Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,774 members, 7,817,170 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:39 AM

LASTMA Musn't Drive Impounded Vehicles - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / LASTMA Musn't Drive Impounded Vehicles (5721 Views)

LASTMA Official, Army Cadet & Police In A Brawl In Lagos Today (Pics) / Apc’s Lawyer Beaten, Arrested And Car Impounded At Enugu Governorship Tribunal / Pictures of Russian Cargo Plane impounded in Kano and its consignment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

LASTMA Musn't Drive Impounded Vehicles by Mannylex(m): 7:44am On Sep 26, 2012
LASTMA has no right to drive impounded vehicles’
September 26, 2012 by Agency Reporter

Lagos State Commissioner for Transportation, Mr. Kayode Opeifa, on Tuesday said officials of the State Traffic Management Authority had no right to drive impounded vehicles.

Opeifa made the disclosure in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria in Lagos.

He said, “It is unlawful for LASTMA officials to drive vehicles that contravened the law, except the arrested motorist resisted arrest or has no drivers’ licence- which is the only guarantee for any driver to be on the road.

“We have been hearing reports of our men driving arrested vehicles. In the course of driving the vehicle, if there is an accident, the officer involved will be held responsible.

“My advice is that when a vehicle is arrested, the offender should cooperate by coming to Alausa to redress the issue, which at times, after scrutiny, the offender may be allowed to go without any punishment.”

He also advised LASTMA officials to stop chasing unruly motorists, but rather, book their vehicles.

The commissioner explained that such vehicles could be traced to the owner’s home with the newly introduced automated vehicle licensing and renewal system, also known as AutoReg.

Opeifa lamented that some motorists, especially commercial bus operators, are in the habit of fighting LASTMA officials, while some even make attempt to crush them.

http://www.punchng.com/news/lastma-has-no-right-to-drive-impounded-vehicles/
Re: LASTMA Musn't Drive Impounded Vehicles by Demdem(m): 9:00am On Sep 26, 2012
Mannylex:

“My advice is that when a vehicle is arrested, the offender should cooperate by coming to Alausa to redress the issue, which at times, after scrutiny, the offender may be allowed to go without any punishment.”

Does this ever happen? Peeps dread going to their offices because ur case is more or less settled and guilty u are if u do
Re: LASTMA Musn't Drive Impounded Vehicles by Kslib(m): 9:03am On Sep 26, 2012
Mannylex: “We have been hearing reports of our men driving arrested vehicles. In the course of driving the vehicle, if there is an accident, the officer involved will be held responsible.

http://www.punchng.com/news/lastma-has-no-right-to-drive-impounded-vehicles/
What if there is no accident involved?
Re: LASTMA Musn't Drive Impounded Vehicles by Nobody: 9:11am On Sep 26, 2012
Officially said, but not obeyed.

1 Like

Re: LASTMA Musn't Drive Impounded Vehicles by Nobody: 9:14am On Sep 26, 2012
All these glorified agbero touts aka LASTMA would never allow the owners of the cars drive by themsleves! You need to see how they snatch the keys and jump into the cars when they make an arrest! Bloody riff-raffs! undecided
Re: LASTMA Musn't Drive Impounded Vehicles by Okijajuju1(m): 9:25am On Sep 26, 2012
It is called Criminal Tresspass Not even the police has the right to enter your car except its an arrest.. And even if it is, he arrests you, and takes you to the station in his car, and then calls for a tow van to remove your vehicle..
Re: LASTMA Musn't Drive Impounded Vehicles by calabaman(m): 9:29am On Sep 26, 2012
Story Story! Storrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyy
Re: LASTMA Musn't Drive Impounded Vehicles by Nobody: 9:33am On Sep 26, 2012
Office ke? trust me guys if your car goes there, they will make sure they collect atleast 5k from you. Who pays visit to hell fire and back. Nobody. Once you are in, you are in. No coming out free. Imagine people that are worst than police.
Re: LASTMA Musn't Drive Impounded Vehicles by Ournaija: 9:34am On Sep 26, 2012
Shut your mouth up Mr Commissioner. Go and rehabilitate those touts in uniform first before making political statement. Come to the battle field (road) and see how your men are disgracing Lagos state.
Re: LASTMA Musn't Drive Impounded Vehicles by texazzpete(m): 10:04am On Sep 26, 2012
Mannylex:
The commissioner explained that such vehicles could be traced to the owner’s home with the newly introduced automated vehicle licensing and renewal system, also known as AutoReg.

So basically, LASTMA and the Nigerian police can now note down reg numbers of exotic cars and lead Armed robbers to your house

Good times, eh? cheesy
Re: LASTMA Musn't Drive Impounded Vehicles by Chinom(m): 10:04am On Sep 26, 2012
This commissioner is a very funny man. He is talking from his azzhole because he does not have to experience these animals called LASTMA in person.
Once you move with them from the spot where you were accosted, you're toast. The first thing they do when your vehicle gets to their office is to deflate the tyres. If you were to settle with N1k on the road, it will now be N5k because the thieveing oga at the office will become involved. I now carry a baseball bat in my car waitng for them.If i commit a traffic offence, i will pay my fine without probs. Any unneccessary harassment will be met with total war. THEY HAVE TO OBEY THE LAW TOO.

1 Like

Re: LASTMA Musn't Drive Impounded Vehicles by ogele: 10:19am On Sep 26, 2012
The Lagos state commissioner is talking rubbish....His boys are collecting money on daily basis..Go to Ojota and see things for yourself... What a shame you are heading an angency that is known for thugrey...touts...Those guys smell weeds...
Re: LASTMA Musn't Drive Impounded Vehicles by kufreabasi(m): 10:48am On Sep 26, 2012
Okija_juju: It is called Criminal Tresspass Not even the police has the right to enter your car except its an arrest.. And even if it is, he arrests you, and takes you to the station in his car, and then calls for a tow van to remove your vehicle..

True work. It is always annoying seeing hooligans jumping inside ones vehlicle with knowing what they are doing. They need to be trained and retrain for the job.
Re: LASTMA Musn't Drive Impounded Vehicles by niggaman(m): 11:59am On Sep 26, 2012
my advise to fellow Lgosians is that in as much as u have the time follow them to their office, sometimes the fine for offences is far less than than wat they extort from u wen u try to avoid it including all the begging u put top of it. Its even good that Govt has said its an offence for any LASTMA official to try drive impounded cars, am going to show those sonofabitch(es)that Lagos belongs to us all
Re: LASTMA Musn't Drive Impounded Vehicles by 2mch(m): 12:05pm On Sep 26, 2012
They should add storage fees to the impounded cars and if after 6months the owner has not come for it, they should declare it abandoned and auction the damn cars. cool
Re: LASTMA Musn't Drive Impounded Vehicles by Exponental(m): 1:17pm On Sep 26, 2012
Every vehicle needs a demobilizer installed, known only 2 d driver.

Infact........when u see a lastma, pin down, wind up and ensure u dont get down of d car.
Re: LASTMA Musn't Drive Impounded Vehicles by owoski: 1:26pm On Sep 26, 2012
Ournaija:

Guy how come you have not got a buyer for this your two plots of land if it`s for real? undecided

It is for real my brother, please contact us for further details, i will be happy to show you all the documents and also the site of the property involved just to clear your doubt.
Re: LASTMA Musn't Drive Impounded Vehicles by Voned(f): 3:27pm On Sep 26, 2012
All these people and their lip service. angry
Re: LASTMA Musn't Drive Impounded Vehicles by Okijajuju1(m): 3:46pm On Sep 27, 2012
delete
Re: LASTMA Musn't Drive Impounded Vehicles by onyx79(m): 9:00pm On Sep 27, 2012
I absolutely agree with Okija. This topic shd be deleted. Pure crap
Re: LASTMA Musn't Drive Impounded Vehicles by Mannylex(m): 4:45pm On Sep 28, 2012
onyx79: I absolutely agree with Okija. This topic shd be deleted. Pure crap

Delete naw. Heediot.

(1) (Reply)

Shocking: “we Cloned Shekau” – Boko Haram Reveal In New Video / Donald Trump In Early Lead As America Votes - See States He Has Won Already / Ojukwu Lied To Our People (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.