Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,830 members, 7,810,189 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:53 PM

76,000 Anambra Flood Victims Evacuated By The Military, Others - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 76,000 Anambra Flood Victims Evacuated By The Military, Others (7374 Views)

Yola Bomb Blast: Photos Of Bodies Being Evacuated By Rescue Team / Boko Haram: IBB Blasts Buhari, Military, Others / Triplets Delivered In Anambra Flood Camp (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

76,000 Anambra Flood Victims Evacuated By The Military, Others by LocalChamp: 9:58pm On Oct 02, 2012
Military, others evacuate 76,000 Anambra flood victims
October 2, 2012 by Emmanuel Obe, Awka 100 Comments
Governor Peter Obi of Anambra State (fourth right) with others at the flooded area of Osamalla, Anambra State ... on Monday.
| credits:
More than 76,000 victims of the devastating floods that hit about 200 communities in five local government areas of Anambra State are being evacuated from their homes to relief camps in Onitsha and Nteje.

The evacuation came as reports said two persons, a woman and a boy, died at Ogbaru following the flooding that submerged their homes on Sunday night.

Governor Peter Obi led the evacuation exercise on Monday as he abandoned the Independence anniversary parade review in Awka and headed for Ogbaru Local Government Area whose communities are the hardest hit in the flooding.

Personnel of the Navy, Army, Security and Civil Defence Corps, Federal Road Safety Corps, the Red Cross Society of Nigeria, the Peace Corps and other voluntary agencies were involved in the exercise.

According to a worker of the state Emergency Management Agency, no community in Ogbaru local government, which lies along the River Niger, is spared in the disaster.

He said the flooding paralysed communication and economic activities in the communities.

Meanwhile, many of the victims are being evacuated to the 302 Artillery Regimernt, Onitsha, where the army and other emergency agencies are on hand to resettle them.

Other victims particularly from Ayamelum, Anambra East and Anambra West local government areas are being moved to Nteje, headquarters of Oyi Local Government Area.

But according to the Executive Director of SEMA, Dr. Austin Ijezie, more camps were being opened at the Onitsha South Stadium and other areas to accommodate more victims.

He said, “Twelve buses and trucks have just brought in people to Onitsha and many more loads of them are coming. The situation is getting beyond what the state government alone and SEMA can handle. It is an evolving catastrophe.”

Ijezie, however, said many of the victims were reluctant to move from their ancestral homes.

He said, “Such people are so attached to their homes that they do not want to move.”

Senator Andy Uba, representing Anambra South in the National Assembly, visited the victims at their Onitsha and Ogbaru camps.

http://www.punchng.com/news/military-others-evacuate-76000-anambra-flood-victims/
Re: 76,000 Anambra Flood Victims Evacuated By The Military, Others by EkoAtlantic1(f): 11:22pm On Oct 02, 2012
Why military?! undecided

What's so special in evacuating flood victims that Red cross or any other agency appointed to the designated field can't handle?
Re: 76,000 Anambra Flood Victims Evacuated By The Military, Others by Crayola1: 11:43pm On Oct 02, 2012
The national guard in the US will often get involved in serious cases because they have the ability to mobilize even faster than other agencies.

Really, the fact that 76k people will live to see tomorrow is lower on your priority than the fact that the army assisted in the rescue efforts.

Is your case of tribalism that bad?

10 Likes

Re: 76,000 Anambra Flood Victims Evacuated By The Military, Others by EkoAtlantic1(f): 11:46pm On Oct 02, 2012
Your last phrase, what's the correlation? undecided
Re: 76,000 Anambra Flood Victims Evacuated By The Military, Others by ACM10: 11:48pm On Oct 02, 2012
Eko Atlantic#:
Why military?! undecided

What's so special in evacuating flood victims that Red cross or any other agency appointed to the designated field can't handle?

Pls what do you understand by the word "defence of the country"? Does it only apply to internal or external aggression. Is natural disaster not part of it? Your ignorance knew no bound.

3 Likes

Re: 76,000 Anambra Flood Victims Evacuated By The Military, Others by EkoAtlantic1(f): 12:01am On Oct 03, 2012
^^
I think it's more of external aggression. You can't see an american military officer going about internal rescue.

We've got different bodies/institutes with their areas of specification.
Re: 76,000 Anambra Flood Victims Evacuated By The Military, Others by Englishteacher: 8:08am On Oct 03, 2012
ACM10:

Pls what do you understand by the word "defence of the country"? Does it only apply to internal or external aggression. Is natural disaster not part of it? Your ignorance knew no bound.
If you read through your well crafted comment, the last line leaves a sour taste. "Knew"?
Re: 76,000 Anambra Flood Victims Evacuated By The Military, Others by Diligence: 8:51am On Oct 03, 2012
It is better than chasing out residents of Makoko and having them protest @ Alausa!
Re: 76,000 Anambra Flood Victims Evacuated By The Military, Others by Nobody: 8:53am On Oct 03, 2012
Eko Atlantic#:
^^
I think it's more of external aggression. You can't see an american military officer going about internal rescue.

copy cat, this is not America and pls stop showing the world how ignorant you are on issues

7 Likes

Re: 76,000 Anambra Flood Victims Evacuated By The Military, Others by Nobody: 8:54am On Oct 03, 2012
Eko Atlantic#:
Why military?! undecided

Didn't they teach you the functions of the military in primary/middle school? Have you heard about National guard in the military and what they do? Enlighten yourself and stop embarrassing yourself here. The function of Red Cross is to provide relief and assistance to victims and not EVACUATION. Evacuation as massive as this needs the military.

4 Likes

Re: 76,000 Anambra Flood Victims Evacuated By The Military, Others by Foxybone(m): 8:56am On Oct 03, 2012
THE OLD MAN

Ti ni ni tan a na, biko lo biko
Voices of the children playing reached me
An old man of many years thinking about death
Sitting on a cane chair in my sauro
Overlooking the dusty road of my ungwa
Where development have come and gone
Yet the mud houses still remained
Babu damuwa… Voices in my head echo
That which has a beginning has an ending

I am the old man of premium times
I have witnessed transformation and pure politricks
In my youth I have drawn blood in self-righteousness
To see the candidate of my dream elected
Whose promises were plenteous and inspiring
“The adult can go back to school with the children”
Yes!!! I had always wanted to squat on the taburma
My slate in hand dressed in all white
With my white skull cap on my head
Recite with the teachers as they pass on knowledge
Hold the mysterious pen that wields power

Here am I sitting in my sauro
Years of sweat and following sweet words in vein
I have seen the ruling of many leaders
Yet I still can’t hold the mysterious pen
I have heard the songs of new jingles
Of praises of an inspiring leader
Youths killing themselves over the enticement
Of words coated in sugary flavour
I have seen youths abandon their dreams
In pursuit of this dirty game called politics
I have seen houses divided
Blood spilled without remorse
And if by chance sense is attained
It will be too late to go back in time

Pass me that keg of palmwine
While I drown my sorrows and think of the future
Sitting and hearing the children play
Right in the sauro of my house
While the street remains dusty
Devoid of any development
Politricks a do-or-die affair..
I wonder if I will find that in paradise
When I close my eyes to sleep for eternity
Re: 76,000 Anambra Flood Victims Evacuated By The Military, Others by wandeay: 9:01am On Oct 03, 2012
76,000!! Whoopss!! Wats the government doing to curb this?
Re: 76,000 Anambra Flood Victims Evacuated By The Military, Others by EkoAtlantic1(f): 9:06am On Oct 03, 2012
aguiyi:

copy cat, this is not America and pls stop showing the world how ignorant you are on issues

Wow! Really?
Tell that to nigeria government that has been the "copy cat" in the way it's political system is done since creation
Re: 76,000 Anambra Flood Victims Evacuated By The Military, Others by k2039: 9:10am On Oct 03, 2012
@Foxybone

Re: 76,000 Anambra Flood Victims Evacuated By The Military, Others by Ekeeyhandsome(m): 9:14am On Oct 03, 2012
@first post*Rather than sympathizin with the victims and giving kudoos tø those involved in the evacuation,instead you chose tø show the rest of the wørld how ignorant and unappreciative you are..BYTHEWAY Nice work Peter Obi**and to those affected,its a pity but all thesame,take heart.

1 Like

Re: 76,000 Anambra Flood Victims Evacuated By The Military, Others by EkoAtlantic1(f): 9:15am On Oct 03, 2012
@Foxybone
K2039
Ode meji grin grin
And you copied the whole post to tell him how sick both of you are
grin cheesy grin
Re: 76,000 Anambra Flood Victims Evacuated By The Military, Others by Nobody: 9:31am On Oct 03, 2012
Eko Atlantic#:
^^

and what's wrong if the military evacuated the flood victims? These are people's lives at stake! And if the bodies/institutes that are responsible not available,would you wait for them while people get killed by the flood?

Changing your sexx status from MALE to FEMALE won't change your mode of thinking! Get a life Bro!!

3 Likes

Re: 76,000 Anambra Flood Victims Evacuated By The Military, Others by Singalex(m): 9:32am On Oct 03, 2012
Eko Atlantic#:
^^

At times i wonder where U̶̲̥̅̊ ppl gets ua reasoning 4rm and who told U̶̲̥̅̊ d ameriacan military dont do internal rescue??..military is 4 both internal nd external rescue dats why u see dem on d roads @ checkpoints.

2 Likes

Re: 76,000 Anambra Flood Victims Evacuated By The Military, Others by k2039: 9:33am On Oct 03, 2012
Eko Atlantic#:
@Foxybone
K2039
Ode meji grin grin
And you copied the whole post to tell him how sick both of you are
grin cheesy grin
[img]http://mikelamonica.files./2010/03/noose1.jpg[/img]

1 Like

Re: 76,000 Anambra Flood Victims Evacuated By The Military, Others by Classicalman(m): 10:08am On Oct 03, 2012
Eko Atlantic#:
Why military?! undecided

Must you ofemmanus always criticise every action (Good or Bad) of Governor Obi? What is wrong with the millitary getting involved? Is it not a natural disaster? Don't millitary get involved in rescue operations in the U.S, U.K, asia and other climes?
Re: 76,000 Anambra Flood Victims Evacuated By The Military, Others by slam7000(m): 10:42am On Oct 03, 2012
Classicalman: Must you ofemmanus always criticise every action (Good or Bad) of Governor Obi? What is wrong with the millitary getting involved? Is it not a natural disaster? Don't millitary get involved in rescue operations in the U.S, U.K, asia and other climes?

Direct that comment to ileke and keep all the good people that has the misfortune of sharing ethnicity with her out of this..tnx
Re: 76,000 Anambra Flood Victims Evacuated By The Military, Others by Bezed(m): 10:42am On Oct 03, 2012
Eko Atlantic#:
Why military?! undecided

mr. If you watch your news well, you'll notice that even in forgerin countries, millitary intervanes when it comes to natural disaster.. And flooding is one of it.. And if i may ask, how many red cross offices do you have where you stay, and how may workers works therein that can evacuate 76000..
Re: 76,000 Anambra Flood Victims Evacuated By The Military, Others by redsun(m): 10:57am On Oct 03, 2012
There are floods every where,even in the UK a few people died last week as a result of flooding.But the only snag is that nigeria is ill prepared for the wraths of nature that have become common events these days.Natural disasters that were strange in africa now happens almost on daily basis and the people does not know what to do,because the government,like in every other thing,has no plan.The towns and cities are not design to withstand the strong forces of nature.
Re: 76,000 Anambra Flood Victims Evacuated By The Military, Others by Sanguine77(m): 10:58am On Oct 03, 2012
Eko Atlantic#:
Why military?! undecided

A fool of your magnitude who shows retarded inclination towards the misfortune of hapless people should have himself asphyxiated and decimated: omo jaguda

2 Likes

Re: 76,000 Anambra Flood Victims Evacuated By The Military, Others by k2039: 11:32am On Oct 03, 2012
Eko Atlantic#:
Why military?! undecided

This guy is dumb

1 Like

Re: 76,000 Anambra Flood Victims Evacuated By The Military, Others by OILOFGLADNESS: 12:21pm On Oct 03, 2012
i am trying to hold my tears, ohno, what a national disaster
Re: 76,000 Anambra Flood Victims Evacuated By The Military, Others by Slizbeat(m): 1:07pm On Oct 03, 2012
All of u critics n bad mouthers should pls go to maza maza bus park, board a bus going to onitsha, go straight to d relief camps, chase all the affected pple bk 2 d flooded area n kal d red cross to cm n do re-evacuation, idiots.

1 Like

Re: 76,000 Anambra Flood Victims Evacuated By The Military, Others by eaglechild: 4:32pm On Oct 03, 2012
Eko Atlantic#:
Why military?! undecided

Go to third mainland bridge.
Climb the barrier and take a deep plunge into the ATLANTIC.
_
I'll call the red cross to rescue u.
Ekoloon!
Re: 76,000 Anambra Flood Victims Evacuated By The Military, Others by Leboska(m): 9:06pm On Oct 03, 2012
English_teacher:
If you read through your well crafted comment, the last line leaves a sour taste. "Knew"?

i will sugest u do some thing reasonable with your time.

(1) (Reply)

Oladipo Diya, The Most Cowardly General Of The 21st Century / Group Calls On New Breed Coalition Against Sitting Leadership In Rivers State / How Come Herdsmen Don't Attack these states

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.