Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,895 members, 7,817,638 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:03 PM

Nigeria To Include ICT In School Curricular - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigeria To Include ICT In School Curricular (5689 Views)

Best University In Nigeria To Study Mechanical Engineering / English Teachers Want Government To Include Scrabble In School Curricula / How Can I Apply ICT In Agricultural Engineering? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria To Include ICT In School Curricular by mukina2: 11:15am On Sep 27, 2012
Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan announced that Information and Communication Technology (ICT) will be incorporated into the National Education Curricular at primary school level.

Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan announced that Information and Communication Technology (ICT) will be incorporated into the National Education Curricular at primary school level (image: file)

Jonathan inaugurated the presidential committee on broadband, and said that children need to pe exposed to ICT. “We must therefore start exposing our children to ICTs to encourage in them familiarity with new technologies and the desire to develop software programmes and applications.”

He added that it is necessary to include ICT in the curricular if Nigeria wants to stay ahead in technology – which has seen a tremendous upsurge over the last couple of years. “It is important to start thinking of how to build a digital economy particularly in this era of the knowledge economy. The critical factor here is that we are in the middle of a digital revolution that has seen ICT transform the global economy.”

According to Abuja-based Leadership, “he pointed out that broadband has the potential to facilitate the creation of new industries and introduce significant efficiencies into existing ones, adding that education delivery, health care provision, energy management, public safety, government/citizen interaction and the overall organisation and dissemination of knowledge will also benefit meaningfully from it.”

With the announcement that ICT will be included in the curricular, Jonathan also added that Nigeria’s National ICT policy will aim to increase broadband penetration by five-fold by 2017.

http://www.itnewsafrica.com/2012/09/nigeria-to-include-ict-in-school-curricular/
Re: Nigeria To Include ICT In School Curricular by Nobody: 12:01pm On Sep 27, 2012
@mukina2, I hope you know the effect/meaning of what you did on this thread?

good development @topic
Re: Nigeria To Include ICT In School Curricular by Afam4eva(m): 4:49pm On Sep 27, 2012
This is a welcome development...it's really necessary that we acquaint out schools on technology early on.
Re: Nigeria To Include ICT In School Curricular by lifestyle1(m): 4:50pm On Sep 27, 2012
Its easier said than done. Time will tell
Re: Nigeria To Include ICT In School Curricular by Nobody: 4:53pm On Sep 27, 2012
Make sense! Please an applause 4 our F.G on this. Its going to be a major leap in Science and Technological innovation for our nation in the coming generation.with dis decision,am sure kids will be more exposed to talent-driven career choices and not the regular 'i want to be a doctor/engineer/nurse/lawyer.Though i hope it is maintaind foreva
Re: Nigeria To Include ICT In School Curricular by idowuswap: 4:54pm On Sep 27, 2012
Make igbo no involve oooo if not high level of fraud go high pass in nigerian cus na them dey thief 4 everywhere.yoruba man don give advice oooo.
Re: Nigeria To Include ICT In School Curricular by Nobody: 4:59pm On Sep 27, 2012
idowuswap: Make igbo no involve oooo if not high level of fraud go high pass in nigerian cus na them dey thief 4 everywhere.yoruba man don give advice oooo.
deranged bigot! Stop being a fool and grow up.my yoruba pals don't talk nonsense like this,in other words,you are illegitimate yoruba man...go ask ur mama who ur real father is!

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Include ICT In School Curricular by free2ryhme: 5:04pm On Sep 27, 2012
They've been repeating the same thing over and over in past decades ... It is true Nigerians have short memory span little wonder you are quick to jubilate .... There are schools in Nigeria that already have ICT in school curricular y is dis a big deal ... Policy enforcement is weak in this country
Re: Nigeria To Include ICT In School Curricular by dasparrow: 5:13pm On Sep 27, 2012
@Post

I think this is a good move. They should just make sure it is enforced.
Re: Nigeria To Include ICT In School Curricular by a1solution: 5:13pm On Sep 27, 2012
ICT without electricity is useless. lets concentrate on electricity first while other things wud be added in due course. thats my opinion.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Include ICT In School Curricular by idowuswap: 5:14pm On Sep 27, 2012
To you binger.Nuisansica person like u must talk animal.may be ur father rape ur mother b4 giving birth 2 u.
Re: Nigeria To Include ICT In School Curricular by mankand(m): 5:16pm On Sep 27, 2012
Insane and Confused Souls.

Why not overhaul the system first and make the whole system condusive for ICT to come in and get well sitted into the minds of the students.
Re: Nigeria To Include ICT In School Curricular by Nobody: 5:18pm On Sep 27, 2012
I'll comment after it's kick-started.

***booking this space till then***
Re: Nigeria To Include ICT In School Curricular by Okijajuju1(m): 5:19pm On Sep 27, 2012
mukina2: Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan announced that Information and Communication Technology (ICT) will be incorporated into the National Education Curricular at primary school level.

Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan announced that Information and Communication Technology (ICT) will be incorporated into the National Education Curricular at primary school level (image: file)

[size=16pt]Jonathan inaugurated the presidential committee on broadband,[/size] and said that children need to pe exposed to ICT. “We must therefore start exposing our children to ICTs to encourage in them familiarity with new technologies and the desire to develop software programmes and applications.”

He added that it is necessary to include ICT in the curricular if Nigeria wants to stay ahead in technology – which has seen a tremendous upsurge over the last couple of years. “It is important to start thinking of how to build a digital economy particularly in this era of the knowledge economy. The critical factor here is that we are in the middle of a digital revolution that has seen ICT transform the global economy.”

According to Abuja-based Leadership, “he pointed out that broadband has the potential to facilitate the creation of new industries and introduce significant efficiencies into existing ones, adding that education delivery, health care provision, energy management, public safety, government/citizen interaction and the overall organisation and dissemination of knowledge will also benefit meaningfully from it.”

With the announcement that ICT will be included in the curricular, Jonathan also added that Nigeria’s National ICT policy will aim to increase broadband penetration by five-fold by 2017.

http://www.itnewsafrica.com/2012/09/nigeria-to-include-ict-in-school-curricular/

Just when I thought I have heard it all, They go and do this... grin grin grin What next?! Presidential Commitee on MODEM?!..

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Include ICT In School Curricular by SamMilla1(m): 5:21pm On Sep 27, 2012
The rest of the World has abandoned Religious knowledge and replaced it with ICT long time ago.

People are now getting away from Faith and Myth and heading towards Facts and Realities.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Include ICT In School Curricular by Afam4eva(m): 5:22pm On Sep 27, 2012
Okija_juju:

Just when I thought I have heard it all, They go and do this... grin grin grin What next?! Presidential Commitee on MODEM?!..
lmao grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria To Include ICT In School Curricular by Godmann(m): 5:31pm On Sep 27, 2012
[size=14pt]Just copy copy. ICT or whatever you call it will not give us functional education. Let sort out the fundamental problem first and every other thing will add up. If I am in GEJ position, I will introduce a sound civic education first to empower our people with sound political knowledge. With these no politician can manipulate the people again.

Do this and give corruption a sound fight and everything will add up.

Trying to copy white people without first reshaping our thought processes will never work. We must understand ourselves as Nigerian, and as individuals before we can make a head-start as a people. It is this that is at the foundation of the problems we have in our nation. Colonialism made us an inferior people and we are yet to get over this. The Educational system they gave us was meant to make us their servants and not to empower us. The corruption they inculcated in us as a means of controlling us have given birth to an uncontrollable level of treasury looting and irresponsibility in our land.

These is the problem.

Copying and pasting will never solve our problem. Original thinking will do[/size]

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Include ICT In School Curricular by Freiburger(m): 5:33pm On Sep 27, 2012
What happened to the one laptop to a child scheme?
Re: Nigeria To Include ICT In School Curricular by Nobody: 5:41pm On Sep 27, 2012
i tutor in a skol in Abj where ICT is tot from grade 1 up. U nid 2 c how fast these kids catch up.
Re: Nigeria To Include ICT In School Curricular by acidtalk: 5:43pm On Sep 27, 2012
First Right step (announcement) Jonathan and his government have made since the begining of this year.

Now it is remaining to make Religion and at least one Nigerian Language also a MUST in the curriculum. As lack of it has what has caused the religious and cultural menace in the society of today.

But come to think of it, who will teach this children as even Professors of Computer Science cannot Hibernate computer systems. They still turn it off like they are doing to their TV sets at home.
Re: Nigeria To Include ICT In School Curricular by 9jvirgin(m): 5:46pm On Sep 27, 2012
ON-GOING RECRUITMENT & TRAINING IN LEADING RESEARCH COMPANY
A leading multi-national Research Company requires the services of qualified and self-motivated Data Collection Interviewers in its Lagos Operations office.
Qualification: Minimum of OND
Essential qualities:
 Good communication skill ( oral & written)
 Good inter-personal skill
 A resilient spirit
 A teachable attitude
Method:
Apply in person with a copy of your certificate and two recent passport photographs.
Address:
No. 72, Isheri Road
Near Akiode Bus Stop
Opposite UBA Bank
Ojodu-Berger Area
Lagos
Contact phone: 0809 648 1830
Re: Nigeria To Include ICT In School Curricular by taharqa: 5:52pm On Sep 27, 2012
Godman_n: [size=14pt]Just copy copy. ICT or whatever you call it will not give us functional education. Let sort out the fundamental problem first and every other thing will add up. If I am in GEJ position, I will introduce a sound civic education first to empower our people with sound political knowledge. With these no politician can manipulate the people again.

Do this and give corruption a sound fight and everything will add up.

Trying to copy white people without first reshaping our thought processes will never work. We must understand ourselves as Nigerian, and as individuals before we can make a head-start as a people. It is this that is at the foundation of the problems we have in our nation. Colonialism made us an inferior people and we are yet to get over this. The Educational system they gave us was meant to make us their servants and not to empower us. The corruption they inculcated in us as a means of controlling us have given birth to an uncontrollable level of treasury looting and irresponsibility in our land.

These is the problem.

Copying and pasting will never solve our problem. Original thinking will do[/size]
I endorse most of what you said here esp bout how our educational system(formal and even more critically, informal) should rediscover our originality as a people and use that as the fundamental substrate upon which any other educational architecture may be placed....our educational has to be fundamentally changed eventually.. Having said that, the ICT thing is a good move
Re: Nigeria To Include ICT In School Curricular by pheesayor(m): 6:22pm On Sep 27, 2012
pls include ict, i'm a computer teacher at primary level and the curriculum is not what it should be
Re: Nigeria To Include ICT In School Curricular by Lollycutie(f): 6:25pm On Sep 27, 2012
binger: Make sense! Please an applause 4 our F.G on this. Its going to be a major leap in Science and Technological innovation for our nation in the coming generation.with dis decision,am sure kids will be more exposed to talent-driven career choices and not the regular 'i want to be a doctor/engineer/nurse/lawyer.Though i hope it is maintaind foreva
Muhehehehehehehehehehhehehheh i laff in oda tongues,Nigeria gov and their never accomplished policies.
Re: Nigeria To Include ICT In School Curricular by pheesayor(m): 6:26pm On Sep 27, 2012
2tex: i tutor in a skol in Abj where ICT is tot from grade 1 up. U nid 2 c how fast these kids catch up.
pls lets communicate, m a tutor in a primary school and need other tutors for exchange of ideas
Re: Nigeria To Include ICT In School Curricular by SITogira1(m): 8:01pm On Sep 27, 2012
That will be better woo!
Re: Nigeria To Include ICT In School Curricular by Horus(m): 10:37pm On Sep 27, 2012
Nigerian computer manufacturers should also help to provide computers for every schools in Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria To Include ICT In School Curricular by OkikiOluwa1(m): 11:11pm On Sep 27, 2012
I hope everything dat d kids ll learn ll not just b based on theory. And d policy ll b enforced strongly even wt Nigeria's poor electricity.
Re: Nigeria To Include ICT In School Curricular by thehomer: 9:47am On Sep 28, 2012
I hope enough competent teachers can be found.
Re: Nigeria To Include ICT In School Curricular by Peterpan1(m): 12:43pm On Sep 28, 2012
Enough talk we want action,and in addition we need effectiveness in both parts,if this move is going to work.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Admission Admission Admission Edouniversity Iyamo, Uzairue, Etsako West Lga, / If You Can Read This You're A Genius. / 2019 Lagos State Undergraduate Scholarship Award Scheme.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.