to do just that and I will just have to deal with my fear of rejection. Thank you.
Re: The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki by mamabowe(m): 12:03pm On Jul 13, 2014
Fulaman198: The best known Fula speaker in the world and best known Fulani musician Baaba Maal:

he is haalpular not real fulani when speaking about the fulani you should diffrentiate between the noble fulani, the cultural fulani who adopted the language. and also the jiyaabhe(former slaves.)
Re: The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki by Nobody: 7:09am On May 29, 2016
This thread is so informative! I recently did an ancestry DNA test and have been trying to find information on the Fulani culture and it has proven to be quite difficult. I am overwhelmed with gratitude to everyone that has shared and plan to share this information with my family here in the United States.
Re: The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki by Nobody: 7:18am On May 29, 2016
Lostindiaspora, Our ancestors were misplaced and quite literally had our heritage beaten out of them, but we through the power of modern science and DNA are finding our way back and reclaiming what was stolen from us due to slavery... our heritage. Finding out who my ancestors were helped me figure out who I am today. My nose is neither European nor considered "black'' so my black friends thought I looked weird and so did whites. Finding my ancestors tribe and seeing them with my face I know I am truly African and I am so proud of the way I look. Don't fear rejection from anyone, we are the products of African's that fought to live so that we could one day find our way back "home". Keep researching I literally have been researching for five years and don't plan to stop!

(1) (2) (Reply)

30 Awesome Old People With Tattoos, How Will Your Tattoo Look (PHOTO) / New Olubadan To Be Called Aje Ogungunniso 1 / My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.