Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,858 members, 7,810,287 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:35 AM

Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos (8898 Views)

Bayelsa Bombing & Water Pollution: When Did Nigerians Become This silly? / Yarima Took Clerics To Jonathan To Pray For Peace / Cleanup Of Oil Pollution In Ogoniland Will Cost $1Billion And Take 30 Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos by Biggyd2: 7:24am On Sep 24, 2012
The Lagos State Governor Babatunde Fashola is to meet with religious leaders to address noise polution in the state.

The General Manager of the Lagos State Environmental Protection Agency, Mr. Rasheed Shabi, stated this at Amuwo Odofin Local Government on Friday during the inaugural campaign against pollution, especially noise, at the grassroots.

Shabi said, “Governor Fashola will in the next few weeks invite the league of Imams and church leaders to his office to address noise pollution in the state.

“We need to know how many religious houses we have in every local government. The local governments should be able to meet with these religious bodies twice in a year to stem noise pollution.

“Excessive exposure to noise can lead to deafness and eyes defect. You cannot open mosques and churches in residential areas and disturb others; we can’t take that. We want to work with you to curb this.

“The Local Government should call all these people together and use the language they understand to pass the message across to them. You have the responsibility to mobilise your people and tell them what the government wants.”

Shabi explained that LASEPA was using the campaign to strengthen its collaboration with 57 councils in the state to combat industrial and noise pollution.

He lamented that noise pollution had been giving the state government serious concern, saying the agency receives between 10 and 15 petitions on noise pollution daily.

The LASEPA boss told Amuwo Odofin council officials led by the Secretary to the local government, Shade Ajao, and the Manager, Segun Ajao, that Fashola had directed the agency to partner with councils in the state to curb industrial and noise pollution.

He said, “Pollution has been a problem to the state. Close to 60 per cent of pollution comes from the over 3, 000 industries we have in the state.

“In Amuwo-Odofin, we have close to 300 industries. Also, there are about 33 water receiving points in the state and all are highly polluted. We need to give out a cleaner environment to the next generation.”

Shabi urged the councils to sensitise the people on the danger of indescriminate dumping of e-waste.

“The way you dispose solid waste is different from the way you dispose e-waste. A television set contains lots of chemicals that are dangerous to health.

“E-waste is killing lots of people gradually. Meet with people selling generators, television sets and other electronic gadgets and sensitise them on the danger of e-waste,” he said.

http://www.punchng.com/news/fashola-clerics-to-tackle-noise-pollution/
Re: Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos by Biggyd2: 9:55am On Sep 24, 2012
Would anything come out of this? The state has been talking about this for so long. https://www.nairaland.com/361263/shackled-laws-noise-pollution
Re: Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos by k2039: 2:23pm On Sep 24, 2012
He forgot to add the noise generated by generators.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos by Nobody: 2:33pm On Sep 24, 2012
Sign of....?
Re: Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos by Nobody: 2:36pm On Sep 24, 2012
Subscribing. This is a great development.

I hope they stick to it. The environment should and must be protected.
Re: Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos by omiobo: 2:38pm On Sep 24, 2012
No be only clerics,conductors join o!

1 Like

Re: Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos by Nobody: 2:48pm On Sep 24, 2012
oluface: Sign of....?
Tithe reduction.
Good noiseless sleep at night.
Night vigil without mic..
Re: Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos by Scarpon(m): 2:53pm On Sep 24, 2012
so noise don become crime
Re: Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos by eduson55(m): 3:06pm On Sep 24, 2012
Bhahahaha..7 point agenda
Re: Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos by Frendys(m): 3:09pm On Sep 24, 2012
"You cannot open mosques and churches in residential areas and disturb others; we can’t take that."- Mr Rasheed Shabi

So mosques and Churches should be located in the bush or what?

I relocated from Isolo to outside Lagos because of the unbearable noise pollution from local and foreign aircraft that fly over our area and the sound from Musical stores, generators and the various cries of Bus Conductors, yet nothing is being done about these noise(s).

Except for Mr. Shabi who may choose to worship "eboora" under some greeen trees in the bush, there is nothing wrong having churches and mosques in residential cum industrial areas in the cities, towns or villages. The only thing required is for the Lagos State Govt to liaise with these institutions to limit their message to their main audience within their places of worship without disturbing those outside.

I call this a pragmatic approach to solving a challenge: R[b][/b]elocate the Aiports from the city centre, ban musical studios from blarring musics or messages, educte conductors and provide 24hours electricity to the poeple.

When these measures are in place the religious leaders will begin to see the need to cooperate with the govt at reducing their noise level, which most people are not comfortable with.

1 Like

Re: Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos by cfours: 3:15pm On Sep 24, 2012
kudos to him
Re: Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos by Siga: 3:15pm On Sep 24, 2012
Ahhh....if the noise level for Lagos suddenly reduce to zero....all man go run ooo...cos dem go think something bad dey happen.... grin ....But for real...they need to cut it down....everyone is responsible....even Fashola and hin boys with all dem sirens
Re: Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos by Nobody: 3:28pm On Sep 24, 2012
Pls He should start with Yoruba BUS conductors, these guys are tooo noisy. Ojuelegbaaa...Obelendeeee.....CMSSSSS grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos by busayochic: 3:29pm On Sep 24, 2012
Please someone help me.... MFM beside my house at Okota is almost driving me crazy!!!!
They hold night vigils with mega phones blarring from 10pm -5am regardless the day of the week
We hardly have peace on my close....all we hear everyday is die! die!! somersault and dieeeeee!!!!

5 Likes

Re: Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos by Nobody: 3:31pm On Sep 24, 2012
busayochic: Please someone help me.... MFM beside my house at Okota is almost driving me crazy!!!!
They hold night vigils with mega phones blarring from 10pm -5am regardless the day of the week
We hardly have peace on my close....all we hear everyday is die! die!! somersault and dieeeeee!!!!

You be winch?? grin grin grin
Re: Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos by lacasa: 3:39pm On Sep 24, 2012
Fashola 4 President abbeeeeeegii!!

cool

1 Like

Re: Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos by Emmykeyz(m): 3:47pm On Sep 24, 2012
edallz: My fellow niaja go to kangpe.tv
Watch hundreds of nigeria/ nollywood movies for free
sad
Re: Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos by Pukkah: 3:56pm On Sep 24, 2012
Scarpon: so noise don become crime

Of course any noise that is higher than a certain decibel is a crime. Your right of speech ends at the point that it starts to disturb another person.

I can see that your comment appears innocent but ignorance is not an excuse under the law. It is ignorance like this that makes people throw parties (birthday, burial, house-warming, etc) with reckless abandon and blare music to the high heavens at residential places in the name of celebration and felicitation. Consequently, they rob people of peace at night and even during the day.

Religious houses too do not help matters. They mount big loudspeakers at residential areas and compete with one another on who can make the loudest noise. It is very sad and it is fast becoming part of the people's lifestyle. Microphones and loudspeakers, that generate the highest decibels, are constant items on their 'fixed assets schedule'. The hapless citizens who complain are labelled 'enemies of progress' or 'devilish persons'.

The power generating sets, which many times power the loudspeakers at both the parties and the religious houses, have also become a menace. They rob people of good sleep at night and peace during the day. They also exhume poisonous gases which instalmentally, or immediately, kill Nigerians.

The hawkers of traditional medicine at motor parks and busy bus stops who use loud megaphones to peddle their trade, the bus conductors that shout 'Oooshodi oooooo' with the veins in their necks threatening to burst, the retailers of Nigerian music who play the music from shops, stalls and even wheel barrows, the 'okada' riders, commercial bus drivers and private motorists that blare their horns at will and persistently, the 'shoe shiner/repairer' who announce his presence by clanging a metal on his box... all combine to make the Nigerian space a very noisy one. Don't even pray to be beside a 911 truck when the driver decides to let out his anger by putting his hand on the horn.

Enter a typical fast food restaurant, or even a barber's shop, in Lagos or Benin city and you would be welcomed by a blast of noise. Even on the streets while conversing on the phone, or even those bus preachers inside intra/inter-city buses, Nigerians seem to generally generate noise. Some old cars and 'okadas' are also 'automatic' noise generators - they are old, banging, clanging and smoky!

Any government that wants to tackle this noise from different sources which has become a cankerworm must be ready to work on it persistently and also carry the people along through a massive re-orientation. All in all, this is a good one from Fashola.

3 Likes

Re: Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos by emekatimsu(m): 3:57pm On Sep 24, 2012
CHESSBOARD:

You be winch?? grin grin grin
Ds is nt a winch matter ,what is bad is bad.
Hw person go carry microphone mount for road dey cause public distubance all in d name of evangelization.
All ds religious noise pollution shuld be restricted within the fall walls of d premises.
I wish other states in Nigerai will also emulate ds type of initiative from lagos..i am tired of living in a noisey enviroment,noises emanating frm d sound of a mega phone and loud speaker of a church opposite my house.
If it wia only sunday i won't have botherd bt dia activities holds evryday of the week.

1 Like

Re: Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos by Pukkah: 4:01pm On Sep 24, 2012
busayochic: Please someone help me.... MFM beside my house at Okota is almost driving me crazy!!!!

Have you guys done anything about the problem, e.g. discussing with them or reporting them to LASEPA?
Re: Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos by Sirmee(m): 4:08pm On Sep 24, 2012
Siga: Ahhh....if the noise level for Lagos suddenly reduce to zero....all man go run ooo...cos dem go think something bad dey happen.... grin ....But for real...they need to cut it down....everyone is responsible....even Fashola and hin boys with all dem sirens

when and where did u see or hear Fashola's convoy blaring siren?
Re: Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos by ignis: 4:23pm On Sep 24, 2012
Biggyd2: Would anything come out of this? The state has been talking about this for so long. https://www.nairaland.com/361263/shackled-laws-noise-pollution
Sure, if he is determined.
Re: Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos by Venchy: 4:34pm On Sep 24, 2012
Umm about time the Government sort out this of Noise making all in the name of God.

It use to be the Mosque but the Churches are worst than flight pollution.

Complete mess.....all this money making ventures.
Re: Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos by OCHULORC(m): 4:34pm On Sep 24, 2012
Good move by the Governor. Abeg after this one focus your attention on those that do street parties and put road blocks. If they can afford to sponsor a party, they should be able to also budget for halls for thier parties.the thing dey worry too mucch Abeg
Re: Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos by Venchy: 4:40pm On Sep 24, 2012
Pukkah:

Have you guys done anything about the problem, e.g. discussing with them or reporting them to LASEPA?

That's true, we over do things and we are the worst creature....Nigerians full of deceit ....very very disrespect behaviour towards your neighbour, I guess that's why Prayers is not always answer by God ontime
Re: Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos by Nobody: 4:41pm On Sep 24, 2012
As early as 4:45 this morning there were at least 5 different people screaming their lungs out on my street and neighbourinf streets. All had the same message. At 5am the muslim guys joined the chorus.

Although, my alarm goes off at 4:30am the last thing I want is for some group of unrepentant religious twerps bugging me that early in the day.

I'm sick to the bones what theese lunks put me through.

Ban the bloody schleps and let me get some sleep.
Re: Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos by chytai(f): 4:54pm On Sep 24, 2012
Dis fashola sef, we still dey talk of how he load people 4 3 trailers come dump 4 upper iweka in Onitsha, now he wan reduce noise 4 lagos. Wetin he wan prove sef? How can he deport people in their own country, they are now refugees in their country. Act of wickness!!!
Re: Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos by Biggyd2: 5:00pm On Sep 24, 2012
[quote author=Pukkah]

Some beggars even use mics to beg! shocked shocked shocked
Re: Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos by Clemzy16(m): 5:02pm On Sep 24, 2012
Propangada! Propangada! Propangada! All na wash! Policies like this cannot even work in other developed countries, not to talk of Nigeria. Noise polution ko! Noise polution ni! Mcheew..
Re: Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos by naptu2: 5:39pm On Sep 24, 2012
The law was first enforced back when Muiz Banire was commissioner. He said a study revealed that most kids in Lagos public schools suffer from one form of hearing impairment or the other. He also said that he would have been guilty of violating the law because the noise from the electricity generator in his house was above the limit. He had to have it sound-proofed.

Lots of churches, mosques, nightclubs, bars and factories in Lagos have been warned or shut because of noise pollution.

The Lagos branch of the Christian Association of Nigeria has partnered with the government to ensure compliance with the law. Some churches sent out circulars to their branches to remove external speakers and where possible, sound proof their halls.

If you've got any issues with noise pollution in your neighbourhood, you can lodge a complaint using any of these addresses/numbers

1) Fill the complaints form on this link http://www.moelagos.org/desk.php?who=lasepa

2) (I've misplaced the complaints desk phone numbers, but these are the numbers for enquiries)
LASEPA
Secretariat Complex, Alausa, Ikeja, Lagos

+234 1 4979030-9 (10 Lines), (Ext. 4818, 4067), 4930280-81(2 Lines)

Zip:  21402, Ikeja

Fax:  +234 1 4930280

Contact Person:  Enquiries Officer

4) http://www.moelagos.org/contact.php

publicaffairs@moelagos.org

1 Like

Re: Fashola, Clerics To Tackle Noise Pollution In Lagos by bigass(f): 6:00pm On Sep 24, 2012
JEHOVAH WITNESS KINGDOM HALLS DONT NOISE POLLUTE

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nine APC, PNP, PDP Lawmakers Defect To LP In Ogun / Igbo Presidency: Ohanaeze Replies Oluwo Of Iwo, Says Accusations Untrue / 87 Million PVCs Collected Says INEC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.