Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,747 members, 7,820,578 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:28 PM

Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. (5284 Views)

Ese Walter Denounces Jesus, Says She No Longer Believes In God / "I Serve A God Who Answers Prayers" - American Doctor Cured Of Ebola / My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by EvilBrain1(m): 2:51am On Oct 12, 2012
1supremo:

... and you should realise that an absolute rejection of The Absolute is a self-defeating argument.

Nobody is absolutely rejecting anything. You can't absolutely disprove god any more than you can disprove father christmas. All atheists are saying is that there is no credible evidence that god or gods exist and there is no convincing philosophical argument that they exist. If some evidence were to appear (e.g. if god were to poke his bearded face though the clouds and say hi) then most of us would just accept that we were wrong and reevaluate our theories based on the new information.

Science is not a competition or a zero sum game. All we want is to uncover the truth.There are no winners or losers. When Einstein and co debunked centuries worth of Newtonian physics, the scientific world rejoiced. But that didn't make Newton's contributions any less valid.

Its only religious people that compete among themselves and struggle to make their dogmas win over those of others.

2 Likes

Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by Nobody: 3:21am On Oct 12, 2012
Evil Brain:
All atheists are saying is that there is no credible evidence that god or gods exist and there is no convincing philosophical argument that they exist. If some evidence were to appear,then most of us would just accept that we were wrong and reevaluate our theories based on the new information.

If this is ATHEISM, then I wonder what AGNOSTICISM posits.
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by EvilBrain1(m): 5:40am On Oct 12, 2012
1supremo:

If this is ATHEISM, then I wonder what AGNOSTICISM posits.

It depends on who you ask, but I consider anyone who openly doubts the existence of god to be an atheist. Merriam Webster defines an agnostic as " a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (as God) is unknown and probably unknowable".

Its really just hair splitting though. The important thing isn't what you believe, but how you arrived at it. If you believe what you believe because of childhood indoctrination, or because a man in a funny hat/turban told you, or because you read it in an old book, then you are religious. If you believe what you believe because it makes the most sense based on the information available to you without respect to fairytales and cultural myths, then you are a freethinker.

And because there isn't any credible evidence that god(s) actually exist, freethinkers are invariably atheists.
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by cyrexx: 6:41am On Oct 12, 2012
Ihedinobi:

Did you say the following, dude?

The evidence is right here on the thread, so I don't think that you'll deny saying it.

Consider the bolded words. They're the same and they apply to things that share the same characteristic: they both offer an explanation for existence. You say that you choose science over faith (whatever that means). We could loosely translate that to mean that you swear by science. It doesn't need to be put that way, but I think you get my meaning.

Also, you have conferred infallibility and immutability on science (the red statement in your comment, particularly the words, "true" and "valid"wink. These two qualities belong exclusively to that which is God.

By the two foregoing paragraphs, it is perfectly right to say that Science is your God.

is it that you are gradually losing your comprehensive abilities or you really want to dishonestly put those words in my my mouth?

i rely on scientific facts over religious faith means i worship science as god?

so when you trust weather reports and stock market reports that means meteorology and stock exchange is your god? dude, you really want to label me an idolater and condemn me and you will dishonestly go any length to do that for your god.

you claimed or implied that i said science is infallible. you lied again. science is not infallible, it evolves and accomodates advances in knowledge unlike religious faith.

i cant help but laugh when you you said the words such as "true", "valid" "infallible" "immutable" belongs to your god who is nothing but one of the thousands of gods humans have invented to explain what they dont know. grin i wont even dignify this deliberate and dishonest ignorance with an answer

you also implied that i trust science such that i can swear by it. what is it with you and trying to link everything to god and religion. why would i need to swear by science? it is when you are not trustworthy that you will need to swear by anything. i dont do that.

3 Likes

Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by Nobody: 7:29am On Oct 12, 2012
cyrexx:

is it that you are gradually losing your comprehensive abilities or you really want to dishonestly put those words in my my mouth?

i rely on scientific facts over religious faith means i worship science as god?

so when you trust weather reports and stock market reports that means meteorology and stock exchange is your god? dude, you really want to label me an idolater and condemn me and you will dishonestly go any length to do that for your god.

you claimed or implied that i said science is infallible. you lied again. science is not infallible, it evolves and accomodates advances in knowledge unlike religious faith.

i cant help but laugh when you you said the words such as "true", "valid" "infallible" "immutable" belongs to your god who is nothing but one of the thousands of gods humans have invented to explain what they dont know. grin i wont even dignify this deliberate and dishonest ignorance with an answer

you also implied that i trust science such that i can swear by it. what is it with you and trying to link everything to god and religion. why would i need to swear by science? it is when you are not trustworthy that you will need to swear by anything. i dont do that.

Gee, antsy, aren't we? grin Dude, nobody, at least not me, is condemning you.
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by wiegraf: 7:33am On Oct 12, 2012
Ihedinobi:

Gee, antsy, aren't we? grin Dude, nobody, at least not me, is condemning you.
LIAR. YOU ARE NOW FULL TROLLIN' SER!!

Edit: WHERE ARE THE PITCHFORKS

Ah $hit, too soo...
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by Nobody: 7:36am On Oct 12, 2012
wiegraf:

Actually I've been humoring you for a bit now.
BECAUSE THERE'S ABSOLUTELY NO EVIDENCE TO SUPPORT THAT. AND ALL LOGIC/THEORIES PUT FORTH SUPPORTING IT ARE AT NURSERY SCHOOL LEVEL

Do you understand now?

Ok, you are dead sure that there are no deities because there is no evidence for them, but you're not sure about a first cause () and so are of the opinion that they might exist. Then you posit that if there's a first cause, it's most certainly just natural laws.

Ok, define "first cause".
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by Nobody: 7:39am On Oct 12, 2012
wiegraf:
LIAR. YOU ARE NOW FULL TROLLIN' SER!!

Edit: WHERE ARE THE PITCHFORKS

Ah $hit, too soo...

lololololol grin grin grin The thread is just an examination of the truth of the philosophical position called atheism. To examine it, I posit that it is a lie and I'm addressing counter-arguments. How is any of that condemnation? Hehehehehehehehe
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by wiegraf: 7:50am On Oct 12, 2012
Ihedinobi:

Ok, you are dead sure that there are no deities because there is no evidence for them, but you're not sure about a first cause () and so are of the opinion that they might exist. Then you posit that if there's a first cause, it's most certainly just natural laws.

Ok, define "first cause".

For the most part I'd say your trying to pass off first cause as god, rather brazenly, is what irks me the most. It's a bit of a god of the gaps situation, plus some
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by Nobody: 8:03am On Oct 12, 2012
wiegraf:

For the most part I'd say your trying to pass off first cause as god, rather brazenly, is what irks me the most. It's a bit of a god of the gaps situation, plus some

I'm gonna copy every definition of the word, god, that I can find and paste it here so that we can quit running around and face issues, mm. I'll do it later though.
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by wiegraf: 8:36am On Oct 12, 2012
1supremo:

... and you should realise that an absolute rejection of The Absolute is a self-defeating argument.

Curious. How do you define god?
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by Nobody: 4:37pm On Oct 12, 2012
@wiegraf

Ihedinobi:

I'm gonna copy every definition of the word, god, that I can find and paste it here so that we can quit running around and face issues, mm. I'll do it later though.

Well, not really every. It'd be too long. But I'll give you quite a few. Here goes:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/god:
god
noun \ˈgäd also ˈgȯd\
Definition of GOD
capitalized : the supreme or ultimate reality: as
a : the Being perfect in power, wisdom, and goodness who is worshipped as creator and ruler of the universe
b Christian Science : the incorporeal divine Principle ruling over all as eternal Spirit : infinite Mind
: a being or object believed to have more than natural attributes and powers and to require human worship; specifically : one controlling a particular aspect or part of reality
: a person or thing of supreme value
: a powerful ruler

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/god:
God
   /gɒd/ Show Spelled[god] Show IPA
noun
the one Supreme Being, the creator and ruler of the universe.
the Supreme Being considered with reference to a particular attribute: the God of Islam.
( lowercase ) one of several deities, especially a male deity, presiding over some portion of worldly affairs.
( often lowercase ) a supreme being according to some particular conception: the god of mercy.
Christian Science . the Supreme Being, understood as Life, Truth, love, Mind, Soul, Spirit, Principle.
EXPAND
( lowercase ) an image of a deity; an idol.
( lowercase ) any deified person or object.
( often lowercase ) Gods, Theater .
a.
the upper balcony in a theater.
b.
the spectators in this part of the balcony.

World English Dictionary
god (ɡɒd)

— n
1. a supernatural being, who is worshipped as the controller of some part of the universe or some aspect of life in the world or is the personification of some forceRelated: divine
2. an image, idol, or symbolic representation of such a deity
3. any person or thing to which excessive attention is given: money was his god
4. a man who has qualities regarded as making him superior to other men
5. ( in plural ) the gallery of a theatre

Related: divine

[Old English god; related to Old Norse goth, Old High German got, Old Irish guth voice]

God (ɡɒd)

— n
1. theol the sole Supreme Being, eternal, spiritual, and transcendent, who is the Creator and ruler of all and is infinite in all attributes; the object of worship in monotheistic religions
2. play God to behave in an imperious or superior manner

— interj
3. an oath or exclamation used to indicate surprise, annoyance, etc (and in such expressions as My God! or God Almighty! )

Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 10th Edition
2009 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins
Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009
Cite This Source

ttp://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/God:
Definition of God
noun

1(in Christianity and other monotheistic religions) the creator and ruler of the universe and source of all moral authority; the supreme being.

2 (god) (in certain other religions) a superhuman being or spirit worshipped as having power over nature or human fortunes; a deity: a moon god the Hindu god Vishnu
an image, animal, or other object worshipped as divine or symbolizing a god: wooden gods from the Congo
used as a conventional personification of fate: he dialled the number and, the gods relenting, got through at once

3 (god) a greatly admired or influential person: he has little time for the fashion victims for whom he is a god
a thing accorded the supreme importance appropriate to a god: don’t make money your god

4 (the gods) informal the gallery in a theatre: they sat in the gods
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by Nobody: 4:52pm On Oct 12, 2012
^^^^^ The bolded show that the use of the word, God, for the insentient is permissible. Therefore, my use of it is correct. Again, wiegraf, once you consider natural laws or wvqpiqz to be first cause or ultimate reality or the absolute you have named them God. It doesn't matter that you impute insentience to them.
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by Nobody: 5:51pm On Oct 12, 2012
Ihedinobi: ^^^^^ The bolded show that the use of the word, God, for the insentient is permissible. Therefore, my use of it is correct. Again, wiegraf, once you consider natural laws or wvqpiqz to be first cause or ultimate reality or the absolute you have named them God. It doesn't matter that you impute insentience to them.

lol, this guy sees god in everything. Anyway, the "ultimate supreme absolutely necessary reality ultimate supreme Absolute Non-Contingent imperative Absolute" is THE GREAT LEPRECHUAN and he sh#ts diamonds every morning.
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by Nobody: 7:15pm On Oct 12, 2012
Martian:

lol, this guy sees god in everything. Anyway, the "ultimate supreme absolutely necessary reality ultimate supreme Absolute Non-Contingent imperative Absolute" is THE GREAT LEPRECHUAN and he sh#ts diamonds every morning.

lol.........it's settled then: you're no atheist. grin

2 Likes

Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by Nobody: 7:57pm On Oct 12, 2012
Ihedinobi:
lol.........it's settled then: you're no atheist. grin

lol, on a serious note though, I am not an atheist. I find the concept of god to be useless and ignorant and I find any attempted reification of the idea to be absurd and ridiculous. Calling myself an atheist means giving too much respect to the primitive and ill defined gods people worship.
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by Kay17: 9:04pm On Oct 12, 2012
Ihedinobi:

You do understand what it means for anything to be self-sufficient, right? That quality of self-sufficiency is what makes a thing God.

BUT that's just one attribute of the total att. of the Judeo Christian God. If I was to use such definition to seek God, it will be inadequate.
1supremo:

Go back to the post it was originally addressed to. If you want to sustain a conversation here, ask a different question.

You didn't make any sense. None of that post addresses the atheist.
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by Nobody: 9:11pm On Oct 12, 2012
Kay 17:

BUT that's just one attribute of the total att. of the Judeo Christian God. If I was to use such definition to seek God, it will be inadequate.

Self-sufficiency is the term that covers all the qualities of the Infinite, the Ultimate/Final/Absolute Reality.
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by Nobody: 9:12pm On Oct 12, 2012
Martian:

lol, on a serious note though, I am not an atheist. I find the concept of god to be useless and ignorant and I find any attempted reification of the idea to be absurd and ridiculous. Calling myself an atheist means giving too much respect to the primitive and ill defined gods people worship.

grin
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by Kay17: 9:15pm On Oct 12, 2012
@ihedinobi

The most significant attribute: Supernatural.
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by Nobody: 9:21pm On Oct 12, 2012
Kay 17: @ihedinobi

The most significant attribute: Supernatural.

If you so prefer. I myself have no problems with qualifying God as eternal, absolute, arbitrary, supernatural or whatever. It's just that in recent discussions I have come to the conclusion that it is enough to say "Self-sufficient" to totally describe that which is God.

But like I said, I have no bones with other descriptions or preferences.
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by Kay17: 10:10pm On Oct 12, 2012
That doesn't say much, neither does it answer the purpose for creation.

However, Supernatural counts more because it purports distinguishes God from his creation, by promoting an absurdity that an entity can act beyond its character, outside its identity.
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by wiegraf: 10:43pm On Oct 12, 2012
Kay 17: That doesn't say much, neither does it answer the purpose for creation.

However, Supernatural counts more because it purports distinguishes God from his creation, by promoting an absurdity that an entity can act beyond its character, outside its identity.

We have a simple winner here...
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by Saintparis1: 10:30am On Oct 13, 2012
I thought this quote was cool
OLAADEGBU: It is good to be honest with yourself but one can be honest and be honestly wrong. If you belong to the religion of "I don't know" that makes you an agnostic. This is the real position of those who think that they are atheists. There is nothing like atheism, it does not exist. If there were no God there will be no atheists. Hence, they are all agnostics.
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by manmustwac(m): 11:00am On Oct 13, 2012
Ihedinobi:

Do you exist?
YES I do exist and so dose my pet dog and pet parrot. Can you please prove that my pet dog and pet parrot both believe in God since they both exist to but don't go to church and don't show any signs of believing in a supreme being?
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by Nobody: 5:57pm On Oct 13, 2012
manmustwac: YES I do exist and so dose my pet dog and pet parrot. Can you please prove that my pet dog and pet parrot both believe in God since they both exist to but don't go to church and don't show any signs of believing in a supreme being?

You therefore take a condition called existence for granted. How do you explain this condition?
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by Nobody: 6:04pm On Oct 13, 2012
Kay 17: That doesn't say much, neither does it answer the purpose for creation.

Hehehe....... cheesy So you insist that God is that which is supernatural. And you insist on that so that those who choose to attribute Godhood to things found in nature can be called atheists. Lol grin Like, seriously? grin

Just refer to the definitions that I copy-pasted for wiegraf up there, will you. God is that which sufficiently explains existence (yet another definition that I give without cost to you guys, but which still is expressed in the compound, "self-sufficient). And there is no worldview that does not possess something of that element.
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by Nobody: 6:06pm On Oct 13, 2012
Saint paris: I thought this quote was cool

Great quote. Exactly my thought. Though I would go so far as to say that agnosticism is a dubious excuse.
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by Kay17: 7:19pm On Oct 13, 2012
Ihedinobi:

Hehehe....... cheesy So you insist that God is that which is supernatural. And you insist on that so that those who choose to attribute Godhood to things found in nature can be called atheists. Lol grin Like, seriously? grin

Just refer to the definitions that I copy-pasted for wiegraf up there, will you. God is that which sufficiently explains existence (yet another definition that I give without cost to you guys, but which still is expressed in the compound, "self-sufficient). And there is no worldview that does not possess something of that element.

Supernatural popped up in one of the definition, and as I said before, self sufficiency is inadequate, cos it does address a conscious being, or attach any role of a Creator, or an object of worship or morality.
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by Nobody: 7:37pm On Oct 13, 2012
Kay 17:

Supernatural popped up in one of the definition, and as I said before, self sufficiency is inadequate, cos it does address a conscious being, or attach any role of a Creator, or an object of worship or morality.

Could you please define self-sufficiency?
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by manmustwac(m): 7:47pm On Oct 13, 2012
Ihedinobi:

You therefore take a condition called existence for granted. How do you explain this condition?
How am i taking a condition you call existence for granted? Why are you putting words into my mouth? angry
Re: Atheism: A Lie. Everybody Believes In A God. by Nobody: 7:51pm On Oct 13, 2012
manmustwac: How am i taking a condition you call existence for granted? Why are you putting words into my mouth? angry

lol...... Then you don't? grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Dear Nairalanders; I Am Not An Atheist. / Why Is Understanding The Bible Important? / Your Wish For Nigeria In 2013?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.