Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,673 members, 7,827,471 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 12:29 PM

Biafran Col Joe Achuzia Throws His Own Bombshell - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Biafran Col Joe Achuzia Throws His Own Bombshell (5797 Views)

Why Igbo Elite Are Scared To Back Biafra Struggle – Col. Joe Achuzia / Biafra Did Not Surrender – Achuzia / VANGUARD: Danjuma’s Comments Confirm Genocide Against Igbo – Achuzia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Biafran Col Joe Achuzia Throws His Own Bombshell by chino11(m): 7:20am On Oct 08, 2012
A participant and apparent living encyclopedia of the events that led to the fratricidal civil war in Nigeria between 1967 – 1970, Col Joe Achuzia (Air raid) has joined issues with critics of celebrated novelist, Prof Chinua Achebe, who in his latest work “There was a country,” blamed former head of state, Gen Yakubu Gowon (retd) and the Yoruba political leader, and vice chairman of the then National Executive Council, the late Chief Obafemi Awolowo, of formulating policies that led to the horrendous genocide against the Igbos of Eastern Nigeria.

Achuzia yesterday told Daily Sun that the duo were squarely responsible for the genocide, while dismissing critics of Achebe. Pointedly, he accused Gowon of playing the ostrich while brazen murders of his military superiors and massive genocide were being perpetrated under his watch. He also accused Awolowo of using his position after his release from prison to extract a pound of flesh from his perceived enemies, whom he believed, unwittingly, through the NPC/NCNC Accord (Northern Peoples Congress/National Council of Nigeria Citizens) contributed to his imprisonment.

Achuzia, who is putting finishing touches to his own civil war memoirs, said that when released, it would finally settle the issue, and put the duo in vintage position as prime perpetrators of the genocide of more than three million Easterners who were said to have died during the strife. He went down memory lane to exhume salient facts to buttress the professor’s stand: “I landed in the country from overseas on the day of the July 29 coup. I had known the late Murtala Mohammed and knew he was one of those involved in the crises at the time. He met me at the Murtala Mohammed Airport, Lagos and arranged accommodation for my family and me for two days before we departed for Benin.

There was intense struggle for power between Murtala Mohammed and Gowon before and during the Coup. The middle belt who had more numerical strength in the army supported Gowon.” He continues, “When Gowon took over, he relied more on Awolowo and the permanent secretaries – Allison Ayinda, Phillip Asiodu, in formulating policies. Immediately Awo was released from prison, which Ojukwu was instrumental to, thinking he had a friend, strong anti-Igbo sentiments welled up in the government. Unfortunately Awo never forgives nor forgets.

The events that led him to prison were never lost on him and somehow, the NPC/NCNC accord was the issue. He became the minister of finance and went after the Igbos through his policies. I was in prison when Gowon held the so-called security meeting that declared police action. The strategic studies institute was originally planned to be located in the Mid-West then. Gowon, at the meeting,directed that I should be released from prison and head the institute. The then head of prisons, Giwa Osagie divulged the information to the late Anthony Enahoro and Awo. He suggested that instead of sitting down in a house for the discussion, since walls have ears, they should drive about and talk in the car, so that his secrets would be secured. He forgot that the driver of the car was an Igbo man, who later ran to the superintendent of prisons at Kirikiri and squealled.

The prisons superintendent summoned me and asked the driver to narrate his story again. Thereafter, I demanded to see Barrister Okuzo and the late Chief Collins Obih of ACB (African Continental Bank). They came in the morning to see me and I narrated what I heard to them. Later, they reached out to the military hierarchy including Gowon. Four days after the incident, Osagie was sacked and it caused a lot of commotion. That was in 1970.

Achebe got to know about these and he reflected them in his new book. These two people were responsible for the formulation of policies and execution of the civil war including the genocide. When I release my own book which is in the making, many things will come to the fore. I remember that after the declaration of police action by Gowon, I urged those who used their position to unleash horror and death on innocent people, before and during the civil war, advising those that are still alive among them to seek for forgiveness and atonement of their sins against humanity.

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/national/gowon-awo-behind-genocide-col-achuzia/

5 Likes

Re: Biafran Col Joe Achuzia Throws His Own Bombshell by chino11(m): 7:22am On Oct 08, 2012
Yet another confirmation from the principal actor in the civil war which proves that Ojukwu released Awoalowo from jail.

Backstabbers and evil people of the highest order. Yorrobbers are worst than the devil..

4 Likes

Re: Biafran Col Joe Achuzia Throws His Own Bombshell by Nobody: 7:31am On Oct 08, 2012
Thank you ! Next time you want to go to war engage more Brain power than brawn.

Didn't bother to read your OP cos I know what the content will likely be. If Achuzia say anything contrary to what will suit you guys bloated ego..you will label him a saboteur or betrayal; that is your standard label for anyone with contrary opinion to yours.

But I have news for you: plan and excute another war with the information from history you now have.
Re: Biafran Col Joe Achuzia Throws His Own Bombshell by chino11(m): 7:36am On Oct 08, 2012
ilugunboy: Thank you ! Next time you want to go to war engage more Brain power than brawn.

Didn't bother to read your OP cos I know what the content will likely be. If Achuzia say anything contrary to what will suit you guys bloated ego..you will label him a saboteur or betrayal; that is your standard label for anyone with contrary opinion to yours.

But I have news for you: plan and excute another war with the information from history you now have.

You people that didn't witness war has the highest poverty rate in Nigeria. So who is fooling who.. grin grin

Awoalowo paid the supreme price for his evil atricities by committing suicide.. the same thing will follow all of until you bastards go on your kneels and tender an unreserved apology to Ndigbo
Re: Biafran Col Joe Achuzia Throws His Own Bombshell by Ramcie(f): 7:39am On Oct 08, 2012
An tired of all these war stories. Why didn't they talk about this before Why talking about it now that nigeria is at the brisk of dividing . This stories would only succeed in creating more anarchy than what we are already in. Let bygones be bygones for God's sake. Now this thread would just lead to ethnic bashing and it not good .

1 Like

Re: Biafran Col Joe Achuzia Throws His Own Bombshell by CyberG: 7:40am On Oct 08, 2012
Good! Now ibos can forget any Alliance or future with the west or any hopes of winning presidency in Nigeria. The second civil war in Nigeria will be total annihilation of ibos.

2 Likes

Re: Biafran Col Joe Achuzia Throws His Own Bombshell by kunlekunle: 8:03am On Oct 08, 2012
why this burden on one person, there was a meeting, someone was the spokes person on behalf of the group , why nail him for the speech.
why not gowon and others.
Re: Biafran Col Joe Achuzia Throws His Own Bombshell by Circle360: 8:03am On Oct 08, 2012
This is it, this is just it, the reason why we 9jas are making 5 steps 4wod and 6 steps back. This old Prof with his old story will surely achieve igniting hatred and sentement into citizens heart rather than creating rum 4 peace. 3miln Ndibos where kill RIP so do he nw want another 3miln Hausa and 3miln Yaruba 2 be kill 4 him or them 2 b happy or what? We need idears to mve our country 4wod nt stories that will only create unrest. SHM
Re: Biafran Col Joe Achuzia Throws His Own Bombshell by ektbear: 8:10am On Oct 08, 2012
On Awolowo's shoulders I stand
Re: Biafran Col Joe Achuzia Throws His Own Bombshell by AlakeofEgba: 8:15am On Oct 08, 2012
Somebody should please explain to the Ibos the difference between WAR and GENOCIDE

2 Likes

Re: Biafran Col Joe Achuzia Throws His Own Bombshell by pazienza(m): 8:25am On Oct 08, 2012
Circle360: This is it, this is just it, the reason why we 9jas are making 5 steps 4wod and 6 steps back. This old Prof with his old story will surely achieve igniting hatred and sentement into citizens heart rather than creating rum 4 peace. 3miln Ndibos where kill RIP so do he nw want another 3miln Hausa and 3miln Yaruba 2 be kill 4 him or them 2 b happy or what? We need idears to mve our country 4wod nt stories that will only create unrest. SHM

Achebe didn't do anything,biafra question was swept under the carpet by nigerians,but unfortunately for them,biafra lives and burns in the heart of any noble igboman, i understand your stance,it is easy for you to say lets forget biafra and move on,but believe it or not,as long as one nigeria continues to exist,no igbo man can forget biafra war,how can we? When each time we look at one nigeria,all we see is an evil country built on the blood of our people.

3 Likes

Re: Biafran Col Joe Achuzia Throws His Own Bombshell by DadaStephen1(m): 8:28am On Oct 08, 2012
[quote author=chino11]

You people that didn't witness war has the highest poverty rate in Nigeria. So who is fooling who.. grin grin

Awoalowo paid the supreme price for his evil atricities by committing suicide.. the same thing will follow all of until you bastards go on your kneels and tender an unreserved apology to Ndigbo

Chino11 you need to grow wise. Who says Yorubas are poorer than your unfortunate race?
Your timidity, mischievous attitudes and hypocity, and of course criminal mindedness has brought shame to this country and has reduced you to outcasts.
I had pity for you people and I started a campaign that Presidency is yours next in 2015 trying to build a coalition to fight your cause.
But with all these, I bet you, you people will not only look at the position from afar for the rest of your miserable lives but will continue to be ass lickers.
Why una no attack Hausas Wey dey kill una till today?
Na Yoruba Wey accomodate una offend GOD abi?

1 Like

Re: Biafran Col Joe Achuzia Throws His Own Bombshell by MrGlobe(m): 8:31am On Oct 08, 2012
ekt_bear: On Awolowo's shoulders I stand
Also carry his rat poison along.

9 Likes

Re: Biafran Col Joe Achuzia Throws His Own Bombshell by auwal87(m): 8:38am On Oct 08, 2012
Where can I download/buy this book? Is there an e-book for it? I see so much truth in it.
Re: Biafran Col Joe Achuzia Throws His Own Bombshell by Nobody: 8:39am On Oct 08, 2012
chino11:

Am sure sensible igbos on this forum will shudder when they see your comments. You sound so bitter with life...why not just do your suffering and hateful soul a favour by ending it all..and then pray you don't come to this part of the world in your next life if there will ever be any.
Re: Biafran Col Joe Achuzia Throws His Own Bombshell by preciousoz: 9:03am On Oct 08, 2012
Am realy amazed with the way Nigerian Youth think undecided

Where U there before the War? Even col Achuzia is in the Dark as to what realy started the War.... Am afraid the only people that can tell Nigerians the truth of what the way was about are Ojukwu,Awolowo and Gowon etc not errand boys including Obasanjo,IBB etc... I say this because these guys were under command.

Have U asked urself questions as this-

1. If Biafra (Ibo speaking part of Nigeria) was what Ojukwu was after, why did He Occupy Benin and invaded Ore ?

2. Why the interest in the Niger delta or why not consult the ethnic Minorities of where they stand ?

3. When was Oil discovered in Nigeria and where?

4. Was it because of the Mass killings in the North?

5. Was it selfishness or greed?

These and many more questions we should ask ourselves before jumping into conclusions as we can see today that these people (that fought the civil war) are busy allocating oil blocks to themselves and only those that's not benefiting in any way are coming out to Cry Foul.

If its true that Igbos don't like Hausa's and their lives are in danger (mind U greater number of Ibos are killed daily from bomb blast than any othe ethnicity in the South) what are they doing in Kano and even Maiduguri after the horrible experiences of the Civil War?

Everyday Here, some shameless people come and bash themselves, but when you enter the streets You see igbo people making good money from the street of Lagos and othe western states and the Yorubas in every Bank in the east.

I Swear there's More Tribalism in this Forum than there is in the Street.

We the Future leaders should please forget about these old people that have contributed in leading us astray so they don't use us to settle old Scores. We should forge ahead and Build a better Nation that our childeren will be proud of. We all need each other as a Nation and the Few that trouble us will be no more soon if we the younger generation work together.

There is strenght and beauty in diversity.... Please stop this Gospel of Hate and let this people that have failed us bury their head in Shame.

I Love Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: Biafran Col Joe Achuzia Throws His Own Bombshell by yorubaruler: 9:05am On Oct 08, 2012
The descendants of Awollowao and Gowon would surely pay for the atrocities they committed against the Igbo people. Their is truth in what the noble famous literature icon Chinua Achebe wrote. Both are bunch of war criminals. I stand with the positions of respected yoruba icons like Wole Soyinka, Fela, Gani, Ajasi etc. May the soul of the 2 million REST IN PEACE. AMEN !!!

2 Likes

Re: Biafran Col Joe Achuzia Throws His Own Bombshell by MrGlobe(m): 9:38am On Oct 08, 2012
yoruba ruler :
The descendants of Awollowao and Gowon would surely pay for the atrocities they committed against the Igbo people. Their is truth in what the noble famous literature icon Chinua Achebe wrote. Both are bunch of war criminals. I stand with the positions of respected yoruba icons like Wole Soyinka, Fela, Gani, Ajasi etc. May the soul of the 2 million REST IN PEACE. AMEN !!!
Amen.. the problem is some yoruba people unlike you fail to see Awo for the selfish man and sadist he is
Re: Biafran Col Joe Achuzia Throws His Own Bombshell by ikeyman00(m): 9:52am On Oct 08, 2012
@@@@@@@@@
hausaman

Where can I download/buy this book? Is there an e-book for it? I see so much truth in it.

bitter yaribas let the light shine for once in ur life time

pure haters
Re: Biafran Col Joe Achuzia Throws His Own Bombshell by chino11(m): 10:05am On Oct 08, 2012
ilugunboy:

Am sure sensible igbos on this forum will shudder when they see your comments. You sound so bitter with life...why not just do your suffering and hateful soul a favour by ending it all..and then pray you don't come to this part of the world in your next life if there will ever be any.

Zap you a55hole. You ediots has hidden this truth for decades and now the renowned prof has said it from the roof top. It was your father awaolowo who was so bitter, full of vendata that led him to commit suicide. Maybe you should follow his foot steps and end it all like you ogogoro awoaolowoa
Re: Biafran Col Joe Achuzia Throws His Own Bombshell by CrazyMan(m): 10:06am On Oct 08, 2012
A policy to exterminate a whole race of people or engage in ethnic cleansing is against every rule of war; it is against the UN Geneva convention on war that has been accepted by most nations even before the Nigeria/Biafra conflict.

I am yet to read or see anywhere in the world where Kwashiorkor has ravaged children as it did Igbo children during the Nigeria civil war.

Infact I dare say, the kwashiorkor that visited Biafra children to me is not limited to food or protein deficiency. If investigation or research is done, I will not be surprised if some form of biological or chemical warfare was used.

An uncle of mine that fought in the war in Calabar told me a story where their water supply was poisoned by the federal troops. Do you still think all is fair in war?

People keep calling ojukwu a coward because he lost the war and retreated into the nearest country.

If you must know, cowards never fight any war; yet Ojukwu fought the Nigerian civil war and led Biafra.

We know in Nigeria civil war context who the cowards are. Gowon and Awolowo are among the list.

Achebe and other prominent igbos who fought the war and are now giving their opinions aren't dragging the Yorubas into any feud.

The war is not just between the Hausa vs the Igbo. It's the whole of Nigeria vs Biafra. The Yorubas were very much in the war and we know which side they fought.

1 Like

Re: Biafran Col Joe Achuzia Throws His Own Bombshell by Abagworo(m): 10:08am On Oct 08, 2012
preciousoz: Am realy amazed with the way Nigerian Youth think undecided

Where U there before the War? Even col Achuzia is in the Dark as to what realy started the War.... Am afraid the only people that can tell Nigerians the truth of what the way was about are Ojukwu,Awolowo and Gowon etc not errand boys including Obasanjo,IBB etc... I say this because these guys were under command.

Have U asked urself questions as this-

1. If Biafra (Ibo speaking part of Nigeria) was what Ojukwu was after, why did He Occupy Benin and invaded Ore ?

2. Why the interest in the Niger delta or why not consult the ethnic Minorities of where they stand ?

3. When was Oil discovered in Nigeria and where?

4. Was it because of the Mass killings in the North?

5. Was it selfishness or greed?

These and many more questions we should ask ourselves before jumping into conclusions as we can see today that these people (that fought the civil war) are busy allocating oil blocks to themselves and only those that's not benefiting in any way are coming out to Cry Foul.

If its true that Igbos don't like Hausa's and their lives are in danger (mind U greater number of Ibos are killed daily from bomb blast than any othe ethnicity in the South) what are they doing in Kano and even Maiduguri after the horrible experiences of the Civil War?

Everyday Here, some shameless people come and bash themselves, but when you enter the streets You see igbo people making good money from the street of Lagos and othe western states and the Yorubas in every Bank in the east.

I Swear there's More Tribalism in this Forum than there is in the Street.

We the Future leaders should please forget about these old people that have contributed in leading us astray so they don't use us to settle old Scores. We should forge ahead and Build a better Nation that our childeren will be proud of. We all need each other as a Nation and the Few that trouble us will be no more soon if we the younger generation work together.

There is strenght and beauty in diversity.... Please stop this Gospel of Hate and let this people that have failed us bury their head in Shame.

I Love Nigeria

We are not in the dark as to what led to the war. Nzeogwu, Ifeajuna and some other young military officers who were mostly Igbos from present Delta State staged a foiled coup and rather than see it as a military coup, there was a massacre of Igbo and Igbo-like people across the country. Many of these Igbo-like people are from present day Rivers, Delta, Akwa Ibom and Cross river States. After the counter-coup against Ironsi came an attempted genocide against the Igbo race across the North. The secession and declaration of Biafra was an Eastern Nigeria issue and not particularly Igbo but the other groups changed sides and some Igbos denied their roots just to survive leaving only the present day Southeast and Anioma as the worst hit.

The Nigerians fought for oil because Biafra was oil rich. Oil was already being pumped in Igbo area(Oguta,Egbema, Owaza) and Ijaw area(Ogbia, Oloibiri) while Biafra fought for survival.

1 Like

Re: Biafran Col Joe Achuzia Throws His Own Bombshell by Nobody: 10:26am On Oct 08, 2012
Let us split Nigeria now.
Re: Biafran Col Joe Achuzia Throws His Own Bombshell by Ngodigha1(m): 10:31am On Oct 08, 2012
[quote author=Dada-Stephen][/quote]
Yorubas are the largest users of black and white TV today. Why is that?. Because they are so poor.

5 Likes

Re: Biafran Col Joe Achuzia Throws His Own Bombshell by ezotik: 11:00am On Oct 08, 2012
chino11:

Achuzia, who is putting finishing touches to his own civil war memoirs

oh no, not another memoir.
Re: Biafran Col Joe Achuzia Throws His Own Bombshell by chino11(m): 11:02am On Oct 08, 2012
Ngodigha1:
Yorubas are the largest users of black and white TV today. Why is that?. Because they are so poor.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Biafran Col Joe Achuzia Throws His Own Bombshell by Nobody: 11:09am On Oct 08, 2012
If you are expecting an apology from us....then you will wait till you all rot away. cool cool

In war...no one play father xmas to his supposed enemy!
Re: Biafran Col Joe Achuzia Throws His Own Bombshell by ikeyman00(m): 11:13am On Oct 08, 2012
^^^ but u are right but awo-frog still deserve 50 yrs in jail

like u said this should be father-chrismas eh
Re: Biafran Col Joe Achuzia Throws His Own Bombshell by WilyWily5: 11:18am On Oct 08, 2012
Ngodigha1:
Kei, Yoruba people don suffer for Nigeria,

4 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lost In Nigeria- By Accraman / Yakubu Gowon Makes List Of Most Murderous Dictators In Human History (see Chart) / Ben kalu Describes Certificate Saga As A Distraction, Attempt To Dent His Image

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.