Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,823 members, 7,820,891 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:51 AM

Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. (5286 Views)

Ese Walter Denounces Jesus, Says She No Longer Believes In God / "I Serve A God Who Answers Prayers" - American Doctor Cured Of Ebola / My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by Iyineda(m): 3:39pm On Feb 18, 2013
Lol OP. I refute the title of this thread simply because I am what you call an agnostic and I sure as hell do NOT believe in a god.
Superior entities, maybe. But God the way "He" is described in so-called holy scriptures, no.
I was raised a Christian (Anglican and Cross-bearer). Events in life have led me to believe (or not to believe) in some things.

What I am sure of is that religion is one of the things that brings the worst out of humanity. I have nothing against faith, but once said faith is institutionalized and dogmatized, I see it as a tool to manipulate the simple-minded. I am not even going to talk about refuting some events that are said to have occured in the "holy" scriptures such as the Bible. I just can't take people seriously when they strongly believe Man was made out of sand. Just like that...
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by Nobody: 4:00pm On Feb 18, 2013
Iyineda: Lol OP. I refute the title of this thread simply because I am what you call an agnostic and I sure as hell do NOT believe in a god.
Superior entities, maybe. But God the way "He" is described in so-called holy scriptures, no.
I was raised a Christian (Anglican and Cross-bearer). Events in life have led me to believe (or not to believe) in some things.

What I am sure of is that religion is one of the things that brings the worst out of humanity. I have nothing against faith, but once said faith is institutionalized and dogmatized, I see it as a tool to manipulate the simple-minded. I am not even going to talk about refuting some events that are said to have occured in the "holy" scriptures such as the Bible. I just can't take people seriously when they strongly believe Man was made out of sand. Just like that...

Ok. What superior entities? And what do you mean when you say you believe in them?
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by Iyineda(m): 4:12pm On Feb 18, 2013
Ihedinobi:

Ok. What superior entities? And what do you mean when you say you believe in them?

The term "superior entities" is vague. I don't know exactly how to explain myself on that one.
An agnostic is a skeptic by nature. He/she believes in what they see, things that are intelligible, that make sense in their limited understanding of life.
I cannot stand here and say: "God does not exist". But I can say "I don't believe in the holy scriptures called the Bible, the Torah or the Quran. Those scriptures are intelligible enough for me to give my opinion because they are interpreted with words that I can grasp. So I choose to believe... or not to.

Science is the closest thing to "God" in the way I understand life today because it has given me far more facts and clues about my existence than any other medium. But I say closest because I know that science does not (yet) have all the answers.
I say "yet" to an extent because science, like humanity, keeps developping, progressing in knowledge and awareness. So we could imagine that some day, we could get all our answers through science. But I am not telling anyone to hold their breaths. wink
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by Nobody: 4:23pm On Feb 18, 2013
Thanks for the education, but I actually am not ignorant of agnosticism or what an agnostic is. By the way, humans are skeptics by nature, doesn't mean we're all agnostics. And, we could discuss agnosticism more in depth as we go on. The question here is what do you mean when you say you believe in superior entities? You can leave off identifying these entities if it's too difficult for you.
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by Iyineda(m): 4:28pm On Feb 18, 2013
Ihedinobi: Thanks for the education, but I actually am not ignorant of agnosticism or what an agnostic is. By the way, humans are skeptics by nature, doesn't mean we're all agnostics. And, we could discuss agnosticism more in depth as we go on. The question here is what do you mean when you say you believe in superior entities? You can leave off identifying these entities if it's too difficult for you.

I probably shouldn't have addressed the issue the way I did. Your focus on these "superior entities" is overshadowing everything else. grin
Besides, don't forget the "maybe" I included. Maybe I believe in their existence. Maybe not. I don't have all the answers, clearly.
Just to satisfy your curiosity, understand superior entities as laws of creation (which could be simple atoms or a force that cannot be explained by science as it is known today).
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by Nobody: 4:40pm On Feb 18, 2013
Ok. So maybe you believe in laws of creation, maybe you don't?
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by Iyineda(m): 5:00pm On Feb 18, 2013
Ihedinobi: Ok. So maybe you believe in laws of creation, maybe you don't?

We are getting somewhere. grin
But hey, are you trying to understand why I've become who I am today? Because that would be reeeeaaaly long. Can't possibly begin to expose such online. I've spent over an hour talking about my agnosticsm with only a handful of people, the most of whom were family. I also discussed it with one of my closest female friends (French).
Oh well. Enough chit-chat. Gotta go.
++
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by Kay17: 5:41pm On Feb 18, 2013
Ihedinobi:

Sorry. "Whatever you say, lady".

You didn't answer the Q though
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by Nobody: 5:59pm On Feb 18, 2013
Kay 17:

You didn't answer the Q though

What Q?
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by Nobody: 6:03pm On Feb 18, 2013
Iyineda:

We are getting somewhere. grin
But hey, are you trying to understand why I've become who I am today? Because that would be reeeeaaaly long. Can't possibly begin to expose such online. I've spent over an hour talking about my agnosticsm with only a handful of people, the most of whom were family. I also discussed it with one of my closest female friends (French).
Oh well. Enough chit-chat. Gotta go.
++

No, I am not trying to understand your decision. I'm trying to see how you refute my title as you say you do.
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by Kay17: 9:51pm On Feb 18, 2013
How did you know I was Male
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by Nobody: 12:37pm On Feb 19, 2013
Kay 17: How did you know I was Male

I did not know you were male. I guess it's just a stereotype I had. It's not very consistent with female psychology, as far as I know, to be so combatant about existential questions. Buy there are always exceptions.
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by MrAnony1(m): 12:55pm On Feb 19, 2013
Ihedinobi:

I did not know you were male. I guess it's just a stereotype I had. It's not very consistent with female psychology, as far as I know, to be so combatant about existential questions. Buy there are always exceptions.
Kay 17 is female?
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by Nobody: 1:21pm On Feb 19, 2013
Mr_Anony:
Kay 17 is female?

We may be dealing with a case of sexual confusion. First, there was a protest that I assumed he/she/it was male, then there was a seeming confirmation that it indeed is male. So, I'm afraid I don't know, bro. I certainly hope it's female. Imagine Kay 17 being female grin That's a 20-page thread. Lol
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by Iyineda(m): 2:23pm On Feb 19, 2013
Ihedinobi:

No, I am not trying to understand your decision. I'm trying to see how you refute my title as you say you do.

I simply refute the title because you claim "everybody" believes in a god. I just replied by saying I don't believe in a god.
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by Nobody: 2:41pm On Feb 19, 2013
Iyineda:

I simply refute the title because you claim "everybody" believes in a god. I just replied by saying I don't believe in a god.

Well, you see, I don't believe you. So you haven't refuted anything at all.
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by MacDaddy01: 2:49pm On Feb 19, 2013
MacDaddy01: This is the foolishness of theists/deists appearing again.

There is no evidence for god. You people keep using the same dead arguments.

Please, notice that all their evidence for god is based on mystery. How can a mystery be evidence when a mystery by definition is confusion because there is no evidence/clues to explain it.

Mysteries used as evidence for God;

-Ihedinobi starts the thread with the mystery of "self sufficiency"
-Deepsight and Enigma use the origin of the universe to claim God exists. (No one knows the full origin of the universe)
-Miracles. Something mysteriously happens (eg a person defeats cancer) and it is God that did it!

Seriously? angry angry angry angry

Let me debunk the Cosmological arguments for God once and for all
-Whatever the origin or cause of the universe we do not fully know. Anything that tries to explain it without empirical evidence or some data is a hypothesis.

-We can easily explain how something can come from something. We have no evidence nor reason to believe that an immaterial spirit being can create something.

-We have no evidence for spirits or invisible beings not now or ever. You cant even explain what a spirit is? Is it antimatter or gas? How would a spirit be able to create the world? One mystery used to explain the mystery of the origin of our universe!

#theism/deism debunked. cool

Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by MrAnony1(m): 3:30pm On Feb 19, 2013
Ihedinobi:

We may be dealing with a case of sexual confusion. First, there was a protest that I assumed he/she/it was male, then there was a seeming confirmation that it indeed is male. So, I'm afraid I don't know, bro. I certainly hope it's female. Imagine Kay 17 being female grin That's a 20-page thread. Lol
Lolol, I'll wait for him/her to clarify things. From where I stand though, I would never have guessed - not even vaguely - that Kay 17 was female
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by Nobody: 3:42pm On Feb 19, 2013
Mr_Anony:
Lolol, I'll wait for him/her to clarify things. From where I stand though, I would never have guessed - not even vaguely - that Kay 17 was female

My point exactly @ bold.
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by Nobody: 10:11am On Nov 13, 2013

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Your Wish For Nigeria In 2013? / The Quran Experiment / Submit To The Righteousness Of God- Pastor Chris

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.