Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,650 members, 7,823,844 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:22 PM

Woe! To Nigerian Government. Ghana Is Now The Giant Of Africa! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Woe! To Nigerian Government. Ghana Is Now The Giant Of Africa! (11314 Views)

What Makes Nigeria The Giant Of Africa / Nigeria Is Indeed The Giant Of Africa / Nigeria Is Not The Giant Of Africa! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Woe! To Nigerian Government. Ghana Is Now The Giant Of Africa! by seunbballo(m): 8:14am On Jan 16, 2008
Guys!!! my fellow nairalanders:
It bothers me so much that it feels like there is a hook stuck in my throat. I am feeeling sorry for myself for having anything to do with Nigeria. Nigeria as the suppose 'Giant' of Africa has been overtaken by ghana. This alone has proven it:
1) 1 British pounds= 1.90 Ghanian new cedes

2) 1 Ghanaian cedes= 114 Nigerian naira

Ghana used to have a very weak currency about 15years ago( you all remember the incident:ghana must go).
Now i did a survey and found out that their economy is strong and booming as ever. It is all left to our government. Let them lead the way and the whole country will follow.
But if they decline and rather do what they like doing best(embezzle money)- the govt haven't seen enough inflation and the best of 'yahooze' to come. It is not even going to be 'yahooze' anymore. It will be 'naijaze': sharing of the national cake with your connections.

This is sad!! What do you think?

1 Like

Re: Woe! To Nigerian Government. Ghana Is Now The Giant Of Africa! by Kashif(m): 8:31am On Jan 16, 2008
how has the redenomination in Ghana helped their economy? I disagree with you that Ghana has become the 'giant of Africa' simply because they redenominated. There are economy measurement indices which trascends beyond mere currency face manipulation.

That was a very hasty conclusion man!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Woe! To Nigerian Government. Ghana Is Now The Giant Of Africa! by almondjoy(f): 8:48am On Jan 16, 2008
My only surprise is that you really thought that "Nigeria" was a giant at any time. I am glad you have realized the "actuality" phase of this giant of a "myth".
Re: Woe! To Nigerian Government. Ghana Is Now The Giant Of Africa! by lafile(m): 2:03pm On Jan 16, 2008
Okay so Ghana redominated. Big deal. If that is the only index used, then Ghana would be a better place than Japan. We have 1 Pound = 212 yen
Re: Woe! To Nigerian Government. Ghana Is Now The Giant Of Africa! by ono(m): 4:15pm On Jan 16, 2008
lafile:

Okay so Ghana redominated. Big deal. If that is the only index used, then Ghana would be a better place than Japan. We have 1 Pound = 212 yen

LOL!! In that case, Ghana is the giant of Asia or the world. LOLL!! grin

2 Likes

Re: Woe! To Nigerian Government. Ghana Is Now The Giant Of Africa! by dayokanu(m): 4:25pm On Jan 16, 2008
Okay you too heard the folk tale that Nigeria was once upon a time giant of Africa? Just like the stories of tortoise they tell us in those days
Re: Woe! To Nigerian Government. Ghana Is Now The Giant Of Africa! by Depilot(m): 4:34pm On Jan 16, 2008
nigeria is still the giant of Africa. it is common for every country to go through rough period, during this period you will experience inflation, deflation and may be recession, but this doesn't mean that this country is dead. with time and serious minded government things usually return to normal. ghana went through their own period and america may also be experiencing the same economic stage. this stage is also called restructuring stage, which at one point every country will see. it is too early and not advisable to compare ghana to nigeria at this point. nigeria is full of resources and has the best potential to return very strong.

1 Like

Re: Woe! To Nigerian Government. Ghana Is Now The Giant Of Africa! by Kobojunkie: 2:41am On Jan 17, 2008
So you would apply this logic to Nigeria in the case of Nigeria going through " hard times" but you could not think of applying the same logic when it has to do with other countries?? WOW!!!I should have read this before I went ahead to spend my time replying your posts all day today.
Re: Woe! To Nigerian Government. Ghana Is Now The Giant Of Africa! by palmwine(m): 2:49am On Jan 17, 2008
The important thing is Ghana is willing to take the bull by the horn. A Nigerian in Government will not do anything that will not get him a 10% cut . Nigerain Government makes excuse for everything.
Re: Woe! To Nigerian Government. Ghana Is Now The Giant Of Africa! by Nobody: 6:08am On Jan 17, 2008
Good for Ghana.
Re: Woe! To Nigerian Government. Ghana Is Now The Giant Of Africa! by segunpc(m): 9:26am On Jan 17, 2008
well its good they redominate their dough

but that does not make them come anywhere near nigeria.

ghana is like lagos and oyo state together.

where south africa and others dey.

abeg just tell us ghanas economy is improving and not to the xtend of becoming the giant of AFRICA.

1 Like

Re: Woe! To Nigerian Government. Ghana Is Now The Giant Of Africa! by naijaking1: 12:50am On Jan 18, 2008
Who doesn't know that Ghana has somehow always managed better than Nigeria?

From Nkrumah to Rawlings, to Kufor; Ghanaian rulers have always had better vision than their Nigerian counterparts.

Today, economically, power supply, education, and health care; Ghana is far better than Nigeria.

The small size of Ghana is also a strong advantage. It's like giving independence to the old western or eastern region in naija without lumping them together and withe the north.

Note, Ghana does not depend on oil for most of it's revenues, yet on the average, the Ghanaian is economically better of than his naija brother, go figure.
Re: Woe! To Nigerian Government. Ghana Is Now The Giant Of Africa! by Esss(m): 12:58am On Jan 18, 2008
This thread is another piece of trash.

1 british pound = 1.9 ghana new cedis = 1.9 million old cedis.

all they did was divide their old currency by 10000, so what you used to buy for 10,000 cedis is now 1 ghana cedis.

How does this translate into them becoming giants??

Y'all haters keep hating, I'm proudly nigerian anyday in peace or war. We still remain the kings of Africa, re-denomination or not.

2 Likes

Re: Woe! To Nigerian Government. Ghana Is Now The Giant Of Africa! by Iman3(m): 1:03am On Jan 18, 2008
Economics 101! grin The Ministry of Education should have made Economics compulsory for WAEC.

1 Like

Re: Woe! To Nigerian Government. Ghana Is Now The Giant Of Africa! by Uzzyan: 1:12am On Jan 18, 2008
What ever u say is just a waste of strenght{cos u use ur energy to post grin grin}
Strongly reping ma nation jare.
Re: Woe! To Nigerian Government. Ghana Is Now The Giant Of Africa! by naijaking1: 1:20am On Jan 18, 2008
Esss:

This thread is another piece of trash.

1 british pound = 1.9 ghana new cedis = 1.9 million old cedis.

all they did was divide their old currency by 10000, so what you used to buy for 10,000 cedis is now 1 ghana cedis.

How does this translate into them becoming giants??

Y'all haters keep hating, I'm proudly nigerian anyday in peace or war. We still remain the kings of Africa, re-denomination or not.

The cedi equivalence is only part of the story. In general Ghana is moving in a more positive direction than Nigeria.

A real proud and smart Nigerian would check all the parameters of greatness, ie healthcare, power supply, education, infrastructural development, etc as compared to Ghana.

To overtake Ghana is to understand its greatness, and then improve on it,

You just can't deny it, because you're a proud and patrotic Nigerian.

Soon, Nigerian governors and Presidents would be going to Ghana for Medical check-up, a country that already has a near perfect power supply system.
Re: Woe! To Nigerian Government. Ghana Is Now The Giant Of Africa! by Esss(m): 1:42am On Jan 18, 2008
Now do you also realise that Ghana is a far smaller country than Nigeria?

Do you also realise that the country's income in comparison to its population is quite on the high side?

They dont have the problem of too many ethinicities and languages that we have in Nigeria?

Compare the land mass of both countries??

Even with all the corruption and bad gorvernance that we have suffered as a nation for almost three decades we have still managed to keep our head above water.

Its really sad that we could even contemplate making such comparisons between two totally different Nations.

Nigeria remains the true King of africa. You did not even call South Africa it was Ghana.

Wake up ppl, you live in a great Nation believe it or leave it.

1 Like

Re: Woe! To Nigerian Government. Ghana Is Now The Giant Of Africa! by naijaking1: 2:07am On Jan 18, 2008
@Esss

Oga, you really have to wake up. Ghana has its advantages, and naija has its own.

However, the key to doing better your competitor is not denying their advantages, but understanding it and knowing why you're not doing as good.

If you see my previous posting, I conjectured about why Ghana may be doing well: smaller size. On the other hand, Nigeria has many advantages: better size, more natural resources, more 'talented manpower'---- but what has naija done with its many advantages? Not much, instead some of the advantages have actually been turned into a disadvantage.

Nigerians are not going to Ghana for medical checkup, but talented Nigerians in diaspora are buying houses in Tokaradi and Accra instead of Lagos and Abuja.

If you're comparing yourself with South Africa, you're disillussioned.

You don't love naija more than anybody, so stop acting as if stating the obvious is an act of unpatrotism.
Re: Woe! To Nigerian Government. Ghana Is Now The Giant Of Africa! by seunbballo(m): 12:09pm On Jan 18, 2008
I can see where we all are coming from. The fact still remains the same:'CHANGE'
The major areas of changes that will be appreciated be the citizens of Nigeria are:-
-Clean adequate water supply
-Employment opportunity according to merit rather than connection
-More effective and patriotic police force
-100% supply of elctricity Nationwide(there is enough money to sort this out once and for all)
-Intense agricultural promotions for farmers, industries and supply network to all metropolis.
-Restructured Educational system in all stages of state and federal schools.(cut down right to own private school)Make minister pickin self go govt school.
-Major social Housing construction Nationwide as it is been done in UK(Imagine some rich fools having more than 5 houses and are not more than 5 in their family while some poor families about 9 lives in a room face me i face you.
-More power to the press(Writing or publicizing an article about a currupt govt official should't bring fear of arrest to the journalist)
-Promotion of home groomed expertise:graduates,skilled, unskilled and semi-skilled labour rather than let all of them become Nuisance on the streets and say they are causing problems in the society.
-Very importantly, an abled man is suffering in Nigeria not to mention a disabled individual.(They need to enjoy the benefit of been alive, so they need attention)

We can all see that there are so many areas of attention. I would not finnish if i continue to write down. I hear of the rate of awardind contracts and embezzlements in abuja. Boy!! its a shame that they are not patroitic. If i get hands on the power:
-Sack all over 50s in the cabinet.
-Everyone must dress smart, we are not going to parties for christ sake with agbada to work?
-Professional experts are going to be working in their fields of specialization. Not a literature graduate been a Minister of Works and Housing or Petroleum Minister.
-Set up an enforcement organization to immediate prosecute any govt official not complying with the effectiveness of scheduled contract or task.
-Legal reformation.
All these aspects i listed will help the country to grow more rapidly with our own confidence rather than making our youths look useless and uneducated to the outside world and favour oil companies and expatriates from abroad. (Because, before i can get a job here in london, their white citizens must have secured all the jobs first before me)
Pls don't get me wrong that i am in abroad soesn't mean i don't know what is going on in Nigeria.
I have my own portion to play in the development of Nigeria and i am going to do it voluntary and free without interferance from any govt organisation in Nigeria. Thanks. Long live NIGERIA
Re: Woe! To Nigerian Government. Ghana Is Now The Giant Of Africa! by bawomol(m): 4:45pm On Jan 18, 2008
ghana doesn't have a near perfect power supply. i believe they still have issues with power shedding.

http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/features/artikel.php?ID=122985

u guys 4 some reason just love to bash ur native country. the ghanian is good but not the giant of africa. countries like egypt and s.africa are in better shape.

1 Like

Re: Woe! To Nigerian Government. Ghana Is Now The Giant Of Africa! by Gettolove(m): 5:57pm On Jan 18, 2008
giant of my ass

1 Like

Re: Woe! To Nigerian Government. Ghana Is Now The Giant Of Africa! by EmekaNaija(m): 6:01pm On Jan 18, 2008
So, why don't you relocate to Ghana.

1 Like

Re: Woe! To Nigerian Government. Ghana Is Now The Giant Of Africa! by Backslider(m): 7:39pm On Jan 18, 2008
@segunbballo

You are wrong!

I am here in Ghana please just come here and live for just 2years of the 13 i am now approaching you will change mouth fast.
Re: Woe! To Nigerian Government. Ghana Is Now The Giant Of Africa! by naijaking1: 12:47am On Jan 19, 2008
Backslider:

@segunbballo

You are wrong!

I am here in Ghana please just come here and live for just 2years of the 13 i am now approaching you will change mouth fast.

Which part of what the gentle man wrote do you think is wrong?

What sort of reference are you making about leaving in Ghana?
Re: Woe! To Nigerian Government. Ghana Is Now The Giant Of Africa! by naijaking1: 12:54am On Jan 19, 2008
bawomol:

ghana doesn't have a near perfect power supply. i believe they still have issues with power shedding.
http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/features/artikel.php?ID=122985
u guys 4 some reason just love to bash your native country. the ghanian is good but not the giant of africa. countries like egypt and s.africa are in better shape.

Why are you citing 1 year old article just to show that Ghananians too have power problems? Try being honest for once.

Ghana's energy situation at the moment is where naija spent 1trillion naira with nothing to show for it, because we gave the contract to the Mojisola Obasanjos of Nigeria.

Give due credit,Ghana has a much better power situation than we do, no need to deny the obvious.
Re: Woe! To Nigerian Government. Ghana Is Now The Giant Of Africa! by naijaking1: 12:58am On Jan 19, 2008
@seunbballo
Good job for your attempt. For all those crying because Ghana is said to be doing better than Nigeria, please bring your suggestions. Nigeria, we hail thee is not enough.
Re: Woe! To Nigerian Government. Ghana Is Now The Giant Of Africa! by bawomol(m): 8:13am On Jan 19, 2008

Why are you citing 1 year old article just to show that Ghananians too have power problems? Try being honest for once.

Ghana's energy situation at the moment is where naija spent 1trillion naira with nothing to show for it, because we gave the contract to the Mojisola Obasanjos of Nigeria.

Give due credit,Ghana has a much better power situation than we do, no need to deny the obvious.

it is actually less than 1yr old but i guess ghana's power issue just disappeared. it's obvious that the volta dam was a waste of money(many ghanians would admit this).

ghana has a better power situation due to a smaller population. nigeria has an overblown population due to poor family planning and obviously is in no shape to meet it's energy demands. i believe energy projects are still been undergone in nigeria(of course delayed due to nigerian time).
Re: Woe! To Nigerian Government. Ghana Is Now The Giant Of Africa! by ifyalways(f): 1:28pm On Jan 19, 2008
My only surprise is that you really thought that "Nigeria" was a giant at any time.   I am glad you have realized the "actuality" phase of this giant of a "myth".
hehe.lol AJ
@topic which way nigeria ?
Re: Woe! To Nigerian Government. Ghana Is Now The Giant Of Africa! by naijaking1: 10:07pm On Jan 19, 2008
@bawomol
Since when did Nigeria's larger population become a disadvantage? Now you seem to be arguing that Ghana's improved power supply seems to be because of Ghana's smaller population.

Listen to yourself" nigeria has an overblown population due to poor family planning and obviously is in no shape to meet it's energy demands"

Nigeria is giant of Africa because of the population, now because of your shortsighted argument, that large population has suddenly become a disadvantage.

Why don't you ask the government to supply uninterpreted power to Lagos and Oyo(Ghananian equivalent in population) for 1 month and see how it feels.
Re: Woe! To Nigerian Government. Ghana Is Now The Giant Of Africa! by bawomol(m): 10:38pm On Jan 19, 2008
Since when did Nigeria's larger population become a disadvantage?

huh, do u know what nigeria's per capital income is?? there are way too many nigerian kids due to poor ignorant folks having too many babies that can't be supported by the already meager infrastructure. china and thailand had this problem and did something about it.

Now you seem to be arguing that Ghana's improved power supply seems to be because of Ghana's smaller population.

what improved, they have power shedding problem and u call it a great improvements. yes ghana has smaller energy demands that can be easily met

Nigeria is giant of Africa because of the population, now because of your shortsighted argument, that large population has suddenly become a disadvantage.

of course, keep on grading ur country based on population rather than the quality of life and life expectance. yeah, we should feel so good being a big for nothing giant. it is a disadvantage whether u like it or not. i bet danish and swedish people feel bad they don't have a large population.

Why don't you ask the government to supply uninterpreted power to Lagos and Oyo(Ghananian equivalent in population) for 1 month and see how it feels.

that would be possible if we diverted all the nations power supply to just those two states.
Re: Woe! To Nigerian Government. Ghana Is Now The Giant Of Africa! by WesleyanA(f): 10:53pm On Jan 19, 2008
we're the giant of Africa because we make the most babies. approx. 150 million ppl.
China's "one child per family" policy need to come to Naija quickly

1 out of 5 Africans is Nigerian. that's net negative. we shouldn't be so proud of overpopulation.
Re: Woe! To Nigerian Government. Ghana Is Now The Giant Of Africa! by bawomol(m): 11:03pm On Jan 19, 2008
someone get's it. what's great about having a boatload on babies on a feed the children infomerical grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bama Massacre Negates Amnesty Talks – Jonathan / Reject Public Money Stolen By Your Husbands, Sultan Advises Women / Yar’adua, Jonathan Blew $67bn – El-rufai

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.