Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,636 members, 7,820,235 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:56 AM

Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. (5282 Views)

Ese Walter Denounces Jesus, Says She No Longer Believes In God / "I Serve A God Who Answers Prayers" - American Doctor Cured Of Ebola / My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by Kay17: 9:01pm On Oct 13, 2012
Ihedinobi:

Could you please define self-sufficiency?

"Self-sufficiency is the state of not requiring any aid, support, or interaction, for survival"
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by Nobody: 9:51pm On Oct 13, 2012
Kay 17:

"Self-sufficiency is the state of not requiring any aid, support, or interaction, for survival"

Could you please show how that invalidates my use of it in the op?
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by Kay17: 10:10pm On Oct 13, 2012
^^
Didn't say it was invalid, rather inadequate
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by Nobody: 10:13pm On Oct 13, 2012
Kay 17: ^^
Didn't say it was invalid, rather inadequate

Ok. What makes it inadequate?
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by chukkynwob(m): 1:28am On Feb 14, 2013
And the resounding silence!!! It has lasted for 4months now
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by Kay17: 6:19am On Feb 14, 2013
@iheindon

For this reason

Kay 17:

Supernatural popped up in one of the definition, and as I said before, self sufficiency is inadequate, cos it doesnt address a conscious being, or attach any role of a Creator, or an object of worship or morality.
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by Nobody: 11:11pm On Feb 14, 2013
Are you saying that a conscious being cannot be self-sufficient? Or that a creator cannot be self-sufficient? Or an object of morality and worship cannpt be self-sufficient?

By the way, I have responded on the other thread. Currently waiting on you.
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by Ishilove: 11:22pm On Feb 14, 2013
Don't you people ever get tired of the cyclical, fruitless arguments?
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by MacDaddy01: 11:27pm On Feb 14, 2013
Ishilove: Don't you people ever get tired of the cyclical, fruitless arguments?

Coming from the repetitive romance section addict. Always looking for textual love

smiley
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by Ishilove: 11:30pm On Feb 14, 2013
MacDaddy01:

Coming from the repetitive romance section addict. Always looking for textual love

smiley

You must have me mistaken for someone else, LB. I visit that section once in a blue moon undecided
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by MacDaddy01: 11:34pm On Feb 14, 2013
Ishilove:
You must have me mistaken for someone else, LB. I visit that section once in a blue moon undecided

Yet, your thread made frontpage. How?
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by Ishilove: 12:01am On Feb 15, 2013
MacDaddy01:

Yet, your thread made frontpage. How?
It's a mystery.
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by Kay17: 11:14am On Feb 15, 2013
Ihedinobi: Are you saying that a conscious being cannot be self-sufficient? Or that a creator cannot be self-sufficient? Or an object of morality and worship cannpt be self-sufficient?

By the way, I have responded on the other thread. Currently waiting on you.

You earlier defined God as just self sufficient, and I'm saying that God being only self sufficient, doesn't say if he is a creator or conscious, which are attributes you want to give to God.
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by Nobody: 9:39pm On Feb 15, 2013
Kay 17:

You earlier defined God as just self sufficient, and I'm saying that God being only self sufficient, doesn't say if he is a creator or conscious, which are attributes you want to give to God.

Alright, how does self-sufficiency exclude creatorhood or consciousness?

And, why does your definition of God have to include consciousness and creatorhood?
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by Enigma(m): 9:45pm On Feb 15, 2013
Digression

Ihe, how bodi? smiley

/Digression
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by Nobody: 9:54pm On Feb 15, 2013
Enigma: Digression

Ihe, how bodi? smiley

/Digression

I've been having an extremely tough time, Enigma, thanks for asking. How have you been, brother?
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by Enigma(m): 10:00pm On Feb 15, 2013
I'm ok on the whole; let's do email? smiley
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by MacDaddy01: 10:03pm On Feb 15, 2013
Enigma: I'm ok on the whole; let's do email? smiley

smiley

Yeah...lets do email smiley

Would you like to read an atheist poem about god? smiley
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by JeSoul(f): 10:14pm On Feb 15, 2013
Ihedinobi:

I've been having an extremely tough time , Enigma, thanks for asking. How have you been, brother?
Just tell me who is messing with my brother Ihedinobi and I'll take them out quick...just say the word...my spiritual 9mm is on standby.
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by Nobody: 10:21pm On Feb 15, 2013
Enigma: I'm ok on the whole; let's do email? smiley

Sure. Thanks.
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by Nobody: 10:25pm On Feb 15, 2013
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by Nobody: 10:25pm On Feb 15, 2013
JeSoul: Just tell me who is messing with my brother Ihedinobi and I'll take them out quick...just say the word...my spiritual 9mm is on standby.

Oh Lord! The LOVE!! Mehn, am I glad to be born in this house. smiley Thanks sis.
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by MacDaddy01: 10:42pm On Feb 15, 2013
MacDaddy01:

smiley

Yeah...lets do email smiley

Would you like to read an atheist poem about god? smiley

Enigma? Where is the christian love?
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by Kay17: 11:36pm On Feb 15, 2013
Ihedinobi:

Alright, how does self-sufficiency exclude creatorhood or consciousness?

And, why does your definition of God have to include consciousness and creatorhood?

It doesn't exclude or include creatorhood and consciousness either. So you ought to have added more attributes other than simply self sufficiency.

One more point on self sufficiency, it implies a lack of want and need.
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by Nobody: 1:13am On Feb 16, 2013
Kay 17:

It doesn't exclude or include creatorhood and consciousness either. So you ought to have added more attributes other than simply self sufficiency.

One more point on self sufficiency, it implies a lack of want and need.

Quite the gymnast, my friend, aren't you? It does get old at a point.

You obviously have a problem with my choosing self-sufficiency as the full definition of God. What exactly is this problem? You want me to give a full list of attributes ascribable to God? Very simply, self-sufficiency is a sufficient definition for God because that which is God is that which is completely satisfied in itself, it is that which owes its existence to nothing, it is that which finally explains existence and all questions associated with it. Whether or not it is a creator or conscious or whatever does not make it less or more self-sufficient. We may argue whether or not that which is self-sufficient must also be a creator or conscious or any other thing, but that is another issue altogether. Basically, that which is God is that without any need. Now, I have posited in the op that no worldview is completely devoid of an element of self-sufficiency, do you disagree?

And, self-suFficiency does imply a lack of need but not of want by which I mean desire.

1 Like

Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by MacDaddy01: 1:19am On Feb 16, 2013
Ihedinobi:

You obviously have a problem with my choosing self-sufficiency as the full definition of God. What exactly is this problem? You want me to give a full list of attributes ascribable to God? Very simply, self-sufficiency is a sufficient definition for God because that which is God is that which is completely satisfied in itself, it is that which owes its existence to nothing, it is that which finally explains existence and all questions associated with it. Whether or not it is a creator or conscious or whatever does not make it less or more self-sufficient. We may argue whether or not that which is self-sufficient must also be a creator or conscious or any other thing, but that is another issue altogether. Basically, that which is God is that without any need. Now, I have posited in the op that no worldview is completely devoid of an element of self-sufficiency, do you disagree?

And, self-suFficiency does imply a lack of need but not of want by which I mean desire.

Anomy! what have you done to ihedinobi?
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by Nobody: 2:55am On Feb 16, 2013
Ihedinobi:

I've been having an extremely tough time, Enigma, thanks for asking. How have you been, brother?

It is well my brother... remember, the God you serve is more than able to see you through.
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by Nobody: 4:22am On Feb 16, 2013
davidylan:

It is well my brother... remember, the God you serve is more than able to see you through.

Thank you very much, dear brother.
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by Kay17: 5:41pm On Feb 16, 2013
Ihedinobi:

Yet you can not subtract Consciousness and some form of freewill from God's character and leave him the same. There would be some substantial difference. God is a Person who consciously takes decisions and options.

Absolute self sufficieny eliminates all needs, wants and DESIRES, and leaves one with a sense of total satisfaction.

To your question, your OP was vague/ambiguous. Self sufficieny what?
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by Nobody: 6:19pm On Feb 16, 2013
Kay 17:

Yet you can not subtract Consciousness and some form of freewill from God's character and leave him the same. There would be some substantial difference. God is a Person who consciously takes decisions and options.

Absolute self sufficieny eliminates all needs, wants and DESIRES, and leaves one with a sense of total satisfaction.

To your question, your OP was vague/ambiguous. Self sufficieny what?

Kay 17:

The above was your definition of self-sufficiency. You may stop wasting my time now.

PS: I'm getting off the merry-go-round, that's why I'm ignoring the rest of your post.

Edited
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by Nobody: 6:48pm On Feb 16, 2013
Ihedinobi:

The above was your definition of self-sufficiency. You may stop wasting my time now.

PS: I'm getting off the merry-go-round, that's why I'm ignoring the rest of your post.

Edited
Just popped in to say hi.. Hw u dey? cheesy
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by Nobody: 6:54pm On Feb 16, 2013
musKeeto:
Just popped in to say hi.. Hw u dey? cheesy

I'm fine, man. How you been?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Athiesm The "No God" Religion / Coronavirus: Oyedepo Attacks Govt Over Closure Of Schools, Malls / The Birth And Death Of Yahweh(from The BOOK OF TRUTH)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.