Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,167 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:05 AM

Is Ojukwu A Gen Or Lt. Col? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Ojukwu A Gen Or Lt. Col? (3755 Views)

Old Photo Of General Babangida, Lt. Col Dimka And Their Coursemates As Cadets / Photo: General Murtala Mohammed Shakes Hand With Lt. Col. Babangida In 1975 / Ojukwu: A Giant Who Lived For Others - Prof Achebe's Tribute To Ojukwu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Ojukwu A Gen Or Lt. Col? by sleekmike(m): 2:39pm On Jan 23, 2008
Whatever you call him, the name Ojukwu stands as a great man, unequalled leader, great advocate of equality, freedom and human rights. He is greater than a general, more intelligent than any general the Nigerian army ever produced. Infact Dim Chukwuemeka is a phenomenom,a revolution and a legend.[color=#006600][/color]
Re: Is Ojukwu A Gen Or Lt. Col? by youngies(m): 3:48pm On Jan 23, 2008
dafur

I stand to be corrected, I can't remember any of the wars fought in the recent time that the protagonist of the war didn't think that they will triumph, but alas they fail.

Hitler with all his might, panzers, u-boats and Conc. camps believed that he will annihilate the Jews and conquer the world - of course you do not need to be reminded that he failed flat.

The Soviet Union believed so much that they will win the cold war - what happened? Instead they got disintegrated

From the President Bush's projections he told the American people that the Taliban in Afghanistan will be smoked out the caves and summarily finished off in 2 weeks - We know what has happened.

Need we mention Bush colossal failure in the war against terrorism in Iraq? While not forgetting what happened to the Americans in the Vietnam War or the Britons in the Falkland war.

You see dafur, it is so easy to sit in the comfort of you room with the luxury of a PC and be cranking texts over the internet with your distorted perception of events that you never witnessed first hand.

If you are truly Igbo, you know that our people say "ejighi mgbagbu agha ogu" meaning - you can't because someone will be injured or killed avoid a fight.
If ndi Igbo didn't go into the war as they did in 1967, it would have been recorded as the greatest act of cowardice in man's history.

Point to note for gullible minds: ndi Igbo did not go into the war because they think they will win as dafur will want you to believe, they were simply defending themselves from an impending annihilation from the Nigeria State.
Re: Is Ojukwu A Gen Or Lt. Col? by darfur(m): 4:30pm On Jan 23, 2008
@planner,
the elders probably fell for his rhetorics thinking they have what it takes to win the war.if the elders knew what he knew they woulda prolly adviced against it. otherwise, the elders are also guilty as charged.

@lafile,
I’ll like to address him as General Ojukwu too. But this is the Nigerian Army here Addresing him and they see him as a lt col. He was not recognised by the Nigerian army as a general and that’s it. Period. If I go to Europe and they don’t recognise my degree, I’ll simply write their own exam. Na quarrel?

@planner,
if it pains me that 2.5 million igbos died including women and children and you are more concerned about your hero then I am more igbo than you.
youngies:

dafur

I stand to be corrected, I can't remember any of the wars fought in the recent time that the protagonist of the war didn't think that they will triumph, but alas they fail.

Hitler with all his might, panzers, u-boats and Conc. camps believed that he will annihilate the Jews and conquer the world - of course you do not need to be reminded that he failed flat.

The Soviet Union believed so much that they will win the cold war - what happened? Instead they got disintegrated

From the President Bush's projections he told the American people that the Taliban in Afghanistan will be smoked out the caves and summarily finished off in 2 weeks - We know what has happened.

Need we mention Bush colossal failure in the war against terrorism in Iraq? While not forgetting what happened to the Americans in the Vietnam War or the Britons in the Falkland war.

You see dafur, it is so easy to sit in the comfort of you room with the luxury of a PC and be cranking texts over the internet with your distorted perception of events that you never witnessed first hand.

If you are truly Igbo, you know that our people say "ejighi mgbagbu agha ogu" meaning - you can't because someone will be injured or killed avoid a fight.
If ndi Igbo didn't go into the war as they did in 1967, it would have been recorded as the greatest act of cowardice in man's history.

Point to note for gullible minds: ndi Igbo did not go into the war because they think they will win as dafur will want you to believe, they were simply defending themselves from an impending annihilation from the Nigeria State.

@youngies
thanks for being polite in your disagreement. This way we can debate issues. Ist of all, armies look at themselves and imagine if they have what it takes.

Hitler had used about 6yrs for re-armament b4 he declared war in Europe and he actually did conguer Europe b4 the US came. He never wanted to fight the US at the time. May be later. But not at that time.

Bush actually destroyed saddam and Afghanistan. But the issue is that he won the war but did not win the peace. So he was deemed a failure. But militarily he won. Infact, the Iraqis were wiser than Ojukwu at some point. When the war came to Baghdad, the defence disappeared and the marines virtually walked in. they changed tactics. Americans controlled the city while they used guerrilla warfare. They knew they were no match for the Americans face-to-face.

Soviet union and even the US knew that each had nuclear capability. Watch the movie I3 days. It’s about the Cuban missile crisis. There you’ll see how much both sides did not want to go to war . . BECAUSE THEY KNEW THE RESULT OF DOING SO.
Yeah, the igbos say that “ejighi ekwo maka mgbagbu ghara i ga agha” (you cant avoid war b/c of the possibility of death) but why, why,why,why in God’s earth, why is it that when the war enters the door steps of the leaders, they surrender or vamoose.why?whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

MLK led the demonstration for the civil rights movts. He had fears of death. Yet he led the demonstrations and eventually got killed.sadly. why do war leaders hide. Hitler was even better, after the war, he did not beg to live. The coward shot himself. Ojukwu did not even shoot himself. He so loved life that he ran away, came back, joined politics, went for a beauty gueen,( young enough to be his daughter even against the advice of her dad, which is very very very un-igbo take note)

And while the innocent igbos were fighting to protect themselves Ojukwu, the hero, ordered the invasion of western Nigeria. The mid-west was overrun by biafran soldiers and they went as far as Ore. Closing in on lagos. Hmmmn open your nose and smell some imperialistic appetite bro

got a lecture to attend.catch ya later. keep the debate free of abuses.
Re: Is Ojukwu A Gen Or Lt. Col? by Germannig: 4:43pm On Jan 23, 2008
What the hell is that? Ojukwu is simply a General, Biafran or Nigerian, does not matter. A General is a General. The argument here has no standing because Ojukwu himself knows he was not a General of the Nigerian Army but a full-blooded one in the Biafran army. Since you cannot refer to ''Biafra'' and Ojukwu's role in it without properly placing him, it goes then that any objective emphasis on ''Biafra'' and ''Ojukwu'' would refer to him as ''General''. That, is the logical perspective.

For e.g.,

On what basis would you say: Former Biafran leader Lt. Col. Ojukwu, blah, blah, blah?

When the right thing is: Former Biafran leader General Ojukwu, blah, blah, blah?
Re: Is Ojukwu A Gen Or Lt. Col? by ochocinco1(m): 4:48pm On Jan 23, 2008
Germannig:

What the hell is that? Ojukwu is simply a General, Biafran or Nigerian, does not matter. A General is a General. The argument here has no standing because Ojukwu himself knows he was not a General of the Nigerian Army but a full-blooded one in the Biafran army. Since you cannot refer to ''Biafra'' and Ojukwu's role in it without properly placing him, it goes then that any objective emphasis on ''Biafra'' and ''Ojukwu'' would refer to him as ''General''. That, is the logical perspective.

Amadioha shocked shocked shocked

This is the result when academics get themselves in a muddle
Re: Is Ojukwu A Gen Or Lt. Col? by ishmael(m): 4:51pm On Jan 23, 2008
What about Field Marshal Idi Amin?? Don't people still call him Field Marshal Idi Amin till today??
Re: Is Ojukwu A Gen Or Lt. Col? by maxsiollun: 4:57pm On Jan 23, 2008
No one is doubting that Igbos were wronged and had a just cause. However the issues were: (i) was secession the only option available to Ojukwu? (ii) Even if secession was the only option, could he have timed it dfferently/delayed till such time as Biafra had fighting capability?

ishmael:

Had it been the reverse was the case that ibos were the ones killing thousands of northerners in the east, and Gowon decided to create an arewa republic leaving the ibos to be on their own and a civil war eventually starts, would anybody or anyone be saying that Gowon was wrong to have gone into war with the east??

You people don't know what happened to the ibos living in the north then thats why you are blaming Ojukwu. Ibos were killed and slaughtered like chicken, goat and ram in all part of the north. And you expect their leader not to protect them by fighting against their enemies??
Re: Is Ojukwu A Gen Or Lt. Col? by Germannig: 5:01pm On Jan 23, 2008
@M
maxsiollun:

(ii) Even if secession was the only option, could he have timed it dfferently/delayed till such time [b][/b]as Biafra had fighting capability?

By which time Igbos would have been completely wiped out by the rampaging hausa/fulani elements, abi?
Re: Is Ojukwu A Gen Or Lt. Col? by ochocinco1(m): 5:03pm On Jan 23, 2008
@Germannig

Ojukwu is one lucky man o

If he had won the war he would be hailed a hero

he lost the war--he is still hailed a hero

that is a classic case of having your cake and eating it
Re: Is Ojukwu A Gen Or Lt. Col? by Germannig: 5:06pm On Jan 23, 2008
Ocho cinco,

I am not particularly a fan of Ojukwu or any Nigerian for that matter. I feel it is only right to do the right thing.
Re: Is Ojukwu A Gen Or Lt. Col? by youngies(m): 5:07pm On Jan 23, 2008
thanks for being polite in your disagreement. This way we can debate issues. Ist of all, armies look at themselves and imagine if they have what it takes.

Hitler had used about 6yrs for re-armament before he declared war in Europe and he actually did conguer Europe before the US came. He never wanted to fight the US at the time. May be later. But not at that time.

Good to hear that Hitler had it all figured out but still failed because of some unforseen circumstances. Therefore there is no guarantee that had Ikemba and the elders waited to stockpile arms and train soldiers like you recommended, it is still possible that due to some other factors they could have also failed.

Bush actually destroyed saddam and Afghanistan. But the issue is that he won the war but did not win the peace. So he was deemed a failure. But militarily he won.

cheesy Either you are simply being dishonest or you are simply playing with words

Infact, the Iraqis were wiser than Ojukwu at some point. When the war came to Baghdad, the defence disappeared and the marines virtually walked in. they changed tactics. Americans controlled the city while they used guerrilla warfare. They knew they were no match for the Americans face-to-face.

Meaning that ndi Igbo could have waited patiently until the rampaging northern murderers bring the progrom to Owerri or Abagana before they will react. I fail to see the correlation and your point here

Soviet union and even the US knew that each had nuclear capability. Watch the movie I3 days. It’s about the Cuban missile crisis. There you’ll see how much both sides did not want to go to war . . BECAUSE THEY KNEW THE RESULT OF DOING SO.

dafur, you know you could be very funny and insulting atimes, it has reached the point of recommending a movie (make belive) acted by Americans in order for me to understand the intrigues of the cold war. Thanks for the movie, but it simply a movie and not the war coded transcript.

Yeah, the igbos say that “ejighi ekwo maka mgbagbu ghara i ga agha” (you can't avoid war b/c of the possibility of death) but why, why,why,why in God’s earth, why is it that when the war enters the door steps of the leaders, they surrender or vamoose.why?whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

I don't think you really want to know why

MLK led the demonstration for the civil rights movts. He had fears of death. Yet he led the demonstrations and eventually got killed.sadly. why do war leaders hide. Hitler was even better, after the war, he did not beg to live. The coward shot himself. Ojukwu did not even shoot himself. He so loved life that he ran away, came back, joined politics, went for a beauty gueen,( young enough to be his daughter even against the advice of her dad, which is very very very un-igbo take note)

I now see your grouse with Ikemba, but you could have been kind enough to tell us the age of Bianca when she got married to Ikemba. I'm sure she wasn't 12

And while the innocent igbos were fighting to protect themselves Ojukwu, the hero, ordered the invasion of western Nigeria. The mid-west was overrun by biafran soldiers and they went as far as Ore. Closing in on lagos. Hmmmn open your nose and smell some imperialistic appetite bro

You have simply expresses your ignorance of military tactics, you have never heard that "attack is the best form of defence?"
Re: Is Ojukwu A Gen Or Lt. Col? by bawomol(m): 5:29pm On Jan 23, 2008
You have simply expresses your ignorance of military tactics, you have never heard that "attack is the best form of defence?"

then why not attack the north, which was the strongbase of the nigerian army. why annex the midwest, don't ijaws and istekiris(sp) have a right to self-determination 2.
Re: Is Ojukwu A Gen Or Lt. Col? by youngies(m): 5:36pm On Jan 23, 2008
No bro, you don't attack the north, you attack the heart of the problem - which is the seat of power. . . Lagos
Re: Is Ojukwu A Gen Or Lt. Col? by bawomol(m): 7:30pm On Jan 23, 2008
No bro, you don't attack the north, you attack the heart of the problem - which is the seat of power. . . Lagos

but why attack lagos if ur goal is independence and not colonization?? shouldn't the biafrans have been more concerned with defending their border rather than penetrating deep into the western region. u know damn well the biafran army didnt' have the abilities to sustain such an offensive.
Re: Is Ojukwu A Gen Or Lt. Col? by youngies(m): 7:40pm On Jan 23, 2008
Slow down, don't get it muddled up. The aim of ndi Igbo as at that time was neither independence nor to colonisation. There goal was simply to adopt a defensive mechanism that will prevent the Nigerian State from driving them into extinction.
Re: Is Ojukwu A Gen Or Lt. Col? by bawomol(m): 7:44pm On Jan 23, 2008
if the aim wasn't independence, then why declare the republic of biafra??
Re: Is Ojukwu A Gen Or Lt. Col? by youngies(m): 7:48pm On Jan 23, 2008
The Republic of Biafra was declared as a response to the non comittment of the Nigerian government headed by northerners to stop the progrom in the north
Re: Is Ojukwu A Gen Or Lt. Col? by ishmael(m): 8:40am On Jan 24, 2008
Northerners were wicked to the easterners, so there was no reason living in the same country with them; that was why Ojukwu declared Biafra republic.
Re: Is Ojukwu A Gen Or Lt. Col? by Planner(m): 9:11am On Jan 24, 2008
Dafur,
You said that Ojukwu and the Elders who were his advisers were hasty in declaring Biafran republic with devastating consequences. So I want to ask you.When in your won opinion should have been the right time?

moreso, as MLK said, the greatest enemies of people are not the extremist but those who while sitting on the fence urge for a postponemet of change to an "appriopriate" time.
Re: Is Ojukwu A Gen Or Lt. Col? by Sijien(m): 11:12am On Jan 24, 2008
darfur:

@planner,
the elders probably fell for his rhetorics thinking they have what it takes to win the war.if the elders knew what he knew they woulda prolly adviced against it. otherwise, the elders are also guilty as charged.

@lafile,
I’ll like to address him as General Ojukwu too. But this is the Nigerian Army here Addresing him and they see him as a lt col. He was not recognised by the Nigerian army as a general and that’s it. Period. If I go to Europe and they don’t recognise my degree, I’ll simply write their own exam. Na quarrel?

@planner,
if it pains me that 2.5 million igbos died including women and children and you are more concerned about your hero then I am more igbo than you.@youngies

Hitler had used about 6yrs for re-armament before he declared war in Europe and he actually did conguer Europe before the US came. He never wanted to fight the US at the time. May be later. But not at that time.

Bush actually destroyed saddam and Afghanistan. But the issue is that he won the war but did not win the peace. So he was deemed a failure. But militarily he won. Infact, the Iraqis were wiser than Ojukwu at some point. When the war came to Baghdad, the defence disappeared and the marines virtually walked in. they changed tactics. Americans controlled the city while they used guerrilla warfare. They knew they were no match for the Americans face-to-face.

Yeah, the igbos say that “ejighi ekwo maka mgbagbu ghara i ga agha” (you can't avoid war b/c of the possibility of death) but why, why,why,why in God’s earth, why is it that when the war enters the door steps of the leaders, they surrender or vamoose.why?whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

got a lecture to attend.catch ya later. keep the debate free of abuses.

my guy are you chxta in disguise?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Association Of Witches And Wizards Ask Jonathan To Return Back To N65 / GEJ Finished And Commissioned Projects In Southwest Alone. / Will Osinbanjo Still Remain A True Pastor After Joining Himself With Buhari?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.