Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,081 members, 7,811,031 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:15 PM

ALH ABDUL LATEEF ADEGBITE CON, PH.D; A Tragic Loss Of An Illustrious Exemplar - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / ALH ABDUL LATEEF ADEGBITE CON, PH.D; A Tragic Loss Of An Illustrious Exemplar (2535 Views)

Tragic End Of ISIS Militant Forcefully Married To 7 Year Old / Abdul Haji, Somali Muslim Saves Hundreds, Hailed As International Hero! / Alhaji Lateef Adegbite Is Dead (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

ALH ABDUL LATEEF ADEGBITE CON, PH.D; A Tragic Loss Of An Illustrious Exemplar by Nobody: 10:36am On Sep 29, 2012
ALHAJI ABDUL LATEEF ADEGBITE CON, PH.D
"A tragic loss of an Illustrious Exemplar"

* Born on the 20th of March 1933,
* Attended St. Paul’s Primary School in Igbore, Abeokuta in 1942,
* Obtained a scholarship to attend King's College, Lagos,
* It was there he Co-founded and became the first National president of the Muslim Students' Society of Nigeria (MSSN),
* In 1959, he was awarded a scholarship to travel to England to study Law at the University of Southampton,
* He graduated with a B.A. in Law in July 1962
* He then studied at the College of Law for Solicitors, Lancaster Gate in London, and then at Gray's Inn (1963–1965),
*He obtained his PhD in 1966.
* He began his career teaching law at the University of Lagos,
* In 1971 Adegbite was appointed Commissioner for Local Governments and Chieftaincy Matters in the old Western Region of Nigeria,
* He was then appointed Commissioner for Justice and Attorney-General of the Western Region in 1973,
* In October 1976 he founded the legal firm of Lateef Adegbite & Co as the Principal Partner,
* Adegbite was the President of the Nigeria Olympic Committee from 1972 to 1985,
* He became the Pro-Chancellor and Chairman of the Governing Council of the University of Maiduguri from 1984 to 1990,
* He became a member of the Executive Committee of the Lagos State Chamber of Commerce and Industry,
* He became a Director of Industrial and General Insurance Plc,
* Adegbite was appointed 'Commander of the Order of the Niger' (CON).
* He holds the traditional titles of Seriki of Egbaland and Baba Adinni of Egba Muslims,
* On 9 March 2011 President Goodluck Jonathan appointed him Chairman of a Presidential Committee on Public Awareness on Security and Civic Responsibilities,
* Adegbite was Chairman of the Ogun State Pilgrims Board and a member of the National Pilgrims Board,
* Adegbite was appointed the Secretary of Nigeria Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs (NSCIA) in 1988,
* Adegbite was a staunch advocate of the implementation of Shariah Law for Muslims in Nigeria. He once said: "Muslims have no other constitution and law apart from what Sharia had laid down. Sharia as a divine law supersedes all other civil and moral laws",
* Dr Adegbite passed away in his Lagos home on the night of September 28, 2012 at age 79.
* Adegbite is survived by a wife, children and and-children
* The formal death announcement was made by the Ogun State Governor Ibikunle Amosun.
* The Ogun State governor described the NSCIA chieftain as “a strong believer in one Nigeria and a motivator of youths who always preached tolerance and peace at all times.”
* Fashola described the late Adegbite as “a straightforward, honest and courageous personality who spoke the truth at all times.”
* Prof. Ishaq Oloyede, said, “Baba was an academician, a lawyer, a religious leader, a political figure, the whole religious community would surely miss him.”
May Allah bestow His unparallel mercy on him, and grat him Jannah.
Re: ALH ABDUL LATEEF ADEGBITE CON, PH.D; A Tragic Loss Of An Illustrious Exemplar by maclatunji: 11:43am On Sep 29, 2012
^Ameen.
Re: ALH ABDUL LATEEF ADEGBITE CON, PH.D; A Tragic Loss Of An Illustrious Exemplar by LagosShia: 5:29pm On Sep 29, 2012
Inna lillah wa inna ilaihi rajioon.
Re: ALH ABDUL LATEEF ADEGBITE CON, PH.D; A Tragic Loss Of An Illustrious Exemplar by alabees: 6:39pm On Sep 29, 2012
MAY ALMIGHTY GRANT HIM ALJANAH FIRDAUS.
Re: ALH ABDUL LATEEF ADEGBITE CON, PH.D; A Tragic Loss Of An Illustrious Exemplar by VolvoS60(m): 8:26am On Oct 06, 2012
Law prince: ALHAJI ABDUL LATEEF ADEGBITE CON, PH.D

* Adegbite was a staunch advocate of the implementation of Shariah Law for Muslims in Nigeria. He once said: "Muslims have no other constitution and law apart from what Sharia had laid down. Sharia as a divine law supersedes all other civil and moral laws",

^^^^It is very troubling that Alhaji Adegbite held the above view even though he was a citizen in a federal republic and not an Islamic theocracy. You can't have it both ways - you are either in or out. You cannot claim to be a Nigerian citizen, enjoy all the rights and privileges that come with your status and then refuse to fulfil your obligations to your country (on the grounds of a clash between your faith-based law and your country's constitutional law). The bitter irony is that Alhaji Adegbite was a legal scholar.

As I said in another thread, I expected much more from him.
Re: ALH ABDUL LATEEF ADEGBITE CON, PH.D; A Tragic Loss Of An Illustrious Exemplar by Nobody: 1:15pm On Aug 14, 2013
VolvoS60:

^^^^It is very troubling that Alhaji Adegbite held the above view even though he was a citizen in a federal republic and not an Islamic theocracy. You can't have it both ways - you are either in or out. You cannot claim to be a Nigerian citizen, enjoy all the rights and privileges that come with your status and then refuse to fulfil your obligations to your country (on the grounds of a clash between your faith-based law and your country's constitutional law). The bitter irony is that Alhaji Adegbite was a legal scholar.

As I said in another thread, I expected much more from him.
Little wonder he supported terrorism even when its evil effects were daily evident in the killing of innocent people - whole families wiped out,children orphaned, spouses left widowed, public peace and infrastructure put at peril. Quite difficult for me to reconcile all these negatives he stood for with all the good said of him.
Re: ALH ABDUL LATEEF ADEGBITE CON, PH.D; A Tragic Loss Of An Illustrious Exemplar by Nobody: 1:40pm On Aug 14, 2013
@volvos60 and odeotito; while i did not know he supported 'terrorists or terrorism' because he was one of the international group of muslims that came to new york city, in the 2011 after the horrible incident of 911 to show the muslim concerns and position against such a terrible thing on a community. but i can put forward this scenario; sharia where it law of the land coincides with it, is sharia and law of the land in the heart if people. where the law is weaker, the muslim chooses the more intense requirement of the same. where the law of land is lacking, muslim chooses the sharia so that in each case and in an overall overview of citizenry, muslims are required to be more committed and more law abiding than others.

is this scenario of sharia above so bad, tightening the bond more so on the muslims than the law of the land?
Re: ALH ABDUL LATEEF ADEGBITE CON, PH.D; A Tragic Loss Of An Illustrious Exemplar by Nobody: 1:56pm On Aug 14, 2013
RoyPCain: @volvos60 and odeotito; while i did not know he supported 'terrorists or terrorism' because he was one of the international group of muslims that came to new york city, in the 2011 after the horrible incident of 911 to show the muslim concerns and position against such a terrible thing on a community. but i can put forward this scenario; sharia where it law of the land coincides with it, is sharia and law of the land in the heart if people. where the law is weaker, the muslim chooses the more intense requirement of the same. where the law of land is lacking, muslim chooses the sharia so that in each case and in an overall overview of citizenry, muslims are required to be more committed and more law abiding than others.

is this scenario of sharia above so bad, tightening the bond more so on the muslims than the law of the land?
@RoyPCain,your contrib is appreciated.I came to that conclusion because he lobbied strenuously against BH being classified by the U.S. Govt. as a terrorist organization when its activities were clearly so. I thereafter began to think (I could be wrong)that he and Muslim Umma in Nigeria are secretly hoping to profit from the Islamism agenda BH envisions for Nigeria. It seems to me though that BH will do away with The Caliphate as soon it achieves its aim.

(1) (Reply)

.... / Jizya TAXES? / Prostrating/kneeling/bowing to Other Than Allaah for Veneration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.