Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,273 members, 7,957,670 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 05:15 PM

Maku Apologises To Senate Over Statement - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Maku Apologises To Senate Over Statement (9813 Views)

Kachikwu Answering Questions At Senate Over Fuel Scarcity (Photos) / Akpabio Refuses To Apologise To Goje In The Senate Over Comment / Drama At Senate Over Buhari's #5000 Promise To Unemployed Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maku Apologises To Senate Over Statement by Nobody: 3:26pm On Sep 26, 2012
HNosegbe:

Care to explain the bolded?
David Mark has militocratic pride mixed with molecules of blind emotions. SLS has radical pride mixed with nucleotides of regional extremism. It will make a lethal combo should both face each other in the game of trash talking.

1 Like

Re: Maku Apologises To Senate Over Statement by easy(m): 3:31pm On Sep 26, 2012
The resolution of the senate is an advise and not binding.
Re: Maku Apologises To Senate Over Statement by Louis88: 3:32pm On Sep 26, 2012
taharqa: The National Assembly Resolutions should have the force of law? Are there actuali ppl in d National Assembly arguing this?..wondas have finally ended
Wonders have ended bro. I thought David Mark was the only person who was dumb till I came on Nairaland. People who ordinarily should know better are wasting manhours over something as clear as resolution.
If I were Maku, I won't apologise jack. Let them come and remove me. They know they can't. It's beyond their powers. After all the noise about sacking The DG of SEC, Arunma Otteh, the woman is still there. That one should be enough to teach them that their resolutions don't have weight in law. They should stop overreaching themselves. If they are serious about any change, let them pass a law to that effect and it will be obeyed.
Re: Maku Apologises To Senate Over Statement by Mandelaguy(m): 3:40pm On Sep 26, 2012
Louis88:
Wonders have ended bro. I thought David Mark was the only person who was dumb till I came on Nairaland. People who ordinarily should know better are wasting manhours over something as clear as resolution.
If I were Maku, I won't apologise jack. Let them come and remove me. They know they can't. It's beyond their powers. After all the noise about sacking The DG of SEC, Arunma Otteh, the woman is still there. That one should be enough to teach them that their resolutions don't have weight in law. They should stop overreaching themselves. If they are serious about any change, let them pass a law to that effect and it will be obeyed.
Teach them the workings of democracy.
Re: Maku Apologises To Senate Over Statement by taharqa: 3:42pm On Sep 26, 2012
Mallamabdul: This is a sign maturity shown by Maku,in order for the country to move forward and not dwell on the issues. And I respect him for that.
I do not think it is a mata of maturity anything. He just placed d govt he represents and himself in a bad light by cowardly apologizing when he was right. Even if just out of respect 4 d INSTITUTION of d Senate he wantd to show sm deference, he shld only have expressd 'Regrets' over any misunderstanding of his statements, assure them that he holds the institution in d highest regards while tactfully reaffirming d 'Rightness' of his previous statement
Re: Maku Apologises To Senate Over Statement by omenka(m): 3:47pm On Sep 26, 2012
In other news, the Senate president has been advised by ordinary Nigerians, like yours truely, to shut dafuckup and go complete the Otukpo-Enugu road contract awarded his wife (front) since 2007 with over 70% of the job yet undone! !!
Re: Maku Apologises To Senate Over Statement by Mandelaguy(m): 3:50pm On Sep 26, 2012
omenka: In other news, the Senate president has been advised by ordinary Nigerians, like yours truely, to shut dafuckup and go complete the Otukpo-Enugu road contract given his wife (front) since 2007! !!
You can say that again bro!
Re: Maku Apologises To Senate Over Statement by Dpeacemaker101: 4:03pm On Sep 26, 2012
ojietu: this MArKu of a woman is a coward that can do anything to protect his job. what a coward.
so a hero would have been someone that will stress issues with the senate, at the end of the day abandoning other trivial issues that the senate is suppose to handle, abii? You are really confused and don't know what you are saying. I will still commend the minister for acting like the matured one in this matter.
Re: Maku Apologises To Senate Over Statement by ben4reel: 4:08pm On Sep 26, 2012
omiobo: Yes! Him for no apologise he for hear am.
anyway,THIS SPACE IS STILL FOR SALE
How much 4 d space? I wan buy.
Re: Maku Apologises To Senate Over Statement by Dpeacemaker101: 4:14pm On Sep 26, 2012
Kewt: Maku was damn right. Resolutions of the parliament are only advisory and not binding on the executive.. He should have stood his ground like Sanusi Lamido did during 25% overhead expenditure on National assembly statement saga but I almost wept when I saw him on tv yesterday apologizing to the senate committee on information.

It’s always like that for any man who fears his stomach more than his name or reputation.

In an attempt to save his job and face, he has ridiculed the presidency and himself.
how did he do that, by telling the senate the truth, why do you people get issues wrongly on NL. A man swallows his pride and apologizes to the senate,even when what he said is the truth and you say he has ridiculed the government and himself. So you prefer that the issue be dragged longer than this, if our leaders can learn to apologize with sincerity when they are even right, nigeria will be a better place for us all.
Re: Maku Apologises To Senate Over Statement by Cupidkc(m): 4:15pm On Sep 26, 2012
Atleast he has apologised...go and sin no more!
Re: Maku Apologises To Senate Over Statement by Dpeacemaker101: 4:17pm On Sep 26, 2012
omenka: In other news, the Senate president has been advised by ordinary Nigerians, like yours truely, to shut dafuckup and go complete the Otukpo-Enugu road contract awarded his wife (front) since 2007 with over 70% of the job yet undone! !!
these are issues that should be brought to lime light, and he is there talking BS.
Re: Maku Apologises To Senate Over Statement by ben4reel: 4:17pm On Sep 26, 2012
Maku did the right thing by apologising. The nation does not need unnecessary bickering between the executive and the legislature when there are so many pressing national issues to be addressed.
Re: Maku Apologises To Senate Over Statement by luluosas(m): 4:23pm On Sep 26, 2012
You mean Maku ate his words? Wonderment!!
Re: Maku Apologises To Senate Over Statement by uzomagic(m): 4:24pm On Sep 26, 2012
Mandelaguy: Maku spoke as a principled man,he was quoted out context which is now a regular thing in Nigeria.
Re: Maku Apologises To Senate Over Statement by jpphilips(m): 4:29pm On Sep 26, 2012
Senate in Nigeria? When did that happen?
Re: Maku Apologises To Senate Over Statement by billyG(m): 4:29pm On Sep 26, 2012
maku speaks thru his nyash-hole ;
Re: Maku Apologises To Senate Over Statement by ochukoccna: 4:31pm On Sep 26, 2012
Kewt: Maku was damn right. Resolutions of the parliament are only advisory and not binding on the executive.. He should have stood his ground like Sanusi Lamido did during 25% overhead expenditure on National assembly statement saga but I almost wept when I saw him on tv yesterday apologizing to the senate committee on information.
It’s always like that for any man who fears his stomach more than his name or reputation.
In an attempt to save his job and face, he has ridiculed the presidency and himself.

diva_tosin: These senators are just a bunch of clowns. I wonder if David Mark passed secondary school Government at all.
Where on earth did they come about the idea that a resolution of parliament is binding?
It is elementary knowledge that it is only laws passed by the National Assembly that assume a force of law not resolutions.
A resolution is not enforceable. It's breach cannot even give rise to an action in court.
I'm shocked that they have used pressure to extract a cosmetic apology from Maku.
The minister of Information was damn right in his statement.

While it is true that passed resolutions are not laws, the arrogance of the executive arm of government especially at the federal and state levels is nauseating
We need to learn more about [and implement] the separation of powers for the Executive in saner climes doesn't talk down on the Legislature nor shun court orders from the Judiciary for they are supposed to complement each other
Are we then saying there no valid superior viewpoints outside those expressed by the Executive? undecided undecided
Gani was right in positing we have civil rule but not democracy cool cool wink
Have you ever heard a British or American minister speak such nonsense about the resolutions which emanate from their parliament? angry angry
We seem to forget the parliament is representing the peoples of Nigeria
Are we then saying the people of Nigeria are yarning dust?
The current [as well as previous] national Assembly may be peopled by characters who are there for the money and not their peoples but this is the way [a supposed democracy] we are been governed in this season of life
We expect the best from our legislature and executives but they are denigrated daily by the way we speak & kick them about on NL, Facebook, online, in the newspapers etc
And we've been doing this for so long
Insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different result embarassed embarassed
Should we not be thinking [and acting out] of forming advocacy & pressure groups;in short starting a movement for good governance in Nigeria devoid of ethnic and religious sentiment? sad sad
Unless you fail to see, it is apparent most of our 'wise elders' lack the will or know not what to do to fix the nation [assuming we truly have one]
The youth [if they are willing] are the ones who can save Nigeria
But all we do is come online and rail at those implementing our 'jeun jeun' democracy while their bank accounts swell& the nation's patrimony dwindles grin grin
Then we touch our behinds, see se-men then& wonder 'WHO PHUCKED US'? undecided undecided

2 Likes

Re: Maku Apologises To Senate Over Statement by billyG(m): 4:32pm On Sep 26, 2012
maku always speaks thru his nyash-hole
Re: Maku Apologises To Senate Over Statement by banki(m): 4:44pm On Sep 26, 2012
Mandelaguy: Maku spoke as a principled man,he was quoted out of on text which is now a regular thing in Nigeria.

lol do you hear yourself.... Maku principled?
Re: Maku Apologises To Senate Over Statement by IYANGBALI: 4:57pm On Sep 26, 2012
Igbawo ni maku o ni ku?
Re: Maku Apologises To Senate Over Statement by Horo(m): 5:37pm On Sep 26, 2012
Nawa for this house sef na so so sermon dey Sabi small thing if somebody expressed himself the next thing na sermon and at the end when the culprint said sorry that is all grin grin[color=#770077][/color]
Re: Maku Apologises To Senate Over Statement by divatosin(f): 5:39pm On Sep 26, 2012
ochukoccna:

While it is true that passed resolutions are not laws, the arrogance of the executive arm of government especially at the federal and state levels is nauseating
We need to learn more about [and implement] the separation of powers for the Executive in saner climes doesn't talk down on the Legislature nor shun court orders from the Judiciary for they are supposed to complement each other
Are we then saying there no valid superior viewpoints outside those expressed by the Executive? undecided undecided
Gani was right in positing we have civil rule but not democracy cool cool wink
Have you ever heard a British or American minister speak such nonsense about the resolutions which emanate from their parliament? angry angry
We seem to forget the parliament is representing the peoples of Nigeria
Are we then saying the people of Nigeria are yarning dust?
The current [as well as previous] national Assembly may be peopled by characters who are there for the money and not their peoples but this is the way [a supposed democracy] we are been governed in this season of life
We expect the best from our legislature and executives but they are denigrated daily by the way we speak & kick them about on NL, Facebook, online, in the newspapers etc
And we've been doing this for so long
Insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different result embarassed embarassed
Should we not be thinking [and acting out] of forming advocacy & pressure groups;in short starting a movement for good governance in Nigeria devoid of ethnic and religious sentiment? sad sad
Unless you fail to see, it is apparent most of our 'wise elders' lack the will or know not what to do to fix the nation [assuming we truly have one]
The youth [if they are willing] are the ones who can save Nigeria
But all we do is come online and rail at those implementing our 'jeun jeun' democracy while their bank accounts swell& the nation's patrimony dwindles grin grin
Then we touch our behinds, see se-men then& wonder 'WHO PHUCKED US'? undecided undecided

Your point is noted but you clearly went off the mark.
The issue here is simple. Did Maku err in his statement where he stated that NASS resolutions do not have any legal effect and so not binding? No.
Did Maku eat his words? No.
Did Maku ever deny making the statements credited to him? No.
Did Maku apologise to the senate? Yes.
For what? For misinterpreting his clear position on a question posed to him by the press and painting the picture that he lacks regard for the NASS.
Does Maku disregard NASS? No.
So why apologise? To avoid any mischief makers who may latch on his statements to deepen the already existing executive/legislative faceoff
Re: Maku Apologises To Senate Over Statement by ubandire(m): 6:09pm On Sep 26, 2012
I have read through that report. There is nothing there to suggest that Maku apologized to the senate remorsefully.
If somebody is quoted in the press and he still stands by what he said, it cannot be an apology. The so called apology is a carricuture one that was just issued from the lips.
It was just a diplomatic apology meant to prevent unnecessary political bickering between both arms. But we all know the truth. Maku said the truth.
Re: Maku Apologises To Senate Over Statement by oadah(m): 6:15pm On Sep 26, 2012
ubandire: I have read through that report. There is nothing there to suggest that Maku apologized to the senate remorsefully.
If somebody is quoted in the press and he still stands by what he said, it cannot be an apology. The so called apology is a carricuture one that was just issued from the lips.
It was just a diplomatic apology meant to prevent unnecessary political bickering between both arms. But we all know the truth. Maku said the truth.

Maku did no wrong but he understood politics, which in the case of Nigeria some people are so mighty that the arms of the law will slap you on their behalf even if you are right, that young man Maku has family, political ambition and still needs favor, it's too early to destroy the political career that the seed hasn't sprout....he did the WISE thing.
Re: Maku Apologises To Senate Over Statement by inteli: 8:30pm On Sep 26, 2012
uzomagic:
For the sake of clarity, I want to reproduce the excerpts of that report to show that Maku is right and stood by his words and just gave a political apology inorder not to cause an executive/legislative rift. Brilliant man.

"The Senate thereafter summoned Maku to appear before it to clarify his statement. The minister, while appearing before the Senate Committee on Information, had said: “I did not in any way intend to disparage or disrespect the authority of the National Assembly by my comment. ``I was just trying to explain to the journalists without having to make a declaration on behalf of the President (Goodluck Jonathan). ``If that comment has been misinterpreted, I tender my apologies to the Senate because personally, I have no reason to disrespect the National Assembly. “I was at a forum and journalists threw a question at me, as to whether the government would cancel the introduction of the N5000 note as a result of the Senate resolution. ``Now, I was pressed by the press and journalists were looking for headlines. The answer was not the position of the federal government and I took efforts to explain to my colleagues.’’

Maku, however, told the Senators that he was not misquoted by the press. On whether the resolutions of the Senate were binding or not, Maku said he was aware that if the nation was at war, the National Assembly had the power to extend the life span of a government."

If you read the bolded critically without bias, you will be convinced beyond reasonable doubt that Maku stands by his statement. He just wants to make it clear that statements credited to him should not be associated with his principal-Jonathan hence the cosmetic apology.
He never said he was sorry for saying what we all know is the truth. He stands courageously by his statement. He said clearly that the press did not misquote him meaning that he said it and stand by it.
But for the sake of Jonathan, if the statement is misinterpreted as executive slight on legislature then I apologise.
OK! Now we've heard directly from Maku's P.A. Let there be peace.
Re: Maku Apologises To Senate Over Statement by taharqa: 10:38pm On Sep 26, 2012
diva_tosin:

Your point is noted but you clearly went off the mark.
The issue here is simple. Did Maku err in his statement where he stated that NASS resolutions do not have any legal effect and so not binding? No.
Did Maku eat his words? No.
Did Maku ever deny making the statements credited to him? No.
Did Maku apologise to the senate? Yes.
For what? For misinterpreting his clear position on a question posed to him by the press and painting the picture that he lacks regard for the NASS.
Does Maku disregard NASS? No.
So why apologise? To avoid any mischief makers who may latch on his statements to deepen the already existing executive/legislative faceoff

Okay then, fair enough..and nice summing up by the way
Re: Maku Apologises To Senate Over Statement by uzomagic(m): 1:31am On Sep 27, 2012
ubandire: I have read through that report. There is nothing there to suggest that Maku apologized to the senate remorsefully.
Right from his days as a students union activist, Maku is a man of truth and courage.
Re: Maku Apologises To Senate Over Statement by montili(f): 10:38am On Sep 27, 2012
Now, I was pressed by the press and journalists were looking for headlines. The answer was not the position of the federal government and I took efforts to explain to my colleagues.’’

Omo na winsh press am wen e meet the press? grin grin grin

Anyway, he's already told the truth whether they like it or not.
Re: Maku Apologises To Senate Over Statement by beordune(m): 10:43am On Sep 27, 2012
Maku na person...
Re: Maku Apologises To Senate Over Statement by Emmykeyz(m): 1:02pm On Sep 27, 2012
TOO MUCH "GRA GRA" NEXT TIME HE SHOULD MAKE USE OF THE "NO COMMENT" TACT!
Re: Maku Apologises To Senate Over Statement by Mandelaguy(m): 1:39pm On Sep 27, 2012
banki:

lol do you hear yourself.... Maku principled?
Show me a more principled man.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigeria Opens Dialogue With Cameroon On Bakassi / Why Are Wealthy Arab Nations Doing Nothing To Help Muslim Refugees / Documents On The Igbos (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.